HX650 v2 annoying fan curve

Permalänk
Medlem

HX650 v2 annoying fan curve

Hello,

I recently built my new gaming PC which includes the HX650 v2 as PSU. To my disappointment the fan of the PSU is making an annoying noise, the fan goes from standing still to spinning at a high RPM rate each 15 seconds. It spins at this rate in about 5 seconds and during that time it's the loudest part in my PC by far. Is the temperature controller broken or is this normal behaviour? I would rather have the fan going constantely at a low RPM than going from standing still a high RPM rate in these intervals.

Best regards

Permalänk
Corsair

Hi trolljägaren,
Is the turning off and on of the fan happens consistently? meaning, even if you have put the system under heavy load, the fan would still run and stop? OR it happens regardless of the load?

Sounds like the PWM controller is faulty. The fan should not run at all when your system is in idle. Let me know. Thanks

Permalänk
Medlem

Had the same problem with the two HX650 V2 I have owned. Is there any way one could fix this? Swapping fan? Swapping some sort of fan controller?

Visa signatur

O2+ODAC - Denon AH-D2000
MiniDSP SHD - Emotiva UPA1 - Had Oy högtalare

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Greybeard:

Hi trolljägaren,
Is the turning off and on of the fan happens consistently? meaning, even if you have put the system under heavy load, the fan would still run and stop? OR it happens regardless of the load?

Sounds like the PWM controller is faulty. The fan should not run at all when your system is in idle. Let me know. Thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't put my system in heavy load yet because I wanted to check if the behaviour was normal. My fan is not running in idle the first 30-50 minutes but after that the whole on and off procedure begins. As mentioned I haven't put my system under load yet, just seen videoclips in VLC and browsing the web with a maximum of 3 tabs open at the same time. Should I test what happens under load or how should I procede?

Best regards

Permalänk
Corsair
Skrivet av Kalium:

Had the same problem with the two HX650 V2 I have owned. Is there any way one could fix this? Swapping fan? Swapping some sort of fan controller?

Once you swap the fan, that will automatically void your warranty - I wouldn't suggest that you do that.

Skrivet av trolljägaren:

Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't put my system in heavy load yet because I wanted to check if the behaviour was normal. My fan is not running in idle the first 30-50 minutes but after that the whole on and off procedure begins. As mentioned I haven't put my system under load yet, just seen videoclips in VLC and browsing the web with a maximum of 3 tabs open at the same time. Should I test what happens under load or how should I procede?

Best regards

If the PSU's fan turns off and turns on while the system is on idle.. then it sounds like the PWM fan controller of the PSU is not working as intended. I'd suggest that you guys submit an RMA ticket and let's get them replaced.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Greybeard:

If the PSU's fan turns off and turns on while the system is on idle.. then it sounds like the PWM fan controller of the PSU is not working as intended. I'd suggest that you guys submit an RMA ticket and let's get them replaced.

Already done that a couple of times and I now have two spare Corsair HX650 v2 (and the AX750 you sent me which works GREAT, and my old HX620).

Visa signatur

O2+ODAC - Denon AH-D2000

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Greybeard:

Okay, how do I submit an RMA ticket? Do I contact the reseller or Corsair about this?

Permalänk
Corsair
Skrivet av Kalium:

Already done that a couple of times and I now have two spare Corsair HX650 v2 (and the AX750 you sent me which works GREAT, and my old HX620).

Two HX650 V2 were giving you the exact same problem? just wanted to make sure that I understood you correctly. What is the make and model of your MB?

Skrivet av trolljägaren:

Okay, how do I submit an RMA ticket? Do I contact the reseller or Corsair about this?

How long have you had the PSU? If you are within your re sellers return policy, then I'd suggest that you take advantage of that as it's probably quicker, but if you are not, then please submit a ticket here and we can sort it out from there.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Greybeard:

Two HX650 V2 were giving you the exact same problem? just wanted to make sure that I understood you correctly. What is the make and model of your MB?

Correct!

I have the Asus P6T V2 Deluxe motherboard. Intel i7 920 CPU and 3x2GB Corsair 1333MHz RAM.

Visa signatur

O2+ODAC - Denon AH-D2000

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Greybeard:

How long have you had the PSU? If you are within your re sellers return policy, then I'd suggest that you take advantage of that as it's probably quicker, but if you are not, then please submit a ticket here and we can sort it out from there.

I've only had it for a week so I'll contact the reseller. Thanks for the help!

Permalänk
Corsair
Skrivet av Kalium:

Correct!

I have the Asus P6T V2 Deluxe motherboard. Intel i7 920 CPU and 3x2GB Corsair 1333MHz RAM.

Thanks. Do you mind providing a video? I'd like the see if this is the same issue as trolljägaren.

Permalänk
Corsair
Skrivet av trolljägaren:

I've only had it for a week so I'll contact the reseller. Thanks for the help!

No problem at all

If you run into any issues, simple let me know.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Greybeard:

Thanks. Do you mind providing a video? I'd like the see if this is the same issue as trolljägaren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iHnrLzScec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kgxaGzxuWI

The old videos I did. Can't be arsed to swap PSU one more time to film it again.

Visa signatur

O2+ODAC - Denon AH-D2000

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Kalium:

The old videos I did. Can't be arsed to swap PSU one more time to film it again.

Yep that's the problem I got too.

Permalänk
Corsair
Skrivet av Kalium:

Thanks Kalium. I've looked at vides and it does sound like the noise is not normal and something that we would expect. Are you currently using these PSUs? If not, I would like to check them myself for failure analysis and found both PSU's are indeed faulty, then we'll replace both of them. If you are wiling to send those back to us, I would ask you to submit an RMA ticket and we'll arrange the shipping fees at our own expense. Let me know.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello again!

After a long while waiting on the RMA process to end I got my money back for the PSU and bought a new one for two days ago. To my disappointment the new PSU behaves the exact same way. I'm quite astonished by this since Kalium too did get two faulty PSU's... Luckily I bought the PSU in a physical store this time, should I just submit an RMA again?

Permalänk
Corsair

Sorry to hear that trolljägaren.. I have a feeling your PSU is coming from a older batch that had that known noise issue. I think it's best that we replace the unit for you this time and not through your local store.

Create an RMA and ping me with the RMA # and I'll see to it that we cover your shipment both ways.

Permalänk
Medlem

I created a ticket moments ago on the website but I was directed to "ask a question" so I haven't got an RMA number yet. But I'll get back to you as soon as I got one.

Permalänk
Corsair

As soon that you get a ticket #, let me know right away and I'll make sure that we look into it right away.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi again!

I thought I should give you guys an update. I got my new PSU today, the shipping went very fast and I didn't have to pay anything for the freight as Greybeard promised. I've mounted it in my computer but to my disappointment the new PSU behaves like the old ones with the fan standing still then starts to spin in specific intervals. The difference is that the fan is not standing still for the first 15-20 minutes like with the old ones. It starts spinning in the same intervals as before but in a lower RPM than the old ones if the PC is in idle and then in a higher RPM if I start to browse the web. So the new PSU I got isn't as noisy as my last ones but it doesn't seem to work as intended.

On the website it says that the fan should not spin until the system reaches 40% load but with my PSU the fan never stand entirely still when it's in idle. When my system is in idle (just running Windows 7 and no extra programs) it consumes 50W, measured with a Voltcraft Energy Monitor 3000 (the same one Sweclockers' staff use for their power measurements) and that's less than 8%. So to my conclusion the new PSU I got seems to be faulty as well, am I correct?

Permalänk
Corsair

If there is no more noise and the system is stable, then from what you are describing, that sounds normal to me. The PWM control is combination of both load and temp. You may not reach 40% system load, but your internal temp is probably the one tapping the fan to kick in.

Permalänk
Medlem

Okay, yeah the noise isn't as bad as before, now it sounds like a fan should do which my earlier ones did not and I can live with that.

I also want to thank you for your support Greybeard, the customer service has been really good and the situation was handled in a professional manner!

I also think it's great that your company is represented here at Sweclockers which opens up for quick responses and makes it easy for both me and others to follow up the process.

Cheers!

Permalänk
Corsair

No problem at all I'll pass along the good news to our customer service.

If you run into any issues again in the future, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thanks

Permalänk
Medlem

I have another question, should the fan make a creaking sound? It sounds a bit like a moped in the distant.

You can hear it in the clip Kalium posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iHnrLzScec

At 1:00 to 1:07 and 1:22 to 1:26.

Permalänk
Corsair

It's really hard to say.. do you have video clip I can look (hear) at? tbh, any PSU can produce noise at any given time, the rule is, as long that they are not ridiculously louder than any case fans while running, then it is not uncommon.

Permalänk
Skrivet av trolljägaren:

I have another question, should the fan make a creaking sound? It sounds a bit like a moped in the distant.

You can hear it in the clip Kalium posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iHnrLzScec

At 1:00 to 1:07 and 1:22 to 1:26.

Just enjoy the sound of your computer/PSU being alive :'D
It's speaking to me...

Visa signatur

Mitt kärnkraftverk
|Asus PRIME-B350-PLUS|PH-TC14PE_OR|Ryzen 5 1400@3890MHz|Vega 56@Vega64bios |Corsair 2x4GB 3200MHz|Corsair TX 650w Bronze|CM Storm Enforcer|AOC G2460PF / 24"144Hz FreeSync|

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Greybeard:

It's really hard to say.. do you have video clip I can look (hear) at? tbh, any PSU can produce noise at any given time, the rule is, as long that they are not ridiculously louder than any case fans while running, then it is not uncommon.

Yes I have a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFgO5Gl3h4k&feature=youtu.be
I put together two sequences where the fan started to run and cut out the parts where it stood still.
I've never heard a fan sound like that so that's the reason i wondered but it's probably not something abnormal.

Permalänk
Corsair
Skrivet av trolljägaren:

Yes I have a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFgO5Gl3h4k&feature=youtu.be
I put together two sequences where the fan started to run and cut out the parts where it stood still.
I've never heard a fan sound like that so that's the reason i wondered but it's probably not something abnormal.

Not sure if it's just me, but tbh, I didn't hear anything at all. All seems to be quiet and none of the any unexpected noise.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Greybeard:

Not sure if it's just me, but tbh, I didn't hear anything at all. All seems to be quiet and none of the any unexpected noise.

Since you don't hear it it's probably as I thought, not something unnatural.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Greybeard:

Thanks Kalium. I've looked at vides and it does sound like the noise is not normal and something that we would expect. Are you currently using these PSUs? If not, I would like to check them myself for failure analysis and found both PSU's are indeed faulty, then we'll replace both of them. If you are wiling to send those back to us, I would ask you to submit an RMA ticket and we'll arrange the shipping fees at our own expense. Let me know.

Hello and sorry for a very late reply! I went abroad travelling for almost a year and I have totally forgotten about this until now when I found the power supplies in my old storage room. I am actually planning on trying to replace the fan on one of them and use it in a HTPC I am building for my brother's birthday. However I stumbled across this thread and if you still want to have a look at them you are very welcome to do so if you help me with the return shipping.

@Greybeard

Visa signatur

O2+ODAC - Denon AH-D2000