Notebook and tablet related questions

Permalänk

Notebook and tablet related questions

Welcome to the MSI Notebooks thread!
Here you can ask questions or discuss any other matters relating to notebooks and tablet hardware and software.

Information and details of our notebooks can be found at our Dragon Army Website

As in the other "Butiker och tillverkare" threads and forums, the idea with our presence here is NOT to replace our traditional customer service or RMA department. For warranty and RMA issues please visit http://register.msi.com/

FAQ

General issues
- WiFi constantly loses connection

- Install Killer LAN driver only (No management application)

- GS70 Stealth - Hotkey Config

- How to play surrounded sound via SPDIF output?

- Battery Calibration tool always shows [????/??/??] on status info?

- I have game lags when I play the game installed on my WD hard drive, and I can constantly hear sounds from my hard drive when it's working.

- How to reset system back to Windows 8 factory setting if my laptop had been updated to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8?

- Why can’t I use my touch pad after plugging in the mouse?

- My OS is pre-installed with Windows 8 in the factory. Now I want to install Windows 7, but a message is shown “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This selected disk is of the GPT partition style”. What can I do?

- When I try to boot up or reboot the laptop, the OS always show "Configuring Windows Features" during this time and sometimes it takes several minutes to wait. (For Windows 8 system)

- If BIOS password is forgotten, is there a way to retrieve it?

- Recently I found there is a new Wireless Network Connection using Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. Is there any way to disable this? (For Windows 7)

I have Atheros Wireless Lan card (AW-NE785H) on my system which is able to link to routers, but can not browse any website or disconnected immediately during ping IP.

- USB devices that are connected to a computer may not work after the computer is idle for more than one hour Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2.

Permalänk
Medlem

Why is it that if you have a defect component (i.e. a fan or a bluetooth module) on your notebook, there's no possibility of sending it in separately in exchange for a new one rather than sending the whole notebook in for repairs, which could take more than 6 weeks?

Any manufacturer that take their customer relationship seriously should provide a proper way of dealing with defect products where the customer can feel appreciated. One of the reasons I purchased your product is because of the two-year warranty, but now I have no way of applying it because I need my device for work, and can't send it away for several weeks to get something you did wrong in the beginning fixed. I have to pay for the new component.

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Visa signatur

Fractal Define R5 || Cooler Master V750S || Asus Z97-A || Intel i7 4790K + Hyper 212 Evo || EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ || Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 1600MHz || 850 EVO 500GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 4 TB HDD

Permalänk
Skrivet av OskarD90:

Why is it that if you have a defect component (i.e. a fan or a bluetooth module) on your notebook, there's no possibility of sending it in separately in exchange for a new one rather than sending the whole notebook in for repairs, which could take more than 6 weeks?

Any manufacturer that take their customer relationship seriously should provide a proper way of dealing with defect products where the customer can feel appreciated. One of the reasons I purchased your product is because of the two-year warranty, but now I have no way of applying it because I need my device for work, and can't send it away for several weeks to get something you did wrong in the beginning fixed. I have to pay for the new component.

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Hi OskarD90,

I asked the question to our RMA department internally to see whether it is possible to send in for example a Bluetooth module separately, instead of sending in your whole notebook for reparation. I will come back to you asap.

/Jerry

--

OskarD90, I've checked if there are possibilities to send in components separately as for example a LCD panel, however this is not possible. The reason behind this I try to explain with the following: Our rules say that the customer need to send back the whole unit to service if he or she identifies a fault with the notebook . First of all we will test the notebook to confirm the fault , for example an issue as “no picture on LCD” will be resolved by checking the Main Board, LCD panel , LVDS Cables , etc. At the same time we want to prevent people to repair their notebook by themselves, because the risk involved that they might damage other elements, we will need to charge repair and transport costs if this happens.

/Jerry

Permalänk
Medlem

High end laptops GT70

I am considering buying one of your laptops the MSI GT70 2PE-1619NE. Curious why in such a high-end product there is none of the following four features: eSATA connector, FireWire, PCCard/ExpressCard connector, Thunderbolt connector. While I can understand that space will be a very limiting factor for the PCCard/ExpressCard feature the lack of all three of the others leaves me searching for alternatives from other manufacturers.

PS If FireWire is ever implemented please be sure to chose a Texas Instrument chipset - then the laptop will become extremely suitable for live audio production.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI-official:

Hi OskarD90,

I asked the question to our RMA department internally to see whether it is possible to send in for example a Bluetooth module separately, instead of sending in your whole notebook for reparation. I will come back to you asap.

/Jerry

--

OskarD90, I've checked if there are possibilities to send in components separately as for example a LCD panel, however this is not possible. The reason behind this I try to explain with the following: Our rules say that the customer need to send back the whole unit to service if he or she identifies a fault with the notebook . First of all we will test the notebook to confirm the fault , for example an issue as “no picture on LCD” will be resolved by checking the Main Board, LCD panel , LVDS Cables , etc. At the same time we want to prevent people to repair their notebook by themselves, because the risk involved that they might damage other elements, we will need to charge repair and transport costs if this happens.

/Jerry

How about you send me a fan and I turn it in to a computer repair shop near me and have them perform the switch? You can test the broken fan after I send it back easily and without the rest of the computer, or you could just trust me because there is no market for used notebook fans in Sweden.

Also it does not really make sense that you wouldn't allow your users to switch their fan of Bluetooth module, because it is equally difficult to switching the hard drive or installing an SSD, which you do allow.

Visa signatur

Fractal Define R5 || Cooler Master V750S || Asus Z97-A || Intel i7 4790K + Hyper 212 Evo || EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ || Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 1600MHz || 850 EVO 500GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 4 TB HDD

Permalänk
Skrivet av andbir:

I am considering buying one of your laptops the MSI GT70 2PE-1619NE. Curious why in such a high-end product there is none of the following four features: eSATA connector, FireWire, PCCard/ExpressCard connector, Thunderbolt connector. While I can understand that space will be a very limiting factor for the PCCard/ExpressCard feature the lack of all three of the others leaves me searching for alternatives from other manufacturers.

PS If FireWire is ever implemented please be sure to chose a Texas Instrument chipset - then the laptop will become extremely suitable for live audio production.

We always have to consider what features to put on our notebooks. All features cost money and space, so we always have to make choices.
Since the GT70 is a gaming notbeook, we focussed on features like SuperRAID, Steelseries Keyboard with SteelSeries Engine, Dynaudio speakers, Audio Boost and Killer LAN (and many more).
We think those features are most attractive for our gaming customers and we get very positive feedback on those features from our gaming community.

Features like eSATA/ Firewire/ ExpressCard can be interesting for other customers (business uses, audio recording or other uses) but that's not the focus when we designed the GT70 notebooks.

Permalänk
Skrivet av OskarD90:

How about you send me a fan and I turn it in to a computer repair shop near me and have them perform the switch? You can test the broken fan after I send it back easily and without the rest of the computer, or you could just trust me because there is no market for used notebook fans in Sweden.

Also it does not really make sense that you wouldn't allow your users to switch their fan of Bluetooth module, because it is equally difficult to switching the hard drive or installing an SSD, which you do allow.

Hi OskarD90,

Standard rule for RMA for majority of vendors is that self-repair or opening up a notebook is not permitted hence the sticker on the backside of the notebook. Most vendors including MSI turn a blind eye to self-repair of widely available hardware such as HDD/SSD/Memory main reason is that if push comes to shove we are still to repair the notebook if the damage is not caused by the swapped out part or the action taken for swapping out the part (damages to chassis or other components).

While I know this doesn't solve your problem, I do hope it gives you a better understanding why some things are “allowed” and others are not. It is not a matter of trust in the ability of our customers but simply the rules we have to live by when it comes to RMA.

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Medlem

It's unfortunate since the GT70 is such an excellent laptop; while each one of the abovementioned missing features is no biggie, the combination of the three makes the laptop somewhat non-extendable. That said, it's an awesome system and the possibility to attach three different screens, each with different content is a killer feature for a VJ (video-dj) setup.

Permalänk

MSI GT72 Dominator
Will it come with 120hz ? Because a gaming laptop with 60hz, Is not a laptop for gaming.

There's so much wrong with this laptop, sounds like all you've done is trying to get as high numbers as possible, 4x128gb ssd in raid 0, 32gb ram, Ect ect. Well it could have been done much better, I am kinda disappointed.

Visa signatur

I was in Hong Kong and this guy on the street was selling these dodgy-looking CDs labelled 'Rindows' and 'Frotoshop'.
Display driver uninstaller

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi, I've recently purchased a GS60 Pro and I'm overall very happy with it! One of the reasons i choose to buy it was its discrete looks so I'm just wondering if its possible to turn the keyboard backlighting off as default?

Right now i've set Layer 1 in the SteelSeries software to "black" because it always seems to start with backlight layer 1 enabled. Any other way?

Regarding the red backlight on startup that is glowing even before windows is started, is there a BIOS-setting for this function?

Permalänk
Skrivet av CitroFrukten:

MSI GT72 Dominator
Will it come with 120hz ? Because a gaming laptop with 60hz, Is not a laptop for gaming.

There's so much wrong with this laptop, sounds like all you've done is trying to get as high numbers as possible, 4x128gb ssd in raid 0, 32gb ram, Ect ect. Well it could have been done much better, I am kinda disappointed.

There are no plans for 120Hz LCD panels yet. At the moment we do not see the benefit justifying the price premium yet.
Maybe this will change in the future.

Permalänk
Medlem

When will the GT72 --007 model launch in the nordic countries? And what's up with the prices, the GT70 models recently bumped up the price tag both in both Norway and Sweden.

Also, would you care to explain the laptop model codes.

I have come to the following understanding:

First letter:
U-models Ultraportable
X-models Style+slim
P-models Professional
G-models Gamers
W-models Workstation CAD/3d modelling etc

Second letter:
T- High-end discrete graphics card
X- Mid-level discrete graphics card
E- Entry-level discrete graphics card
R- Integrated graphics
S- ???

3rd digit:
7 - 17 inch screen
6 - 15.6 inch screen
4 - 14 inch screen

So far so good (except for the S, which I would like explained)

Now to the details: What separates the 2OL/2OK/2OJ from the ONG/ONH and the 2PE/2PC and the 3CC/3EE ?

I assume the very last part of the product name is just a version-number if there are different iterations of each model followed by l two letters that designate the localization (NE for nordic)

Permalänk
Skrivet av andbir:

When will the GT72 --007 model launch in the nordic countries? And what's up with the prices, the GT70 models recently bumped up the price tag both in both Norway and Sweden.

Also, would you care to explain the laptop model codes.

I have come to the following understanding:

First letter:
U-models Ultraportable
X-models Style+slim
P-models Professional
G-models Gamers
W-models Workstation CAD/3d modelling etc

Second letter:
T- High-end discrete graphics card
X- Mid-level discrete graphics card
E- Entry-level discrete graphics card
R- Integrated graphics
S- ???

3rd digit:
7 - 17 inch screen
6 - 15.6 inch screen
4 - 14 inch screen

So far so good (except for the S, which I would like explained)

Now to the details: What separates the 2OL/2OK/2OJ from the ONG/ONH and the 2PE/2PC and the 3CC/3EE ?

I assume the very last part of the product name is just a version-number if there are different iterations of each model followed by l two letters that designate the localization (NE for nordic)

Dear andbir,

You came a very long way in translating our marketing names.

First letter 100% correct
Second letter, Almost correct. X stands for AMD platform (CPU+GPU) and the S stands for Slim
Third digit, 100% correct again

The second part of the marketing name is a bit more difficult to explain as it is linked to CPU generation and GPU version.. though there is no logical explaination what letter or number we put.

Indeed the numbers after the - is a version number.. randomly generated.. and indeed NE stands for Nordics.. this is connected to Keyboard.

With regards to GT72 you can expect them beginning to middle of August in most e-tailers.. We will have a couple of Sku`s at launch.. currently finalizing our pricing i will update this post in comming days with the estimated end-user pricing.

GT72 2PE-033NE i7-4710HQ / 32GB / 512GB SSD + 1x 1TB 7200RPM / BD Writer / GTX880M 8GB DDR5 / W8.1
GT72 2PE-024NE i7-4710HQ / 16GB / 256GB SSD + 1x 1TB 7200RPM / BD Writer / GTX880M 8GB DDR5 / W8.1
GT72 2PE-028NE i7-4710HQ / 16GB / 128GB SSD + 1x 1TB 7200RPM / BD Writer / GTX880M 8GB DDR5 / W8.1
GT72 2PC-060NE i7-4710HQ / 16GB / 256GB SSD + 1x 1TB 7200RPM / Super Multi / GTX870M 6GB DDR5 / W8.1
GT72 2PC-064NE i7-4710HQ / 16GB / 128GB SSD + 1x 1TB 7200RPM / Super Multi / GTX870M 6GB DDR5 / W8.1

If you have any questions.. please let me know.

Best Regards,

Bart

Permalänk
Skrivet av gestro:

Hi, I've recently purchased a GS60 Pro and I'm overall very happy with it! One of the reasons i choose to buy it was its discrete looks so I'm just wondering if its possible to turn the keyboard backlighting off as default?

Right now i've set Layer 1 in the SteelSeries software to "black" because it always seems to start with backlight layer 1 enabled. Any other way?

Regarding the red backlight on startup that is glowing even before windows is started, is there a BIOS-setting for this function?

Actually the on/off state of the keyboard backlight isn't recorded on the current models like GS60. The first model that will have this function will be GT72.

On current models you can turn-off the backlight by pressing Fn+NumpadPlus but you have to do it after every restart. The other way is the way you already found out. Choosing black color for Layer 1 in Steel Series Engine (SSE).

MSI current EC firmware default is always ON and in RED color before entering OS or if SSE isn't installed. In windows, SSE takes over the keyboard backlight color control. And yes you're correct SSE always starts with Layer1 active, we have no way to change this atm.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello. The HDD on my MSI GX660 is not working properly anymore. I am thinking of changing it to a SSD drive but I read that there was a compatibility issue with some SSD, they didnt work. The forums I read about it were from 2011 so I was wondering if the issue remains or if it was fixed through some bios update?

Will this SSD work, Crucial M500 SSD 2.5"?

Permalänk
Skrivet av Gameshen:

Hello. The HDD on my MSI GX660 is not working properly anymore. I am thinking of changing it to a SSD drive but I read that there was a compatibility issue with some SSD, they didnt work. The forums I read about it were from 2011 so I was wondering if the issue remains or if it was fixed through some bios update?

Will this SSD work, Crucial M500 SSD 2.5"?

Hi Gameshen,

based on your question I had a look around and it seems this notebook is picky when it comes to SSDs.
When this notebook was launched SSDs weren't commonly used and this notebook was only tested and sold with HDDs. Therefore no official list of approved SSDs is available. Since 2011 there have been no new bioses releases.
Looking at user feedback, the Sandforce SSDs seem to cause the most issues running on AHCI. Switching to IDE can solve this, but usually results in a lower SSD performance.
Intel SSDs seem to work best with the GX660 so if I can recommend any SSD it would be one of those.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Actually the on/off state of the keyboard backlight isn't recorded on the current models like GS60. The first model that will have this function will be GT72.

On current models you can turn-off the backlight by pressing Fn+NumpadPlus but you have to do it after every restart. The other way is the way you already found out. Choosing black color for Layer 1 in Steel Series Engine (SSE).

MSI current EC firmware default is always ON and in RED color before entering OS or if SSE isn't installed. In windows, SSE takes over the keyboard backlight color control. And yes you're correct SSE always starts with Layer1 active, we have no way to change this atm.

Thanks for your reply! Too bad its not possible to disable as of right now though :/ Do you think it will be possible with future software? Something beeing released with the GT72 that can be flashed onto the GS60?

Permalänk
Skrivet av gestro:

Thanks for your reply! Too bad its not possible to disable as of right now though :/ Do you think it will be possible with future software? Something beeing released with the GT72 that can be flashed onto the GS60?

Unfortunately it needs to be part of the Embedded Controller Firmware (EC) (form the beginning) and the current GS60 does not have this.
The GT72 will have it because the EC firmware was built from scratch and we got this feedback before we designed it.
Maybe the EC firmware in newer generations of GS60 will also have this but this firmware most likely won't be compatible with the current GS60.

Your solution by turning off the back-lighting in Layer1 of the SSE software is the best way for this model.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Unfortunately it needs to be part of the Embedded Controller Firmware (EC) (form the beginning) and the current GS60 does not have this.
The GT72 will have it because the EC firmware was built from scratch and we got this feedback before we designed it.
Maybe the EC firmware in newer generations of GS60 will also have this but this firmware most likely won't be compatible with the current GS60.

Your solution by turning off the back-lighting in Layer1 of the SSE software is the best way for this model.

Ok, thanks. While we're on the topic, is the LED around the powerbutton any different? Possible to turn it off somehow or is it also part of the EC firmware and not controllable any other way? Im asking since the power button LED is awfully bright when watching video in dark rooms for example.

The fast response is much appriciated!

Permalänk
Skrivet av gestro:

Ok, thanks. While we're on the topic, is the LED around the powerbutton any different? Possible to turn it off somehow or is it also part of the EC firmware and not controllable any other way? Im asking since the power button LED is awfully bright when watching video in dark rooms for example.

The fast response is much appriciated!

I have checked with our HQ in Taiwan and with current models it is not possible to turn off the Powerbutton LED or lower its brightness.

We have feed backed your idea to the design department.
They will discuss and decide if the idea will be implemented while designing future models.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

With regards to GT72 you can expect them beginning to middle of August in most e-tailers.. We will have a couple of Sku`s at launch..

GT72 2PE-033NE i7-4710HQ / 32GB / 512GB SSD + 1x 1TB 7200RPM / BD Writer / GTX880M 8GB DDR5 / W8.1
GT72 2PE-024NE i7-4710HQ / 16GB / 256GB SSD + 1x 1TB 7200RPM / BD Writer / GTX880M 8GB DDR5 / W8.1
GT72 2PE-028NE i7-4710HQ / 16GB / 128GB SSD + 1x 1TB 7200RPM / BD Writer / GTX880M 8GB DDR5 / W8.1
GT72 2PC-060NE i7-4710HQ / 16GB / 256GB SSD + 1x 1TB 7200RPM / Super Multi / GTX870M 6GB DDR5 / W8.1
GT72 2PC-064NE i7-4710HQ / 16GB / 128GB SSD + 1x 1TB 7200RPM / Super Multi / GTX870M 6GB DDR5 / W8.1

So far I have only seen 2PE-028NE announced to become available on August 28th from komplett.no/.se when will the -024 and -033 be available? Is the end-customer pricing finalized?

Permalänk
Skrivet av andbir:

So far I have only seen 2PE-028NE announced to become available on August 28th from komplett.no/.se when will the -024 and -033 be available? Is the end-customer pricing finalized?

Hi Andbir,

Our partners are in the process of creating the products in there respective systems more models will show up soon we have had a slight delay in the arrive of the goods, expected on shelf date will be end of August to beginning of September. Our suggested pricing for the models is as below.

GT72 2PE-033NE SEK 24,990
GT72 2PE-024NE SEK 21,490
GT72 2PC-060NE SEK 19,190
GT72 2PE-028NE SEK 16,490
GT72 2PC-064NE SEK 15,990

Br,
Bart

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi there!

I have had a problem with my MSI GE70 for a while now but I have not done anything about it yet. And I think I should deal with it now before things catch fire ...

The problem is that some processes take up a lot of CPU usage. Leading to the fans run at full speed and the computer getting hot. These processes will be started very randomly. It can sometimes be directly when I log in, when I'm just browsing, or when playing games.

Sometimes it's several processes that begin run simultaneously and then the CPU can easily be above 60% when I'm just looking at the desktop ...

Some examples of processes that usually take a lot of CPU usage.

System Integrity Check and Repair
Modules Windows Installer Worker
Windows SQM consolidator
Windows host process (Runddl32)

http://i.imgur.com/rnfUgAv.png
http://i.imgur.com/joMY5n6.png

Each process usually takes up between 15-25% of CPU each

I'm thinking of reformatting the hard drive using the program Burn Recovery that came with the computer. And if I do so, how do I know what my windows key is? because the operating system was already installed when I got the computer delivered. Is it even recommended to use the program to restore everything perfectly?

I would prefer to do it by using a USB flash drive, to avoid having to bother with a lot of discs. What type of USB should i use for it to go well during the formatting, or will any work?

Permalänk
Skrivet av swinkie:

Hi there!

I have had a problem with my MSI GE70 for a while now but I have not done anything about it yet. And I think I should deal with it now before things catch fire ...

The problem is that some processes take up a lot of CPU usage. Leading to the fans run at full speed and the computer getting hot. These processes will be started very randomly. It can sometimes be directly when I log in, when I'm just browsing, or when playing games.

Sometimes it's several processes that begin run simultaneously and then the CPU can easily be above 60% when I'm just looking at the desktop ...

Some examples of processes that usually take a lot of CPU usage.

System Integrity Check and Repair
Modules Windows Installer Worker
Windows SQM consolidator
Windows host process (Runddl32)

http://i.imgur.com/rnfUgAv.png
http://i.imgur.com/joMY5n6.png

Each process usually takes up between 15-25% of CPU each

I'm thinking of reformatting the hard drive using the program Burn Recovery that came with the computer. And if I do so, how do I know what my windows key is? because the operating system was already installed when I got the computer delivered. Is it even recommended to use the program to restore everything perfectly?

I would prefer to do it by using a USB flash drive, to avoid having to bother with a lot of discs. What type of USB should i use for it to go well during the formatting, or will any work?

It looks like a software issue. High CPU load and system resource hogging is often caused by malware. Maybe malware or maybe some Windows files are corrupted.
It can be hard troubleshooting software issues. You could try using Malwarebytes antimalware (free edition) and of course a virus scanner.

If all else fails you might want to reinstall Windows.
You can reinstall Windows using the Recovery DVDs made by the MSI Burn Recovery program.
The MSI Burn Recovery program can also make a recovery image on a large USB stick (>20GB) but the DVDs
are always good to have as backup.

Windows recovered this way will automatically be activated (via bios and OEM license).

If you want to install by a regular Windows installation DVD, the activation is a little different.
If you have a GE70 that was originally shipped with Win7 the key is on the Windows Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the bottom of the notebook.
If you have GE70 that was shipped with Win8.0 the key is inside the bios and the Windows setup will use that key for activation.
Please note that the bios key for Win8.0 is different than the key for Win8.1.
If the GE70 was shipped with Win8.0 you have to use the Win8.0 installation DVD and update later to Win8.1 (otherwise it won't activate).
If the GE70 was shipped with Win8.1 you can go directly to Win8.1 with the Win8.1 installation DVD.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

It looks like a software issue. High CPU load and system resource hogging is often caused by malware. Maybe malware or maybe some Windows files are corrupted.
It can be hard troubleshooting software issues. You could try using Malwarebytes antimalware (free edition) and of course a virus scanner.

If all else fails you might want to reinstall Windows.
You can reinstall Windows using the Recovery DVDs made by the MSI Burn Recovery program.
The MSI Burn Recovery program can also make a recovery image on a large USB stick (>20GB) but the DVDs
are always good to have as backup.

Windows recovered this way will automatically be activated (via bios and OEM license).

If you want to install by a regular Windows installation DVD, the activation is a little different.
If you have a GE70 that was originally shipped with Win7 the key is on the Windows Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the bottom of the notebook.
If you have GE70 that was shipped with Win8.0 the key is inside the bios and the Windows setup will use that key for activation.
Please note that the bios key for Win8.0 is different than the key for Win8.1.
If the GE70 was shipped with Win8.0 you have to use the Win8.0 installation DVD and update later to Win8.1 (otherwise it won't activate).
If the GE70 was shipped with Win8.1 you can go directly to Win8.1 with the Win8.1 installation DVD.

Thank you very much for the answer, it is really appreciated!

I'll try Malwarebytes first to see if that helps, otherwise I run DVDs as you suggested. I'm a little curious how Burn Recovery recovers everything. Will it be a completely clean version of Windows, or do I get pre-installed software as when I bought it?

And I guess I should use DVD-RW and not just DVD-R?

Permalänk
Skrivet av swinkie:

Thank you very much for the answer, it is really appreciated!

I'll try Malwarebytes first to see if that helps, otherwise I run DVDs as you suggested. I'm a little curious how Burn Recovery recovers everything. Will it be a completely clean version of Windows, or do I get pre-installed software as when I bought it?

And I guess I should use DVD-RW and not just DVD-R?

One thing I forgot to mention. The hard disk also has a hidden partition with he recovery image on it.
Still I would first try the Malwarebytes program. It is also still recommended to keep a Recovery DVD set (create with MSI Burn Recovery).

To recover from the hidden partition with a Win7 GE70 you just need to press F3 right after the bios loads during start up.
With a Win8 GE70 you can "reset" to factory defaults in Windows.
Or also with F3 if windows no longer boots.

Guide creating the recovery DVD Set.
Guide using the recovery DVD set to restore the notebook to factory defaults

Whichever method you choose (hidden partition or recovery DVD set), the software will be completely restored to factory defaults. So all software that was preinstalled by MSI will be restored.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

One thing I forgot to mention. The hard disk also has a hidden partition with he recovery image on it.
Still I would first try the Malwarebytes program. It is also still recommended to keep a Recovery DVD set (create with MSI Burn Recovery).

To recover from the hidden partition with a Win7 GE70 you just need to press F3 right after the bios loads during start up.
With a Win8 GE70 you can "reset" to factory defaults in Windows.
Or also with F3 if windows no longer boots.

Guide creating the recovery DVD Set.
Guide using the recovery DVD set to restore the notebook to factory defaults

Whichever method you choose (hidden partition or recovery DVD set), the software will be completely restored to factory defaults. So all software that was preinstalled by MSI will be restored.

Malwarebytes did the trick and I have no further problems with the CPU. For now it has been several days since the CPU usage increased. Thank you so much for that advice!

I will still create the disks and eventually restore it to factory default. I'll probably try the hidden partition to see how it works.

Edit: But when I create the recovery, I can choose between three options. DVD, USB and ISO. Do you prefer to run the ISO where you have to use programs like Nero Burner and so even if you're not used to that kind of software, instead of the 5 DVDs?

I have Windows 8 by the way

Again thank you very much for all your support!

Permalänk
Skrivet av swinkie:

Malwarebytes did the trick and I have no further problems with the CPU. For now it has been several days since the CPU usage increased. Thank you so much for that advice!

I will still create the disks and eventually restore it to factory default. I'll probably try the hidden partition to see how it works.

Edit: But when I create the recovery, I can choose between three options. DVD, USB and ISO. Do you prefer to run the ISO where you have to use programs like Nero Burner and so even if you're not used to that kind of software, instead of the 5 DVDs?

I have Windows 8 by the way

Again thank you very much for all your support!

Basically this is what you prefer. You can either store the ISOs on a hard drive and burn them if you need them, or burn them immediately via MSI Burn Recovery.
Windows 7 & 8 are able to burn ISO to a DVD without additional software.

Permalänk

Hi MSI-Official, is it allowed for owners of MSI laptops here in sweden to be able to open their laptop back cover to be able to upgrade hard disk or exchange it incase hard disk is broken and so on as long they dont damage it? since i wanna buy 3x 256GB mSATA for my msi GS70-2PE but infocare tells me that warranty is voided if sticker is removed or broken :/ so thats why i'm posting it here to get direct answer from you guys since i seen some EU countrys where allowed todo this so i hope sweden is allowed to :/ since i dont wanna pay for 3 x mSATA and price for upgrade :/ i peferr buying msata and upgrade it myself but then i want to know if thats allowed by breaking sticker as long i dont damage stuff inside, which wont happen since i do work myself at a laptop/pc repair center myself where i get to dissamble alot of laptops and so on.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

Hi Andbir,
Our partners are in the process of creating the products in there respective systems more models will show up soon we have had a slight delay in the arrive of the goods, expected on shelf date will be end of August to beginning of September. Our suggested pricing for the models is as below.

GT72 2PE-033NE SEK 24,990
GT72 2PE-024NE SEK 21,490
GT72 2PC-060NE SEK 19,190
GT72 2PE-028NE SEK 16,490
GT72 2PC-064NE SEK 15,990

Br,
Bart

...Getting somewhat tired of waiting for the release of the -033NE -- why the delayed schedule? Are they waiting for the sales of the -028 to pick up? It probably won't, since it is one of the "lesser" models. I'm off to Barcelona for a week - if the -033 isn't released when I come back i might have to opt for an Asus and I don't really want to.