Geforce GTX 950 is a great surprise, but please give us options for even lower TDP!!

Permalänk

Geforce GTX 950 is a great surprise, but please give us options for even lower TDP!!

Hello Luke! It's great to see that Nvidia let 2nd Gen Maxwell prove itself below 100W TDP.
90W is really something!

So why am I writing, anymore than praising your decision to release the GTX 950?
I just want to suggest that there actually is a market for Single slot / Low profile setups.

I'm surprised that Nvidia still doesnt offer any current graphics option for SFF-formfactor owners, and I know it's possible, so even if you can't reveal future products, perhaps you atleast can forward the suggestion to your managment that there is some desire for real sub-70W (preferably sub 50W) graphics suitable for Low profile & Single slot configuration.

Why just not make a solution like Intel with its "cTDP", and make it UNDERclock friendly with just a jumper setting?
Imagine a card that's 75W in default mode, while having a "jumper" option to set it to 35W TDP and making the big cooler-solution redundant! ..Wouldn't that be great? ...It's like hitting 2 bugs at the same time (hit), like we say in Sweden!
cTDP is a way to release a product where its up to the customer what TDP they can allow.

And ThanX for GTX 950 anyway .. It's certainly a welcomed product even if the 8-pin power solution seems a bit overkill

EDIT: About the 8-pin solution? Why do you give it so much power when its only 90W TDP? Is it to make it more Overclock-friendly?? And is it really needed for normal users that dont have a 8-pin solution available from their PSU?

Visa signatur

Dator: EEE901 N270/ 1GB / 20GB SSD ... Kraftigt nedbantat/tweakat Win7 x86 for speeeEED!
Facebook användare? Hatar tidslinjen? gå med i denna FB-grupp:
Undo Timeline ...med lite tur får h*lvetet ett slut!

Permalänk
Medlem

@lastninja
My theory, which the Nvidia rep should gladly confirm or deny, is that low end GPU's are going out of market as iGPU's becomes reasonably powerful for most users that would consider low end GPU's. This will be especially true with upcoming Skylake which promises, if my memory is correct, 50% increase in iGPU performance. AMDs APU's are also very potent. That GPU power is more than enough for most users that would consider a "cheap" GPU. The result would be that if a 35w GPU were to be released, it would not motivate the extra cost over just going with integrated as 35w is not a lot to play with. For those who are looking for cheap dedicated they still have GT 610 or GT 720 which have a TDP of 29w and 19w. If you are looking for decent power without external power, you have the 750ti with 60w TDP, which is Maxwell though gen 1.

Regarding the 8pin power connection, I find it equally strange. More so when you take in the fact that ref 960 only have a 6pin. It is not as if 950 will be a good overclocker as its base frequencies are already pretty high, even a 6 pin is more than enough so to say. Just over the PCI-E slot we will get 75w out of the 90w's required. You don't need an 8pin for 15w...

One thing you could do is under clock a 950 and you would most likely reach 50w without a problem, maybe even less.

Visa signatur

Citera eller @philipborg om du vill att jag ska läsa dina svar.

Permalänk
Skrivet av philipborg:

One thing you could do is under clock a 950 and you would most likely reach 50w without a problem, maybe even less.

This is what I hope for, but I want it to be Jumper-based so it wont fry the PSU before you get the chance to underclock ...and you have a big point about how Skylake might demolish the need for low-end graphic cards.

This is the reason I suggest a "cTDP Jumper" solution.
Skylake owners may not need it if it gets a sufficiently implemented Video acceleration/decoding solution, and also 3D acceleration. But owners of HTPC's with Core i3/i5/i7 from all previous Gens might be interrested.
I'm talking about owners of small setups of Bloomfield / Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge / Haswell,, that want to improve their small HTPC / SFF. Just like i want to do.

I know it may not be the biggest market, but I've seen forums crawling with HTPC owners in need of this.
Right now they have to suffice with like 5 year old technology if they want to add a graphicscard, so it would be more nice with hardware up to date.

This is why I'm suggesting a "Jumper cTDP" solution to make everyone happy.
Nvidia can then sell one card and still reach two markets without taking the risk on just targeting the HTPC segment.

Edit: The GTX 750 / 750ti doesn't exist in a Single slot / Low profile form, so it's not an option for most SFF owners.
...Maybe Nvidia will just release a fully "up to date" Single slot / Low profile GT 930 and that will be the end of it.

Visa signatur

Dator: EEE901 N270/ 1GB / 20GB SSD ... Kraftigt nedbantat/tweakat Win7 x86 for speeeEED!
Facebook användare? Hatar tidslinjen? gå med i denna FB-grupp:
Undo Timeline ...med lite tur får h*lvetet ett slut!