Världens snabbaste transistorchip

Permalänk
Medlem

350 ghz betyder väll inte 350 miljarder uträkningar per sekund

hertz = svängningar per sekund.

350 ghz blir alltså hur många gånger chippet hinner switcha mellan 1 och 0
per sekund.

vilket är rätt så redigt ändå.
men en uträkning är sällan så liten som 1 bit.

Visa signatur

| HAF932 | Ryzen 3700X @ 4,3 GHz | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | 32 GB G.Skill @ 3600 MHz | RTX 2070 @ 2 GHz | O2 + ODAC | MP600 1TB + 2x 2TB RAID 1 + 2x 2TB RAID 1 | Win10 Pro 64-bit |

Permalänk
Medlem

vänta nano optiska system ^^

Permalänk
Medlem
Citat:

Ursprungligen inskrivet av jonaktiv
vänta nano optiska system ^^

du får gärna utveckla det du menar med "nano optiska system"

snart använder sig dagens cpuer av 65 nm (NANO!) linjebredd så de är ju "nano kretsar" om man så vill ...

Visa signatur

Nätverksnörd

Permalänk
Medlem

Asså vad går det hela ut på? Vad kan den göra?

Permalänk
Medlem

Tror jag hittade ursprungskällan till artikeln:
http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/newsrelease/half-terahertz.h...
Det står där att det är en transistor det handlar om, inget chip.

Ny teknik skriver dock att det är en processor, http://www.nyteknik.se/art/46543, men det är antagligen bara den korkade journalisten som svamlar.

Permalänk
Medlem
Citat:

Ursprungligen inskrivet av Klonas
Asså vad går det hela ut på? Vad kan den göra?

Eftersom det är en transistor, styra en större ström med sin egen basström.

Om jag minns rätt så behöver man uppemot hundra transistorer för att ens kunna räkna till sju.

/Adrian

Visa signatur

Medlem i signaturgruppen Appleanvändare för ett fritt SweClockers.

Permalänk
Medlem

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060622-7117.html

IBM's 500GHz processor? Not so fast...

...However, I will say that yesterday's round of press reports about the IBM/Georgia Tech 500GHz transistor was just a train wreck: "OMG a 500GHz supercooled computer chip!! Terahertz CPUs here we come! Also, cell phone chips only run at 2GHz!! (I'm, uh, not sure why this cell phone detail is relevant—shouldn't we be comparing these to Pentiums?—but that's what the PR guy said so I'll just throw that tidbit in my article.)"...

First off, what the Georgia Tech/IBM team demonstrated was a transistor that can be switched at 350GHz at room temperature, and 500GHz when cooled to near absolute zero. Now, just because a transistor can switch that fast, it doesn't mean that you could build a processor that is clocked that fast. The transistors that make up, say, a Pentium 4 processor could theoretically be switched much faster the clockspeed of even the fastest Pentium 4 chip; but how fast an individual transistor can be switched and how fast you can clock a complex digital circuit that consists of millions of those transistors communicating in lock-step are two very, very different numbers.

But really, there's no need to even talk about desktop processors here, because the kind of transistor that IBM and GA Tech goosed up to 500GHz is intended for use not in digital circuits but in analog RF devices. ..

ANALOG RF DEVICES ...

Because these SiGe circuits are performing analog processing of a high-frequency radio signal, the transistors that make up the circuits have to be able to switch at the same frequency as the radio signal that's passing through them. The faster these transistors can switch, the higher the frequencies they can be used to process. So a phone that operates in the 2GHz spectrum needs an analog RF chip that can operate at 2GHz; likewise, a radar device that operates in the 24GHz spectrum needs an analog processing circuit that can operate at 24GHz, and so on.

By making SiGe BiCMOS transistors that can operate at ever higher frequencies, IBM and others hope to enable the wireless industry to produce electronics that effectively utilize new portions of the radio spectrum.

Visa signatur

Nätverksnörd

Permalänk
Medlem
Citat:

Ursprungligen inskrivet av moire
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060622-7117.html

IBM's 500GHz processor? Not so fast...

...However, I will say that yesterday's round of press reports about the IBM/Georgia Tech 500GHz transistor was just a train wreck: "OMG a 500GHz supercooled computer chip!! Terahertz CPUs here we come! Also, cell phone chips only run at 2GHz!! (I'm, uh, not sure why this cell phone detail is relevant—shouldn't we be comparing these to Pentiums?—but that's what the PR guy said so I'll just throw that tidbit in my article.)"...

First off, what the Georgia Tech/IBM team demonstrated was a transistor that can be switched at 350GHz at room temperature, and 500GHz when cooled to near absolute zero. Now, just because a transistor can switch that fast, it doesn't mean that you could build a processor that is clocked that fast. The transistors that make up, say, a Pentium 4 processor could theoretically be switched much faster the clockspeed of even the fastest Pentium 4 chip; but how fast an individual transistor can be switched and how fast you can clock a complex digital circuit that consists of millions of those transistors communicating in lock-step are two very, very different numbers.

But really, there's no need to even talk about desktop processors here, because the kind of transistor that IBM and GA Tech goosed up to 500GHz is intended for use not in digital circuits but in analog RF devices. ..

ANALOG RF DEVICES ...

Because these SiGe circuits are performing analog processing of a high-frequency radio signal, the transistors that make up the circuits have to be able to switch at the same frequency as the radio signal that's passing through them. The faster these transistors can switch, the higher the frequencies they can be used to process. So a phone that operates in the 2GHz spectrum needs an analog RF chip that can operate at 2GHz; likewise, a radar device that operates in the 24GHz spectrum needs an analog processing circuit that can operate at 24GHz, and so on.

By making SiGe BiCMOS transistors that can operate at ever higher frequencies, IBM and others hope to enable the wireless industry to produce electronics that effectively utilize new portions of the radio spectrum.

Det går altså inte att hitta någonstans hur pass hög frekvens man kommer upp i idag med samma transistor i normalt kisel? Det jag vill veta är hur pass mycket bättre/sämre den är jämfört med de som används idag... om den är typ 5% bättre eller 1000%.
Hittills vet man ju inget mer än att de nu kan tillverka snabbare SiGe chip än de redan gör till mobiltelefoner sedan några år tillbaka...

Permalänk
Medlem

Det beror på arkitekturen.

/Adrian

Visa signatur

Medlem i signaturgruppen Appleanvändare för ett fritt SweClockers.

Permalänk
Avstängd
Citat:

Ursprungligen inskrivet av moire
du får gärna utveckla det du menar med "nano optiska system"

snart använder sig dagens cpuer av 65 nm (NANO!) linjebredd så de är ju "nano kretsar" om man så vill ...

han kanske menar optiska transitor istället för elektriska! ljus går fortare än ström!

Visa signatur

WS:/ASUS M4A78-E/Phenom 940BE/OCZ Reaper DDR2 PC8500 6Gb/CF Ati 4870 1GB//Server: AMD Phenom 9550/MSI K9A2 CF-F/OCZ Reaper PC8500 2Gb/XFX GTS 250 Nvidia
"En enskild människas död är en tragedi, en miljon döda är statistik" -Josef Stalin

Permalänk

Plus att transistorerna i en optisk processor är i princip konstgjorda kristaller som bryter ljus. En sådan processor drar nästan ingen ström, och utvecklar så gott som ingen värme heller.

Visa signatur

Asus TUF Gaming B650 PLUS WIFI
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
32 Gb DDR5 6000 MHz CL30
MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB OC

Permalänk
Medlem
Citat:

Ursprungligen inskrivet av tubi
Tycker det bådar gott inför framtiden. Tänk om de upptäckt att gränsen gick vid 10GHz, då hade det blivit problem ganska snart.

[i]Inlägg redigerat av GAPa: Hur kan du bara få för dig att blanda in fotboll i det här?[/i]

Äsch, det finns ju nåt som heter SMP

Visa signatur

GUD VÄLSIGNE DIG!
Ryzen 7 5700X3D - 64Gb DDR4 - RTX2060 - Coolermaster Stacker
---------------------------- www.roaddogs.se ------------------------
------- Bofors Interstellar - A Star Citizen Corporation --------
---------------------------------- Twitch ---------------------------------