Permalänk
Medlem

970 Help

Hej Clockers!

I need some help regarding this 970 problem.

I have recently bought the MSI 970 Gaming card 1 week ago and then I read all this about the problems its facing over the 3.5gb + 0.5gb memory.

The question Im wondering about, If i have a 1920*1080 screen with no intention of upgrading to 1440 or 4k, will this card be efficient enough to play all the games on ultra and how "future" proof is the card? I bought this card as a longer investment instead of being a bit behind but im unsure now.

Should I return the card and wait for amd's new cards to be unveiled? Only other card I have looked at is the R9 290 but seems to get pretty hot.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks!

Dave

Permalänk
Medlem

Hey Dave!

I personally would not bother sending the 970 back. Even though the card "only" has 3.5 GB VRAM it should suffice for a couple of years. To my knowledge, 3.5 GB is enough to play all current games on ultra or high settings. However, for future titles... Its hard to say as new "next-gen" games are quite VRAM hungry. You should however be able to use, if not ultra, atleast one of the higher game settings for a few years.

If you send it back, you would need to wait for a series we have little knowledge about with regards to performance and even more importantly pricing.

Visa signatur

5800X3D, ASUS TUF 4080 , 32 GB G.SKILL Tridentz 3600cl16, Gigabyte x570 wifi pro, Samsung 960 EVO 512GB, Corsair SF750, Xtia Xproto-L

Permalänk
Medlem

Thanks for the answer Haibane, when you spend a fair price on a graphics card the last thing you want is to have problems.

Permalänk
Medlem

I have tried to run Kombuster testing 3gb+ however it always freezes my pc when it hits that 3.5+ section.

Do you know if its normal for Nvidia to bring out a revisioned card where the memory might be fixed or changed?

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Dravvde:

I have tried to run Kombuster testing 3gb+ however it always freezes my pc when it hits that 3.5+ section.

Do you know if its normal for Nvidia to bring out a revisioned card where the memory might be fixed or changed?

I dont think Nvidia will revise the card as it is working according to their design. The revision would either have to make the card too similar to the 980 or reduce the VRAM to 3 GB. The former is of course out of the question because that would shoot down the 980, the latter is not preferable for the customers.

I have read about others with the same problem in kombustor. Hopefully this will be corrected in future drivers from Nvidia. I would advice you to play a couple of games and see how well the card performs in realistic senarios. It's a really tricky situation that Nvidia has created for itself and its customers. My advice for all 970 owners out there is to run a few games and determine themselves whether they are affected by the problem or not.

Visa signatur

5800X3D, ASUS TUF 4080 , 32 GB G.SKILL Tridentz 3600cl16, Gigabyte x570 wifi pro, Samsung 960 EVO 512GB, Corsair SF750, Xtia Xproto-L

Permalänk
Medlem

I have not really ran into much problems. I have played Far cry 4 maxed out with everything, it will never go above the threshold of 3.5gb and i usually get 60 fps.

I have been trying metro last light now but that game while not using up the vram that much gives me only 27-30fps completely maxed out, turning down done Textures gives me 60 but its been jumping a few times while shooting. Possible bad optimization?

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Dravvde:

I have not really ran into much problems. I have played Far cry 4 maxed out with everything, it will never go above the threshold of 3.5gb and i usually get 60 fps.

I have been trying metro last light now but that game while not using up the vram that much gives me only 27-30fps completely maxed out, turning down done Textures gives me 60 but its been jumping a few times while shooting. Possible bad optimization?

Metro (redux?) Is a very heavy game to drive even for high end cards such as the 970. There are tonnes of benchmarks out there, search for the specific metro game you are playing and compare.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem

It was Last Light, it holds up to 60 fps but i need to turn done some settings.

I have now been trying out dying light but i notice that it always says 3.5gb used. With the bug in programs monitoring the 3.5 + 0.5 is it possible the game is using 4gb and i dont see it via msi/gpuz?