Permalänk
Medlem

Gaming chassis ideas

I haven’t decided on a name for this concept but the word ‘Flow’ keeps coming to mind because of the focus on airflow and cooling – maybe some of the forum members can suggest some names?
The exterior:
The exterior is meant to be understated shape with a lot of emphasis on the small details that make the case easy to open and deal with swapping out components. These details include:
Large positive latches that feel great to open, no small components to lose – no worries!
The exterior ports will feature E-Sata, USB, Audio in / out, power and firewire (firewire is favouried mostly with creative professionals which this case may also appeal to).
Removable motherboard tray – I found this to be a desirable feature and looking further into it, seems to make a lot of sense and provides the most space around this important part when doing upgrades.
All wiring will be concealed behind the motherboard tray, but easily accessed through ports situated all round the motherboard back plate.
I haven’t decided on HDD access, wether or not to provide some sort of quick-release system or bays that slide in or out. Personallly I prefere server type bays that HDD’s simply slide into and lock without the need for screwing a tray onto the HDD. I need to look into sound issues around this and also production feasability.
I must stress the exterior is unfinished and will look very different…

Internal:
The biggest aspect of this case is heat and sound insulation. The HDD’s are situated in their own chambers, they each have a seperate airflow, and are seprated in such a way that each hot component doesn’t heat up the other. Also inside this chamber design the sound should be very insulated from the outside.
The motherboard is also in it’s own chamber, so is the PSU. All heat generated by these parts is dealt with by their respective chambers. This allows less fans also. To help with insulation of heat and sound there will be seals the edges of the chambers so when the side panel (s) are on it creates the best seal possible. Of course there will be Chanels for cables so these chambers will not be completely airtight. This design also allows for an internal positive air pressure that prevents dust particles from moving around and into your nice GPU!

OK so far this is where this design is at right now. I will be focusing on the HDD next so I will post any progress and would appreciate some of your opinions about this case (chassis??).

>>Image removed<<

Also the white blocks where the components should be are just there to represent the space required for the components - they won't be in the final design.

Permalänk
Medlem

Modular

Modular case

This concept is all about choice. During my research it became evident that there are a lot of different kinds of users out there, and everyone wants to have something specific to their needs. So I thought it would be great to have a case that gives a every user exactly what they need.
My solution is a sytem of modules. Basically if you need, for example, a Micro ATX motherboard, 2 HDD’s, A PSU and nothing else – you simply buy those parts and arrange them any way you like within this frame system.

Maybe you want a powerful computer for demanding games that need large GPU’s, so you get the full ATX module, combine it with a lot of HDD’s for your content, an optical drive and maybe some 3.5” bays for fan controlers or card readers or something – you simply get these parts and build them in the way you want to with no excess case space to worry about or problems with fitting anything you might need into a rigid case.
I will post more visualisations of this concept ilustrating the possible uses and parts that could be available, such as VESA mounts for monitors, handles for portability and small USB screens for secondary information. All of this is mountable on the rod and connection system you see holding the components together in the concept image.

Any feedback is welcomed, and I will consider every single suggestion.

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk

Don't forget about cable. It should be easy to drag them but you can`t see them when your finished.

Permalänk
Medlem

Just some thoughts. I hope you understand what I'm thinking.

"project flow":

I see a risk of the different chambers beeing full of turbulance. This would hinder good airflow. Also, the fan doesnt have the same flow all over, this means that some of the "lanes" will get more air than others. Remember that the airflow will wan't to take the easiest way, and that might not be into one of the lanes.Some of those "lanes" also seem kind of small and risk giving a whistle sound if the airflow is strong. Right now I see small noisy fans that are supposed to give airflow to the HDDs. Airflow that might be a bit overkill. HDDs don't need THAT much airflow to stay cool enough. There will also be holes for cables which may also ruin the flow.

"modular case":

We all have different needs, something you acknowledge. The problem with the design is that the chassi seem to take up the same amount of space in a room regardless of the configuration the user has. For example, this chassi will take the same amount of room if I use 5 HDDs or 1. The difference will be empty space between the optical drive and the HDD. This could be solved by allowing the mounting of the modules in different ways. Users of matx etc wan't as small computers as possible, not smaller and less components in the same amount of physical space.

Price also comes to mind. Will I buy 5 cages for HDDs in the package, or will I get 1 and later on buy more of them? "Extras" has a tendency to become expensive for the consumer.

The modular design seems to have a lot of places for dust to add up. Dust might not get into the computer, but I like to be able to clean the outside of my computer easily. This design seems to have a lot of joints that needs disassembly when cleaning.

All in all I like how the designs look. Im just not sure they would be practical enough for me to buy them.

Visa signatur

//Bacon

Permalänk
Medlem

-edit- Today I wasn't a very "rabid thypist". Bacon and I share the same ideas I think.

I like the looks of the first one. It might be a better idea to place the hard-drives vertically instead of horisontally. The drives today doesn't generate alot of heat so when placed vertically they should be able to get enough cooling just by the fact that hot air rises. I haven't tried this myself but three drives sharing a chamber shouldn't be a problem.
Also think of the fact that every time a fluid has to change direction of movement the force necessary to maintain flowrate increases.
-added- The subject is "fluid dynamics" and an image search on google gives some decent illustrations and a simple(not very accurate) way of simulating this is using the "falling sand game". To make proper analysis of fluid dynamics you use CFD(Computational Fluid Dynamics), all FEM software and some CAD software has this built into them by default.

The idea of the second one is good but I would like it better if the "unnecessary" space between all components were close to zero. A smooth surface without unnecessary space between the different modules will attract less dust and be easier to just wipe off with a moist piece of cloth.

If you combine the two ideas you have and add "Lego" and "IKEA" to your thinking you might have a winner.

Permalänk
Medlem

Thanks for your input - to address 2 things you mentioned about the modular system. The configuration in the image is just an example of how you can align and distribute the parts - using the connectors it's possible to have the components all in a tall thin tower for example, or even two seperate towers almost with a couple of monitors in-between. I should post some more visualisations to outline this though as you raised a good point that this particular configuration looks alot like a typical case just without the walls.

As for dust - I see your point, the more complex a shape is, it has a higher surface area and therefore more area to attract dust. The form that the parts have taken so far have been just a 'quick and dirty' mock-up to illustrate that they are seperate, the final shapes (if I have the time to develope this, and I DO want to!) will look different, smaller and alot easier to understand as parts of a larger system, but also be able to stand alone as a seperate module.

Visualisations of this concept will be up by middle of next week.

Thanks for your comments about the airflow - I'm in the process of finding an expert to consult about the exact science of this - I will post more visualisations of this once it's been refined.

Dan

Permalänk
Medlem

Good luck!

Visa signatur

//Bacon

Permalänk
Medlem

google this: plastbackar jonson

easy modular system

imagine this with a slide-to-snap-lock function on each module and some options in placements (vertical, front, back etc) and add a cable outlet inside each module (like hard drive connectors in laptops) ...

eh, I like the modular idea, as long as the price doesn't rocket astronomically....

Permalänk
Medlem

About the "flow" project

keep in mind that you should have positive pressure inside the case to prevent dust to get inside the chassis, also all intake fans have to have dust filters. About the HDD solution, i think it might be better to have some kind of "airy" structure in which the HDD's hang vertically, that, and a low rpm fan should provide enough cooling for most HDD's

personally i think you should focus on the cooling of the CPU and the GPU since they produce the most heat of all the components, a nice way to solve would be to use something like the corsair H50 liquid cooling for both the CPU and the GPU, so you have two separate loops for the CPU and the GPU. the one problem with that would be that the rest of the components on the motherboard ( memory, mosfets etc. ) would get hot due to the lack of active cooling around that area. altough that might be solved with having a fan located higher up in the chassis, closer to motherboard, instead of having at the bottom.

hope i helped some and good luck with both of your projects

Permalänk
Avstängd

it looks to me like the psu is getting the air from under the case,seince psu´s dosn't have filters wouldn't this be a problem if it takes up all that dust from under the case ?

Permalänk
Medlem

I am trying a different colour with the modular design - sort of bare steel / aluminum. Personally I like the black but I realize it looks very 'aggressive' and for some that may be a perfect look but not everyone. Can you give me some feedback on the 2 colours you've seen so far?

Please ignore the fine details like the mounting system and lack of bolts, this is just a test

Thanks!

Dan

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk
Medlem
Citat:

Ursprungligen inskrivet av DanShort
I am trying a different colour with the modular design - sort of bare steel / aluminum. Personally I like the black but I realize it looks very 'aggressive' and for some that may be a perfect look but not everyone. Can you give me some feedback on the 2 colours you've seen so far?

Please ignore the fine details like the mounting system and lack of bolts, this is just a test

Thanks!

Dan

http://www.imagehost.se/images/xdubcwxx.jpg

It depends on what target group you are aiming for. An aggressive look is what I associate with gamers. Look at products from XFX. They are one of the most selling companies on the discrete video card market.

Visa signatur

Main Rig FD Define R4 |Intel C2Q Q9650@3.6GHz|Asus P5Q-E|OCZ Reaper 4GB@800MHz|WD6400AAKS|HD6850|Corsair HX650
HTPC HDPLEX H1.S |Intel Core i3 4330|ASRock Z87E-ITX|8GB|128GB mSATA
Work Dell Vostro 3360 |Intel Core i5-3317U|8GB|Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello again - I have began making a series of visuals with the modular system in different situations. This is a situation with 2 monitors. The series will be based on keywords, for example: 'Play' or 'Create'. I guess this one is 'Create' because I try to use 2 monitors when I can so I can see more information at once when I'm working (designing this chassis )

The modular system has a monitor mount (VESA mount), a handle (similar to a rifle carrying handle / ironsights) and other modules that address specific needs like hardware volume control or fan controls. More will appear here.

The actual modules in the visuals need ALLOT of work - they're pretty unrefined but right now the emphasis is on the whole system and not the smaller components.

let me know what you think!

Dan

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk

Very impressive. The modular case made the greatest impression on myself. Something sinister about the design, in a good way of course. Alot of associations pops up in my head, everthing from war to prosthetic limbs.

Just a thought:
When assembling a computer today alot of work goes into the cable managment in order to achive good airflow. However, very so often, excess cables simply get smooshed into a corner. How about designing a case with built in canals for all the cables running from the psu and motherboard. Essentially, once a harddrive is installed it would only be a couple of cm to the end point of one of these canals for power and sata.

This would require some limitations. For example, the PSU would probably have to be custom made for that specific case due to the layout of all of these canals. PSU cables would have to be of a certain length and so on. In addition, motherboards do have variations in the positioning of sata sockets and so on. But really, I would be okey with such a scenario if cables simply disappeared, just like in a custom made homecinema with all the wiring stuck inside the walls.

Visa signatur

Amd64 3000+@2400Mhz - 1024mb OCZ - Sapphire X800pro@16pipes 475/450 - zalman 300A-APF - 3Dmark03=11500

Permalänk
Medlem
Visa signatur

Whales are nice!

Permalänk
Medlem

The BMW case couldn't be more different from the modular one - there's some similarities I guess, i.e it's a chassis and it's black - and the BMW 'looks' modular but it's definitely isn't. Thanks for the input...

Permalänk
Medlem
Citat:

Ursprungligen inskrivet av DanShort
Hello again - I have began making a series of visuals with the modular system in different situations. This is a situation with 2 monitors. The series will be based on keywords, for example: 'Play' or 'Create'. I guess this one is 'Create' because I try to use 2 monitors when I can so I can see more information at once when I'm working (designing this chassis )

The modular system has a monitor mount (VESA mount), a handle (similar to a rifle carrying handle / ironsights) and other modules that address specific needs like hardware volume control or fan controls. More will appear here.

The actual modules in the visuals need ALLOT of work - they're pretty unrefined but right now the emphasis is on the whole system and not the smaller components.

let me know what you think!

Dan

http://www.imagehost.se/images/vdwkcfyh.jpg

At first glance i thought it was a rather pointless design, but when looking at this picture it makes much more sense. It's an interesting design

Visa signatur

GUD VÄLSIGNE DIG!
Ryzen 7 5700X3D - 64Gb DDR4 - RTX2060 - Coolermaster Stacker
---------------------------- www.roaddogs.se ------------------------
------- Bofors Interstellar - A Star Citizen Corporation --------
---------------------------------- Twitch ---------------------------------

Permalänk
Medlem

@ Fenix

Thanks!..I think....

Here's some more work on the Flow concept...

the images show basic aspects of how the interior will look, this is where my focus is right now. The exterior is still blank, however there will be a definite relationship between what's going on inside and the outside. I'm about to work on ports and buttons, their location and so on. Also logotypes and graphics so I'd like allot of input on those so please be as critical as you can be. if you hate it, say you hate it - if you like it then of course say you like it too

Thanks,

Dan

Permalänk

The Flow concept looks... Perfect.

Keep it up.

Permalänk
Medlem

@typewriter - thanks, here's some more!

thanks to everyone else again for the feedback, please let me know what you think of these visuals.

>>Images removed<<

Permalänk
Medlem

and another...

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk

Hållen i nätaggregatslådan sitter inte så bra till om du kikar på ett nätaggregat. Dessa håll skulle nästan kunna vara större eftersom den största delen av alla sladdar kommer ifrån nätaggregatet.

Visa signatur

Phanteks P600S Grå - Ryzen 9 3900X - Phanteks PH-TC14PE Black - ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 - HD7970 - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Platinum

Permalänk
Medlem

@Ralleballe - I don't speak Swedish (yet) so I used Google translate, google isn't a great translator in swedish, but I think I got what you meant: I should consider bigger cable holes around the PSU because that's where most of them come from.

Yes - I will, and I realised this after I did the renders and compared my visual to an existing case also so it will be changed I'm trying to move away from the tiny details like that because they are not fixed in stone but at the same time I'm focusing on details so people know this design considers the practical side of a gaming chassis.

Permalänk

Sorry, had only the picture above so i didn't see the english and forgot to write in english. You got my message anyway, good. Maybe your pictures could be a little smaller, not small, but smaller.

Visa signatur

Phanteks P600S Grå - Ryzen 9 3900X - Phanteks PH-TC14PE Black - ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 - HD7970 - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Platinum

Permalänk
Medlem

the project flow chassi,

what can I say?

Perfect

What dreamfull design. A case/chassi for me is simple yet full with design and flavor, which to this day Apple is what I've preffered, but this is something I really could see next/or on my desk.

modular case,

seems to be something a gamer might love. But not for me, but then again. Depends on what market you wanna establish the design on

Id say keep it up on both on them(if you have the time) you got something going on here

Visa signatur

Irish today, hungover tomorrow

Permalänk
Medlem

@RedFlip - Glad you like it, I'm an Apple user mostly but I do prefer non-macs for working in 3D design programs and gaming on (back in the days of Unreal Tournament 2004). But back when I was gaming on UT2k4 I just had an off the shelf and very low spec Compaq which did the job, no special hardware and then I went to Mac when I began my design education (and started console gaming when I had the time) because they seem to be biased towards designers in alot of respects, except frustratingly not for 3D work such as these models and renderings.

But I'm not here to start the Mac / PC debate - I use both major opertating systems and they each have their advantages.

My focus here is very much on gamers and not really mac orientated people, however I can see your comparison and would be happy for graphics profesionals to enjoy this chassis too. The simplicity here that you say you like is a functional one also - basically I want it to visually tell the user how nice it would be to get inside and open / close the case without the usual fuss and chaos of alot of chassis out there (there are some very nice ones though too).

Also the newer hardware out there looks very cool and visually striking so I'm trying to make a space that these things can look good in but not overshadowed by the case design. The other thing with regards to some of the more extreme sized components is that this case will fit very long GPU's, PSU's and tall CPU cooling fan blocks.

OK, thats all for now - thanks for your comments and keep 'em coming

Permalänk

You might want to make the PSU-cage a tad bigger, most high-end PSUs are a bit longer...

For exampel:

Besides that, it still looks great. If possible, make it with the same kind of feel and quality as a PowerMac G5 case, you now what i mean if you ever seen or touched one. No cheap or low grade sheet metal...

Permalänk
Medlem

@ typewriter

I know what you mean - I asked our I.T department if I could have a closer look at one because it's going to be an Alu case, the thickness or 'gauge' is a big deal for me, 1 or 2 mm thinner than a good weight / thickness and it feels bad so I understand what you're saying. As for the PSU - I re-built that area this morning so it holds pretty much anything you can throw at it. New renders will be up this evening to show what's new this evening. Webhallen are visiting the studio today also so we will have a chance to address some technical and production aspects, you will probably see allot of changes as a result - I think there's a voting poll somewhere (possibly on webhallen.se) for the each design so if you like this one go ahead an vote

Thanks!

Dan

Permalänk
Medlem
Permalänk

I assume the holes along the sides of the motherboard tray are for cable management.

The HDD arrangement seems a bit inefficient, for lack of a better word. Lots of metal, lots of twists and turns for the air. Have you tried arranging them vertically? With a bit of tweaking you might fit nine disks there.

I´ll do a bit of ASCII to illustrate. I=metal, HDD=guess:)

I..........I
I.H.H.H.I
I.D.D.D.I
I.D.D.D.I
I..........I
I.H.H.H.I
I.D.D.D.I
I.D.D.D.I
I..........I
I..FAN..I

Though I´m not entirely sure how to mount them.

Visa signatur

Strålskadade grävlingar och lite annat hittar du här: http://elektrofredrik.deviantart.com/