Jonsbo (Cooltek) U2 case review

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Jonsbo (Cooltek) U2 case review

Hello Sweclockers

In this thread, I would like to offer my modders opinion on the Jonsbo (Cooltek) U2 mITX case, a case which was given to me by fellow sweclocker member and friend DDemis. This review is not to give just the standard measurements and features etc, but to give you a more specific modders viewpoint into this mITX case.

Here is a short specification overview which can also be found on jonsbo.com/en website:

Model: U2 (Black)

• Dimension: 208 mm (W) x 319 mm (H) x 233 mm (D) (12mm feet not included)

• Material: Body: 2.0mm Aluminum Alloy
    Back / Side plates: 1.5mm Aluminum Alloy

• Motherboard: ITX (within 170mm x 170mm)

• Drive Bay: Base plate sharing either 2 × 2.5" or 1 × 2.5" + 1 × 3.5"
    Front plate sharing either 1 × 3.5" or 1 × 120mm fan

• Front I/O: USB3.0 × 2, Audio × 1, Mic × 1

• Power Supply: Standard ATX PSU

• CPU Cooler: Not higher than 175mm

• Display Card: Not longer than 220mm

• Expansion Slot: 2

• Cooling System: 2 × 120mm fans (built-in 1 × 120mm fan on rear plate)

• Fan Speed Control: Switch for adjusting fan speed

• NET/Gross Weight: 2.0kg / 2.5kg

Let's get the tour started!

The packaging is just your normal brown box with black text and no other colours. This means that it is recyclable for those of you who are looking to do your part for the environment. Specifications can be found on the back, as well as a little history about the engineers that helped develop this case.

Inside the box we see these extras. A few screws for HDD's, SSD's, rubber grommits for HDD's, zip ties and lastly an installation manual.

The case comes packaged inside a protective plastic bag which helps stop dust, fingerprints and light scratches from the cases surfaces. The case and bag are secured inside the shipping box with a protective foam. The foam is sturdy and is perfectly fitted to the case.

The front side of the case is very stylish. There is just one button which is the on off switch, and the USB3.0, headphone and mic jacks.

Notice that there is brushed aluminium here on the back panel. This panel is not removable.

The windowed side. This panel is removable. The plexiglass is held onto the panels with a series of white plastic tabs. Not the best looking solution in my opinion, and something that can be improved on.

The back panel. Note that this case can take a full ATX PSU, and a 2 slot cooler GPU. The maximum length of the GPU is just 220mm, so have this in mind when choosing this case or components. The maximum motherboard size is format mITX.

The underside of this case shows some mounting options for 2x SSDs or 1x 3.5" HDD and 1x SSD. Great storage space if you are considering this case for a NAS or HTPC.

The inside of the case shows us a drive cage on the right wall where a 1x 3.5" HDD or even a 120mm fan can be mounted. The various cables are for the front IO connections (USB3.0, 3.5mm jacks) and some fan connections at the left of the case for a high/low speed fan controller. Nice option if you choose to have a silent machine, but still have that extra power to provide additional cooling for your components.

Here you see a close up of the 3.5" bay/120mm fan bracket. A nice touch is the black connector for the USB3.0 ports for those going for a colour themed build.

2 PCI-E brackets and the 2 step fan controller. Please note that the brushed aluminium finish is present even here.

The 120mm fan placement.

The single button on the front of the case, which is lit with a blue LED. That brushed aluminium though!!! Oh my...

A close up of the USB3.0 and 3.5mm jacks. Nice and simple. Ties in nicely with the overall design.

And to top it all off, the feet are made from aluminum, plastic, and a rubber sole to help with resonance.

So what is my modding opinion?

All in all, this case has a very nice build finish, and is incredibly light. But with this said, it has very poor cooling options with just one fan as an exhaust, and the option to install just another fan as intake. Now there are no resellers of just this particular case here in Sweden. The best site I could find who sells is here: http://www.pc-cooling.de/Cases/Cooltek/600046445/Cooltek+U2+-...

There isn't too much which can be modded to this Jonsbo U2 if you are looking to maintain the sleek looks which is nice conveyed within this classic design. If I were to mod in this case, I would consider drilling holes in the front panel to accommodate 2x120mm or even 2x140mm fans. But with this said, you might want to consider an SFX PSU from Silverstone so that there are no clearance issues between the PSU and fans. Watercooling is not so much of an option within this case unfortunately guys due to restrictions. If you were to have an external radiator set up, then it is possible. If you are after a LAN machine, then you will have to stick with air cooling guys. All of these panels though are screaming for some custom engraving, or even LED backlit channels/design cut into them. If I were looking to make my project stand out from the rest, then I see this entire case as just a massive blank canvas ready to be blinged up.

Well that is it for me. I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this article, and please feel free to leave a comment and share this.
Best regards,
Justin / MetallicAcid
www.facebook.com/metallicacidcustomspcs
#metallicacidcustoms

Permalänk
Medlem

Window destroys the aesthetics of the case, too bad. My next cvase will be "big" brother U3.

Visa signatur

Save us from fate, save us from hate. Save ourselves before it's too late

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av KiXeR:

Window destroys the aesthetics of the case, too bad. My next cvase will be "big" brother U3.

I would love to get my hands on a U3. I might even trade my TJ08-E ROG V for a new build inside the U3. The window does look a little tacky as it is held on with Off-White clips. But if I mod this case, I will trade those our for hex screws instead for a more industrial look.

Thanks for reading a commenting KiXeR. Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Justin / MetallicAcid

Permalänk

Hi, you might not have the U2 available anymore. But if you have, would you mind test if its able to use an intake fan under the VGA instead of 2 storage devices. Also what size that fan would be.

Visa signatur

Komponenter.

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av Heimdall_swe:

Hi, you might not have the U2 available anymore. But if you have, would you mind test if its able to use an intake fan under the VGA instead of 2 storage devices. Also what size that fan would be.

Hey there Heimdall,

I no longer have the chassis at home with me so I cannot check. But if you was able to install a HDD which is 26.1mm thick, then you should be able to install a standard 120/140mm fan which usually are 25mm thick.

Hope this info helps

Kind regards,
Justin

Permalänk

@MetallicAcid:

Thank you for that information.

Visa signatur

Komponenter.

Permalänk

Tack

@MetallicAcid:
Jag har drömt om detta chassit i flera år.
Nästa bygge blir med ett U2, så är det bara!
Speciellt med tanke på att Lian li och Silverstone har ballat ur senaste 2 åren....
Tack för de fina bilderna.

Visa signatur

---CPU---Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9550 2.83GHz 12MB FSB1333
---RAM---DDR2 PC2-8500 1066MHz CL5-5-5-15
---MOBO---Maximus II GENE ( P45/ICH10R , Dual-channel, DDR2 1300)
---PSU----Corsair HX520W ---GPU--- Radeon HD6850

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av phoenix4m:

@MetallicAcid:
Jag har drömt om detta chassit i flera år.
Nästa bygge blir med ett U2, så är det bara!
Speciellt med tanke på att Lian li och Silverstone har ballat ur senaste 2 åren....
Tack för de fina bilderna.

Thanks for checking out the review!!

This case is beautiful indeed!! More solid than I imagined at first!

You are totally right about Silverstone and Lian Li too. A real shame that they are now appealing to the gaming audience and not to the older generation