Motherboard related questions

Permalänk

Motherboard related questions

Welcome to the MSI Motherboard thread!

Here you can ask questions or discuss any other matters relating to Motherboards.

Information and details of our Motherboards can be found at our MSI Official Website.

Also, more information can be found at our Facebook page

As in the other "Butiker och tillverkare" threads and forums, the idea with our presence here is NOT to replace our traditional customer service or RMA department. For warranty and RMA issues please visithttp://register.msi.com/.

Permalänk
Medlem

I'll steal the virginity of this thread by asking how I change the BCLK on my z97-g45 to 100.00 instead of 99.98.
I cannot find the spread spectrum setting.

Permalänk
Medlem

Most awesome z97 motherboard from you guys with support for 3-way SLI?

Visa signatur

Chazzi: NZXT Phantom 410 Black with Orange Trim Moderkort Asus Z87-K Processor Intel Core i7-4770k 3.9Ghz CPU Fläkt Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 CO Nätaggregat Corsair CX750 Grafikkort Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 Ram Kingston HyperX 16Gb 2400Mhz SSD Kingston 120 GB HyperX 3K read 555mb/s write 510mb/s Hårddisk 1Tb WB Windows 8
Headset Siberia v2 Frost Blue Illumination Keybord Steelseries Apex Mus Razer Deathadder

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I will give you the opportunity to perhaps sway my opinion of your products, if possible.

I would like to know what you've done in terms of product quality improvements the last few years. We all have preferences regarding brands, and unfortunally mine has been telling me not to get any MSI motherboards the last 10 years.
This has both been due to personal bad experiences, friends bad experiences, but mostly i used to work at a large swedish e-tailer in the product testing department. (testing out warranty items, RMA's etc). It's been a few years now, but my experience from that job regarding MSI motherboards was less than positive. We saw more of them than that of any other brand. We did sell alot of MSI but not enough to justify what we saw as an unreasonable high number of returns on MSI branded boards.

Do you have any statistics regarding RMA's on your brand vs others, or any specific information on what's been done to raise the quality of the MSI motherboards in say, the last 5 years?

Or perhaps you just dont agree with my experiences of MSI-motherboards in the past?

Thanks in advance.

//Monkey

:edit: Also, i am missing a competitively priced m-itx z97 motherboard. You should look into one. Skip the wifi.

Visa signatur

Speldator :[I] AMD 5600X - 16GB fläskigt ram - AMD 580RX - AOC 32" Wide
HTPC : i5 3450S - 8GB G.Skill - Streacom F8

Permalänk
Medlem

How come MSI still uses the term "FSB" as most other companies has dropped that term since it doesnt really apply to modern motherboards/CPUs?

This is basicly the diffrence i mean

And MSI seems to be the only ones to not call it that but sticking to FSB, doesnt that also cause more headache for third party developers as CPU-Z etcetera?

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi,

When could we expect to see your ECO-series motherboards in the swedish stores?
Also will there be a B85 m-ITX available too?

Lehto

Visa signatur

AMD 1090T // Vulcan 1866MHz 7-10-10-29 // HD6950 2GB // Crucial M4 128GB // Seasonic S12 500w (inköpt 2006)
Laptop Acer 17": Intel 3210M // 8GB Ram // GT640M // Samsung 830 256GB
Laptop MSI 17": Intel 4200H // 8GB Ram // GTX850 // Samsung 830 256GB
Laptop Lenovo: AMD 7640HS // 16GB RAM // RTX4060 // Samsung 960Pro 512GB

Permalänk
Medlem

is there any fix yet for the soundproblems on msi z87-g45 gaming ? i have good sound but my microphone is so low i have it boosted to max and still im low when talking on every program ive tried so far . ive tried with 5 diffrent microphones aswell so its not my headset thats messed up either . aswell as tried my normal headphones on a diffrent computer and i had good microphone sound then .

dont feel like buying a usb soundcard since my motherboard isnt even 1 year old and been like this since day 1 .

Permalänk
Skrivet av Lehto:

Hi,

When could we expect to see your ECO-series motherboards in the swedish stores?
Also will there be a B85 m-ITX available too?

Lehto

Hi Letho,

B85M and H97M ECO will arrive in most stores in the last week of July. H81M ECO will be available around mid of August. Any other questions regarding ECO, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Marc

Permalänk
Skrivet av MoNkeY-05:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I will give you the opportunity to perhaps sway my opinion of your products, if possible.

I would like to know what you've done in terms of product quality improvements the last few years. We all have preferences regarding brands, and unfortunally mine has been telling me not to get any MSI motherboards the last 10 years.
This has both been due to personal bad experiences, friends bad experiences, but mostly i used to work at a large swedish e-tailer in the product testing department. (testing out warranty items, RMA's etc). It's been a few years now, but my experience from that job regarding MSI motherboards was less than positive. We saw more of them than that of any other brand. We did sell alot of MSI but not enough to justify what we saw as an unreasonable high number of returns on MSI branded boards.

Do you have any statistics regarding RMA's on your brand vs others, or any specific information on what's been done to raise the quality of the MSI motherboards in say, the last 5 years?

Or perhaps you just dont agree with my experiences of MSI-motherboards in the past?

Thanks in advance.

//Monkey

:edit: Also, i am missing a competitively priced m-itx z97 motherboard. You should look into one. Skip the wifi.

Dear Monkey,

Thanks for your message in the first place. I think the persons working in a technical department and testing products that are send back from end users, are the right persons to judge. Yes, in the time frame that you mention, I can imagine you formed this opinion about MSI Motherboards. We had a lot of things to improve back then. However, things improved a lot. The motherboard design and layout, the quality of the components we use on the motherboards, the features we put on the boards, the way we do the marketing around the products, the way we test motherboards before they leave the factory, and most important, the way we monitor and handle RMA. Yes, we have figures about warranty returns, but these are confidential. Sorry about that. But I can assure you, they are good now, in line with competition and constantly monitored. How and why we made these changes? Of course it's a long process... But to make a long story short... The influence from Europe became bigger and bigger in the last 5 years. The former management members from Europe, are now the decision makers in HQ Taiwan.

So, as they say... "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". I hope you will be able to work again soon with our latest motherboards and hopefully this changes your opinion. After that, it's our job to keep this quality level up in the future.

Regarding mini ITX Z97; check out our Z97I AC. Perhaps you let me know, why wifi should be skipped, I'm curious to know.

BR,
Marc

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Marc:

Hi Letho,

B85M and H97M ECO will arrive in most stores in the last week of July. H81M ECO will be available around mid of August. Any other questions regarding ECO, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Marc

Alright, and its only these 3 thats getting released? No m-ITX board of the ECO series?

Visa signatur

AMD 1090T // Vulcan 1866MHz 7-10-10-29 // HD6950 2GB // Crucial M4 128GB // Seasonic S12 500w (inköpt 2006)
Laptop Acer 17": Intel 3210M // 8GB Ram // GT640M // Samsung 830 256GB
Laptop MSI 17": Intel 4200H // 8GB Ram // GTX850 // Samsung 830 256GB
Laptop Lenovo: AMD 7640HS // 16GB RAM // RTX4060 // Samsung 960Pro 512GB

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Marc:

Dear Monkey,

Regarding mini ITX Z97; check out our Z97I AC. Perhaps you let me know, why wifi should be skipped, I'm curious to know.

BR,
Marc

Thanks for your extensive answer. I will consider the information, and for now just answer the wifi-part with - cutting costs. Perhaps the wifi-module is cheap though? My specific point regarding z97 mITX is that they are costly, and there are many people that play games (many people on z97 are guilty of being gamers, no?) that just dont care for Wifi. Cutting costs where possible to get a lower price is always a solid idea. But perhaps this is just my opinion, and wifi is a more apprechiated feature on z97 than i know?

Visa signatur

Speldator :[I] AMD 5600X - 16GB fläskigt ram - AMD 580RX - AOC 32" Wide
HTPC : i5 3450S - 8GB G.Skill - Streacom F8

Permalänk

Hello MSI! I posted this question in the old thread before it was moved here:

I'm about to purchase a new motherboard and the MSI Z97 XPower AC seems to be a great choice for me. I'm heavily invested into water cooling and hope to use this motherboard with my existing cooling equipment. This means I'm planning to use the built in water cooling heatsink on the motherboard and connect it to my already installed pump and radiators.

However, I need to know the materials of the built in water cooling heatsink before I can use it. The reason being is galvanic corrosion that occurs if you mix copper and aluminium (goggle galvanic corrosion copper aluminum pc water cooling and look at the images). It's a well known fact in the PC water cooling community that if you mix copper and aluminium in the same loop you will have galvanic corrosion and subsequently destroy your equipment. As I have all copper and stainless steel in my existing water cooling loops, I'm worried there is aluminium in contact with the water inside the motherboard's heatsink.

I need to know, with 100 percent certainty, the materials of the water channel inside the water cooling heatsink before I buy the MSI Z97 XPower AC.

I hope you can help me, many thanks in advance!

Permalänk
Skrivet av Lehto:

Alright, and its only these 3 thats getting released? No m-ITX board of the ECO series?

For the moment (and the rest of the year), it will be these three boards. It will depend on the demand for these "power saving boards", if we will expand the family or not.

BR,
Marc

Permalänk
Medlem

I bought a MSI Z87I AC which has been working fairly well so far. My first issue was that the RAM slots and the power connectors on the board were extremely tight -- is this normal? I almost didn't get the RAM in, I had to apply a lot of force to make it work. Now it's all fine, the system is running, but I'm never pulling those sticks out again (they are not snug in my other gigabyte motherboard).

Secondly I noticed the BIOS was very disappointing. It's confusing, illogical and lacking some features. First I tried to upgrade my bios (I had an old version, needed a newer one). I tried M-flash, did not work. Computer just hung every single time. In the end I found a tool on the internet I could use to boot from and finish the job -- very cumbersome.

So, I finally got past the BIOS upgrade and hoped to find those missing features -- I did not. What I miss the most is a GOOD OVERVIEW of the computer and *all* the sensors the motherboard has (and other peripherals it can read from). All I could find was the graphic "Hardware monitor" which really does not show much. Something like this http://www.nordichardware.com/skrivelser_img/432/bios7.jpg would be much clearer.

I really suggest you guys look over the bios and restructure it and hire someone who knows a thing or two about user interfaces, because it's pretty bad as it sits right now. And either fix M-Flash or remove it entirely, a quick google shows a tremendous amount of people having the same problem.

Permalänk
Skrivet av frosteys:

is there any fix yet for the soundproblems on msi z87-g45 gaming ? i have good sound but my microphone is so low i have it boosted to max and still im low when talking on every program ive tried so far . ive tried with 5 diffrent microphones aswell so its not my headset thats messed up either . aswell as tried my normal headphones on a diffrent computer and i had good microphone sound then .

dont feel like buying a usb soundcard since my motherboard isnt even 1 year old and been like this since day 1 .

Yes, Realtek fixed this issue in their later driver releases.
You can find the latest one: here

Permalänk
Medlem

So i have the Intel I7-4770, which is the 1150 socket. Is there any motherboard from msi which supports 3-way SLI with this socket'? since the X79A-GD45 PLUS is a 2011 socket version.

Visa signatur

Chazzi: NZXT Phantom 410 Black with Orange Trim Moderkort Asus Z87-K Processor Intel Core i7-4770k 3.9Ghz CPU Fläkt Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 CO Nätaggregat Corsair CX750 Grafikkort Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 Ram Kingston HyperX 16Gb 2400Mhz SSD Kingston 120 GB HyperX 3K read 555mb/s write 510mb/s Hårddisk 1Tb WB Windows 8
Headset Siberia v2 Frost Blue Illumination Keybord Steelseries Apex Mus Razer Deathadder

Permalänk

Hi 0xdeadbeef!

That's quite a specific question, but a good very good one of course. Let me check internally and get back to you.

Cheers,
Marc

Permalänk
Skrivet av Garroth:

So i have the Intel I7-4770, which is the 1150 socket. Is there any motherboard from msi which supports 3-way SLI with this socket'? since the X79A-GD45 PLUS is a 2011 socket version.

The answer here is Z97 XPOWER AC! It has the nvidia PLX chip, that gives you the extra PCI Express lanes to make 3-way SLI work!

BR,
Marc

Permalänk
Skrivet av qaaka:

I'll steal the virginity of this thread by asking how I change the BCLK on my z97-g45 to 100.00 instead of 99.98.
I cannot find the spread spectrum setting.

Hi gaaka,

Which BIOS and ME version are you using?
You can find this in the Settings->System Status menu in the BIOS.

Permalänk
Skrivet av frosteys:

As I recall this issue has been fixed in December last year. A driver update fixed the analog microphone volume too low issue.
It was posted by Meantek (former MSI employee) in this forum:

I tested that particular driver myself and it can still be downloaded from our server.
http://faenl.msi.com/index.php?dir=Mainboard/Drivers/Audio/&f...
This issue happened on all motherboards with ALC1150 codec (it's a generic driver fix from Realtek).

Newer drivers should include the fix as well (of course haven't tested all drivers for this particular issue).

Permalänk
Skrivet av Kaspersky 0_o:

I bought a MSI Z87I AC which has been working fairly well so far. My first issue was that the RAM slots and the power connectors on the board were extremely tight -- is this normal? I almost didn't get the RAM in, I had to apply a lot of force to make it work. Now it's all fine, the system is running, but I'm never pulling those sticks out again (they are not snug in my other gigabyte motherboard).

Secondly I noticed the BIOS was very disappointing. It's confusing, illogical and lacking some features. First I tried to upgrade my bios (I had an old version, needed a newer one). I tried M-flash, did not work. Computer just hung every single time. In the end I found a tool on the internet I could use to boot from and finish the job -- very cumbersome.

So, I finally got past the BIOS upgrade and hoped to find those missing features -- I did not. What I miss the most is a GOOD OVERVIEW of the computer and *all* the sensors the motherboard has (and other peripherals it can read from). All I could find was the graphic "Hardware monitor" which really does not show much. Something like this http://www.nordichardware.com/skrivelser_img/432/bios7.jpg would be much clearer.

I really suggest you guys look over the bios and restructure it and hire someone who knows a thing or two about user interfaces, because it's pretty bad as it sits right now. And either fix M-Flash or remove it entirely, a quick google shows a tremendous amount of people having the same problem.

The RAM slot are single latch version which means that on one side there is a latch to lock/unlock the modules and on the other side, the modules are hold by the slots pressure (which probably explains the force you need to put them in or pull them out, which is normal).

M-Flash is an easy option to flash the bios. We haven't had many issues on Z87 but we found that a small percentage USB flash memory sticks don't work.
Another option to update the bios (if you already installed Windows) is using Live Update.

If I look at the your hardware monitor example, I don't quite understand which sensor data you are missing in the Z87I AC bios Hardware monitor page?

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

Hi gaaka,

Which BIOS and ME version are you using?
You can find this in the Settings->System Status menu in the BIOS.

Hi. E7821IMS v2.0.
ME: 9.1.0.1120

Thansk for replying.

Permalänk
Skrivet av qaaka:

Hi. E7821IMS v2.0.
ME: 9.1.0.1120

Thansk for replying.

Could you have a try with bios 2.2? Z97-G45 Gaming
According to HQ the speed should switch between 99.98 and 100.01 MHz.
You can use M-flash in the bios to update the bios.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

Could you have a try with bios 2.2? Z97-G45 Gaming
According to HQ the speed should switch between 99.98 and 100.01 MHz.
You can use M-flash in the bios to update the bios.

Thank you. It worked
Has this version any improvments besides this that affect overclocking?
I've been struggling to get my system stable.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

The RAM slot are single latch version which means that on one side there is a latch to lock/unlock the modules and on the other side, the modules are hold by the slots pressure (which probably explains the force you need to put them in or pull them out, which is normal).

No I feel you, I've worked with many motherboards like this before -- only from asus though. These snapped in place just fine, without any excess force. They also stayed in place just fine.

Skrivet av Ruudt:

M-Flash is an easy option to flash the bios. We haven't had many issues on Z87 but we found that a small percentage USB flash memory sticks don't work.
Another option to update the bios (if you already installed Windows) is using Live Update.

Easy, but not funcioning. A quick google shows the entire msi-forum saying "dont use it, it will break your board -- use this custom made software by someone on the forum instead". Which I did, and it worked. I tried 3 difference USB sticks for M-flash, none worked.

I don't use windows so I can not use Live Update, which also seems to be discouraged (on msi forum) as it bricks boards.

Skrivet av Ruudt:

If I look at the your hardware monitor example, I don't quite understand which sensor data you are missing in the Z87I AC bios Hardware monitor page?
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/7244/MSI%20Z87I%20BIOS%2029%...

In Linux I have the ability to poll all sensors and read their data, something the motherboard bios should be able to do as well. From there I get temperature readings from many things (cpu, ram, mobo, south bridge, other sensors, 10 total), all the fan readings, and about 10 different voltage readings.

A plain old list with all these would be so much better than the current graphic interface, especially when you want to overview it. The UEFI-boards I have played with prior used to have a pretty exterior which you were able to turn off and access the standard bios look which almost always provided better overview (less clutter and dumb ui stuff) and the options I was looking for.

My suggestion would be to leave the UI for the people who fancy it, but add an option to turn it all off and see a standard bios view with all options streamlined and obvious (not hidden in some sketchy UI). If this happens, I would consider buying another MSI board (fix that damn M-flash, its embarrassing).

Permalänk
Skrivet av qaaka:

Thank you. It worked
Has this version any improvments besides this that affect overclocking?
I've been struggling to get my system stable.

Mainly compatibility improvements regarding VGA and memory and some fixes for M-flash and OC Genie.
To prevent issues I recommend running the optimized defaults for a while to see if your system runs stable.
You can load the optimized defaults with F6 and save with F10.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi I just bought and installed a motherboard (Z97-A). And my question is why you include and almost force all this shitty software on me when I just want to install the motherboard drivers? All I see when I first insert the MSI disc is advertisement for Norton, toolbars etc...

Then when clicking the drivers tab all these "free" programs is at the top. And because of that I can't use the "Install all" feature. So I have to install each driver separately and reebot between almost every one.. I understand you make money on this (duh) but I think it has reached a point where it affects the user experience negatively.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Lutop:

Hi I just bought and installed a motherboard (Z97-A). And my question is why you include and almost force all this shitty software on me when I just want to install the motherboard drivers? All I see when I first insert the MSI disc is advertisement for Norton, toolbars etc...

Then when clicking the drivers tab all these "free" programs is at the top. And because of that I can't use the "Install all" feature. So I have to install each driver separately and reebot between almost every one.. I understand you make money on this (duh) but I think it has reached a point where it affects the user experience negatively.

I wouldn't recommend using a Asus Z97-A with the MSI installer DVD.

The MSI installer DVD has an "Auto installer" function for drivers/utilities.
Before the driver installation it offers Google Chrome, Toolbar and Drive utility and also Norton Internet Security (those checkboxes are checked by default).
These can easily be deselected by unchecking the checkboxes.
See this picture:

(Yes this a sponsor deal, that's why the checkboxes are checked by default)

Permalänk

Public service announcement

I just wanted to say that you need to have a look at your RMA services. Below is a picture of a MSI motherboard I recieved which hadn't been laquered properly and several traces were exposed. Some had even begun to fall off:

When confronting your support, they asked me if I had tried to install it and verified the problem. I said that would be a sutpid and even hasardous idea as it might damage other components or even myself. After a very slow and long set of messages, they reached the conclusion that the issue wasn't of a serious nature and dopped the case.

This is essentially the reason why I won't ever be touching a MSI product, even with a ten foot pole, ever again. You might wan't to improve your Quality Control before more people notice this.

Permalänk
Skrivet av lord_moggo:

I just wanted to say that you need to have a look at your RMA services. Below is a picture of a MSI motherboard I recieved which hadn't ben laquered properly and several traces were expos3ed, some had even begun to fall off:
http://i.imgur.com/0dezwJJ.jpg

When confronting your support, they asked me if I had tried to install it and verified the problem. I said that would be a sutpid and even hasardous idea as it might damage other components or even myself. After a very slow and long set of messages, they reached the conclusion that the issue wasn't of a serious nature and dopped the case.

This is essentially the reason why I won't ever be touching a MSI product, even with a ten foot pole, ever again. You might wan't to improve your Quality Control before more people notice this.

Wow, those PCB traces are burnt. You were right not to install it. If you got this back from a shop or directly from MSI you have every right to complain.
Return it immediately to the person/company that has sent you this broken motherboard.

Sending emails to MSI in general or posting it on forums won't help you much. Address the person or service department responsible.