New HX750 Gold with fan surges

Permalänk
Medlem

New HX750 Gold with fan surges

I recently bought a new computer and chose the new 80 Plus Gold-certified HX750, mainly because the HX750 I bought last year (for another system) has performed very well. The new PSU seems to have a defective fan controller though.

The new PSU have sudden fan surges.

Irrespective of whether the system is in load or idle, the fan goes up to 100% speed for 2-3 seconds. Then the fan is immediately throttled down to a complete halt, which takes approx. 12-15 seconds. This happens over and over, with 7-9 minutes between the surges. When the fan controller is not malfunctioning it regulates the fan to run at relatively low, barely audible, speeds.

I have done the following troubleshooting to see if anything could be done about it:

1) Read: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85166
2) Disabled fan control for other the other fans in my chassi, ran monitoring software and ocularly inspected that the sensor readings were correct.
3) Removed the PSU intake dust screen in my chassi to make sure it was not a matter of too little air coming through.
4) Checked and found that the PSU is lukewarm (as expected) to the touch.
5) Removed the graphics card from my system, running on Intel HD Graphics 4000, to minimize power draw/cooling needs.

These actions have not improved the situation at all, and the PSU which supposedly should support fanless (passive) operation up to 20% (150W) load, continues to run the fan at recurring intervals.

I do not believe that the fan controller have been so poorly designed as to operate like this, given that it seems able to run the fan relatively slowly when I run the system at full load. I need a confirmation that my PSU is not working as intended as soon as possible -- mainly because I still have an option to send it back and get a full refund from my reseller, if it indeed is designed to operate like that.

I want to keep it, but I can't endure the noise level it currently produces.

Please help me sort this out. Thanks in advance!

Permalänk

I have a HX750 (bought 2012-10-16)that´s behaving exactly the same. I even had it exchanged for another one, but didn´t solve the problem. Could it be a bad batch from the factory? Anyway, I would also like to see an answer on this.

Permalänk
Medlem

I have a HX650W Gold from a week ago and it seems to do the same thing!

Permalänk
Medlem

I bought an HX750W Gold last week to replace my old TX650 (which has been installed in another computer). Initially it had the exact same behavior as described above. Extremely irritating.

I installed it in my "Antec P182" bottom compartment together with 3 hard drives, but no fan. In regular intervals a "tick" was heard from the unit, the fan surged to maximum speed and directly after this shut off and slowly revved down to complete halt. It took maybe 10-15 seconds from the "tick" until the fan wasn't moving any more. I couldn't find any correlation to computer load (CPU, GPU, disk IO).

When the interval between the surges was about 6 minutes, the computer was using around 120-130W, according to my power meter, and hadn't been above 200W since boot. So I figured it was due to temperature. The sides of the power supply and air pushed out by the power supply fan during the fan-surges was lukewarm, perhaps the top of the power supply was a little hotter than the other sides. So I tried with the case side open for a couple of hours, ambient temp around ~20C, this did not help. However, after installing a fan in the bottom compartment, the surges have stopped.

So my conclusion is that this most likely is due to some temperature sensor triggering. The temperature is just below the threshold and in regular intervals triggering the fan. The controller set the fan speed to maximum, and this is enough to drop the temperature just below the threshold again. Of course, it could also be that the system in regular intervals draws just above 150W and therefore triggering the fan. If this is what's happening, these surges are not detected by my power meter.

Anyhow, what I can't understand is why someone decided that a 100% speed was a good starting point. Why not just start slow and increase the speed if necessary...

Permalänk
Corsair

Hey all, any chance you could do a quick video of this surge on a phone/tablet and send me a download link, or private YT link? That way I can show it to the engineers in the US. Thanks!

Visa signatur
Permalänk
Medlem

I have the exact same issue with the HX650 Gold you sent me. I'll make a video of it tomorrow to show you.

Visa signatur

O2+ODAC - Denon AH-D2000
MiniDSP SHD - Emotiva UPA1 - Had Oy högtalare

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Blackbeard:

Hey all, any chance you could do a quick video of this surge on a phone/tablet and send me a download link, or private YT link? That way I can show it to the engineers in the US. Thanks!

Hi Blackbeard

I don't know if the other guys have the same problem as me, but my HX650 makes a sound that best could be descried as a "weird squeaking" and it sound exactly the same as in these youtubevideos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r5yZuYLEUs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9m3B5J41YI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIcEuFTrIws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKpSlE5bY4&feature=related

I currently have a 3770K (HT off at the moment) and i reused my old graphic cards, a Geforce GT440, so at the moment the power consumtion is so low even in load that it is below the limit where the fans starts to kick in most of the time (= silent), but when the fan does start up it makes the very weird sound that you can here in the videos above.

The idea of i "silent PSU" kind of get spoiled by this sound when the fan kicks in, especially since the computer is very quiet otherwise (Obsidian 550D, Thermalright Arcon push-pull, fans at their lowest RPM most of the time, Scyte PWM controlled 140mm Glidestream in the back, and the stock 2x120mm Corsair fans in the front. Besides the PSU noise, the computer is very quiet, the Corsair fans in the front might be the noisiest parts otherwise, and the are not really "noisy").

Edit: I think the guy who made this thread over at Overclockers made one of the videos http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1054835

And if you check the rewievs at Newegg and filter for the negative ones a lot of them mentions the same type of sound (screaching/chirping/squeaking)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-139-012&So...

Permalänk
Medlem

Hehe, I'm glad I haven't heard that "squeaking".

I'll see if I can make a video later in the week of the fan surges with my power supply.

Permalänk
Medlem

I think I had that chirpy sound yesterday, but I'm not sure. I think it will be hard to replicate since I haven't heard it again. But I will film the fan spinning up and down after school today.

Visa signatur

O2+ODAC - Denon AH-D2000

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Blackbeard:

Hey all, any chance you could do a quick video of this surge on a phone/tablet and send me a download link, or private YT link?

No, I can't because I sent it back to my retailer and got a full refund. It is now the property of Dustin Home in Stockholm.

I took photos of the stickers on the PSU and on the cardboard box. I have sent you a PM with links to the images.

Permalänk
Corsair

The 'chirping' could be coil whine, and this post could help: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85166

The fan rpm surge is something different I think, so if anyone can do a quick vid then that would be helpful, so I can show it to engineering.

Visa signatur
Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Blackbeard:

The fan rpm surge is something different I think, so if anyone can do a quick vid then that would be helpful, so I can show it to engineering.

My PSU seemed to operate like it was supposed to, when turned upside down, and that is the reason I sent mine back.

The fan controller is probably triggered by heat collecting at a certain spot, when the unit it mounted with the fan downwards, which in turn activates the fan. It would be fine if not for the fact that the fan starts at 100% speed, which is really a disaster from a silent design standpoint.

I solved the problem by purchasing an AX750 instead, but it still cost me money, and what's a lot more valuable to me - time, to get another PSU that does what your marketing claim it do. While installing my new AX750 I came across a cabling issue. While it is possibly a very minor issue, I am seriously beginning to doubt Corsair products in general.

I have bought many Corsair products over the years for myself and others, mostly memory modules, and I think it's a shame to blacken your reputation with poorly designed and inadequately tested components such as the new HX750. Maybe it is at CWT that heads should roll, but you guys still put the Corsair sticker on it.

Permalänk
Medlem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iHnrLzScec&feature=youtu.be

Here's a video of my HX650. You can hear the fan spinning up and down every now and then. Computer is in Idle and all fans are set to low and CPU is at ~38 degrees and GPU at ~30 degrees. Even with case open and dust filter in the bottom removed it behaves like this.

Visa signatur

O2+ODAC - Denon AH-D2000

Permalänk

LOL, my psu also spun up while I was watching that clip. I´ve tried filming it, but it comes on so sporadically (sometimes several times in an hour, at other times it´s several times a day), it´s hard to time it.
I managed to record the sound at least, using Italk on my Iphone.
I actually expected better from a Corsair product, especially a more expensive one. At least something that doesn´t sound possessed at idle or something simple like webbrowsing.