AX860i suddenly shuts down!

Permalänk
Hedersmedlem

AX860i suddenly shuts down!

I've had my new rig for about 4 months and the last month or so my PSU shuts down and trys to reboot without warning. It usually needs a few tries to reboot properly and sometimes doesn't even get to MB POST. It can be days between shut downs and sometimes it shuts down five times an hour by just idling. It has shut down when listening to music, when playing, when watching film, when browsing and from just idling.

My rig is:
CPU: Intel 3770K
Cooling: Corsair H100i
MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz Corsair Platinum
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB
Storage: Raid Array 2 x 3 TB
Audio: Asus Xonar Essence STX
Case: Cooler Master Haf Xb
GPU: 660Ti SLI
PSU: Corsair AX860i

I know I'm not the only one with this problem so please tell me you've found out what's wrong with your product and that it has since been fixed. I really don't want to change to another brand of PSU...

Thank you in advance!

Permalänk
Medlem

It looks really expencive and it seems to be a high quality product. I would recommend you trying the PSU with another system to see if the PSU is not working or if it's just something between your system and the PSU.
If you say this is a common issue, try calling the manufacturer and ask them.
Can't help with much more, good luck!

Permalänk
Corsair

It's really hard to say at this point if this is a PSU problem or something else. One way to isolate your PSU is what gaaka has suggested. Try a different PSU or maybe put the PSU in a different system and see if the problem persist. You can also check your 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails in the BIOS and see if they are all running within spec. Values should be within +/-5% range. I just want to make sure that the issue is not system dependent.

Permalänk
Hedersmedlem

Voltages are as they should. Todays measurements were 3,296 5,040 and 12,096 so well within acceptable limits.
I am testing my computer with another PSU (FSP 650-80EGN) right now and have had no system shut downs what so ever. Also, my AX 860i has been put in another system for testing to see if it shuts down there as well. That system is a Z68 with a 2500k and it seems like many who have had similar problems has been on the Ivy Bridge platform.

Similar problems where the PSU seems to be faulty:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=115157

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=113744

http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/127-corsair/1192523-corsair-...

I'll report back when I've had them in the test beds for a few days.

Permalänk
Medlem

Have you checked the event viewer logs? It sure points to the PSU but one can't be totally sure about it as previous posters said. Seeing that it's quite high in terms of W I assume it's fairly new? If so, RMA it and get a new one/other brand?

Visa signatur

..:: trickeh2k ::..
Windows 11 Pro - Ryzen 7 7800X3D - ASUS TUF B650-PLUS - Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 64GB CL36 - MSI MAG A850GL - MSI RTX 4080 VENTUS 3X OC - Acer Predator XB271HU - ASUS VG248QE - QPAD MK-85 (MX-Brown)/Logitech G PRO Wireless - Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 860 500GB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB - Steelseries Arctic 5 - Cooler Master Masterbox TD500 Mesh V2

Permalänk
Hedersmedlem

I've checked the event viewer every time and I get the regular Kernel Power fault (event ID 41) followed by the usual ones where it reports loss of internet connection and such.
If someone can tell me what is causing this problem and how to prevent it I would prefer to stick with another Corsair AX PSU. That and I really truly hate it when I need to tear my computer down again because of a faulty unit...

But hey, I'm trying everything I can to find exactly what's causing it. Unfortunatly, thus far, it's not looking good for the PSU since most of the other customers with the same problem has gotten rid of it by exchanging the PSU.

Permalänk
Hedersmedlem

It seems that, although the problem wasn't present with the other PSU, I owe Corsair an apology! I still got Kernel Power faults with the other PSU but it didn't shut down the computer. After some rummaging about in Windows and UEFI I found that Windows Fast Startup was activated in my settings (Windows-only setting). This seems to have caused some random troubles for random computers and while I haven't tested my AX860i for more than a few hours I haven't seen any Kernel Power faults at all after deactivating Windows Fast Startup.
So once again, I'm so sorry for jumping to an incorrect conclusion and blaming Corsair outright!

I still don't know if the shut downs occuring on my AX860i is due to a different technical PSU design or if I've been unlucky and actually getting a faulty unit, but for now it works without any hiccups and I blame only myself (and Microsoft...).

Thank you Corsair for wonderful products! (of which I have many)

Permalänk
Corsair

I'm glad to hear that you've got it sorted out

There is no need to blame yourself. PC trouble shooting does take some time in most cases to really find out the root cause of an issue at hand. It takes a lot of patience and you have done a good job doing that.

Permalänk
Hedersmedlem

Well, I'm back again. My last solution only postponed the problem until now.
I've now had the PSU randomly reboot on three different systems where only the PSU have been moved.
First the one in my OP, then in this one:
i5 2500k
H70 cooler
8 GB ram
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
MSI 560ti TwinFrozr II
2 x 1,5 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Raid
Windows 7 x64
All stock, no overclocking at all!

And lastly one of my friends AMD-systems which I don't have the specs for. All have rebooted randomly, completely without an apparent cause when using the AX860i. Only thing that speeds up the process is if I'm watching videos, but it still reboots even when idle.
NONE of the above computers reboot involuntarily with my other PSU (a FSP 650W unit). This has been tested and confirmed by switching the PSUs for a week in full.

I would like to RMA my PSU since I'm now pretty certain that is where the fault lies. Do I take it back to my retailer or do I need to send it somewhere?

Permalänk
Corsair

I would try contacting your reseller and see if they can do an even swap... if that doesn't work, then please submit a ticket here and let me know the ticket # so I can help you out push the RMA a lot quicker.

Permalänk
Hedersmedlem

I'll check with the reseller tomorrow. Thank you very much!

Permalänk
Corsair

No problem at all. Keep me posted