Vill du vara del av diskussionerna i forumet, ställa frågor eller hjälpa andra? Registrera dig här!

ryzen 2700 matx/mitx motherboard choices

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
Göteborg
Registrerad
Jul 2008

ryzen 2700 matx/mitx motherboard choices

Which mobo would you guys suggest I get?

I have narrowed it down to three choices I am looking at, I have a matx case.

MSI b450m mortar max, people say has good vrm but I can't find any info on this board.

ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX / ac has a nice sound card and bluetooth built in, both of those seem good but the fps looks a little slower than the other boards from a review I found. Same price as the msi board.

ASRock b450m pro4 Seems good and has okay VRM for overclocking. It is also about 300kr cheaper than the other two.

Which board can you suggest I get? If there is a better board let me know, thanks!

Kortat ner rubrik /Mod
Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Registrerad
Mar 2012

@LeatherPatch:
Perhaps this clip...uhmm it's like 30 minutes long... but, anyhow the clip might answer some of your questions https://youtu.be/MMJoLyrWa7E

Sometimes you can't pay it back, so you just have to pay it forward.

Trädvy Permalänk
Festpilot, Antiallo
David Kvist
Plats
Göteborg
Registrerad
Jun 2012
Skrivet av LeatherPatch:

Which mobo would you guys suggest I get?

I have narrowed it down to three choices I am looking at, I have a matx case.

MSI b450m mortar max, people say has good vrm but I can't find any info on this board.

ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX / ac has a nice sound card and bluetooth built in, both of those seem good but the fps looks a little slower than the other boards from a review I found. Same price as the msi board.

ASRock b450m pro4 Seems good and has okay VRM for overclocking. It is also about 300kr cheaper than the other two.

Which board can you suggest I get? If there is a better board let me know, thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFns...
4 Phases for Cores, each with approx 60 A continously, = 240 A, plenty for even Ryzen 9 3950X.

| PM:a Moderatorerna | Kontaktformuläret | Geeks Discord |
Testpilot, Skribent, Moderator & Geeks Gaming Huvudadmin

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
Göteborg
Registrerad
Jul 2008
Skrivet av DavidtheDoom:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFns...
4 Phases for Cores, each with approx 60 A continously, = 240 A, plenty for even Ryzen 9 3950X.

Thank you, that is a really good chart!

I can't really figure out tho, can you tell why is the mortar max listed as tier III while the Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX / ac is listed tier II.

It looks from what I can tell the VRM on the mortar max is better than the fatal1ty, can you check and see what is the difference?

Trädvy Permalänk
Festpilot, Antiallo
David Kvist
Plats
Göteborg
Registrerad
Jun 2012
Skrivet av LeatherPatch:

Thank you, that is a really good chart!

I can't really figure out tho, can you tell why is the mortar max listed as tier III while the Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX / ac is listed tier II.

It looks from what I can tell the VRM on the mortar max is better than the fatal1ty, can you check and see what is the difference?

It has three phases with doubling for CPU-cores, resulting in "6" x 60 A = 360 A.
It is still only three phases which means predominant ripple is still present.

I guess a "Tier 1" would be true phases but I have no idea really what this tiering is about.

240 A is plenty enough for almost all Ryzen processors and occasions. With airflow you can pull even more per phase resulting i close to 400 A in total for the Mortar-board.

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
Göteborg
Registrerad
Jul 2008
Skrivet av DavidtheDoom:

It has three phases with doubling for CPU-cores, resulting in "6" x 60 A = 360 A.
It is still only three phases which means predominant ripple is still present.

I guess a "Tier 1" would be true phases but I have no idea really what this tiering is about.

240 A is plenty enough for almost all Ryzen processors and occasions. With airflow you can pull even more per phase resulting i close to 400 A in total for the Mortar-board.

But I think the ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX / ac in the chart (make sure you see the B450 ITX version) has only 3x2 at 24A each making it only 144A. Isn't that correct?

Trädvy Permalänk
Festpilot, Antiallo
David Kvist
Plats
Göteborg
Registrerad
Jun 2012
Skrivet av LeatherPatch:

But I think the ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX / ac in the chart (make sure you see the B450 ITX version) has only 3x2 at 24A each making it only 144A. Isn't that correct?

You are correct, I looked at the ATX variant. 144 A seems correct. However the values looks wrong compared to the datasheet:
http://www.sinopowersemi.com/temp/SM7341EHKP_datasheet.pdf

The contiuous drain current of the Mosfets weaker channel is:
73 A at ambient 25 °C
46 A at 100 °C.

This would correlate to much higher power-delivery capabilities.
73 A * 6 = ~ 430 A
46 A * 6 = ~ 300 A

I guess the board will be limited by the driving voltage of the gate-driver rather than the Mosfets. 300-400 A is ridiculous for a mITX-board.

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
Göteborg
Registrerad
Jul 2008
Skrivet av DavidtheDoom:

You are correct, I looked at the ATX variant. 144 A seems correct. However the values looks wrong compared to the datasheet:
http://www.sinopowersemi.com/temp/SM7341EHKP_datasheet.pdf

The contiuous drain current of the Mosfets weaker channel is:
73 A at ambient 25 °C
46 A at 100 °C.

This would correlate to much higher power-delivery capabilities.
73 A * 6 = ~ 430 A
46 A * 6 = ~ 300 A

I guess the board will be limited by the driving voltage of the gate-driver rather than the Mosfets. 300-400 A is ridiculous for a mITX-board.

I'm thinking I might just avoid this board and go for the mortar max b450m. Don't you think it'd be less of a gamble? Even tho the itx has onboard bluetooth and a better sound card I'm thinking it might be worth it to get the mortar.

Trädvy Permalänk
Festpilot, Antiallo
David Kvist
Plats
Göteborg
Registrerad
Jun 2012
Skrivet av LeatherPatch:

I'm thinking I might just avoid this board and go for the mortar max b450m. Don't you think it'd be less of a gamble? Even tho the itx has onboard bluetooth and a better sound card I'm thinking it might be worth it to get the mortar.

The values I stated are correct, it just a sloppy table. You can check the numbers for drain current in the datasheet.
Mortar Max is also a good board. Don't overthink this however. The craze about high power VRM started before Ryzen 3000 dropped. People expected Zen 2 to overclock a lot, which it doesn't. Even 144 A will be plenty enough for all Ryzen 3000 CPUs stock. Remember, the VRMs are rated for a much lower continuous load than the maximum transient allowed load.

I'd go with the mITX in a heartbeat if you want a mITX board.
Personally I bought Asus Strix B350-I and Gigabyte B450 I Aorus, both mITX.
You can read my review of the Aorus X570 I here.

Most mITX are fine, with airflow you can pull a lot of power. With an AIO I would be more careful. A really overclocked Ryzen 9 3950X with an AIO with marginal airflow over VRM is a disaster to happen regardless of which board you buy.