Computer is built thanks to you, but something strange is going on.

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
malmo
Registrerad
Dec 2010

Computer is built thanks to you, but something strange is going on.

Computer specs...

Asrock 880G Extreme3
Fractal Design Integra 500W
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ
AMD Phenom2 X2 555 3,2GHz BlackEdition
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) Value Select DDR3 1333MHz
xfx radeon hd5770

So here is the deal, I built it, spent 3 days working on a project and didnt play with it at all, and then yesterday I finally sat down with it and SOMEHOW it unlocked itself to the AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B55 Processor without me doing ANYTHING.

You can find some pics here of the asrock oc tuner specs and some occt readings
http://imgur.com/XaYXk

and here you can find pics of my bios i took this morning
http://picasaweb.google.com/116969 [...] 7/Computer

You can see the ucc is now enabled, that is because i selected it this morning since it is already unlocked...

Also I thought I increased the cpu voltage through the asrock oc tuner but i think it has gone back down to 1.3 from 1.35.

I ran prime95 for 10 hours last night and it shows no errors. The temp was sticking to around 60 but is down to 43 now. I plan on running occt today some more as well.

What else can/should I do to respond to this sudden increase in cores? I am honestly terrified of overclocking and ruining some part of my new system. It worries me even more that it happened on its own.

I would LOVE any advice about what might have caused this and what I should do.

Oh, and I dont know if it is worth noting but the only odd things that have happened since I built this was one bsod (which was fixed with a reboot), the clock and date randomly changing (in both bios and windows), the quick launch area of windows acting very odd at times, and the windows experience index giving me an error since the other cores opened up.

Thank you for whatever help and advice you can give. If any of you live in Malmo and want to help out in person I will supply the beer if you feel like just coming by and taking a look.

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
Falkenberg
Registrerad
Dec 2007

Interesting... Did you actually get four "CPU Usage History" displays in Windows Task Manager ?

Considder having a BIOS corruption caused by corrupted CMOS or bad battery... since you also have had
previous disturbances "the clock and date randomly changing".

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2927

Citat:

In its BIOS there's an option for Advanced Clock Calibration. All you need to do is set EC Firmware Selection to Hybrid, and ACC to Auto:
Patiently waiting and a self-initiated reboot later and my CPU was identified as a Phenom II X4 B55 BE. Four cores running at 3.2GHz, just like a Phenom II X4 955 but for $99.

Windows 10 Pro x64 | Zalman HD160XT Plus | Fractal Design 800W | AMD Ryzen 7 1800x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB | ASUS Radeon R9 290 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD M.2. 960 Pro. 1TB | Philips Brilliance 40" BDM4065

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
malmo
Registrerad
Dec 2010

I just checked and there are 4 cpu usage histories.

Should I " set EC Firmware Selection to Hybrid, and ACC to Auto"?

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
Falkenberg
Registrerad
Dec 2007
Skrivet av anotherera:

I just checked and there are 4 cpu usage histories.
Should I " set EC Firmware Selection to Hybrid, and ACC to Auto"?

No, that was just a quote from the link I suplied.
The link showed how easy it was on some motherboards to open up an 2-core to 4-core just by BIOS settings.
In your case this might have been done without your interaction, because of a faulty BIOS reading/handling.
Enjoy the extra cores !

However if the problem with "the clock and date randomly changing" continues you might consider
having the BIOS-battery on the motherboard changed.

Windows 10 Pro x64 | Zalman HD160XT Plus | Fractal Design 800W | AMD Ryzen 7 1800x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB | ASUS Radeon R9 290 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD M.2. 960 Pro. 1TB | Philips Brilliance 40" BDM4065

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
malmo
Registrerad
Dec 2010

I enabled the cpu active core control like in your quote, which was previously disabled. Was this a good thing?

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
Falkenberg
Registrerad
Dec 2007
Skrivet av anotherera:

I enabled the cpu active core control like in your quote, which was previously disabled. Was this a good thing?

Yes that was in your favor... Four for the price of two.
I don't think AMD had this in mind though...