Question about Corsair water cooling solutions.

Permalänk
Avstängd

Question about Corsair water cooling solutions.

Hi,

I've never though about looking at what the materials used are in your products because I have assumed that everone today knows that mixing Copper with Aluminium is a big nono, even with anticorrosion fluids it's just not safe because the copper will eat the aluminium no matter what.

With that in mind I was shocked when I saw that you use both copper and aluminium in your products, did you not know about galvanic corrosion or did you trust the 3rd party manufacturer whom used the cheaper solution to make a few extra dollars?
I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy and use these cooling solutions, and I honestly hope that you are going to replace these products with radiators with a brass chamber and copper fins.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Skuggan74:

Hi,

I've never though about looking at what the materials used are in your products because I have assumed that everone today knows that mixing Copper with Aluminium is a big nono, even with anticorrosion fluids it's just not safe because the copper will eat the aluminium no matter what.

With that in mind I was shocked when I saw that you use both copper and aluminium in your products, did you not know about galvanic corrosion or did you trust the 3rd party manufacturer whom used the cheaper solution to make a few extra dollars?
I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy and use these cooling solutions, and I honestly hope that you are going to replace these products with radiators with a brass chamber and copper fins.

Try to contact them!

Visa signatur

Jag är inte intresserad om jag har rätt eller fel, jag gillar diskussion :)

Permalänk
Avstängd
Skrivet av Alexander7938:

Try to contact them!

Thats what I just did?:)

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Permalänk
Medlem

I had the same thought about my old old Zalman Reserator XT, copper and aluminum block.
Although I have been using Innovatek protect (ready mixture) coolant for 4 years now without any problems with corrosion in that system.
The only thing I had to do was to refill the tank for the first time, and that was two weeks ago

Perhaps it is so that the corrosion degrades the aluminum so slow it's neglectable?
My second question regarding cooling systems, are you planning to do a noiseless water cooling system?

Permalänk
Avstängd
Skrivet av SolidReactor:

I had the same thought about my old old Zalman Reserator XT, copper and aluminum block.
Although I have been using Innovatek protect (ready mixture) coolant for 4 years now without any problems with corrosion in that system.
The only thing I had to do was to refill the tank for the first time, and that was two weeks ago

Perhaps it is so that the corrosion degrades the aluminum so slow it's neglectable?
My second question regarding cooling systems, are you planning to do a noiseless water cooling system?

The only reason Aluminium is used is because it is cheaper than brass/copper. Aluminium and Copper doesnt even go together under dry conditions, in wet conditions like here it is strongly corrosive. The corrosion doesnt have to be visible, what it does is weakening the Aluminum until it is as weak as paper. The question is, how long does it take before it gives in to the pressure in the loop?

I've seen many watercooling failures wich happened even when anticorrosive fluid was used when they mixed metals that doesnt go hand in hand. A simple rule to follow is to use metals from the same group in a waterloop, brass, copper, nickel is fine, anything else is not.
This anticorrosive fluid contains a fluid wich pH is between 4 and 9, because that makes the Aluminum to create a 10nm thick protective layer, the sligthest damage to this thin layer will result in corrosion. It's just not safe to use Aluminium together with copper.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Skuggan74:

The only reason Aluminium is used is because it is cheaper than brass/copper. Aluminium and Copper doesnt even go together under dry conditions, in wet conditions like here it is strongly corrosive. The corrosion doesnt have to be visible, what it does is weakening the Aluminum until it is as weak as paper. The question is, how long does it take before it gives in to the pressure in the loop?

I've seen many watercooling failures wich happened even when anticorrosive fluid was used when they mixed metals that doesnt go hand in hand. A simple rule to follow is to use metals from the same group in a waterloop, brass, copper, nickel is fine, anything else is not.
This anticorrosive fluid contains a fluid wich pH is between 4 and 9, because that makes the Aluminum to create a 10nm thick protective layer, the sligthest damage to this thin layer will result in corrosion. It's just not safe to use Aluminium together with copper.

Thanks!

Permalänk
Avstängd

Why do Corsair avoid to reply?

Will Corsair cover any destroyed parts in peoples computers when this unit fails?
If Corsair covers all expenses when a leak occurs within 5 years from date of purchase, then I could live with it being copper mixed with aluminium, but if they do not cover destroyed parts there are no excuses using the cheaper aluminium heatsink.

Permalänk
Corsair

Yes, we do cover components in an event where the cooler leaks and damages your other hardware. We have a process in place to tackle these cases and they are handled on a case to case basis.

Now, in regards about the Aluminum/Copper being part of the loop, now that's a totally different ball game. Most leak cases that we have seen were caused by the tubes not being properly secured, and a few caused by the pump cover being loose. We have NEVER seen a leak issue where galvanic corrosion within the loop was the reason why the cooler leaked.

We’ve been selling completely sealed all in one coolers with copper coldplates and aluminum radiators for more than 5 years now, and all our coolers carry a 5 year warranty. While you’re right that corrosion can occur, we have yet to see it happen in the expected lifespan of the cooler due to the anti-corrosion coolant used. We stand fully behind our products and their warranty, and as the best selling all-in-one liquid cooling products in the world, if anyone were going to see a problem, it would be us. Our anti-corrossion coolant and sealed units have proven more than effective at reducing or eliminating the galvanic corrosion risk.

Going to a copper or brass radiator would add significant cost – making all-in-one liquid coolers significantly less affordable to users. The added performance is also not significant for the majority of users in the type of loops we’re currently offering. However, we may explore these options in the future. For right now, however, we are confident in our product quality and reliability and thousands of our customers would happily agree.

Permalänk
Avstängd
Skrivet av Greybeard:

Yes, we do cover components in an event where the cooler leaks and damages your other hardware. We have a process in place to tackle these cases and they are handled on a case to case basis.

Now, in regards about the Aluminum/Copper being part of the loop, now that's a totally different ball game. Most leak cases that we have seen were caused by the tubes not being properly secured, and a few caused by the pump cover being loose. We have NEVER seen a leak issue where galvanic corrosion within the loop was the reason why the cooler leaked.

We’ve been selling completely sealed all in one coolers with copper coldplates and aluminum radiators for more than 5 years now, and all our coolers carry a 5 year warranty. While you’re right that corrosion can occur, we have yet to see it happen in the expected lifespan of the cooler due to the anti-corrosion coolant used. We stand fully behind our products and their warranty, and as the best selling all-in-one liquid cooling products in the world, if anyone were going to see a problem, it would be us. Our anti-corrossion coolant and sealed units have proven more than effective at reducing or eliminating the galvanic corrosion risk.

Going to a copper or brass radiator would add significant cost – making all-in-one liquid coolers significantly less affordable to users. The added performance is also not significant for the majority of users in the type of loops we’re currently offering. However, we may explore these options in the future. For right now, however, we are confident in our product quality and reliability and thousands of our customers would happily agree.

Thank you for the reply wich was informative, but even if the anticorrosive fluid used would be enough to keep it going for 5 years things could happen. More often than not, since it is a third party manufacturer they could without your knowledge or approval exchange the fluid for a cheaper fluid wich is not anticorrosive, we've seen it happen before with Apple.
But I still think you should experiment with brass and copper, even if the price would increase by 20$ wich is more than enough to cover the raw material needed to use that instead. There are many manufacturers who sell cheap 280 radiators made of a brass chamber and copperfins. Perhaps you could sell an enthusiast series with a copper block and copper house on that and a brass/copper radiator.

I do like that you will cover broken parts if your cooler leaks though, but what is the roof?
Will you cover the costs of someone using this cooler in a machine with 8 Tesla cards? I mean there has to be a limit on how much you will cover right?

Permalänk
Corsair

We do have our own people in the factory to keep an eye on things to make sure that we are following standard protocol.

We are open to any changes and will be willing to explore other options. It's just a matter of timing. When we started seeing that change is needed to be made due to consumer's demand, then we would be the first one to react and offer a new line of all-in-one liquid solution for your CPU.

Damage due the cooler leaked will be compensated based on the current market value of the hardware and not the retail value.

Permalänk
Medlem

Appreciate your replies, thanks.

Permalänk
Corsair

No problem at all

Permalänk
Avstängd
Skrivet av Greybeard:

No problem at all

Perhaps you could make something like the Cooler Master Eisberg 240L Prestige, that one is using a copper block with a copper radiator.
I would also want to see models with better radiators, wouldnt have to use custom watercooling if you had a model with a 360 radiator that was much thicker, something like the EK XTX, made of brass/copper ofcourse. Since custom watercooling is pretty expensive you could charge a premium price for such a solution and still undercut a custom built solution.

Permalänk
Medlem

I am bumping this thread, a lot - but I just wanted to say that I opened up a 10 year old Corsair H70, and zero corrosion! Very impressive.

Visa signatur

Spelar du eller vill du spela Valheim? Joina vår dedikerade server och Discord. PM:a för inbjudan.

Permalänk
Inaktivt företagskonto
Skrivet av bimbim:

I am bumping this thread, a lot - but I just wanted to say that I opened up a 10 year old Corsair H70, and zero corrosion! Very impressive.

Kul att höra! Bump of the year.