Permalänk

AX760i tick-sound

Hi!

Recently I bought a Corsair AX760i psu. After a few days I noticed that it made a very mild tick/click sound every 10 seconds. It was hardly noticablble but if one listened very close to the psu with nothing coming from the speakers in a completely quiet room, it was there. So I had it returned to the vendor who confirmed the sound and sent me a new one. To my surprise the new psu has the exact same sound and after doing some googling I found others who's having the same sound coming from their AX760i's.

Now, my questions; since the sound itself posts no problem (as I explained it's much too weak to be noticed under normal circumstances) I'll be quite happy to keep the psu, since it's a very nice psu. BUT, I need to know if this sound is common/normal on this model? WHAT is making this sound? Does it compromise the psu's function or lifespan in any way?

Kind regards,
Martin

Permalänk
Corsair

Hello Thunder Goblin,
Typically, when a PSU makes a clicking sound, the first thing that I would check is the fan. Try to unscrew the the PSU and flip it fan facing up. See if the fan is hitting some wire or something. Now if the clicking is very faint and it doesn't change between loads, then I would try using a different power outlet and see if the clicking goes away.

btw, is the system stable? is it shutting down or some sort?

Permalänk

Hello Greybeard!

Actually, the sound is only heard when the psu-fan is NOT spinning. The sound was verified by the vendors serviceteam on my first unit (so they sent me a new one). One suggestion I found when googling this issue is that it's some sort of pulse going to the fan when it's not spinning. And if the psu's load is to little (below 20% I think) the fan decides not to spin up. I was hoping you could verify this.

As written in my first post, the sound is too weak to be heard under normal cirumstances so I don't care about that. However, what I do care about is wether this is a defect that affects the function or lifespan of the unit. But since the second psu has the exact same sound it seems most likely, at least to me, that this is something normal for this model. If not, then I have been really unlucky receiving two defective units.

The system is very stable. No shutdowns or strange behaviour whatsoever.

Permalänk
Corsair

Ah I see.. now I know what you are referring to. Sorry, I didn't even ask if the fan was running or not. This faint clicking noise that you are hearing is not uncommon with our AXi series PSU. Due to the fan less mode feature of the PSU, which is PWM controlled, the pulse signal being sent to the fan is the one causing the ticking sound. This is far from being a defect on the PSU nor it will affect the PSU's longevity and performance. Your PSU is good, you shouldn't worry about it

Permalänk
Medlem

Detta var ju väldigt märkligt, att du skriver på engelska... I ditt näst senaste inlägg skrev du på svenska. Du vet att det här är ett svenskt forum va?

pinsamt av mig då... =/

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Lindell90:

Detta var ju väldigt märkligt, att du skriver på engelska... I ditt näst senaste inlägg skrev du på svenska. Du vet att det här är ett svenskt forum va?

http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/127-corsair/956864-detta-for...

Visa signatur

Hemma hos mig är det en Microsoft-fri miljö..
Dator 1: iMac 27" 5K - i7 4,2GHz - 32GB 2400MHz CL14 - 512GB SSD - Radeon PRO 580 8GB - 2xDell P2715Q 4K - 4TB Lacie D2 Thunderbolt
HTPC: ASUS X99-M WS - i7 5960X - H100i GTX - 16GB 3000Mhz - Samsung SM951 512GB - ASUS GTX 780 DCU II OC - AX860 Platinum - Corsair 350D - Linux
Bärbar 1: MacBook PRO 15" 2018 / i7 / 512GB SSD NAS: Synology DS918+ 32TB+2x512GB SSD

Permalänk
Skrivet av Greybeard:

Ah I see.. now I know what you are referring to. Sorry, I didn't even ask if the fan was running or not. This faint clicking noise that you are hearing is not uncommon with our AXi series PSU. Due to the fan less mode feature of the PSU, which is PWM controlled, the pulse signal being sent to the fan is the one causing the ticking sound. This is far from being a defect on the PSU nor it will affect the PSU's longevity and performance. Your PSU is good, you shouldn't worry about it

Thanks for clearing things up:-)

Permalänk
Corsair
Skrivet av ThunderGoblin:

Thanks for clearing things up:-)

No problem at all