Permalänk
Medlem

Low GPU usage

https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-officially-acknowledge-the-lo...

The link above describes a problem that i am having with my gtx 980 ti along with my i5 3570k clocked at 4,2 GHz. The issue appears in most games I play. For example in GTA 5 GPU usage lies around 60 % and in Skyrim it is mostly somewhere between 30-40 %. I am not 100% sure that this can be blamed on my GPU not working properly since I think i had similar issues with my old gtx 670 and my friend is having problem with GPU usage on his amd-card as well. In some games my minimum fps is almost the same as it was with my gtx 670, which confuses me.

this problem seems to be quite common but I have not found anything about what is causing it. Is it GPU bound or caused by something else? would be super grateful if this could be sorted out.

Permalänk
Medlem

What is your cpu load at when you have that gpu %

Visa signatur

MB MSI PRO Z790-A MAX WIFI CPU i9 14900K CPU COOLER EK-Nucleus AIO CR360
GPU ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 STRIX GAMING OC PSU ASUS ROG Strix 1000W
MEM CORSAIR DOMINATOR TITANIUM 48GB DDR5 RGB 7000Mhz
MONITOR Asus PG42UQ 4K CHASSI Phanteks Eclipse P600S White
HD 1 Samsung 990 PRO 2Tb HD 2 Samsung 980 PRO 2Tb

Permalänk
Medlem

In most cases bad GPU load is due to overload on a cpu thread. So what CPU do you have? Do you have the latest BIOS for both the motherboard and the graphicscard? Try running virtual super resolution and just crank everything up to see if GPU usage goes up, just to see if the GPU is working hard if the CPU throttling is at minimum.

EDIT: Also try running this benchmark tool as it barely utilizes the CPU.

Visa signatur

Citera eller @philipborg om du vill att jag ska läsa dina svar.

Permalänk
Medlem

in skyrim the cpu load is about 50% but in gta 5 and some other games its possible that my cpu is bottlenecking the gpu @Mogwaii:

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av philipborg:

In most cases bad GPU load is due to overload on a cpu thread. So what CPU do you have? Do you have the latest BIOS for both the motherboard and the graphicscard? Try running virtual super resolution and just crank everything up to see if GPU usage goes up, just to see if the GPU is working hard if the CPU throttling is at minimum.

EDIT: Also try running this benchmark tool as it barely utilizes the CPU.

I ran the benchmark and got an average of 90 fps and score was approximately 3800. The gpu ran at full load but had large dips regularly. what is the best way to update bios, never done it before?

Permalänk
Skrivet av Hannenes:

what is the best way to update bios, never done it before?

Go to your motherboard manufacturers homesite and check there. Different methods for different brands and setups. Be sure to follow the instructions exactly as described so you don't break anything.. If there's a choice between an auto installer from the web and a manual installer with an USB stick, use the latter way as it's usually a lot more reliable.
Good luck:)

Visa signatur

i9 10850K | MSI RTX3090 Ventus OC 24GB | MSI Tomahawk Z490 MAG | RM850x
Kingston HyperX DDR4 32GB 3600MHz CL18 | Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB
LG OLED 65CX / 55B7 | Philips BDM3270 monitor | PS4 Pro | Oculus Quest 2

Permalänk
Medlem

Also, don't forget to update your graphics card bios. http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ Make sure to make a backup! Each manufacturer have their own bios.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Hannenes:

in skyrim the cpu load is about 50% but in gta 5 and some other games its possible that my cpu is bottlenecking the gpu @Mogwaii:

Download something like MSI Afterburner and put up the resource monitor in a separate window. After playing GTA for about 5 mins or so, just alt+tab or quit. Check the graphs for CPU usage over the cores. You're on an overclocked Ivy, sure it could bottleneck in some occasions but it just doesn't seem very likely to me.

Visa signatur

..:: trickeh2k ::..
Windows 11 Pro - Ryzen 7 7800X3D - ASUS TUF B650-PLUS - Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 64GB CL36 - MSI MAG A850GL - MSI RTX 4080 VENTUS 3X OC - Acer Predator XB271HU - ASUS VG248QE - QPAD MK-85 (MX-Brown)/Logitech G PRO Wireless - Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 860 500GB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB - Steelseries Arctic 5 - Cooler Master Masterbox TD500 Mesh V2

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av trickysaer:

Download something like MSI Afterburner and put up the resource monitor in a separate window. After playing GTA for about 5 mins or so, just alt+tab or quit. Check the graphs for CPU usage over the cores. You're on an overclocked Ivy, sure it could bottleneck in some occasions but it just doesn't seem very likely to me.

in games like battlefield 3 or 4 and gta 5 my cpu load is almost maxed out 80-100% while the gpu runs at 50%. Also in games where the cpu load is low my gpu just won't hit higher than 80% if i am lucky but mostly my gpu load is actually less than 60%.

thanks for all the suggestions and help so far but I am not sure if I dare to update my bios.

Permalänk

@Hannenes:
What CPU do you have, sounds like it is bottlenecking your GPU (your first thought) you want your CPU to run at 4000 minimum, IMO.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Hannenes:

in games like battlefield 3 or 4 and gta 5 my cpu load is almost maxed out 80-100% while the gpu runs at 50%. Also in games where the cpu load is low my gpu just won't hit higher than 80% if i am lucky but mostly my gpu load is actually less than 60%.

thanks for all the suggestions and help so far but I am not sure if I dare to update my bios.

Well if it sits at 100% for a second or longer that seems to indicate that it's bottleknecking your gpu. BF3 shouldn't be so heavy so it seems kinda weird. Are you sure it's running at 4,2Ghz at all times? Also, any temp issues=? I doubt a bios flash would improve anything.

Skrivet av Christian71:

@Hannenes:
What CPU do you have, sounds like it is bottlenecking your GPU (your first thought) you want your CPU to run at 4000 minimum, IMO.

He already said so, Ivy i5 @ 4,2Ghz.

Visa signatur

Windows 11 Pro - Ryzen 7 7800X3D - ASUS TUF B650-PLUS - Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 64GB CL36 - MSI MAG A850GL - MSI RTX 4080 VENTUS 3X OC - Acer Predator XB271HU - ASUS VG248QE - QPAD MK-85 (MX-Brown)/Logitech G PRO Wireless - Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 860 500GB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB - Steelseries Arctic 5 - Cooler Master Masterbox TD500 Mesh V2

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Christian71:

@Hannenes:

i5 3570k @4,2 GHz. It feels weird if it is bottlenecked so easily. But it pretty much runs at full load while playing battlefield 3 or 4 and GTA 5 so in these games i can understand that bottlenecking is a possibility. But as i have said before, even in less cpu-demanding games where the load on the cpu is not very high my gpu will only be at around 50% load. That is what confuses me the most.

Permalänk
Skrivet av trickysaer:

He already said so, Ivy i5 @ 4,2Ghz.

Yeah sorry I manged to miss that even though I did look.. :/

Skrivet av Hannenes:

i5 3570k @4,2 GHz. It feels weird if it is bottlenecked so easily. But it pretty much runs at full load while playing battlefield 3 or 4 and GTA 5 so in these games i can understand that bottlenecking is a possibility. But as i have said before, even in less cpu-demanding games where the load on the cpu is not very high my gpu will only be at around 50% load. That is what confuses me the most.

That is indeed weird. Sure you haven't turned on and fps lock, custom v-synck etc, in MSI afterburner, riva statistics server, nvidia control panels program settings or something like that?
Try a reinstall maybe? (A pain I know)
Cant think of anything else at the moment, sorry
Would love to hear a solution to this problem though

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Christian71:

Yeah sorry I manged to miss that even though I did look.. :/

That is indeed weird. Sure you haven't turned on and fps lock, custom v-synck etc, in MSI afterburner, riva statistics server, nvidia control panels program settings or something like that?
Try a reinstall maybe? (A pain I know)
Cant think of anything else at the moment, sorry
Would love to hear a solution to this problem though

I have been thinking about reinstalling when windows 10 comes out, so lets hold our thumbs for that doing the job. And yes, it would be fantastic if someone knew what is behind all this but I guess you would have to do a huge troubleshooting to be able to find out.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av trickysaer:

I doubt a bios flash would improve anything.

There have been some very similar issues for some people that used old BIOS versions on other MB chipsets, I have never heard of it for the Z97 chipset though but it is certainly a possibility. They could get extremely low GPU usage and it was solved with a MB Bios update. OP really should try a MB bios update, it is not difficult at all and only takes a couple of minutes.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av philipborg:

There have been some very similar issues for some people that used old BIOS versions on other MB chipsets, I have never heard of it for the Z97 chipset though but it is certainly a possibility. They could get extremely low GPU usage and it was solved with a MB Bios update. OP really should try a MB bios update, it is not difficult at all and only takes a couple of minutes.

my MB has a Z77 chipset and you are making a bios update sounding pretty hopeful. But I have heard that you can kill the MB if something goes wrong, maybe i will try to find someone with a little more experience who could do it for me.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Hannenes:

my MB has a Z77 chipset and you are making a bios update sounding pretty hopeful. But I have heard that you can kill the MB if something goes wrong, maybe i will try to find someone with a little more experience who could do it for me.

For some reason I thought you had a 4690k and a z97 MB but that most have been some other thread. Anyhow, it is not a question of experience just incredibly bad luck. Things like power shortages etc. What MB do you have more specifically?

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av philipborg:

For some reason I thought you had a 4690k and a z97 MB but that most have been some other thread. Anyhow, it is not a question of experience just incredibly bad luck. Things like power shortages etc. What MB do you have more specifically?

MSI Z77A-S01 (MS-7752)

Permalänk
Medlem

As long as you follow the instructions and do it from uefi or similar it's almost fail proof. Bad usb drive or power outage is more or less the only chance for it to go wrong.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Hannenes:

MSI Z77A-S01 (MS-7752)

http://eu.msi.com/support/mb/Z77AS01.html#down-bios

There you go. Reading the changelogs they have added GPU compatability so I am almost certain this will solve it.

EDIT: Relevant video

There are also instructions in the download.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Hedersmedlem

Are you 100% sure that your overclock is good? Try removing it and check if things improve.

Visa signatur

Använd gilla för att markera nyttiga inlägg!

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av giplet:

Are you 100% sure that your overclock is good? Try removing it and check if things improve.

Only GPU overclock can cause unstable performance, CPU overclock causes miscalculations and therefor crashes, not bad performance.

Visa signatur

Permalänk

Have more or less the same problem here.
Started to day. In all games and benchmarks I have tryed so far I see my gpu usage fluctuate betwen ~3-90% no matter what I do. so if you fin a sulution please let me know!

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av foffepoffe:

Have more or less the same problem here.
Started to day. In all games and benchmarks I have tryed so far I see my gpu usage fluctuate betwen ~3-90% no matter what I do. so if you fin a sulution please let me know!

First of all try updating you BIOS if you do not have the latest version already, primarily MB but also Graphics card. That is always the first thing to do if there is any problem with hardware. MB get better compatability with each update most often, but sometimes the shipped VGA BIOS is faulty. That was the case with for example Asus 290x DCUII.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av philipborg:

First of all try updating you BIOS if you do not have the latest version already, primarily MB but also Graphics card. That is always the first thing to do if there is any problem with hardware. MB get better compatability with each update most often, but sometimes the shipped VGA BIOS is faulty. That was the case with for example Asus 290x DCUII.

Gonna see if I can find a newer bios for my MB. have never change vga bios before. from what I can find 84.00.36.00.07 is the newest bios for my 980 ti gaming card.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av foffepoffe:

Gonna see if I can find a newer bios for my MB. have never change vga bios before. from what I can find 84.00.36.00.07 is the newest bios for my 980 ti gaming card.

MB bios is easy to find, VGA can be harder. I recommend looking here http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/
Just make sure to make a backup of the VGA bios. Most likely though it is the MB bios and not the VGA bios, but updating your VGA bios is almost always a good thing anyhow, as long as things don't go wrong during the installation phase.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av philipborg:

MB bios is easy to find, VGA can be harder. I recommend looking here http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/
Just make sure to make a backup of the VGA bios. Most likely though it is the MB bios and not the VGA bios, but updating your VGA bios is almost always a good thing anyhow, as long as things don't go wrong during the installation phase.

I have the latest bios for my MB. Now I'm just gunna se if I can do this VGA bios then.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av foffepoffe:

I have the latest bios for my MB. Now I'm just gunna se if I can do this VGA bios then.

Also, I don't even need to ask this probably but you do have the latest drivers right? Try beta drivers.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem

again, thanks for the help and suggestions guys, much appreciated. I will reinstall my computer and upgrade to windows 10 when it launches. If that does not help i will update my bios.

Permalänk
Skrivet av philipborg:

Also, I don't even need to ask this probably but you do have the latest drivers right? Try beta drivers.

I have tried 353.06 353.30 353.38 had the problem om all of em.

But now the gpu usage seems to work again.

I have no clue what I did. But my system haven't had this many reboots in the past 6 months!