Permalänk
Medlem

@ electrofunk

yes holes are for cable management although they are very basic right now and need more thought.

As for the HDD - that shape remains from the original concept, and is just symbolic now. I'm actually working on that right now, the verticle mounting is a thought but I'm not going to cram as many HDD in there as possible - that's often overkill, I think 6 is enough for this chassis but I'd love to know what the perfect number is and work around that.

It did occur to me to incorporate a NAS feature in there so when it's off, or almost off, you could still host your own site, bittorrents or games (if hosting a game is possible without a full OS).

Thanks for the excellent ASCII illustration!

Permalänk

I definitely like your flow concept when it comes to HDD-mountings/bays/whatever you like to call them, but I don't think they'll aid cooling at all - conversely, I think the location of the HDDs in your first picture will impede airflow. The result will be that the HDDs get hotter than desired. Still, I really like your flow-concept... This case shouldn't have a solid side panel but one made from all-transparent lexan plastic.

If you still want to try this concept, I'd suggest you use bigger fans. Those you have in the first picture look like 60mm-ones, which generally, to be frank, suck. Squeezing 120mm-fans in there instead, together with an increase space between the "blades" that you place the HDDs on top of, would almost certainly increase cooling performance while the original design isn't lost.

Maybe you already received feedback on this matter. I was too lazy to read through the entire thread just to post my first, spontaneous opinion.

EDIT: Having more than 4 HDD-spots is wasted space according to me. Also, it just came to me that your flow design messes up the typical airflow of a computer chassis. I still like it though, it's like that strange thing with most Italian, beautiful cars - although they are hugely impractical and so on, one can't help choosing them over German or Japanese cars that lack personality... anybody with me still?

Permalänk
Medlem

I'm not sure exactly that they will impede the airflow that much if the chamber sizes don't bottleneck (reduce in size) too suddenly - Also to aid greater flow there will be a fan at the top of that system sucking out air and one at the bottom pushing it in. You also have to remember I suppose that the HDD's are sealed units. so you cannot directly cool the very small moving parts that fail in a HDD from heat damage by blowing air into them like you can with the CPU, GPU and PSU (I know they have no moving parts) - you have to blow air over the entire unit, transferring heat away from the unit. Because you can't address the problem directly you have to move the surrounding ambient hot air away from the unit the faster this happens the better higher rate of heat transference occurs and a high air pressure is one fairly effective way of doing this. Another thing is (correct me if im wrong) as far as I know HDD's just don't get THAT hot anymore.

Also to aid greater flow there will be a fan at the top of that system sucking out air and one at the bottom pushing it in. The other reason for the chambers is that the HDD's don't heat each other up, or the other components for that matter.

I hope this makes sense? can you provide specific feedback - it would be greatly apreciated

most fans will be 120mm - the fans in that image are a made up dimension

Thanks for commenting

Dan

Permalänk

Cooling HD isnt an issue anymore, most harddrives of today runs cool, even at very low airflow.

And with SSD coming, yeah you can guess the rest

Permalänk
Medlem

If i'm not wrong, the current HDD cooling will dampen some noise with help from the 90* turns the air has to take.

Visa signatur

Whales are nice!

Permalänk
Medlem

Hej hej,

Some more images - I wasn't going to put anymore online until further into the model making process, but I would like you guys to see the design process, how the design evolves so here are some test renders from my digital 3D models:

HDD block (flow chamber??) with a kind of skin to keep the channels airtight when the side door is off
>>Image removed<<

Permalänk
Medlem

HDD block with previously mentioned skin but this time transparent (plexiglass?)...I prefer this, I think the 'skin' part looks heavy, and changes the feel of the fins of the HDD block.

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk
Medlem

This is a test of materials, colors etc. I keep switching between anodizing and paint finishes. As always opinions would be appreciated...

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk
Medlem

This is one with a few minor variations in it - some are hard to spot but the main idea was to see what some light looking skeletal HDD holders would look like inside the chambers...

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk
Medlem

The above image also includes a logotype ( ©!) and some anodized water cooling fittings (because all case manufacturers seem to do is poke a hole in their cases and hope it's enough)

The next image is a test of the HDD chamber positions, looks a bit strange - binned that idea...

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk
Medlem

more recent rendering of the HDD area with 'hot swappable' HDD bays at the bottom, they open from the center opposite sides so you can whip them out by pressing the round button,the door opens and the HDD slides out in one action....(I hope)...

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk
Medlem

The hot swapping in action...kinda....

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk
Medlem

I can't see why you don't just cut out a hole in both side panels to show those blue tinted, transparend hdd bays. Both sides or none, to prevent that sudden feeling of geekines.

There's no air flow to keep, no cables to hide (almost). You'll just end up with less material cost (use cut out part for...feet?) and u get to show off the red parts which is the reason for the name "flow" as I understood.?

Btw, go for anodized, have and will always look and Feel better in my opinion.

Cheers

Edit: I request the last render with the awesome blue transparent bays.

Visa signatur

Whales are nice!

Permalänk
Medlem

I think you're wasting valuable fan space to cool harddrives, which do not need much cooling. Get air into the main compartment.

Permalänk
Medlem

Thanks Kyre - might render that later today and put it up - any other requests?

redkid thanks for the chance to explain this in detail - I think you're right I may be cooling the HDD's excessively, because when they get hot it doesn't immediately affect their performance as far as I'm aware. However there are the other reasons for cooling them this way and see if you or anyone think it makes sense:

HDD's do generate heat, and individually too - 1 or 2 no problem but 6 - 8 and it turns into a large heat source to affect the rest of the chassis temperature. the cool air that passes over them from fans usually on the front turns to warm (ish air) after dealing with the HDDS - which flows around the case in conventional cases - adding to the ambient heat, which heats up the other components. Separating them this way prevents that almost completely by exhausting any heat from them directly up and out of the case away from the Motherboard / GPU. the same principle is applied to the PSU also, but they tend to have internal fans, I am just separating the whole PSU unit from the MB.

Also your data is valuable (my whole portfolio is digital for example) and HDD's are mechanical, and anything mechanical will last a whole lot longer if the environment they've operated in their life span is not too hot (metal changes shape and fatigues when cools / heats repeatedly then parts fail).

Cooling in the main chamber will be more conventional, unless you use the liquid cooling sockets I'm putting in.

So basically this system manages hot air, as well as provides cool air - rather than just blasting away with lots of tiny fans that sound like a swarm of bees in a tin can...:)

Hope that makes sense?

Dan

Permalänk
Medlem

There is no doubt the HD's need cooling, but in most cases they tend to be very low on the priority list since all other items produce alot more heat. In the last rendering it seems like the HD's have 2 fans and the rest of the components have none? I'm guessing there is one intake on the case side, but it should have one fan to blow out the air aswell. Atleast.

I do really like the idea of the "channels" for the HD's, they look really great.

If one of the flowchannels doesnt contain a HD, that air is getting wasted?

I was thinking what would happen if you changed the channels to direct air to blow directly onto the motherboard area, but I think that would require some major redesign. Also it would remove the nice idea of having a separeate airflow system for the HD's.

Visa signatur
Permalänk
Medlem

I think it's really necessary to have an intake fan for the motherboard area. If you are pleased with the current design, why don't you just put one fan at the bottom of the chassis after the air channels. That fan will provide the other components with fresh air. Remember that it's better having many intake fans that outtake fans.

Visa signatur

Main Rig FD Define R4 |Intel C2Q Q9650@3.6GHz|Asus P5Q-E|OCZ Reaper 4GB@800MHz|WD6400AAKS|HD6850|Corsair HX650
HTPC HDPLEX H1.S |Intel Core i3 4330|ASRock Z87E-ITX|8GB|128GB mSATA
Work Dell Vostro 3360 |Intel Core i5-3317U|8GB|Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Permalänk
Medlem

Hey, yes I really should render the MB chamber because it's causing alot of confusion - Fans will be in there, and exactly where you said - right behind flow chamber also one next to serial ports. It's beginning to look like a very conventional chassis...like...deep breath.....a...a...BOX!

Linqon had a very good idea about re-directing some of the air from the HDD channels into the MB area, although that would make the flow chmaber idea less purist maybe it's a good creative comprimise...

Cheers guys

Dan

Permalänk
Medlem

don't forget to look at both pages in this post as there are images in p1 too and if you like my chassis you can vote here: http://www.webhallen.com/list_group.php?avd=3&group=1596 for it, or chassis design from the other students.

Cheers!

Dan

Permalänk
Medlem

Nowadays most gfx-cards are longer than the motherboard. With this chassi it would be impossible to use them.

Im thinking this case would be for the person who wants lots of HDDs but not so much GFX-power. Or you could remove some of the HDDs and fit in a longer GFX-card.

Visa signatur

//Bacon

Permalänk
Medlem

I intend this chassis to be used with the longest GFX cards available if needed by the user - I can extend the case it's just been stuck with those dimensions while I work out HDD area, then when that space is worked out entirely I will change proportions to work out MB area

Permalänk

Great design but it looks very big. It will be huge...?

I want something smaller, like a Antec Solo, not like the bigger P183...

Permalänk
Medlem

If you look at the space for the mobo, then you can see that this chassis wouldn't be taller than Solo because there is no spare space. But it will probably be very deep if it will be able to fit big GFX cards.

Visa signatur

Main Rig FD Define R4 |Intel C2Q Q9650@3.6GHz|Asus P5Q-E|OCZ Reaper 4GB@800MHz|WD6400AAKS|HD6850|Corsair HX650
HTPC HDPLEX H1.S |Intel Core i3 4330|ASRock Z87E-ITX|8GB|128GB mSATA
Work Dell Vostro 3360 |Intel Core i5-3317U|8GB|Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Permalänk
Medlem

It will be quite deep, and is looking a little funny now since I re-sized it and gave 400mm from serial cut outs to back of HDD section, to accommodate the longest GPU in my research which is 380mm. So it looks unusual proportionately but I guess this shows quite obviously that larger GPU's can be accommodated and gamers will make this association, if you look at a more evenly sized case it doesn't strike you and say 'this can fit any GPU I want'. Height-wise it's very reasonable, depth wise it's quite long but for a good reason so I think I'm happy with it. Plus I can fit in huge 180mm fans for the MB area this way.

At present it's 65cm deep, 50cm tall, 22 cm wide.

Permalänk
Medlem

Okay - bit of a change, one you guys might like: I have changed the bottom HDD chamber into a huge inlet for some equally huge fans that will bolt onto back of the HDD block, feeding air sucked in from the grill that will wrap right round the chassis, also air will come from the front bottom HDD fan through the chanel. The CPU and GPU could have between a 140mm-200mm fan each, or a combination of the sizes so the motherboard area now has a solid solution for cooling. current visuals still don't show much detail of MB area but have shown how the part of the grill is looking so you can see what I mean.

>>Image removed<<

Permalänk
Medlem

Hot swap bays will be in the channel above the MB cooling channel, so in total there will be 6 HDD slots.

Permalänk
Medlem

I like the shapes and colores used, quite different from mainstream chassis products and very appealing!

Any chance of doing a quick render of how the cooling ideas for the mainboard/cpu/graphics area look? Can't quite figure out how it's supposed to work from the thread.

Want to chime in on the part of the HDD cooling, you do need active cooling, but the performance requirements in my experience are fairly low, one 120mm fan (or even smaller) can fairly easily take care of 3HDDs at low to moderate speeds.

Also some info on the ideas for absorbing vibrations and sound would be good to know!

Keep up the good work!

Visa signatur

|[●▪▪●]| #Lekburk#: Ryzen 3700X >-< GB-X570-AE >-< 32GB DDR4 >-< MSI RTX 3070 >-< 970 EVO 1TB SSD>--
--< Arctic Freezer 34 >-< FD Define R4 >-< Seasonic F.+ 650W >-< Acer XF270HUA >-< AOC Q2778VQE >--
#Servering#: Ryzen 1700@3,6GHz >-< Prime X470 Pro >-< 16GB DDR4 >-< GTX 1030 >-< 970 EVO 500GB SSD >--
--< Stockkylare >-< Antec P182 >-< Silver Power 600W >-< Samsung 245T |[●▪▪●]|

Permalänk
Medlem

I need some enlightening on how the front fans push air into the case (or maybe I'm just being slow?)

And as mentioned by RHWarrior, I'd like to know how you are going to cope with vibrations.

It would be nice if you also could show the locations of fans and their respective outlets.

Last but not least, awesome case; really enjoying the visuals of it as it is (I'm thrilled seeing it with components).

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi - thanks for posting in my thread. I cant post images right now but to explain the parts you asked about:

The front fans: They push air through the channels that the HDD's sit in. Each channel is separate from the other and the air from this section is exhausted out the top follow the lines of the channel with your eye and they go up wards to top of case - hot air exits here. If you go to page one of this thread, you'll see the original idea and it is clearer I think in this image. hope that helps.

Cooling for motherboard area: Out of the channels for the HDD's, the one at the very bottom, has no HDD in it, it is reserved for the 'main chamber' or area-where-cpu-gpu-motherboard is. To explain how this works I need to finish an air-flow illustration I'm working on, but I'll try here - There will also be 2 180mm fans in the main chamber, they are situation on the right wall of the chamber which is the back of the HDD channel system (they are not in the posted renders - top secret stuff ) and they suck air from the bottom channel, which is the one with the holes in the side, this channel has the largest surface area as it wraps around the whole chassis so there is no bottle-neck effect on air coming in. The air from the main chamber will quite boringly just leave through a bunch of holes (or maybe I can make it evaporate with lasers??). it is also assisted by air blow through bottom channel by the front bottom fan.

PSU's tend to have their own built in fan system so all Im doing in that area is closing it off from main chamber to stop it affecting the ambient temp too much. The psu fans tend to suck in from bottom or top and blow out the back.

So to re-iterate: The air from the main chamber will blow from right to left/top, from 2 180mm fans, each covering a half of the MB. The air for these fans comes from directly behind them, where there will be a cut-away where air will travel from the bottom / back channel from the HDD system, and the air for this comes from all along the side of that particular channel (the only one that is vented along the sides, front and top of case).

At the moment we are all moving to the physical modeling phase so we probably wont be posting on here as much, the project ends soon (17th). Personally I am going to get the model out of the way as soon as possible because in my particular situation it will explain very little about my design - it's essentially a traditional chassis shape, however it's got to be done....

Permalänk

I wish you all the luck with the real build, sounds like lots of fun (and stress...)