Graphics Card related questions

Permalänk
Skrivet av grasfer:

Can i still do that if i broke the warranty screws?

Yes if nothing is damaged, you can still send it in for warranty service.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hey MSI.

Have you decided how to handle the 3.5GB issue with GTX970?

Visa signatur

Stationär: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI | G.Skill 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 Neo RGB | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 & Intel 660P 1TB M.2 | Corsair RM850x v2 White Series | Phanteks P500A D-RGB | Acer X34GS | Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent | Razer Deathadder v.2 | Logitech PRO X 7.1
Laptop: AMD Ryzen 7 6800HS | 16GB 4800MHz DDR5 | RTX 3060 140W | 15,6" 144Hz FHD IPS 16:9

Permalänk
Skrivet av Mocka:

Hey MSI.

Have you decided how to handle the 3.5GB issue with GTX970?

At this moment we can only refer to the information in the following articles:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Look...
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-speci...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting...

Permalänk
Medlem

I see.

As a 970 SLI user playing at 1440p I'm a bit concerned, that's why I'm asking.

Visa signatur

Stationär: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI | G.Skill 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 Neo RGB | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 & Intel 660P 1TB M.2 | Corsair RM850x v2 White Series | Phanteks P500A D-RGB | Acer X34GS | Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent | Razer Deathadder v.2 | Logitech PRO X 7.1
Laptop: AMD Ryzen 7 6800HS | 16GB 4800MHz DDR5 | RTX 3060 140W | 15,6" 144Hz FHD IPS 16:9

Permalänk
Medlem

Any update on this yet? I feel somewhat tricked by this. Bought my GTX 970 merely 3 weeks ago mainly to play in very high resolution games (2k and 4k).

Visa signatur

Ryzen 5 5600X - SCYTHE SCMG-5PCGH - TUF GAMING X570-PLUS - Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 4000MHz - Samsung 980 Pro NVME - Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3070 8GB EAGLE 2.0 - EVGA BQ 850W

Permalänk

My specs:
MSI Z97I ACK (mbot)
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB (gfx), purchased 28/11-14
EVGA SuperNova G2 750W (psu)

Hi!

I bought a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB from the swedish retailer "Alina" and recently started experiencing coilwhine when playing Dying Light. Also tried Heaven Benchmark and get the same results. Have a 144hz monitor and tried Heaven Benchmark in 1920x1080 on "High" with AA on "8x".

They actually told me that I should upgrade to a more expensive card (!) to avoid coilwhine but I am wondering if you will accept an RMA for the card if the coilwhine is in the card itself and not a combination of the card and my other hardware?

Best Regards

Visa signatur

i5 8600K / Asus ROG Z370-F Gaming / Asus GTX 1070 Ti ROG Strix / Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIe m.m.

Permalänk
Skrivet av TheSwede86:

My specs:
MSI Z97I ACK (mbot)

Hi!

I bought a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB from the swedish retailer "Alina" and recently started experiencing coilwhine when playing Dying Light. Also tried Heaven Benchmark and get the same results. Have a 144hz monitor and tried Heaven Benchmark in 1920x1080 on "High" with AA on "8x".

They actually told me that I should upgrade to a more expensive card (!) to avoid coilwhine but I am wondering if you will accept an RMA for the card if the coilwhine is in the card itself and not a combination of the card and my other hardware?

Best Regards

Coil whine is something that can happen with any switching power supply circuit at certain workloads. Basically the workload makes the coils resonate making the noise.
MSI already minimized the chances of coil whine by choosing higher-end components than the reference design.
Still external factors also play a role (PSU, motherboard and workload) as they all have influence on the power delivery to the graphics card.

Coilwhine is also a very subjective topic. Therefore we tell shops to judge it case by case and if the noise is really too much (=subjective as it depends on the observer) then just send it in for warranty repair/replacement (RMA).
Also different noise frequencies are experienced differently by each person.

In our office I have tested more than 30pcs GTX 970 GAMING 4G but none of the cards had extreme coil whine but all had a little coil whine if you listened closely in an open test system.
We also searched for workloads that triggered the most coil whine (e.g. Nvidia face render demo (loading screen)).

Sometimes the wrong coils are blamed for the noise.
We did notice that the coils in some power supply units also started whining when using the GTX 970 GAMING 4G at certain workloads (Unigine Heaven and Valley).
So it can also be a combination of the PSU, MB and Gfx card. Changing any of those components may change the coil whine.

Since I have only tested between 30-40pcs it is entirely possible that there are units out there that have unbearable coil whine.

Permalänk
Skrivet av TheSwede86:

My specs:
MSI Z97I ACK (mbot)

Hi!

Best Regards

Hi,

@Ruudt: Sorry for hijacking the thread a little bit but I noticed this post and thought I needed to have a closer look at the case.

@TheSwede86: I'll continue in english so everybody can follow. If you have issues with coil whine we are happy to take a look at it. Being recommended to upgrade due to coil whine is not something we as a company endorse so I am sorry for your experience. I would love to know more about this, so please send me an email at david@alina.se with your order details (receipt number/order number or similar) as well as a description of your troubles with the card and I'll pass it on to our support.

Best regards,
David – Alina

Permalänk

Hi MSI!

Ever since I bought my computer back in December 2013, including your GTX 770 Lightning, "all" (read games) graphic related things on my computer have been messed up quite a bit. Games that has been fixed for so many of my friends still crashes on me due to graphical issues. Games like BF4 is one and ACBF that bundled still crashes without any explanation... Recently I purchased CSGO to add to my library, but it seems like it also got added to my list of crashing games, sound loops and freezes for up to 2 minutes and then comes back. Console tells me about missing textures, colorcorrections, vGui material etc.

It ultimately feels that my card does not work properly, maybe you could have a saying in that, however I feel that this matter must be dealt with cause it is killing all the fun I get from gaming. What should I do?

Yours sincerely,
Hampus "Supertuba"

Visa signatur

| NZXT S340 Elite | i5 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | Vengeance LPX 16GB |
| ASUS 1070 @ 2.1Ghz | Z170 Pro Gaming | Samsung 850 pro 250GB |
| Western Digital Blue 1TB |

Permalänk
Skrivet av DavidJurio:

Hi,

@Ruudt: Sorry for hijacking the thread a little bit but I noticed this post and thought I needed to have a closer look at the case.

@TheSwede86: I'll continue in english so everybody can follow. If you have issues with coil whine we are happy to take a look at it. Being recommended to upgrade due to coil whine is not something we as a company endorse so I am sorry for your experience. I would love to know more about this, so please send me an email at david@alina.se with your order details (receipt number/order number or similar) as well as a description of your troubles with the card and I'll pass it on to our support.

Best regards,
David – Alina

Thanks David, excellent support.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Coil whine is something that can happen with any switching power supply circuit at certain workloads. Basically the workload makes the coils resonate making the noise.
MSI already minimized the chances of coil whine by choosing higher-end components than the reference design.
Still external factors also play a role (PSU, motherboard and workload) as they all have influence on the power delivery to the graphics card.
[...]

Thank you for your detailed reply. Good to see MSI representation in the forums.

Skrivet av DavidJurio:

[...]
I would love to know more about this, so please send me an email at david@alina.se with your order details (receipt number/order number or similar) as well as a description of your troubles with the card and I'll pass it on to our support.

Best regards,
David – Alina

Thank you as well, I have been in contact with you (Alina customer service, not you directly) in regards to this and also forwarded the email to you (specifically) for your reference.

Visa signatur

i5 8600K / Asus ROG Z370-F Gaming / Asus GTX 1070 Ti ROG Strix / Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIe m.m.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Supertuba:

Hi MSI!

Ever since I bought my computer back in December 2013, including your GTX 770 Lightning, "all" (read games) graphic related things on my computer have been messed up quite a bit. Games that has been fixed for so many of my friends still crashes on me due to graphical issues. Games like BF4 is one and ACBF that bundled still crashes without any explanation... Recently I purchased CSGO to add to my library, but it seems like it also got added to my list of crashing games, sound loops and freezes for up to 2 minutes and then comes back. Console tells me about missing textures, colorcorrections, vGui material etc.

It ultimately feels that my card does not work properly, maybe you could have a saying in that, however I feel that this matter must be dealt with cause it is killing all the fun I get from gaming. What should I do?

Yours sincerely,
Hampus "Supertuba"

Always make sure you use the latest nvidia drivers and latest game patches.

You can check the standard things first: to rule out if it is software or other components in your system, you could install the vga card in someone else's system and see if it stable (might need a friend's PC or take it to the shop).
Make sure that your power supply is up to the task.
Keep an eye on the GPU temperature when it crashes (you can use MSI afterburner).
Usually I test with Unigine Valley (freeware benchmark) to see if the system is stable:
https://unigine.com/products/valley/

If the issues is from the beginning then the card might be broken all that time.
If I were you I would contact the shop to see if you still have warranty.

If you would like tot try the latest vbios, just send me a PM with the serial number and I will give you a link to the latest vbios for your graphics card.
(I need the first part of the serial number, eg, 602-Vxxx-yyyy to determine the correct vbios version for the card).

Permalänk

Hello MSI

I managed to break a fan blade on my GTX 970 Gaming with the Twin Frozr V cooler.
It was not covered by warranty so the retailer (Inet) said he could give me a good price for an aftermarket cooler.

Is it possible to get a new "Twin Frozr V" cooler/fan to replace the broken one or maybe send it in for a repair at a cost?

And if its not will any of these coolers fit your 970 PCB:
http://www.inet.se/produkt/5322372/arctic-cooling-accelero-xt...
http://www.inet.se/produkt/5322375/arctic-cooling-accelero-tw...

Best Regards Viktor

Permalänk
Skrivet av emoviktor:

Hello MSI

I managed to break a fan blade on my GTX 970 Gaming with the Twin Frozr V cooler.
It was not covered by warranty so the retailer (Inet) said he could give me a good price for an aftermarket cooler.

Is it possible to get a new "Twin Frozr V" cooler/fan to replace the broken one or maybe send it in for a repair at a cost?

And if its not will any of these coolers fit your 970 PCB:
http://www.inet.se/produkt/5322372/arctic-cooling-accelero-xt...
http://www.inet.se/produkt/5322375/arctic-cooling-accelero-tw...

Best Regards Viktor

I am sorry to inform you that we don't sell the TwinFrozr coolers/fans separately ourselves.
There are some suppliers on Ebay or Aliexpress that offer a fan replacement, which might be the cheapest option.

for example this link (I searched on "MSI 95mm fan"):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=msi+780+fan&_from=R40%7C...

I think the Arctic aftermarket coolers are designed to fit on most cards and probably have some flexible way of mounting them but I don't have any information about their compatibility. To make sure you could ask Arctic about that.

Permalänk
Medlem

Problem with 3 monitor setup (MSI GTX960)

Hey @Ruudt

I recently helped a friend build a new computer, I also picked out the parts for said computer.
There is just one issue.
The computer will be used for playing onlinepoker with 3 monitors, and therefore we went with a MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Gaming 100ME, the problem is that the computer wont recognize any of the displays if we connect them to the 3 displayports (via a displayport to hdmi cable since the monitors only have hdmi in) but when we connect from the hdmi port on the gpu with an hdmi to hdmi cable we can get one of the monitors to work.

Windows 8.1 with all the latest updates (including all the most recent Nvidia-drivers)
The monitors are: Samsung 24" S24D590P PLS LED

Looking forward to your answer, just tell me if there is any other info you will need!
Thanks

/Nixxu

Permalänk
Skrivet av nixxu:

Hey @Ruudt

I recently helped a friend build a new computer, I also picked out the parts for said computer.
There is just one issue.
The computer will be used for playing onlinepoker with 3 monitors, and therefore we went with a MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Gaming 100ME, the problem is that the computer wont recognize any of the displays if we connect them to the 3 displayports (via a displayport to hdmi cable since the monitors only have hdmi in) but when we connect from the hdmi port on the gpu with an hdmi to hdmi cable we can get one of the monitors to work.

Windows 8.1 with all the latest updates (including all the most recent Nvidia-drivers)
The monitors are: Samsung 24" S24D590P PLS LED

Looking forward to your answer, just tell me if there is any other info you will need!
Thanks

/Nixxu

Hi Nixxu, sorry for the delay.

3 monitors should not be problem all GTX 900 series support up to 4 FHD monitors (or 3 UHD monitors).
The problems is most likely caused by the DP-to-HDMI adapters/cables.
Passive adapter/cables don't work, you need an active DP-to-HDMI adapter.

Something like this:
http://www.inet.se/produkt/8906419/accell-adapter-displayport...

Permalänk
Medlem

On my 980 gaming 4g only one fan spins correctly. the other one starts and stops a few times every minute or so.. this is at any temperature. What is the problem?

Visa signatur

#1: Z370N ITX | i7 8700k | GTX 1080 | 32GiB
#2: P8Z77-M pro | i7 3770k | GTX 1050ti | 16GiB

Server: Z370-G | i5 8600T | 64GiB | UnRAID 6.9.2 | 130TB
Smartphone: Samsung Z Flip 5 | Android 13 | Shure SE535

Permalänk
Skrivet av LudvigLindell:

On my 980 gaming 4g only one fan spins correctly. the other one starts and stops a few times every minute or so.. this is at any temperature. What is the problem?

The GTX 980 GAMING 4G has what we call "independent fan control".
What that means is that the first fan (closest to DP/HDMI ports) is monitoring the GPU temperature (if GPU goes above 60°C it will start and if it falls below 50°C it will stop).
The second fan is triggered by the power circuit temperature of the graphics card. So if the power circuit heats up the second fan will start spinning.

I have noticed the second fan can also spin in light load (like browsing or video playback). Even sometimes in idle.
Usually it spins so slowly that you won't hear it.

If you want to manually control the fans you can use the MSI fan control utility.

P.S., the second fan cannot be controlled by Afterburner (or other tools).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

P.S., the second fan cannot be controlled by Afterburner (or other tools).

But Im guessing the second fan kicks in relatively soon when gaming? Anyway. As long as the cooling/sound level is optimal, I guess the fans can start and stop whenever they want. :)Looking forward to pick up my purchase!

Edit: Is it the same for R9 390 cards?

Visa signatur

Asus TUF Gaming WiFi | Ryzen 5600X | 32 GB Ballistix| Vega 56 | Newton R2 650 W

Permalänk
Skrivet av holmberg:

But Im guessing the second fan kicks in relatively soon when gaming? Anyway. As long as the cooling/sound level is optimal, I guess the fans can start and stop whenever they want. :)Looking forward to pick up my purchase!

Edit: Is it the same for R9 390 cards?

The R9 390(X) doesn't have independent fan control but it has the ZeroFrozr feature (starting when above ~60°C and stopping when below ~50°C).
Only the GTX 980 GAMING 4G has ZeroFrozr AND independent fan control.
Other Gaming models like: GTX 980 Ti, GTX 970, R9 390(X), R9 380 and R7 370, only have the ZeroFrozr feature.

Permalänk
Medlem

@Ruudt

I have a question. I bought a MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G a few weeks ago. And since day one I had nothing but issues with it. I cannot run games or benchmarks or else it crashes within 60 min. Giving the normal nvlddmkm.sys issue. Sometimes I can run it slightly longer, the longest I was able was 1 hour and 55 min. (Far cry 4)
I spent several days checking for any other cause of error, testing my hardware and reinstalling windows several time to make sure nothing else caused it.
If i buy my old GTX 670 in, everything works fine. I actually ran games/benchmarks for over 24 hours without issue.
But as soon as I put the 980 Ti in, it started happening again.

My question is, is there something wrong the the GPU or is it just the drivers or ? I read a lot of people with the same issue with 980 Ti's on nvidias forum and such. Most people say its the drivers but as I can see, a lot of people play games without issue. Except I can't. I can't play games at all because no matter what I play it crashes in the middle of things.

Because I was sure I got a bad card, and i did a RMA to the store I bought it, and they tested it for 60min furmark and 60min heaven and claim its fine. Even though I specificly told them to test it for several hours. Since I have managed to run games up to 2 hours before it crash. So now I am getting the same card back. I can only hope something changed buy i doubt it will.

The only thing I left to try is in another computer, which I guess I will have to do.

Visa signatur

Maximus X Hero - 8700k @5.1GHz - H115i - 32GB LPX@3466MHz - MSI 980Ti Gaming - EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 - Asus vg248qe - FD R5

Permalänk
Skrivet av Elghinnarisa:

@Ruudt

I have a question. I bought a MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G a few weeks ago. And since day one I had nothing but issues with it. I cannot run games or benchmarks or else it crashes within 60 min. Giving the normal nvlddmkm.sys issue. Sometimes I can run it slightly longer, the longest I was able was 1 hour and 55 min. (Far cry 4)
I spent several days checking for any other cause of error, testing my hardware and reinstalling windows several time to make sure nothing else caused it.
If i buy my old GTX 670 in, everything works fine. I actually ran games/benchmarks for over 24 hours without issue.
But as soon as I put the 980 Ti in, it started happening again.

My question is, is there something wrong the the GPU or is it just the drivers or ? I read a lot of people with the same issue with 980 Ti's on nvidias forum and such. Most people say its the drivers but as I can see, a lot of people play games without issue. Except I can't. I can't play games at all because no matter what I play it crashes in the middle of things.

Because I was sure I got a bad card, and i did a RMA to the store I bought it, and they tested it for 60min furmark and 60min heaven and claim its fine. Even though I specificly told them to test it for several hours. Since I have managed to run games up to 2 hours before it crash. So now I am getting the same card back. I can only hope something changed buy i doubt it will.

The only thing I left to try is in another computer, which I guess I will have to do.

Sorry for the delay.
With a GTX 980 Ti power and cooling is important.
Temperatures can be easily monitored with software tools Afterburner, HWInfo64, HWMonitor etc.
I don't know what kind of of Power Supply Unit you might want to try a different PSU.
Nvidia recommends at least a 600Watt PSU.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Sorry for the delay.
With a GTX 980 Ti power and cooling is important.
Temperatures can be easily monitored with software tools Afterburner, HWInfo64, HWMonitor etc.
I don't know what kind of of Power Supply Unit you might want to try a different PSU.
Nvidia recommends at least a 600Watt PSU.

Issue has been resolved.

Tested in other computers, same issue happened.
Tested 2 different power supplies (EVGA supernova g2 750w and corsair TX 750w) still had the same issue.

Sent it back to the store, they apprently found no issues.
I got the card back, and now it works.

No idea how or why, but it has been working fine for almost a week now.

I can't make any sense of it all, afters it was tested in several machines with different hardware and different powersupplies aswell as 2 different power supplies for my system but now all of the sudden it works. I have no clue why and my friends can't figure it our either.

Only thing I can guess is somehow one of the power cables wasn't connected properly, no idea how that would manage to happen over 4 times though...

Visa signatur

Maximus X Hero - 8700k @5.1GHz - H115i - 32GB LPX@3466MHz - MSI 980Ti Gaming - EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 - Asus vg248qe - FD R5

Permalänk

Hi MSi
Need advice regarding my 1 year old 980 4g gaming card.
Ever since i bought the card I have been experiencing Coil Whine when FPS gets to certain levels at approx 250-300 FPS and above.
When for example running 3DMark benchmarking, in Icestorm, CLoud Gate I have really nisy coilwhine at approx 4000-5000 FPS, and in Sky Diver I can hear it aswell having approx 260-300 FPS. Is this normal ?

Think it might be normal in such high numbers as thousands of FPS, but coil whine already at approx 300 ????
Should I go for RMA?

Thanks
//Anders

Permalänk
Skrivet av EsoxLucius:

Hi MSi
Need advice regarding my 1 year old 980 4g gaming card.
Ever since i bought the card I have been experiencing Coil Whine when FPS gets to certain levels at approx 250-300 FPS and above.
When for example running 3DMark benchmarking, in Icestorm, CLoud Gate I have really nisy coilwhine at approx 4000-5000 FPS, and in Sky Diver I can hear it aswell having approx 260-300 FPS. Is this normal ?

Think it might be normal in such high numbers as thousands of FPS, but coil whine already at approx 300 ????
Should I go for RMA?

Thanks
//Anders

Coil whine is something that can happen with any switching power supply circuit at certain workloads.
Basically the workload makes the coils resonate making the noise.

Coilwhine is also a very subjective topic.
Therefore we tell shops to judge it case by case and if the noise is really too much (=subjective as it depends on the observer), then just send it in for warranty repair/replacement (RMA).
Also different noise frequencies are experienced differently by each person.

In our office I have tested more than 30pcs GTX 970 GAMING 4G and 15pcs GTX 980 GAMING 4G but none of the cards had extreme coil whine but all had a little coil whine if you listened closely in an open test system.
We also searched for workloads that triggered the most coil whine (e.g. Nvidia face render demo (loading screen)).

We did notice that the coils in some power supply units (PSU) also started whining when using the GTX 970 GAMING 4G at certain workloads (Unigine Heaven and Valley).
So it can also be a combination of the PSU, MB and Gfx card. Changing any of those components may change the coil whine.
Also two cards in SLI can sometimes worsen the noise.

Since I have only tested between 40-50pcs it is entirely possible that there are units out there that have unbearable coil whine but it's up to the shops to judge case-by-case.

Permalänk
Medlem

@Ruudt hey i have an idea!

What about making a sort of system where ppl could switch on/off for certain tdp/watt?

For example a card in the low or mid range that requires a 6pin.

what i mean is why not have a switch on the card itself that can allow the customer to switch between 2 modes
1:normal mode
2: within range of wattage that the motherboard can deliver? it means ofc that boost function and overclocking wont be possible and also it will bring down clocks to match the max wattage that the motherboard is capable of delivering. And thus there will be no need for a 6pin from the PSU. And also i think this will be greatly appreciated by large scale of the community because it gives the picopsu users, people with psu´s without the 6pin,people that wants to cut down wattage/heat(for example in minimalistic pc chassis) better options.

Sure performance will drop but its still a nice option for those that wants to choose.

Br chris

Permalänk
Skrivet av criscros:

@Ruudt hey i have an idea!

What about making a sort of system where ppl could switch on/off for certain tdp/watt?

For example a card in the low or mid range that requires a 6pin.

what i mean is why not have a switch on the card itself that can allow the customer to switch between 2 modes
1:normal mode
2: within range of wattage that the motherboard can deliver? it means ofc that boost function and overclocking wont be possible and also it will bring down clocks to match the max wattage that the motherboard is capable of delivering. And thus there will be no need for a 6pin from the PSU. And also i think this will be greatly appreciated by large scale of the community because it gives the picopsu users, people with psu´s without the 6pin,people that wants to cut down wattage/heat(for example in minimalistic pc chassis) better options.

Sure performance will drop but its still a nice option for those that wants to choose.

Br chris

Not to be rude but I don't see the point.
Why would you buy a high power gfx card only to cripple it by not giving it enough power?
It will probably run slower than a card that is designed for <75W.

There are plenty of cards that only need the power from the PCIe slot (=max 75W).
For example GTX 750 or R7 250 or lower.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Not to be rude but I don't see the point.
Why would you buy a high power gfx card only to cripple it by not giving it enough power?
It will probably run slower than a card that is designed for <75W.

There are plenty of cards that only need the power from the PCIe slot (=max 75W).
For example GTX 750 or R7 250 or lower.

because the performance diff would not be as great as you tell me. Not that i think of anyway.
And the idea was not to cripple the cards but to give the option, whenver the user would want to change back it would be just a switch away.

A "crippled" 950 would perform just a tad worse than itself and still be faster than a 750ti

also this idea was not meant for cards with more than one 6pin input since THAT would not make sense.

A gtx 950 could be without the 6pin by turning off the boost and undervolt it which in my opinion would be a great card without extra power supply BUT this is just my puny idea many would not like anyway.

And no harm done it was just an idea!

BR

Permalänk
Skrivet av criscros:

because the performance diff would not be as great as you tell me. Not that i think of anyway.
And the idea was not to cripple the cards but to give the option, whenver the user would want to change back it would be just a switch away.

A "crippled" 950 would perform just a tad worse than itself and still be faster than a 750ti

also this idea was not meant for cards with more than one 6pin input since THAT would not make sense.

A gtx 950 could be without the 6pin by turning off the boost and undervolt it which in my opinion would be a great card without extra power supply BUT this is just my puny idea many would not like anyway.

And no harm done it was just an idea!

BR

I can see the need for more graphics power on a power budget.
Especially with graphics cards, performance costs watts.

Another idea would be to use a mobile GPU (e.g. GTX 970M) on a PCIe add-on card.
Mobile GPUs usually have better efficiency but that will increase cost.
We have done that in the past.

I think the idea for more efficient/quiet gfx cards in a small form factor is not bad but it's probably a very limited market.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

I can see the need for more graphics power on a power budget.
Especially with graphics cards, performance costs watts.

Another idea would be to use a mobile GPU (e.g. GTX 970M) on a PCIe add-on card.
Mobile GPUs usually have better efficiency but that will increase cost.
We have done that in the past.
http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/msi-2/collage2-small.jpg

I think the idea for more efficient/quiet gfx cards in a small form factor is not bad but it's probably a very limited market.

thats a very good idea and should be done. im sure some would pay a bit more for a more efficient gpu in minimalistic size, lower heat dissipation/lower watts without the need for extra power supply demands