Graphics Card related questions

Permalänk

Hi MSI
Does your 980 gaming card have VRM sensors for extracting temp values?

Permalänk
Skrivet av Tesked:

Hello there! I've had a GTX 780 gaming now for 6 months, and 2 days ago when i played a game my computer makes the sound of a small exploision and the computer shuts down. I immediately pull out all of the connections to the computer and notice that my graphic card smells burned. I remove all the graphic card just to test that all other components in the computer is intact. And as lucky as i am, they are. It's just the graphic card that broke down (tried another graphic card and it worked fine)

Does this cover my warranty? Still got 2.5 years left on it. I've never had any problems before and it was no outage or thunderstorm or what so ever. And my graphic card has been running for like 68'C on full load, so no problem on the cooling either. I've heard that the has been previous problems with VRM-cooling on the 780 gaming cards, is that true?

It's hard to judge without seeing the product.
If you didn't do anything to cause a short-circuit it should not explode or whatever.

I would send it back to the shop for warranty service. The shop or MSI RMA will judge if it is in warranty or not (they will simply look at it to see if there is any user damage or not).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

It's hard to judge without seeing the product.
If you didn't do anything to cause a short-circuit it should not explode or whatever.

I would send it back to the shop for warranty service. The shop or MSI RMA will judge if it is in warranty or not (they will simply look at it to see if there is any user damage or not).

Ty for the reply. I've already contacted komplett.se, who replaced my card within the the warranty So problem solved!

Visa signatur

Qnix 2560x1440p @ 120hz - MSI GTX 980 Gaming - Intel i7-2600K @ 4.4GHZ
Fractal Design Define R3 - MSI Z68A-GD65 - Sennheiser 598 + Modmic

Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB - Intel SSD 330 180gb - 5TB HDD - Noctua NH-U14S - Corsair TX 850W

Citera för svar!

Permalänk
Skrivet av EsoxLucius:

Hi MSI
Does your 980 gaming card have VRM sensors for extracting temp values?

The GTX 980 GAMING 4G does have a VRM sensor for fan control but atm there is no way to get the value with standard utilities (like MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z, etc).

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello!

Do you on MSI have a fix for the flickering problems on MSI 280x Cards?

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi all @ MSI,

I have a pretty annoying problem that I really hope you can help me with.

I bought two MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G upon the release here in Sweden. When I installed them in my PC I ran a MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming motherboard and the UEFI (and GPU-Z) reports that one of the two 970s is only running the PCI-E bus speed @ x1 and not x8 as it should when two cards are installed.

I bought the new MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard just a couple of days ago and the problem still remains. I've updated the UEFI version to the latest release found on your support page for my motherboard (I updated the UEFI on my Z87 GD65 as well).

I also returned the "faulty" 970 to the store where I bought it (Inet) for them to have a look at it. Their tests shows that the card is running in x16 (single card test) so they could not find any errors.

Worth mentioning is that before my 970s I ran two MSI GTX 760 Gaming OC and they both ran in x8 bus speed just fine (on my Z87 GD65 Gaming).

You can find the rest of my components in my sign below.
Do you have any idea what's causing this? I think that I'm getting the performance I should. I get 23301 graphics score in 3DMark Fire Strike test and 4411p in Unigine Valley.

Visa signatur

| bequiet! Dark Base 900 | Corsair HX1000i Platinum | MSI Z370-GAMING M5 | i7 8086k @ 5000mhz | Custom EK-loop (GPU & CPU) | Corsair Veng. 32GB @ 3200mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB | Zotac RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Asus PG348Q @ 100hz |
http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/13-konsumentratt/562661-grat...

Permalänk
Skrivet av Bazisten:

Hello!

Do you on MSI have a fix for the flickering problems on MSI 280x Cards?

I have checked and there are known issue with certain vbioses and video playback.
Since we produce many cards with small differences the vbios differs as well, so not all models /vbioses are affected.

In order to give you the correct latest vbios for your card I need to know the first part of your garphics card (XXX-VYYYY-ZZZ), for example 602-V277-19S.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

I have checked and there are known issue with certain vbioses and video playback.
Since we produce many cards with small differences the vbios differs as well, so not all models /vbioses are affected.

In order to give you the correct latest vbios for your card I need to know the first part of your garphics card (XXX-VYYYY-ZZZ), for example 602-V277-19S.

THX for reply

Number: 912-V277-068

Permalänk
Medlem

Hey Ruudt.

Do you have any plans on adressing the idle fan problem?
When I'm idling in Windows my fan start spinning a little bit for a very short moment. This is not something I hear but I fear that it affects the lifespan of the fans. Or is this simply driver related?

Visa signatur

Stationär: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI | G.Skill 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 Neo RGB | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 & Intel 660P 1TB M.2 | Corsair RM850x v2 White Series | Phanteks P500A D-RGB | Acer X34GS | Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent | Razer Deathadder v.2 | Logitech PRO X 7.1
Laptop: AMD Ryzen 7 6800HS | 16GB 4800MHz DDR5 | RTX 3060 140W | 15,6" 144Hz FHD IPS 16:9

Permalänk
Skrivet av Bazisten:

THX for reply

Number: 912-V277-068

Sorry I didn't described it properly.
I should have said the first part of the serial number, i.e. 602-V277-yyy
(912-Vxxx-yyy is the retail SKU (card+packing+features), 602-Vvvv-www is the card SKU which determines which vbios you need)

Permalänk
Skrivet av =):

Hi all @ MSI,

I have a pretty annoying problem that I really hope you can help me with.

I bought two MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G upon the release here in Sweden. When I installed them in my PC I ran a MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming motherboard and the UEFI (and GPU-Z) reports that one of the two 970s is only running the PCI-E bus speed @ x1 and not x8 as it should when two cards are installed.

I bought the new MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard just a couple of days ago and the problem still remains. I've updated the UEFI version to the latest release found on your support page for my motherboard (I updated the UEFI on my Z87 GD65 as well).

I also returned the "faulty" 970 to the store where I bought it (Inet) for them to have a look at it. Their tests shows that the card is running in x16 (single card test) so they could not find any errors.

Worth mentioning is that before my 970s I ran two MSI GTX 760 Gaming OC and they both ran in x8 bus speed just fine (on my Z87 GD65 Gaming).

You can find the rest of my components in my sign below.
Do you have any idea what's causing this? I think that I'm getting the performance I should. I get 23301 graphics score in 3DMark Fire Strike test and 4411p in Unigine Valley.

With a single GFTX970 if you run GPU-Z in idle the bus speed should list as PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16 1.1, whihc means that the bus speed is lowered from Gen3 (8Gbps) to Gen1.1 (2.5Gbps)

If you run a 3D application it should switch to @x16 3.0.

In SLI the cards should still be listed as x8 (1.1 mode in idle or 3.0 mode during 3D)

What I have seen from reviews is that 2xGTX 970 in SLI should score 13K in Firestrike (Graphics score=16K)
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_revi...
So I don't know why you scored 23K (unless you did a massive overclock).

I have no reference for Valley scores in SLI (only score I have is Valley Extreme HD test 4294p for 2x GTX980 SLI)

You might want to update the motherboard's bios to v1.B if you haven't done so already.

If the problem persists could you post a screenshot of GPU-Z showing the PCI-E @ 1x?

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

With a single GFTX970 if you run GPU-Z in idle the bus speed should list as PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16 1.1, whihc means that the bus speed is lowered from Gen3 (8Gbps) to Gen1.1 (2.5Gbps)
http://faenl.msi.com/index.php?dir=Forum/&file=GTX970_GPU-Z_i...

If you run a 3D application it should switch to @x16 3.0.

In SLI the cards should still be listed as x8 (1.1 mode in idle or 3.0 mode during 3D)

What I have seen from reviews is that 2xGTX 970 in SLI should score 13K in Firestrike (Graphics score=16K)
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_revi...
So I don't know why you scored 23K (unless you did a massive overclock).

I have no reference for Valley scores in SLI (only score I have is Valley Extreme HD test 4294p for 2x GTX980 SLI)

You might want to update the motherboard's bios to v1.B if you haven't done so already.

If the problem persists could you post a screenshot of GPU-Z showing the PCI-E @ 1x?

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback and input!

In idle I can see the following in GPU-Z:

1st card: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x8 3.0 (it seems as it is always under load, i'm running a 144hz monitor)
2nd card: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x1 1.1 (under load PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x1 3.0) - as you can see the problem is not the version, it is the bus speed being x1 (the same can be read in UEFI using the board explorer

I am actually at work now so I cannot upload a screen shot of this, I will do so as soon as I can.

I am not running my Z87 GD65 anymore, I am running the MSI Z97 GAMING 7 motherboard and yes, I have flashed UEFI to the latest official version from your homepage.

I have overclocked both the GPUs, so I guess that's why I'm getting the higher score

Thank you!

Kind regards
Tobias

Visa signatur

| bequiet! Dark Base 900 | Corsair HX1000i Platinum | MSI Z370-GAMING M5 | i7 8086k @ 5000mhz | Custom EK-loop (GPU & CPU) | Corsair Veng. 32GB @ 3200mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB | Zotac RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Asus PG348Q @ 100hz |

Permalänk
Skrivet av =):

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback and input!

In idle I can see the following in GPU-Z:

1st card: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x8 3.0 (it seems as it is always under load, i'm running a 144hz monitor)
2nd card: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x1 1.1 (under load PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x1 3.0) - as you can see the problem is not the version, it is the bus speed being x1 (the same can be read in UEFI using the board explorer

I am actually at work now so I cannot upload a screen shot of this, I will do so as soon as I can.

I am not running my Z87 GD65 anymore, I am running the MSI Z97 GAMING 7 motherboard and yes, I have flashed UEFI to the latest official version from your homepage.

I have overclocked both the GPUs, so I guess that's why I'm getting the higher score

Thank you!

Kind regards
Tobias

Both Z87A-GD65 and Z97 GAMING 7 can switch lanes between the three PCI-Ex16 slots like this: 16,0,0 and 8,8,0 and 8, 4, 4.
(I assume you use PCI_E2 and PCI_E5 on the Z97 GMAING 7, that should result in 8x, 8x, 0)
x1 is not supposed to be possible.

And since you have already tried two motherboards it is most likely an issue with the graphics cards.
Software isn't the issue either since you already have the issue in the bios setup (board explorer).
Could you check if the PCI-E connectors on the graphics cards and motherboards aren't damaged or dirty.
What happens if you swap the cards between the slots.
Does the x1 config move to the other slot in the bios board explorer?

Another wild guess could be that something is shorting your PCI_E5 slot form the bottom (maybe a mounting standoff that is in wrong location).
You need to take out the motherboard from the case to check this.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Sorry I didn't described it properly.
I should have said the first part of the serial number, i.e. 602-V277-yyy
(912-Vxxx-yyy is the retail SKU (card+packing+features), 602-Vvvv-www is the card SKU which determines which vbios you need)

You have PM

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Both Z87A-GD65 and Z97 GAMING 7 can switch lanes between the three PCI-Ex16 slots like this: 16,0,0 and 8,8,0 and 8, 4, 4.
(I assume you use PCI_E2 and PCI_E5 on the Z97 GMAING 7, that should result in 8x, 8x, 0)
x1 is not supposed to be possible.

And since you have already tried two motherboards it is most likely an issue with the graphics cards.
Software isn't the issue either since you already have the issue in the bios setup (board explorer).
Could you check if the PCI-E connectors on the graphics cards and motherboards aren't damaged or dirty.
What happens if you swap the cards between the slots.
Does the x1 config move to the other slot in the bios board explorer?

Another wild guess could be that something is shorting your PCI_E5 slot form the bottom (maybe a mounting standoff that is in wrong location).
You need to take out the motherboard from the case to check this.

Hi,

This is how GPU-Z reads my cards:

And board explorer:

As you can see it's the second card only running at x1. And yes, if I switch PCI-E slots, the error moves to the other slot which is why I think that it is something wrong with the card itself. However, when Inet (the place I bought it at) took it in to search for errors, they read x16 (single setup).

Can my problem be related to the fact that I'm running SLI? Should I give both cards to Inet so they can try them both?

As the error moves to the other slot I don't think that I have something shortening the slot.

Thank you for the help so far!

Kind regards

Edit: added board explorer prints

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av =):

Hi,

This is how GPU-Z reads my cards:

1. http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/14/11/10/dry.png

2. http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/14/11/10/hw.png

And board explorer:
1. http://i.imgur.com/4pxQEl6.png

2. http://i.imgur.com/RuBN1gK.png

As you can see it's the second card only running at x1. And yes, if I switch PCI-E slots, the error moves to the other slot which is why I think that it is something wrong with the card itself. However, when Inet (the place I bought it at) took it in to search for errors, they read x16 (single setup).

Can my problem be related to the fact that I'm running SLI? Should I give both cards to Inet so they can try them both?

As the error moves to the other slot I don't think that I have something shortening the slot.

Thank you for the help so far!

Kind regards

Edit: added board explorer prints

If the problem moves with the graphics card then it's probably not the second PCIe slot or the motherboard.
What happens if you insert the possibly defective card alone in the motherboard? Then you can check if it only happens with SLI configs.
What happens if you don't connect the SLI bridge on top?

Permalänk
Skrivet av Mocka:

Hey Ruudt.

Do you have any plans on adressing the idle fan problem?
When I'm idling in Windows my fan start spinning a little bit for a very short moment. This is not something I hear but I fear that it affects the lifespan of the fans. Or is this simply driver related?

http://i.imgur.com/4BuM404.png

I have checked with our HQ and they are removing the repetitive Fan spin-up in idle from the vbioses.
All vbioses will be available through LiveUpdate soon. Atm GTX 980 vbioses should already be online through Live Update

If you can PM me the first part of the serial number, i.e. "602-V316-xxx" I can already sent you the new and corrected vbios.

Permalänk

Hello!

I recently bought a MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming from Inet and I have the dreaded "one fan at 100% and one at 0%" problem. There's a few threads about in on the MSI forums:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.0
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=184604.0

Do you have any more information on this or is the recommendation still to return it to the store?

Visa signatur

CPU: Intel i7-3930 Kylning: SilverStone Argon AR01 M/B: Asus Rampage IV Extreme RAM: 32GB GPU: MSI GeForce 970 PSU: Corsair HX650 Lagring: 256GB M550 | 1TB Samsung F1

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av TzarAlkex:

Hello!

I recently bought a MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming from Inet and I have the dreaded "one fan at 100% and one at 0%" problem. There's a few threads about in on the MSI forums:

Do you have any more information on this or is the recommendation still to return it to the store?

I had the same issue as well (on top of my x1 PCI-E bus error) but the fan has fixed it self
Try poking the fan that is standing still, it will speed up and then both fans will speed down to zero. Now you can set the fan speed manually to 100% in Afterburner. Leave it like that over night and the problem might fix it self. The fan sort of like needs to "burn in". Worked for me when Inet had my card for a couple of days and all they did was some stress tests...

Kind regards

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

If the problem moves with the graphics card then it's probably not the second PCIe slot or the motherboard.
What happens if you insert the possibly defective card alone in the motherboard? Then you can check if it only happens with SLI configs.

Well, I have not tried running the 'faulty' card as a single setup in my own computer, however Inet (place of purchase) only did single setup tests and they could see x16 in GPU-Z. I will test removing the SLI bridge and see if that changes anything.

Thanks.

Kind regards

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av TzarAlkex:

Hello!

The fans on GTX970 GAMING 4G should both spin simultaneously when the GPU temperature is hotter than 60°C and when the GPU temperature drops to 50°C or lower the fans stop spinning. That is normal behavior. (BTW the GTX 980 GAMING fans are controlled independently so one fan spinning on this model could be normal)

If one fan spins and one doesn't on GTX 970 GAMING 4G then the not-spinning fan is broken and you should return it to the shop for warranty service.
So far we have heard these complaints on a small number of cards. We also received a small amount of GTX970 GAMING 4G cards back from the market with fan issues
We suspect that on the first batch the "Warning sticker" on the fan might have some impact on the fan construction causing issues on fan1 (closest to the display connectors). To prevent this issue from happening again we have improved the stickers in the later productions.
If fan1 doesn't spin and GPU temperature goes over 60°C then fan2 will start spinnig at 100% RPM (only FAN1 RPM is feed backed an monitored by the fan control circuit).
We have also received a few cards with fan2 failing on GTX970 GAMING 4G which we are still investigating.

In the MSI Global forum (froum-en.msi.com) we have heard people reporting that if a fan doesn't spin it sometimes helps to give it a small push and run the fans manually at 100% (with MSI Afterburner) for a few hours.
MSI does not recommend this procedure. If a fan doesn't run by itself, it probably has a mechanical issue (too much friction to start) and this issue might come back in the long run.

Anyone who has fans that aren't running (while GPU temperature > 60°C) we (MSI) advise you to return the card to the shop for warranty service.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Hi again,

No luck - i tried removing the SLI bridge and the motherboard (UEFI) and GPU-Z still reads x1 bus speed).
Do you have any more ideas? Can I return the card to Inet (place of purchase) and relate to this thread?

I also had the fan issue relating to the sticker that came on top of the cards (first batch of cards) and I am worried that the issue will come back.
Is this enough (fan issue and x1 bus speed in SLI configs) to get my card replaced at Inet? I get the feeling that they are not willing to do so if they cannot replicate the problems...

Thank you!

Kind regards
Tobias

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av =):

Hi again,

No luck - i tried removing the SLI bridge and the motherboard (UEFI) and GPU-Z still reads x1 bus speed).
Do you have any more ideas? Can I return the card to Inet (place of purchase) and relate to this thread?

I also had the fan issue relating to the sticker that came on top of the cards (first batch of cards) and I am worried that the issue will come back.
Is this enough (fan issue and x1 bus speed in SLI configs) to get my card replaced at Inet? I get the feeling that they are not willing to do so if they cannot replicate the problems...

Thank you!

Kind regards
Tobias

Yes, the fan issue alone should be enough to get the card replaced. We don't want you to run into problems later on by a failing fan when the issue showed itself already in the beginning.

The PCIe x1 issue is probably a unique issue and is also enough reason to get the card replaced.

You can refer to this thread. If they have any questions, ask Inet to contact me (Ruudt from MSI in The Netherlands, they probably know where to reach me).

Permalänk
Skrivet av Ruudt:

I have checked with our HQ and they are removing the repetitive Fan spin-up in idle from the vbioses.
All vbioses will be available through LiveUpdate soon. Atm GTX 980 vbioses should already be online through Live Update

If you can PM me the first part of the serial number, i.e. "602-V316-xxx" I can already sent you the new and corrected vbios.

LiveUpdate is offering the vbioses for GTX980 and GTX970 GAMING 4G that removes the fan spin up every 35seconds in idle.

If you want to know how a vbios update works, I made a video about how to update the vbios using LiveUpdate6.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Yes, the fan issue alone should be enough to get the card replaced. We don't want you to run into problems later on by a failing fan when the issue showed itself already in the beginning.

The PCIe x1 issue is probably a unique issue and is also enough reason to get the card replaced.

You can refer to this thread. If they have any questions, ask Inet to contact me (Ruudt from MSI in The Netherlands, they probably know where to reach me).

Thank you very much Ruudt!
I just spoke to Inet and they (of course) needs to confirm this with MSI before granting me the replace card.

Are you able to create a RMA number/case number now to speed the process up for me? I will give Inet my faulty card tomorrow and was hoping that I could provide them with a RMA number/case number from MSI at the same time. If so, please PM me the number.

Thanks!

Kind regards
Tobias

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Hi again,

I brought my card to Inet and related to this thread. They replaced my card straight away, so I'll be picking up my new card this Monday.
Thank you very much for your help! I will let you know the outcome.

Have a great weekend!

Kind regards
/ Tobias

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Hi!

I actually got my new card this Friday and everything is working great now! Both cards are running in 8x and I have no problem what so ever with the fans. I even got a higher score in 3dmark - 24600 in Graphic Score

Thank you very much for your help and input Ruudt!

Kind regards
Tobias /

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello,
is it possible to get new fans for my 'MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB OC TwinFrozr Gaming', bought 2013-12-09 from Inet ?
One of the fans is rattling and making noice, but i rather replace both at the same time.

Can't find a port to lube it up either and dont feel like drilling into it (unless i have to).

// Martin

Visa signatur

Citera för svar
"He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do." - Max Payne

Permalänk
Skrivet av grasfer:

Hello,
is it possible to get new fans for my 'MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB OC TwinFrozr Gaming', bought 2013-12-09 from Inet ?
One of the fans is rattling and making noice, but i rather replace both at the same time.

Can't find a port to lube it up either and dont feel like drilling into it (unless i have to).

// Martin

In order to get your fans replaced the card needs to be returned to Inet for warranty service.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

In order to get your fans replaced the card needs to be returned to Inet for warranty service.

Can i still do that if i broke the warranty screws?

Visa signatur

Citera för svar
"He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do." - Max Payne