Motherboard related questions

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello MSI,

Im quite sure I've bricked my motherboard but I'll post here to see if you have any other tips or what my next step should be.

I tried to update my BIOS from version 1.J (I think) to 4.3 to get my new r9 280x to work. I used an USB stick with the exe file from MSIs website. Everything seemed to be working until the second reboot. Now it just tries to restart. All the lights turns on and the fans starts to spin and after a second it shuts down. It just repeats that until I turn off the PSU. I have removed all the parts I don't need this is whats in it right now:

Board: MSI p67a-GD55
Bios: Version 1.J(?) ---> 4.3
DVI: XFX 6950 2GB Dual Fan
PSU: Corsair CX500M
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
MEM: 1x Kingston 2GB DDR3 KVR13333D3N9K2/4G
HDD: Corsair 120gb SSD
OC: No

I downloaded the latest bios wich was an .exe file from the download page for my motherboard. Formated the USB (3.0 8gb) like the instruction said and then ran it from windows. Followed the instructions it gave me and here I am. I have done a CMOS reset from the button, still not booting.

Thanks in advance!

Permalänk
Skrivet av Crozz:

Hello MSI,

Im quite sure I've bricked my motherboard but I'll post here to see if you have any other tips or what my next step should be.

I tried to update my BIOS from version 1.J (I think) to 4.3 to get my new r9 280x to work. I used an USB stick with the exe file from MSIs website. Everything seemed to be working until the second reboot. Now it just tries to restart. All the lights turns on and the fans starts to spin and after a second it shuts down. It just repeats that until I turn off the PSU. I have removed all the parts I don't need this is whats in it right now:

Board: MSI p67a-GD55
Bios: Version 1.J(?) ---> 4.3
DVI: XFX 6950 2GB Dual Fan
PSU: Corsair CX500M
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
MEM: 1x Kingston 2GB DDR3 KVR13333D3N9K2/4G
HDD: Corsair 120gb SSD
OC: No

I downloaded the latest bios wich was an .exe file from the download page for my motherboard. Formated the USB (3.0 8gb) like the instruction said and then ran it from windows. Followed the instructions it gave me and here I am. I have done a CMOS reset from the button, still not booting.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Crozz,

this looks like a failed bios update. If a CMOS reset did not help then the bios is corrupt.
The only way to fix this, is to return the mainboard for service or have it replaced if the board is within warranty.
I recommend you contact your supplier to check which options you have.

Permalänk

Hello MSI.

Last week my usb headset broke and it was beyond repairing, so i got a pair of sennheiser pc360. The sound was great in spotify and everything, but voices sounded like they talked into a can and i looked up about the integrated soundcard and everyone says its horrible, so i ordered a asus xonar DX card. The sound is amazing beside then im in games, my friends gets a horrible buzzing sound then im speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0zuD0c0SRQ
that is how it sounds like.

I have tried to find out a way to fix this, read how other people fixed this etc but nothing of it worked. The thing most people got it to work was by moving slots so soundcard is as far away from the gpu as possible, they said the gpu send out like a soundwave that intefered with the card. But i think this is a wierd thing and i think its more about the IRQ port, that then they are close by they use the same IRQ port and the soundcard have the lowest priority so gpu gets before it and after that the sound you recieve and after the sound you send.
I have tried with reinstalling drivers.
installed unofficial drivers.
moved places on the cards.
deactivate onboard soundcard.
update bios.
Nothing works.

But then i look in IRQ list i see that i have so many things on the port 16.

I think this might be the problem. So im wondering if all the pcie ports merges together on my motherboard?
If it does, how do the PCI slots works, wondering if i can switch my pcie soundcard out for a pci card.

This is my rig.
i5 2500k
msi p67a gd55 b3 with latest bios.
8 GB g.skill ripjaws x 2133MHz.
Nvidia gtx560ti (this one actually kinda broke so i need to buy a new one and thinking about buying a amd 280.)
psu is Fractal design Newton R3 800W

Im now wondering if you might have another test i can do to see if i can get it to work,
How the pcie ports works who are linked together or if i can change the IRQ ports for some hardware somehow?
Or will a pci slot work or are they linked together to?

Permalänk
Skrivet av Sockervadd:

Hello MSI.

Last week my usb headset broke and it was beyond repairing, so i got a pair of sennheiser pc360. The sound was great in spotify and everything, but voices sounded like they talked into a can and i looked up about the integrated soundcard and everyone says its horrible, so i ordered a asus xonar DX card. The sound is amazing beside then im in games, my friends gets a horrible buzzing sound then im speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0zuD0c0SRQ
that is how it sounds like.

I have tried to find out a way to fix this, read how other people fixed this etc but nothing of it worked. The thing most people got it to work was by moving slots so soundcard is as far away from the gpu as possible, they said the gpu send out like a soundwave that intefered with the card. But i think this is a wierd thing and i think its more about the IRQ port, that then they are close by they use the same IRQ port and the soundcard have the lowest priority so gpu gets before it and after that the sound you recieve and after the sound you send.
I have tried with reinstalling drivers.
installed unofficial drivers.
moved places on the cards.
deactivate onboard soundcard.
update bios.
Nothing works.

But then i look in IRQ list i see that i have so many things on the port 16.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13092928/IRQ.jpg

I think this might be the problem. So im wondering if all the pcie ports merges together on my motherboard?
If it does, how do the PCI slots works, wondering if i can switch my pcie soundcard out for a pci card.

This is my rig.
i5 2500k
msi p67a gd55 b3 with latest bios.
8 GB g.skill ripjaws x 2133MHz.
Nvidia gtx560ti (this one actually kinda broke so i need to buy a new one and thinking about buying a amd 280.)
psu is Fractal design Newton R3 800W

Im now wondering if you might have another test i can do to see if i can get it to work,
How the pcie ports works who are linked together or if i can change the IRQ ports for some hardware somehow?
Or will a pci slot work or are they linked together to?

IRQ sharing shouldn't be the issue as this is just an interrupt signal and IRQ sharing is supported since Windows XP.
More likely is that interference is the issue here. If this happens on both the PCI bus and HDA bus this most likely caused by an external source.
In this stage it's wise to check if the headset functioning properly on a different system so you know you have a functional headset. Also checking if MIC problems are common on this headset is never a bad idea.
From there you can start excluding possible sources as the power supply, USB devices, etc.
In some situations disabling CPU power features helps. You can find these options (C1E and C-states) in the Overclocking->CPU Features menu of the bios.

Permalänk

I got a new graphiccard today and the soundcard and graphiccard got different irq numbers now and like 95% of the buzzing is gone now...

Permalänk
Skrivet av Sockervadd:

I got a new graphiccard today and the soundcard and graphiccard got different irq numbers now and like 95% of the buzzing is gone now...

Then it appears the broken GTX560Ti was the cause of the problem.
Good to see you solved the problem.

Permalänk
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

Then it appears the broken GTX560Ti was the cause of the problem.
Good to see you solved the problem.

ITs not 100% gone, but 90% of the problem is gone. IT seems like it depends on the fps i have to. If i start a game with super high like quake it sounds horrible. But if i start a game with 30 it isnt as bad. But the buzzing noise DB have gone down with like 90%. But its nothing other people hear that good anymore, before it was almost louder then my voice.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Sockervadd:

ITs not 100% gone, but 90% of the problem is gone. IT seems like it depends on the fps i have to. If i start a game with super high like quake it sounds horrible. But if i start a game with 30 it isnt as bad. But the buzzing noise DB have gone down with like 90%. But its nothing other people hear that good anymore, before it was almost louder then my voice.

This could be caused by the CPU power states. Did you try to disable them in the bios?

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello! i just wondering if you have seen this problem before.

Visa signatur

*Define S Black *MSI X99S SLI PLUS *i7-5960X *Corsair 1000W *Ripjaws 32GB 3000MHz *GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming *Kingston 240gb SSD *Crucial 1TB SSD *Asus ROG SWIFT *Custom vatten loop

Permalänk
Skrivet av HampZZ:

Hello! i just wondering if you have seen this problem before.

Which MSI hardware are you referring to?

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

Which MSI hardware are you referring to?

Msi99x sli plus
Can't get sli to work.

Visa signatur

*Define S Black *MSI X99S SLI PLUS *i7-5960X *Corsair 1000W *Ripjaws 32GB 3000MHz *GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming *Kingston 240gb SSD *Crucial 1TB SSD *Asus ROG SWIFT *Custom vatten loop

Permalänk
Skrivet av HampZZ:

Msi99x sli plus
Can't get sli to work.

The latest beta bios (1.34) has a fix for the Titan card. You can request the beta bios on the MSI Forum

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

The latest beta bios (1.34) has a fix for the Titan card. You can request the beta bios on the MSI Forum

OK. Have a finished USB whit the new bios. But now I can't even entry bios when startup. Won't let me use the keyboard before Windows starts:S

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

just keep getting the missing file msg for ME.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem

MSI Z77A GD55

MSI Z77A GD55 dead on boot. CMOS reset doesn't help. Don't have the original boxing either :/
Anyways You can help me?

Visa signatur

Chassis: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU-cooling: NH-D14 with Arctic MX-6 paste CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite MEMORY: 2x KF3600C16D4/16GX
GFX: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC 12GB
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 750W
HDD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
MONITOR: Acer predator XB273U

Permalänk
Skrivet av HampZZ:

just keep getting the missing file msg for ME.

If you encounter issues with the forum flasher from the MSI global forum better check with administrator Svet, he made the forum flasher tool.

Another way to flash is M-Flash but you need to be able to enter the bios setup. In order to enter the bios setup you can press the clear CMOS button on the back.

Then you should be able to enter the bios setup.

Download the E7885IMS.134 bios from MSI Forum and put on a generic USB stick (FAT or NTFS formatted).
Go into bios setup to M-Flash, point to file and update.

Permalänk
Skrivet av ch1llone:

MSI Z77A GD55 dead on boot. CMOS reset doesn't help. Don't have the original boxing either :/
Anyways You can help me?

Try too boot as cleanly as possible and go from there if it boots.
Only boot the following: PSU, MB, CPU, Memory, Monitor, Keyboard. (disconnect all SATA USB connections, remove all unnecessary cards etc.)

Did you do anything out of the ordinary since the last time you ran the system (bios updates, virus removal or others)?

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Try too boot as cleanly as possible and go from there if it boots.
Only boot the following: PSU, MB, CPU, Memory, Monitor, Keyboard. (disconnect all SATA USB connections, remove all unnecessary cards etc.)

Did you do anything out of the ordinary since the last time you ran the system (bios updates, virus removal or others)?

Yes I tried to flash the mobo. It was succesfull but it does not work anyway.
I tried everything from changing to diff memories to flashing with "AMIBOOT.ROM".
I tried every thing there is. Of course CMOS. It does not post to BIOS, looks on "entering setup".
A0 or A2 is the error code in the right area of the screen.

Tried without SSD...

I guess I need a new bios? Is there anyway I can get a new bios to this motherboard?

Visa signatur

Chassis: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU-cooling: NH-D14 with Arctic MX-6 paste CPU: Ryzen 5 3600XT MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite MEMORY: 2x KF3600C16D4/16GX
GFX: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC 12GB
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 750W
HDD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
MONITOR: Acer predator XB273U

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi MSI!

I'll get straight to it i guess. I recently bought a MSI Z97 MPower motherboard and everything is working great, really happy with it so far
All except i can't seem to find adequate options for controlling my fans in MSI Command Center..
I can control the CPU fans all the way down to 25%(even though i would like to go even lower), and then i have a couple of radiator fans that gets really noisy at higher RPM's but those i can't set to any lower than 50% when connected to SYSFAN3? Even trying to use Speedfan it doesn't recognize any controlchip for the fans(Meaning, it doesn't show any fans at all)
I havn't gone through the options too much yet TBH, but i'm hoping to get some help here so i don't have to sit next to a hurricane

Best regards

Visa signatur

Lian Li O11D Evo | Full custom loop | 6900XT Red Devil Ultimate | Ryzen 5800x3d | MSI B550 Mortar | G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz CL16 32g | LG 32GP850-B | Topping DX3Pro+ | Sivga SV021| Logitech G Pro X Superlight| Akkogear 3084B Jelly Black

Permalänk
Skrivet av ch1llone:

Yes I tried to flash the mobo. It was succesfull but it does not work anyway.
I tried everything from changing to diff memories to flashing with "AMIBOOT.ROM".
I tried every thing there is. Of course CMOS. It does not post to BIOS, looks on "entering setup".
A0 or A2 is the error code in the right area of the screen.

Tried without SSD...

I guess I need a new bios? Is there anyway I can get a new bios to this motherboard?

Maybe you can contact Inet to recover the bios for you (they should have tools to recover bioses).

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello MSI!

I just bought your new X99 motherboard Gaming 9 AC and a 2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G that I gonna put in SLI.

My question is:

Does it matter which pci express slot I put my GPU in? Cause I am using a Noctua U14S that blocks the first PCIE-port, will it work if I use the other ports and will I take an performance hit for my two graficcards? I am also using a Intel 5820K CPU with only 28 PCIE-lanes.

I also heard that on some motherboard you can change the primary PCI-E port, I dont know if MSI support that for this motherboard though.

Visa signatur

Samsung Odyssey G9 240Hz HDR1000 5120x1440 9900K 5,3GHz 1,335v adaptive Asus Z390-I
Asus RTX 2070 Dual EVO Advanced 8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB B-Die 3200MHz CL16 2x16GB Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W 2 x Dell U2715H Corsair K65 Speed SteelSeries Rival 500 Bose Companion 5
Secretlab TITAN 2020 SoftWeave Corsair H100i RGB Platinum Noctua NF-A12x25 x 4 PnP Neo G Mini GB4: 6869 CB15: 233

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av muSashi:

Hello MSI!

I just bought your new X99 motherboard Gaming 9 AC and a 2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G that I gonna put in SLI.

My question is:

Does it matter which pci express slot I put my GPU in? Cause I am using a Noctua U14S that blocks the first PCIE-port, will it work if I use the other ports and will I take an performance hit for my two graficcards? I am also using a Intel 5820K CPU with only 28 PCIE-lanes.

Yes it matters. Just look in manual.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

If you encounter issues with the forum flasher from the MSI global forum better check with administrator Svet, he made the forum flasher tool.

Another way to flash is M-Flash but you need to be able to enter the bios setup. In order to enter the bios setup you can press the clear CMOS button on the back.

Then you should be able to enter the bios setup.

Download the E7885IMS.134 bios from MSI Forum and put on a generic USB stick (FAT or NTFS formatted).
Go into bios setup to M-Flash, point to file and update.

HI. Sorry didn't se this post.
I change to 134 bios but didn't work either. I'll changed the board. Hope gigabyte gonna work.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem

I have send a PM to MSI_Jing somone know when he comes online here again?

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av HampZZ:

Yes it matters. Just look in manual.

So will I be able to run the graficcards in SLI or not? It didnt say it matters in the manual only that they recommend to use the first PCIE-port cause it was x16. But it also says in the manual that all PCIE-ports on the motherboard is x16.

Visa signatur

Samsung Odyssey G9 240Hz HDR1000 5120x1440 9900K 5,3GHz 1,335v adaptive Asus Z390-I
Asus RTX 2070 Dual EVO Advanced 8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB B-Die 3200MHz CL16 2x16GB Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W 2 x Dell U2715H Corsair K65 Speed SteelSeries Rival 500 Bose Companion 5
Secretlab TITAN 2020 SoftWeave Corsair H100i RGB Platinum Noctua NF-A12x25 x 4 PnP Neo G Mini GB4: 6869 CB15: 233

Permalänk
Skrivet av muSashi:

So will I be able to run the graficcards in SLI or not? It didnt say it matters in the manual only that they recommend to use the first PCIE-port cause it was x16. But it also says in the manual that all PCIE-ports on the motherboard is x16.

With MSI X99 motherboards all PCIe x16 slots are connected to the PCIe controller of the CPU, so they are all Gen3.

I got an extended table of the PCIe lane possibilities (I don't know if all possibilities are listed but I hope this helps):

In order to activate SLI you need to have at least an x8 connection. So slot PCI_E5 will not be enough for SLI on i7-5820K.

Basically our manual assumes that users will put the first graphics card in PCI_E1 slot but you can also use the PCI_E2 (x8) and PCI_E4 (x8) combination for 2-way SLI. Or PCI_E3 (x8) and PCI_E4 (x8). (with i7-5930K or i7-5960X you can also use PCI-E5)
Basically the 16 lanes of PCI_E1 slot will be halved when you insert a card in PCI-E3 or PCI_E4.

Permalänk

Here are the extended PCIe lane tables for ohter X99 motherboards.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

According to linustech you will only get x8 on both cards in SLI when using a 5820K. I thought it should be x16 for the first card and x8 on the second one?

You can see it here on his youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6...

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av muSashi:

According to linustech you will only get x8 on both cards in SLI when using a 5820K. I thought it should be x16 for the first card and x8 on the second one?

You can see it here on his youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA&list=UUXuqSBlHAE6...

An i7-5820K has 28lanes (Gen3) which can split to:
16x, 8x, 4x
8x, 8x, 8x ,4x
SO 16x, 8x SLI is still possible with i7-58320k (BTW Linustechtips showed that performance difference between x8 and x16 is minimal)

In a X99S GAMING 9 if you insert a card in PCI_E2 or PCI_E3 slot the first first 16 lanes are split (to 8x,8x) and the second situation is created.
PCI_E4 is always 8x and doesn't share its lanes with any device.
PCI-E5 is either 4x or 0x. If no card is placed in PCI-E5 the 4x lanes go to M.2

Permalänk

Hello Msi!

When will Z97x sli krait (black and white) motherboard arrive at the Swedish market?
Is there a release date?