Motherboard related questions

Permalänk
Skrivet av TimMy2003:

Hello Msi!

When will Z97x sli krait (black and white) motherboard arrive at the Swedish market?
Is there a release date?

Hi Tim,

the Z97S SLI Krait Edition will be in the shops around the middle of November.

Regards,
Marc

Permalänk
Medlem

HI MSI!
I have a question about an old Motherboard.
I have a MSI BIG BANG XPOWER X58. I want to know which XEON cpu is supported with this motherboard Besides W3520.

Visa signatur

Main | Fractal Design R4 | Asrock B550 | AMD 5600X | 32Gb | RTX 2080Ti | Corsair RM1000
Hosting Server | Asrock B550 | AMD 5700G | 64Gb | SSD: ioDrive 2

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Dannnw:

HI MSI!
I have a MSI BIG BANG XPOWER X58. I want to know which XEON cpu is supported with this motherboard Besides W3520.

http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Big_BangXPower.html#support-cpu

Permalänk
Skrivet av Dannnw:

HI MSI!

The Xeon W3520 was the only one that was tested by MSI, so that's the only one we know for sure.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi.

I have a question regarding voltages settings on a z77ia-S01 motherboard.

I've been trying to find any info on where I can find these settings, otherwise my overclock is very limited.

I've even consulted the manual but it doesn't say anything.

Is this motherboard not oc compatible?

I've tried to overclock with both click bios 2 in windows and control center but the overclock isn't engaging. The only way is to overclock in bios but I can only do 4.2 ghz on what it seems to be on auto voltages

Regards

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Visa signatur

i7 6700k AMD RX 5600XT

Permalänk
Skrivet av Razer_08:

Hi.

I have a question regarding voltages settings on a z77ia-S01 motherboard.

I've been trying to find any info on where I can find these settings, otherwise my overclock is very limited.

I've even consulted the manual but it doesn't say anything.

Is this motherboard not oc compatible?

I've tried to overclock with both click bios 2 in windows and control center but the overclock isn't engaging. The only way is to overclock in bios but I can only do 4.2 ghz on what it seems to be on auto voltages

Regards

Yes, this is a know limitation on Z77 ITX motherboards.
The space for the power circuit is limited which results in only a slight overclock possible (e.g. 4.2GHz on i7-4770K).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Yes, this is a know limitation on Z77 ITX motherboards.
The space for the power circuit is limited which results in only a slight overclock possible (e.g. 4.2GHz on i7-4770K).

Does every m-itx motherboards msi makes have this?

Why does it have it btw?

Visa signatur

i7 6700k AMD RX 5600XT

Permalänk
Medlem

it appears certain motherboards has conflict with nvidia drivers when you have gtx 900 series.
this is my 3rd gtx 970 replacement card. please note that ive returned the cards and bought different brands, 1sst was msi, 2nd was evga and the current one is asus 970
all those 3 cards ends up with my monitor losing signal after windows logo. when i use my old card 570 it works just fine again. so i highly doubt its bad pci express slot. since when i use gtx 970 and uninstall nvidia driver i can actually go to my desktop and using data device, it does recognize and list my gtx 970 as installed.
my psu is 750watt and brand new at that.
my motherboard is MSI ZH77A-G41 and ive already created support ticket at your website but your support response time are extremely slow which is why im here as a last resort to get this under investigation.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Razer_08:

Does every m-itx motherboards msi makes have this?

Why does it have it btw?

Only the "classic" mini ITX boards have a limited power circuitry.
The Z77IA-S01 (based on Z77IA-E51) is a classic model.
With the Z87I GAMING model we improved the power circuitry (Same applies for Z97I GAMING).
Small and powerful power delivery circuits are expensive so we only put them on the GAMING ITX models.
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z87i_gaming_itx_motherboard_review/3

Permalänk
Skrivet av maidos:

it appears certain motherboards has conflict with nvidia drivers when you have gtx 900 series.
this is my 3rd gtx 970 replacement card. please note that ive returned the cards and bought different brands, 1sst was msi, 2nd was evga and the current one is asus 970
all those 3 cards ends up with my monitor losing signal after windows logo. when i use my old card 570 it works just fine again. so i highly doubt its bad pci express slot. since when i use gtx 970 and uninstall nvidia driver i can actually go to my desktop and using data device, it does recognize and list my gtx 970 as installed.
my psu is 750watt and brand new at that.
my motherboard is MSI ZH77A-G41 and ive already created support ticket at your website but your support response time are extremely slow which is why im here as a last resort to get this under investigation.

Maybe I am stating the obvious but have you updated the motherboard bios to v1A0 and installed the latest Nvidia driver (nv344.24):
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/ZH77AG41.html#down-bios
Can you boot to safe mode?
Are there any error messages in eventvwr?

Maybe you can also try another display since this seems to be related when the driver is/becomes active.

Permalänk
Medlem

using latest bios and latest nvidia driver and i can boot ro safe mode. like i mentioned monitor only loses signal after windows splash. thats when it should activate nvidia drivers.

how do i access eventvwr?
ive tried different monitors still the same thing.
it could be issue with motherboard incompatibility with nvidia drver? can you investigate

Permalänk
Skrivet av maidos:

using latest bios and latest nvidia driver and i can boot ro safe mode. like i mentioned monitor only loses signal after windows splash. thats when it should activate nvidia drivers.

how do i access eventvwr?
ive tried different monitors still the same thing.
it could be issue with motherboard incompatibility with nvidia drver? can you investigate

To access eventvwr press Windows+R, type evenvwr [Enter]
Did you try another monitor.

I don't have ZH77A-G41 in the office atm so I cannot test it myself. (I will check if HQ can test this).

The Nvidia driver doesn't do much with the motherboard.
All MSI motherboards are tested with multiple Nvidia (and AMD) graphics cards and drivers, so the chance that the motherboard is incompatible with the Nvidia driver is very small.
But then again this motherboard is much older than the GTX970 so these products have not yet been tested together by MSI.

This week Nvidia launched another driver update (also for GTX 900 series) v344.60, can also try that one.

BTW are you using Win7, Win8, Win8.1 or other?

Permalänk
Medlem

i will try the eventvwr later tonight
344.60 still doesnt work. if you check the release notes on the previous version 344.48 they actually state they had incompatibility issue with certain motherboards

GM204: Device does not start (error code 49) in certain OEM motherboards.

edit: just bought ASUS z77-a motherboard and reinstalled windows and everything and nvidia driver and i can play games just fine. after switching back to MSI ZH77A-G41 i still face the issue of losing monitor signal after windows splash. please note when i switched to msi motherboard i reinstalled windows and everything!!!!!! and im certain its not bad motherboard since i tried my old gtx 570 on msi motherboard and it works just fine.

after talking to ray from nvidia they said they had several customers having issues with msi motherboards who experience the same thing as i did.
ray said for example MSI BIG BANG-XPOWER II had this issue and msi released bios update which fixed the no signal issue.
i already said i tried different monitors but same thing.

Citat:

Thanks for the quick update John. At this point we'll need to investigate further and see if we can replicate the failure in our lab. Once we are able to replicate the failure then we can have development take a look. MSI did released a new system BIOS that resolved the same issue with the GTX 970 and MSI BIG BANG-XPOWER II motherboard, so this could be related. But until development can debug I can't be certain it is the same issue. The challenge will be to locate the exact motherboard in our lab, and we may have to contact MSI for help to see if they can replicate the failure. This could take sometime. Let me submit a bug and get this started on our end. In the meantime I suggest you contact MSI and report the issue and check if they had similar reports again this particular motherboard, and get their input. Let them know NVIDIA is in the process of trying to replicate the failure but we may need MSI help if we don't have this specific MB model. While I get the bug submitted here is a few things to try if you haven't already:

1. If your motherboard have onboard graphics then go into the system BIOS and disable all options related to onboard graphics. This is to avoid any potential conflict with the GTX 970.
2. If the motherboard have more than one PCI-E slot try relocating the GTX 970 card to another slot.
3. Rather than start Windows in Safe Mode, try starting Windows in Low Resolution mode and see if that will allow Windows to boot up. This will help determine if the graphics drivers may actually be loading but setting the desktop resolution higher than what the monitor supports.

If you can also get me the details below it would certainly help with our investigation.

1. When the failure does occur, is the system hung or does it respond to keyboard entry. For example does the LED goes ON/OFF when you hit the NUM-LOCK key? Trying to determine if the system is locked up or it's actually alive but just no display signal.
2. Run "msinfo32.exe" to export the system information to a text file and then upload text file to this incident. You will have to do this in Safe mode.
3. Brand/model of the monitor.

Best regards,

Permalänk
Skrivet av maidos:

i will try the eventvwr later tonight
344.60 still doesnt work. if you check the release notes on the previous version 344.48 they actually state they had incompatibility issue with certain motherboards

GM204: Device does not start (error code 49) in certain OEM motherboards.

edit: just bought ASUS z77-a motherboard and reinstalled windows and everything and nvidia driver and i can play games just fine. after switching back to MSI ZH77A-G41 i still face the issue of losing monitor signal after windows splash. please note when i switched to msi motherboard i reinstalled windows and everything!!!!!! and im certain its not bad motherboard since i tried my old gtx 570 on msi motherboard and it works just fine.

after talking to ray from nvidia they said they had several customers having issues with msi motherboards who experience the same thing as i did.
ray said for example MSI BIG BANG-XPOWER II had this issue and msi released bios update which fixed the no signal issue.
i already said i tried different monitors but same thing.

Can you tell me which Windows version you have tested (win7/Win8.0/Win8.1)?
Can you also tell me the rest of the spec: CPU, Memory, PSU.

BTW X79 chipset did not officially support PCIe Gen3.0 (while it was enabled by default in older bioses) causing the black screen issue with certain newer GPU's. Changing the PCIe default to Gen2 solved that issue on all X79 motherboards.
The CPU's for Z77/H77 officially support and are tested with Gen3 graphics cards so that shouldn't be a problem. You can still try to disable the PCIE GEN3 setting in the bios.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello!

I have a MSI z68A-GD55 G3 motherboard, and a 7970 GPU.

My problem: I bought a 280x to run in crossfire, but it doesn't work. The system wont boot with both cards and neither with only the 280x inserted. With the old card it works just fine,

Someone mentioned that I might need to update the MB BIOS, but I'm really nervous that it's gonna go wrong, since this kind of softwarestuff is beyond my knowledge.

Which is the safest way to update the BIOS?

I have windows 7.

Regards, Dennis

Visa signatur

Ducati Streetfighter 848, -2013
Yamaha FZR 1000, -1987

Permalänk
Skrivet av daskedennis:

Hello!

I have a MSI z68A-GD55 G3 motherboard, and a 7970 GPU.

My problem: I bought a 280x to run in crossfire, but it doesn't work. The system wont boot with both cards and neither with only the 280x inserted. With the old card it works just fine,

Someone mentioned that I might need to update the MB BIOS, but I'm really nervous that it's gonna go wrong, since this kind of softwarestuff is beyond my knowledge.

Which is the safest way to update the BIOS?

I have windows 7.

Regards, Dennis

Most likely your graphics card vbios is a Hybrid/UEFI one and your motherboard's bios is not compatible with those vbioses yet.

If you have an MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G you can simply switch the vga bios from (default) UEFI vbios to "Legacy" vbios (for support on older bioses).
That would be the easiest way.
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9_280X_GAMING_3G.html#hero-ov...

If you have a graphics card without the possibility to switch to a legacy bios, you can either update the motherboard bios or ask the graphics card vendor for a legacy vbios. If you have an MSI card just tell me the first part of your serial number, i.e. 602-Vxxx-yyy

The motherboard bios can be updated in Windows, just download the bios file v25.8 or vP.8 (7681vP8.zip) from here:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z68AGD55_G3.html#down-bios
extract the E7681vP8.exe file tot he root of USB stick and run it from the USB stick.
(it's important to run it from a USB stick, since the bios is flashed in two parts, the first part is flashed in Windows and after a reboot the Intel ME firmware is flashed automatically from the USB stick, so don't remove the USB stick before both parts are done).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Most likely your graphics card vbios is a Hybrid/UEFI one and your motherboard's bios is not compatible with those vbioses yet.

If you have an MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G you can simply switch the vga bios from (default) UEFI vbios to "Legacy" vbios (for support on older bioses).
That would be the easiest way.
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9_280X_GAMING_3G.html#hero-ov...

If you have a graphics card without the possibility to switch to a legacy bios, you can either update the motherboard bios or ask the graphics card vendor for a legacy vbios. If you have an MSI card just tell me the first part of your serial number, i.e. 602-Vxxx-yyy

The motherboard bios can be updated in Windows, just download the bios file v25.8 or vP.8 (7681vP8.zip) from here:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z68AGD55_G3.html#down-bios
extract the E7681vP8.exe file tot he root of USB stick and run it from the USB stick.
(it's important to run it from a USB stick, since the bios is flashed in two parts, the first part is flashed in Windows and after a reboot the Intel ME firmware is flashed automatically from the USB stick, so don't remove the USB stick before both parts are done).

So I should run it from the USBstick when I'm in windows? Not in the BIOS itself?
What if the biosupdate fails? I've read that if it happens it renders the motherboard unusable. That's what scares me..

Visa signatur

Ducati Streetfighter 848, -2013
Yamaha FZR 1000, -1987

Permalänk
Skrivet av daskedennis:

So I should run it from the USBstick when I'm in windows? Not in the BIOS itself?
What if the biosupdate fails? I've read that if it happens it renders the motherboard unusable. That's what scares me..

Yes, there is always a risk that bios updates fail.
The risk of these particular bios updates (one package EXE file) that updates "bios+ME7" to new "bios +ME8" the risk is higher in Windows than DOS.

Myself I have been updating the bioses of these Z68 boards numerous times and saw the windows update only fail once and the DOS version never but in Windows the varaibble are much higher since you can have multiple programs/services running in the background. In DOS this is not possible.
Also our MSI global forum moderator's experience is that the DOS update is much more reliable.
The bios update exe file in 7681vP8.zip can also be run in DOS (both DOS or Windows you need to run the exe file from a USB stick)

If you decide to update the motherboard bios I would use the DOS update.
The easiest way to do this is:
1.) Take a USB stick and make it DOS bootable with Rufus.
Choose MS-DOS (instead of DR-DOS):

2.) Download the 7681vP8.zip bios file and extract the exe file to the root of the USB stick.
3.) Insert the DOS USB stick in the Z86A-GD55 and boot from the DOS USB stick (you can press F11 to access the boot menu to select the USB stick)
4.) run the bios update by typing: "E7681vP8.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
5.) Bios update will be done in DOS and after that it will restart (but don't take out the USB stick yet)

6.) After the restart the ME firmware part will be updated

7.) Go to the bios setup by pressing DEL during boot and "Load Setup defaults (F6)" and "Save and Exit (F10".

And you are done.

A graphics card vbios update is usually less risky. BTW the R9 280X probably won't do crossfire with a HD7970 with the standard drivers anyway. You need two R9 280X or two HD7970's officially.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi Msi

Can run a sapphire 290x tri- x on my msi 890gxm - G65 ?
because I do not get it to work

thanks/

Visa signatur

Phanteks P400s | Asus B-350 Strix |Ryzen 1600X @4 Ghz
G.skill 16GB 3.6Ghz CL16 Trident Z RGB | FD Celsius S36
Samsung 960EVO 500GB |Corsair RM750x | Asus Vega 56 Strix

Permalänk

Hello!
where can I find an I/O-plate to an msi
MSI Z77A-S01 Motherboard?

Best regards Stefan

Permalänk
Skrivet av StefanFalun:

Hello!
where can I find an I/O-plate to an msi
MSI Z77A-S01 Motherboard?

Best regards Stefan

Dear Stefan,

That will be a challenge to find as a spare part. Please send me a PM with your home address, and I will make sure you get one. Also please let me know the reason you lost your original I/O shield. Thanks.

Regards,
Marc

update: As I am currently in HQ Taiwan, I found the right person and the right I/O shield for you. Please send me your details, I'll make sure to send it to you next week when I'm back in Europe.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Bulan75:

Hi Msi

Can run a sapphire 290x tri- x on my msi 890gxm - G65 ?
because I do not get it to work

thanks/

Theoretically I would expect it to work.
The only reason I can think of why it wouldn't work is that the R9-290X might have a "UEFI" vbios that might not work with the legacy motherboard bios.
This is a quite common issue with older motherboard bioses in combination with UEFI vbioses. If it was an MSI R9-290X I could have send you the legacy vbios to try.

Since MSI has never tested a R9-290X and we do not develop new bioses for the 890GXM-G65 anymore, I suggest you to contact Sapphire.
Ask them if the R9-290X card has a UEFI or legacy vbios and if it is a UEFI one, ask them for a legacy vbios so you can try.

If that doesn't help I am afraid you need to replace your motherboard if you want to use the R9-290X.

Please note that legacy vbioses won't be available on all future graphics cards (for example there are no GTX970/980 legacy vbioses anymore).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Theoretically I would expect it to work.
The only reason I can think of why it wouldn't work is that the R9-290X might have a "UEFI" vbios that might not work with the legacy motherboard bios.
This is a quite common issue with older motherboard bioses in combination with UEFI vbioses. If it was an MSI R9-290X I could have send you the legacy vbios to try.

Since MSI has never tested a R9-290X and we do not develop new bioses for the 890GXM-G65 anymore, I suggest you to contact Sapphire.
Ask them if the R9-290X card has a UEFI or legacy vbios and if it is a UEFI one, ask them for a legacy vbios so you can try.

If that doesn't help I am afraid you need to replace your motherboard if you want to use the R9-290X.

Please note that legacy vbioses won't be available on all future graphics cards (for example there are no GTX970/980 legacy vbioses anymore).

Thanks for the reply /Bulent75

Visa signatur

Phanteks P400s | Asus B-350 Strix |Ryzen 1600X @4 Ghz
G.skill 16GB 3.6Ghz CL16 Trident Z RGB | FD Celsius S36
Samsung 960EVO 500GB |Corsair RM750x | Asus Vega 56 Strix

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi!

I am interested in delidding my cpu (Pentium AE) and found that you have a accessory called MSI Delid Die Guard. Would that work with the MSI Z97M-G43 and where can I order the Die Guard?

Visa signatur

Happy Face!

Permalänk
Medlem

I am currently building an ITX system. Would like to know if I break the warranty if I paint the heatsinks on the motherboard white, MSI Z97I Gaming AC

Visa signatur

CPU 1700@4GHZ | MB MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU AMD Vega 64 | RAM G.skill FlareX DDR4 @3466MHZ 16GB PSU Corsair AX1200i | SSD Samsung 960 EVO 512GB | | Monitor Acer Predator XZ321QU| Mouse Razer deathadder | Keyboard Corsair Gaming K70 RGB | Headset Sennheiser game one.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Jays_swe:

I am currently building an ITX system. Would like to know if I break the warranty if I paint the heatsinks on the motherboard white, MSI Z97I Gaming AC

If it is only painted warranty is no issue.
Just make sure the contact between the heatsinks and the chips is restored properly after painting.

Permalänk
Entusiast

Hello.

I have a few issues with my Z87 MPower motherboard. First off, the USB 3.0 connectors by the I/O panel are acting a bit strange. They work fine with my mouse and keyboard, and with USB 2.0 drives. As soon as I plug in a 3.0 device though, nothing happens at all. I'm running the latest bios I believe, and all other drivers should be up to date.

The other issue has to do with coil whine. I got my second 280X a few months back, and ever since, I hear this slight coil whine from the motherboard whenever I stress the computer. It's not especially irritating though, and as I said it's barely audible. It's completely inaudible as soon as I turn the sound on in games and so on. I believe the only solution to this would be a new motherboard, but that's a lot of hassle for a really tiny issue. I just wanted to mention this due to the odd chance that there actually might be another solution.

Regards
Adam

Visa signatur

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | Intel Core i9-9900K | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | 32 GB DDR4 @3200Mhz | Corsair SF750 | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB (M.2) | Crucial MX 500 & 300 1TB (2,5") | Louqe Ghost S1 Ash | AOC AGON AG271QG, Eizo Foris FS2333 & TCL 75EP660 | Windows 11 64-bit

Permalänk
Skrivet av MrAdde:

Hello.

I have a few issues with my Z87 MPower motherboard. First off, the USB 3.0 connectors by the I/O panel are acting a bit strange. They work fine with my mouse and keyboard, and with USB 2.0 drives. As soon as I plug in a 3.0 device though, nothing happens at all. I'm running the latest bios I believe, and all other drivers should be up to date.

The other issue has to do with coil whine. I got my second 280X a few months back, and ever since, I hear this slight coil whine from the motherboard whenever I stress the computer. It's not especially irritating though, and as I said it's barely audible. It's completely inaudible as soon as I turn the sound on in games and so on. I believe the only solution to this would be a new motherboard, but that's a lot of hassle for a really tiny issue. I just wanted to mention this due to the odd chance that there actually might be another solution.

Regards
Adam

Do you use Win7 or Win8.x?
If you use Win7 please make sure you have installed the Intel USB3 driver:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z87-MPOWER.html#down-driver&Win...

If it's Win8.0 it might be an initialization issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2811660
(Update to Win8.1 should fix that)

Some USB hdd drives draw more power than is allowed by the USB port (>0.5A for USB2.0 and >0.9A for USB3) which could also cause issues detecting the USB device. You could verify that by using an external power adapter with the USB hdd drive if possible or by using a powered USB hub (powered USB hubs usaully alow a bit more current).

Permalänk
Entusiast
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Do you use Win7 or Win8.x?
If you use Win7 please make sure you have installed the Intel USB3 driver:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z87-MPOWER.html#down-driver&Win...

If it's Win8.0 it might be an initialization issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2811660
(Update to Win8.1 should fix that)

Some USB hdd drives draw more power than is allowed by the USB port (>0.5A for USB2.0 and >0.9A for USB3) which could also cause issues detecting the USB device. You could verify that by using an external power adapter with the USB hdd drive if possible or by using a powered USB hub (powered USB hubs usaully alow a bit more current).

Hi, and thanks for your reply. Sorry for being unclear, I'm running Windows 8.1 with the latest updates installed. Although this issue has always been present, even before 8.1, and with W7. Also, I'm referring to USB-sticks I suppose. Those should work regardless, right?

Visa signatur

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | Intel Core i9-9900K | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | 32 GB DDR4 @3200Mhz | Corsair SF750 | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB (M.2) | Crucial MX 500 & 300 1TB (2,5") | Louqe Ghost S1 Ash | AOC AGON AG271QG, Eizo Foris FS2333 & TCL 75EP660 | Windows 11 64-bit

Permalänk
Skrivet av MrAdde:

Hi, and thanks for your reply. Sorry for being unclear, I'm running Windows 8.1 with the latest updates installed. Although this issue has always been present, even before 8.1, and with W7. Also, I'm referring to USB-sticks I suppose. Those should work regardless, right?

Yes, USB sticks don't draw much power usually, so power shouldn't be a problem.
Locally we have tested two different USB3.0 stick without issues.

but our HQ has tested more USB3 devices:
http://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR12_2851.pdf

Could you also check in the bios that XHCI and EHCI hand-off is enabled? (or just push F6 in bios setup to load bios defaults).

Btw, coil whine is something that can happen with any switching power supply.
It sometimes helps to change to a different power supply but there is not much you can do about it.