Motherboard related questions

Permalänk
Skrivet av Hagge:

Yeah but thats the thing, Im not after a "gaming" themed motherboard So theres not even a small chance for a yellow/black themed motherboard? As the ones before?

I am afraid not. Current color themes for Socket 1151 are:
Titanium for xpower, black/red for gaming, black/white for krait models and in the near future there will be some all black models.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

I am afraid not. Current color themes for Socket 1151 are:
Titanium for xpower, black/red for gaming, black/white for krait models and in the near future there will be some all black models.

Ok, but the color aint that bad of a deal.. Its the "gaming" logo I rather skip... Why did you guys put "gaming" on your titanium xpower motherboard.. Aren't this made for overclockers and so on:(

Permalänk

Skylake Update: what’s new form Intel and MSI

On the 5th of August Intel lifted the NDA on their new architecture Skylake by introducing the enthusiast and overclocking oriented Core i7-6700K and the i5-6600K processors as well as the Z170 chipset. On the same day we also introduced the MSI Z170-based GAMING motherboard line-up. Besides the extensive review of the CPUs which you can find here on SweClockers, we collected a couple of useful links to international media highlighting the biggest benefits with the Skylake platform:

• More flexible overclocking (Anandtech): Flexible (per MHz) Baseclock clocking (no more Ringbus and 1.00, 1.25, 167 straps). Voltage control by motherboard instead of integrated voltage regulator.

• Massive flexibility and expandability (Anandtech): 36 PCIe Gen3 lanes (16 from CPU, max 20 from Z170 (shared 6 with SATA3 ports) for graphic cards and storage M.2/PCIe/SATAe. (Z97 only has 16x Gen3, 8x Gen2).

• DDR4 support: Higher default bandwidth (2133MHz) and possibly more overclock headroom in the future.

MSI Z170 GAMING - Choose Your Destiny

Besides above benefits, the new MSI Z170 GAMING line-up going under the name Choose Your Destiny comes packed with features especially developed for optimizing the gaming experience no matter on what level you are playing. The line-up is divided into three segments – Enthusiast, Performance and Arsenal – with each of the segments catering to the specific needs of different types of gamers from the professional to the casual gamer. A couple of the features are “old” favorites while the rest are completely new for this generation. Below you can find a short introduction to the different segments and by clicking the links you will find more in-depth information.

Enthusiast GAMING – The new MSI Enthusiast GAMING Series motherboards are designed to provide gamers the finest gaming experience through genuine GAMING design, best-in-class gaming features and the latest cutting edge technology. Available in flavors ranging from the Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM for expert gaming and overclocking, the Z170A GAMING M9 ACK as the leading pro gaming motherboard to the Z170A GAMING M7 and M5 as the most popular gaming enthusiast motherboards.

Performance GAMING – Engineered to provide both a stunning gaming and visual experience, the MSI Z170 Performance GAMING series give you plenty of reasons to show off. The MSI Z170A GAMING PRO is an extremely customizable platform, allowing you to display your unique style with Mystic Light while placing a vast array of powerful gaming features at your disposal. Brandishing the sleek black & white color scheme, the MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING has a striking design that delivers the coolest gaming experience.

Arsenal GAMING – The MSI Z170 Arsenal GAMING series are forged to provide a non-stop gaming experience with an arsenal of crucial gaming features included. Stay ahead of the enemy with MSI GAMING LAN, enjoy the sparkling sound quality of Audio Boost and set the mood with Ambient Light. The Z170A TOMAHAWK is a full ATX board with CrossFire support for amazing graphics setups, extremely rapid loading times with Turbo M.2 and USB 3.1 Gen2 connectors offering twice the speed of regular USB3.0. Specifically suited for the stealthy smaller gaming systems, the mATX MSI Z170M MORTAR offers a full range of features for the casual gamer.

Permalänk
Medlem

MSI Motherboard X99S GAMING 9 AC - Bios update?

Hello MSI, I am just wondering if you guys are planing to release an updated Bios for this motherboard? Latest update is from mars and I dont wanna update if you guys are going to release a new update very soon.

Visa signatur

Samsung Odyssey G9 240Hz HDR1000 5120x1440 9900K 5,3GHz 1,335v adaptive Asus Z390-I
Asus RTX 2070 Dual EVO Advanced 8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB B-Die 3200MHz CL16 2x16GB Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W 2 x Dell U2715H Corsair K65 Speed SteelSeries Rival 500 Bose Companion 5
Secretlab TITAN 2020 SoftWeave Corsair H100i RGB Platinum Noctua NF-A12x25 x 4 PnP Neo G Mini GB4: 6869 CB15: 233

Permalänk
Skrivet av muSashi:

MSI Motherboard X99S GAMING 9 AC - Bios update?

Hello MSI, I am just wondering if you guys are planing to release an updated Bios for this motherboard? Latest update is from mars and I dont wanna update if you guys are going to release a new update very soon.

I don't know when a new bios will be released.
You can safely update to bios v1.7 and if a new bios comes along update it again.Easiest way is to use M-Flash in the bios to update the bios.

If you want to know how M-Flash works it's on the bottom of the bios download page:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/X99S-GAMING-9-AC.html#down-bios

Permalänk
Skrivet av Mocka:

Hello Ruudt.

Thank you for your response. Now for another issue:
It seems like the Z170 chipset doesn't work well with SLI. I don't know if it's BIOS, vBIOS, chipset driver or VGA driver related.
I've combed the Internet regarding this and found several people with the same problem, one with an MSI board and two more with ASUS boards.

Here are links to this problem:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2765306/sli-performi...
https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20150816075401746&SLa...
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=401782
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/866594/pc-games/witc...

The common link is that we all have the 6700K, a Z170 and some kind of SLI setup.

I've created a ticket at MSI support (and also forum but that was a dead end (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=259785.0) but they said they've never heard of this issue before but could take a look at this. Contact me on PM if you want the case reference number.

Thank you!

PS. I don't think there is something wrong with the motherboard itself.

Driver v355.82 solves The Witcher 3 SLI issue on Z170 (and probably other game issues with SLI on Z170 as well).
You can get it through http://www.geforce.com/drivers

If you are interested in the whole testing history, you can read more here:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=259785.0

Permalänk
Medlem

Help with debug codes

Hi

I just assembled a new pc that shall work as my new home server.

I choose the MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION to get a lot of s-ata connections, ECC support etc.
When I try to start the debug led cycle 4 different codes. No error beeps or anything.
They cycle in this order, but I hadn't a chance to see which was first.
00 (zero zero I guess)
0d (zero D I guess)

"00" and "0d" just flashes by really fast (I recorded a video in slow motion so I was able to read them)

After a minute or two the cycle stopped at 55.

In the manual 50-55 says "Early Memory Initialization" So I tried to move my DDR4-dimm to the other sockets but no luck. If I removed the memory stick I got the expected three beeps.

It would really help if you can translate this debug codes, since the manual dosen't cover them, so I know where to start looking.

My other hardware
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100
RAM: 1 piece Kingston KVR21R15S4/8I (8GB) 2133MHz, ECC, 1,2V
HDD: Crucial MX200 2.5" 250GB SSD (s-ata)
PSU: Seasonic "SS-360GP" G-360 360W GOLD

Visa signatur

Intel Core i7 920, Asus Rampage III Gene, 6GB DDR3 1333MHz, GTX280

Permalänk
Skrivet av emKa:

Hi

I just assembled a new pc that shall work as my new home server.

I choose the MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION to get a lot of s-ata connections, ECC support etc.
When I try to start the debug led cycle 4 different codes. No error beeps or anything.
They cycle in this order, but I hadn't a chance to see which was first.
00 (zero zero I guess)
0d (zero D I guess)

"00" and "0d" just flashes by really fast (I recorded a video in slow motion so I was able to read them)

After a minute or two the cycle stopped at 55.

In the manual 50-55 says "Early Memory Initialization" So I tried to move my DDR4-dimm to the other sockets but no luck. If I removed the memory stick I got the expected three beeps.

It would really help if you can translate this debug codes, since the manual dosen't cover them, so I know where to start looking.

My other hardware
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100
RAM: 1 piece Kingston KVR21R15S4/8I (8GB) 2133MHz, ECC, 1,2V
HDD: Crucial MX200 2.5" 250GB SSD (s-ata)
PSU: Seasonic "SS-360GP" G-360 360W GOLD

POST Codes 55 and 19 are definitely memory related.
First try one module in dimm slot 2.
Try clearing the bios settings with the Clear CMOS button.

There is a good chance that a bios update will solve your issues but first you need to be bale to boot the motherboard.
Skylake is still new and we are constantly improving memory compatibility by doing bios updates.
If you are still unable to boot with your current set of memory even after clearing the cmos you need to find someone (or a computershop) who has memory that boots to update the bios.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi MSI!

I have some questions!

First: Is the Z87-S02 and the Z87-G55 the same motherboard but with a diffrent colour scheme?

Second: If yes on the above. Can I use the newer version of BIOS, released for Z87-g55, on my Z87-S02?

Third: If yes on the second question. Will a 4790K, Haswell Refresh, work in my system?

Permalänk
Skrivet av Minthon:

Hi MSI!

I have some questions!

First: Is the Z87-S02 and the Z87-G55 the same motherboard but with a diffrent colour scheme?

Second: If yes on the above. Can I use the newer version of BIOS, released for Z87-g55, on my Z87-S02?

Third: If yes on the second question. Will a 4790K, Haswell Refresh, work in my system?

Sorry for the delay.

Z87-S02 is based on the same PCB as Z87-G55 and can use the standard MSI bios E7782IMS.Axx. (S02 doesn't have gfx connectors)
If your bios is no "IMS" but "IIT" you need to rename the file you want to M-Flash to "IIT".
(Make sure you choose "Update Bios and ME" in the M-Flash menu)

BTW Bios version A50 or later can already work with Haswell-Refresh CPUs (for 4790K better use A6 or later).
http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z87-G55.html#s...

Permalänk

Z170M LED

Skrivet av MSI-official:

Welcome to the MSI Motherboard thread!

Here you can ask questions or discuss any other matters relating to Motherboards.

Information and details of our Motherboards can be found at our MSI Official Website.

Also, more information can be found at our Facebook page

As in the other "Butiker och tillverkare" threads and forums, the idea with our presence here is NOT to replace our traditional customer service or RMA department. For warranty and RMA issues please visithttp://register.msi.com/.

Heya MSI, ive looked everywhere (almost, apparently not everywhere since then i wouldnt be asking you)
and i can't find any info on how to turn on the LEDS on the back of my Z170-m motherboard?

Visa signatur

Core i7 6700k, Msi Z170m mortar, 16gb Hyperx DDR4, Evga GTX 970 4gb ACX 2.0+ SSC, Corsair hydro H100i , Corsair Carbide Air 240 , Fractal Design Integra M 750w

Permalänk
Skrivet av darkstrom:

Heya MSI, ive looked everywhere (almost, apparently not everywhere since then i wouldnt be asking you)
and i can't find any info on how to turn on the LEDS on the back of my Z170-m motherboard?

Do you mean the leds on the bottom of the PCB of the Z170M Mortar?
These are always on, you can't turn them off as far as I know (I've looked in the bios, in Command Center and Gaming App but no option to turn them off).

The LEDs on Gaming Pro boards and M3/M5/M/M9 boards can be controlled by the MSI Gaming APP.

Permalänk

LED

Skrivet av Ruudt:

Do you mean the leds on the bottom of the PCB of the Z170M Mortar?
These are always on, you can't turn them off as far as I know (I've looked in the bios, in Command Center and Gaming App but no option to turn them off).

The LEDs on Gaming Pro boards and M3/M5/M/M9 boards can be controlled by the MSI Gaming APP.

Well, mine aren't even turned on.

and if i look at the info site on the z170m

http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z170M-MORTAR.html#hero...

it says "The Arsenal GAMING Series motherboards come with LEDs on the back of the motherboard to let you fully enjoy the gaming side of things. Like war paint, turn them on for the full Arsenal GAMING experience and you are ready to dominate any battlefield."

notice the "turn them on" part.

Visa signatur

Core i7 6700k, Msi Z170m mortar, 16gb Hyperx DDR4, Evga GTX 970 4gb ACX 2.0+ SSC, Corsair hydro H100i , Corsair Carbide Air 240 , Fractal Design Integra M 750w

Permalänk
Skrivet av darkstrom:

Well, mine aren't even turned on.

and if i look at the info site on the z170m

http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z170M-MORTAR.html#hero...

it says "The Arsenal GAMING Series motherboards come with LEDs on the back of the motherboard to let you fully enjoy the gaming side of things. Like war paint, turn them on for the full Arsenal GAMING experience and you are ready to dominate any battlefield."

notice the "turn them on" part.

Yes I have also checked the electrical diagram and it appears to be possible to turn them on/off but I haven't found the method yet.
I have asked our HQ how to do that? I will get back to you shortly.

Permalänk
Medlem

my MSI m7 gaming socket 1151 wont boot when i tell it to run XMP so my memory go to its normal 2800mhz Clock? i can only run it at 2133? what am i doing wrong?

Permalänk
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Yes I have also checked the electrical diagram and it appears to be possible to turn them on/off but I haven't found the method yet.
I have asked our HQ how to do that? I will get back to you shortly.

I have overlooked a bios option. It is in the bios.
You should go to bios Advanced mode (F7) then go to Settings->Advanced->Power Management-> On board LED Control.
Here you can turn on/off the LEDs on the bottom of the PCB.
http://faenl.msi.com/index.php?dir=Forum/&file=Onboard_led_control.jpg

Permalänk
Skrivet av Fac31:

my MSI m7 gaming socket 1151 wont boot when i tell it to run XMP so my memory go to its normal 2800mhz Clock? i can only run it at 2133? what am i doing wrong?

There are a lot of new DDR4 modules launched with the introduction of Skylake so we are continuously trying to improve memory compatibility in our bioses.

Please try the latest bios (currently v1.9) for the Z170 GAMING M7:
http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M...
Make sure you select XMP profile 1 (profile 2 is the more aggressive profile and will not work in every config)

What modules do you have and how many?
If it doesn't work by setting the XMP button (profile one), you can try the following:
enable XMP profile 1, set the memory voltage to 1.35V and Memory Command Rate to 2T.
If it still doesn't work, you will also have to lower the DRAM clock speed (to e.g. 2666/2400MHz) or try other modules.

MSI has tested the following modules:

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

There are a lot of new DDR4 modules launched with the introduction of Skylake so we are continuously trying to improve memory compatibility in our bioses.

Please try the latest bios (currently v1.9) for the Z170 GAMING M7:
Make sure you select XMP profile 1 (profile 2 is the more aggressive profile and will not work in every config)

What modules do you have and how many?
If it doesn't work by setting the XMP button (profile one), you can try the following:
enable XMP profile 1, set the memory voltage to 1.35V and Memory Command Rate to 2T.
If it still doesn't work, you will also have to lower the DRAM clock speed (to e.g. 2666/2400MHz) or try other modules.

MSI has tested the following modules:

Woled with bios 1,9 Thanks!

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello Ruudt.

I have a question regarding Command Center. I currently use 2.0.0.16 and every time I launch the program it asks me to download the 2.0.0.17 update. Problem is, after the program finishes uninstalling and reinstalling I still have the .16 version.

Same with the link on the web site : http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M...
It points to the 2.0.0.16 version although it says .17

Final question, how do I set new Default values for the System fans? I dont have PWM fans and I want to increase the RPM while gaming but I have to do it manually each time through Command Center.

Visa signatur

Stationär: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI | G.Skill 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 Neo RGB | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 & Intel 660P 1TB M.2 | Corsair RM850x v2 White Series | Phanteks P500A D-RGB | Acer X34GS | Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent | Razer Deathadder v.2 | Logitech PRO X 7.1
Laptop: AMD Ryzen 7 6800HS | 16GB 4800MHz DDR5 | RTX 3060 140W | 15,6" 144Hz FHD IPS 16:9

Permalänk

Led

Skrivet av Ruudt:

I have overlooked a bios option. It is in the bios.
You should go to bios Advanced mode (F7) then go to Settings->Advanced->Power Management-> On board LED Control.
Here you can turn on/off the LEDs on the bottom of the PCB.
http://faenl.msi.com/index.php?dir=Forum/&file=Onboard_led_control.jpg

Gonna try that when i get home thanks

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av Mocka:

Hello Ruudt.

I have a question regarding Command Center. I currently use 2.0.0.16 and every time I launch the program it asks me to download the 2.0.0.17 update. Problem is, after the program finishes uninstalling and reinstalling I still have the .16 version.

Same with the link on the web site : http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M...
It points to the 2.0.0.16 version although it says .17

Final question, how do I set new Default values for the System fans? I dont have PWM fans and I want to increase the RPM while gaming but I have to do it manually each time through Command Center.

Yes, I have noticed this yesterday as well. Command Center v2.16 offered v2.17 but after installation it still is v2.16.
Today CC is offering v2.20 and it installs v2.20.

If you want to temporarily change sysfan speed you can only use Command Center (and change it back to "smartfan" in CC when you are done).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Yes, I have noticed this yesterday as well. Command Center v2.16 offered v2.17 but after installation it still is v2.16.
Today CC is offering v2.20 and it installs v2.20.

If you want to temporarily change sysfan speed you can only use Command Center (and change it back to "smartfan" in CC when you are done).

Thanks Ruudt. Im trying out some stuff with Smart Fan (the graphs) and just hope that whatever new values I put in will be saved.

Visa signatur

Stationär: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI | G.Skill 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 Neo RGB | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 & Intel 660P 1TB M.2 | Corsair RM850x v2 White Series | Phanteks P500A D-RGB | Acer X34GS | Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent | Razer Deathadder v.2 | Logitech PRO X 7.1
Laptop: AMD Ryzen 7 6800HS | 16GB 4800MHz DDR5 | RTX 3060 140W | 15,6" 144Hz FHD IPS 16:9

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi MSI!

I was wonder if MSI have any plans on releasing a BIOS that allow users to overclock non-K modells using BLCK without having to deal with the typical issues? (Similar to what Supermicro have done) I've read some rumors that MSI might be joining in on this idea.

If so, will Z170i Gaming Pro AC be one of the boards that will support this?

Thanks!

Visa signatur
Permalänk
Medlem

MSI 970 GAMING MOTHERBOARD CROSSFIRE QUESTION

Does MSI 970 GAMING motherboard support Crossfire with 2 different GPU's?
The GPU in question are HD 7950 and a HD 7970.
According to this chart the GPU's in question should be crossfire compatible using external bridge.

Visa signatur

3900X, RX 6700 XT, 32gb RGB RAM.

Permalänk
Skrivet av brainlessbob:

Does MSI 970 GAMING motherboard support Crossfire with 2 different GPU's?
The GPU in question are HD 7950 and a HD 7970.
According to this chart the GPU's in question should be crossfire compatible using external bridge.

Yes theoretical it should be supported but you will probably get the performance of 2x HD7950.
It was not tested by MSI, so I cannot guarantee it.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Arazand:

Hi MSI!

I was wonder if MSI have any plans on releasing a BIOS that allow users to overclock non-K modells using BLCK without having to deal with the typical issues? (Similar to what Supermicro have done) I've read some rumors that MSI might be joining in on this idea.

If so, will Z170i Gaming Pro AC be one of the boards that will support this?

Thanks!

We have released unofficial bioses to support this OC feature a month ago but these bioses should be considered "As is". Meaning that we don't officially support it and you can use them at your own risk.
Bioses can be found here:
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?p=422677#post422677

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

We have released unofficial bioses to support this OC feature a month ago but these bioses should be considered "As is". Meaning that we don't officially support it and you can use them at your own risk.
Bioses can be found here:
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?p=422677#post422677

If you use them will the warranty be voided? Cause it would be fun to test it out but I'm not about to go and break warranty on a brand new motherboard. Hehe.

Visa signatur
Permalänk
Skrivet av Arazand:

If you use them will the warranty be voided? Cause it would be fun to test it out but I'm not about to go and break warranty on a brand new motherboard. Hehe.

Merely using the unofficial bios doesn't break/void warranty. Even if the bios flash might fail and your board doesn't start you still have warranty.

But with overclocking you have certain risks (especially when overvolting and insufficient cooling). Overclocking is always done at your own risk so it doesn't change by using these unofficial bioses.

Permalänk
Medlem

@Ruudt: That is good to know, thank you very much for the information.

Visa signatur
Permalänk
Medlem

Hello!

I have a Z68A GD55 G3 Motherboard, that I need to update the bios on.
I use an Intel I5 2500K CPU.

Today I have version 23.2, and I borrowed a friends GPU (asus 7970 maxtrix) to use, since mine broke (Sapphire 7970), but the computer wont boot with it. (I know my friends card works fine)

can I upgrade to the latest BIOS-version directly, even though I use a Sandy Bridge CPU, not Ivy Bridge? Or should I take an earlier BIOS before the ivy bridge, like version 23,7?

Best regards, Dennis

Visa signatur

Ducati Streetfighter 848, -2013
Yamaha FZR 1000, -1987