Motherboard related questions

Permalänk
Entusiast
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Yes, USB sticks don't draw much power usually, so power shouldn't be a problem.
Locally we have tested two different USB3.0 stick without issues.

but our HQ has tested more USB3 devices:
http://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR12_2851.pdf

Could you also check in the bios that XHCI and EHCI hand-off is enabled? (or just push F6 in bios setup to load bios defaults).

Btw, coil whine is something that can happen with any switching power supply.
It sometimes helps to change to a different power supply but there is not much you can do about it.

They were enabled. This is the USB-memory in question. http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorer_och_tillbehor/186323-s...

Visa signatur

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | Intel Core i9-9900K | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | 32 GB DDR4 @3200Mhz | Corsair SF750 | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB (M.2) | Crucial MX 500 & 300 1TB (2,5") | Louqe Ghost S1 Ash | AOC AGON AG271QG, Eizo Foris FS2333 & TCL 75EP660 | Windows 11 64-bit

Permalänk
Skrivet av MrAdde:

They were enabled. This is the USB-memory in question. http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorer_och_tillbehor/186323-s...

Sandisk reports that some software might interfere with the USB stick detection:
http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10

If the USB stick works properly in other systems with Intel USB3.0, it could be a defect of the motherboard.
Maybe you could check it at the shop you bought the motherboard from.

We have tested a Sandisk Extreme USB3.0 without issues but that is not exactly the same as your stick, so I can't be sure about your model.
http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/extreme/

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi, I have a question about MSI P67A GD65 motherboard.

I've been running 2x4GB 1600Mhz memory with this board for 4 years now. Yesterday I bought 2x8GB 2400Mhz memory, and after I put them in and went to the BIOS, I could see that the highest frequency that supported was 2133Mhz, so I gave it a run. But then the system went really unstable and I got blue screen all the time. I've checked voltage and timing as such everything was according to the XMP profile.

When I went into Memory-Z I could see that max bandwidth was set to 1600Mhz, and so I downclocked it. Everything went fine after that.

So My question is: Is 1600Mhz the highest it can go with this mobo? In this case why is there a choice for 2133Mhz then?

Permalänk
Skrivet av linusji:

Hi, I have a question about MSI P67A GD65 motherboard.

I've been running 2x4GB 1600Mhz memory with this board for 4 years now. Yesterday I bought 2x8GB 2400Mhz memory, and after I put them in and went to the BIOS, I could see that the highest frequency that supported was 2133Mhz, so I gave it a run. But then the system went really unstable and I got blue screen all the time. I've checked voltage and timing as such everything was according to the XMP profile.

When I went into Memory-Z I could see that max bandwidth was set to 1600Mhz, and so I downclocked it. Everything went fine after that.

So My question is: Is 1600Mhz the highest it can go with this mobo? In this case why is there a choice for 2133Mhz then?

If you look at the standard specification of the S1156 CPUs (for eaxmple i7-3770K) the fastest memory speed officially is DDR3-1600.
Anything higher means you are overclocking.

XMP is a big help and it works in many cases but that doesn't guarantee it will work with any cpu or any motherboard.
Besides setting XMP it sometimes helps to add (even) more memory voltage and setting the command rate to 2T (if that isn't the case already).
Also relaxing the CAS latency timing or other timings might work but you can only find out by "trial-and-error". That is the typical way overclocking works.

The P67A-GD65 has been tested up to DDR3-2400 but only with a few memory modules:
http://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_2313.pdf

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi

Have lost the screw to install the wifi card on the motherboard. Where can get a new one?

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97I-GAMING-AC.html#hero-overvi...

Visa signatur

CPU 1700@4GHZ | MB MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU AMD Vega 64 | RAM G.skill FlareX DDR4 @3466MHZ 16GB PSU Corsair AX1200i | SSD Samsung 960 EVO 512GB | | Monitor Acer Predator XZ321QU| Mouse Razer deathadder | Keyboard Corsair Gaming K70 RGB | Headset Sennheiser game one.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Jays_swe:

Hi

Have lost the screw to install the wifi card on the motherboard. Where can get a new one?

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97I-GAMING-AC.html#hero-overvi...

Any M3 screw (length ~4mm) will do. Should be available at any hardware store.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello Msi.

Got an "old" pc with a Msi 760GM-P23(FX) and i cant change the voltage of the cpu. Whenever i try to raise it over 1.4V it just returns to "AUTO" again. I have disabled CnQ SVE and c1e, what will i need to do for getting access to manually adjust the vcore?

Running an Athlon 250 3.0ghz cpu.

Visa signatur

I5-4460, R9:280X OC, B600W, 8gb HyperX och 120gb SSD/500GB WDBLUE

X5460@3.8ghz, GTX660, CMb600W, 4gb ddr2, XFX nForce 780i sli

Permalänk
Skrivet av phixip:

Hello Msi.

Got an "old" pc with a Msi 760GM-P23(FX) and i cant change the voltage of the cpu. Whenever i try to raise it over 1.4V it just returns to "AUTO" again. I have disabled CnQ SVE and c1e, what will i need to do for getting access to manually adjust the vcore?

Running an Athlon 250 3.0ghz cpu.

760GM-P23 (FX) is not designed for overclocking/overvolting.
If you want overclcoking/overvolting on AM3+ please try a motherboard with 970/990FX chipset, like our 970 GAMING or 990FX-GD65.

Permalänk
Entusiast

Hello.

This may be a shot in the dark, but I thought it would be worth a try. http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorkomponenter/185866-msi_b8...

That motherboard was delivered to Webhallen this month, and the BIOS update for Haswell refresh was released early 2014. Is there any way to confirm that it's already running the updated BIOS required for Haswell refresh?

Visa signatur

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | Intel Core i9-9900K | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I | 32 GB DDR4 @3200Mhz | Corsair SF750 | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB (M.2) | Crucial MX 500 & 300 1TB (2,5") | Louqe Ghost S1 Ash | AOC AGON AG271QG, Eizo Foris FS2333 & TCL 75EP660 | Windows 11 64-bit

Permalänk
Skrivet av MrAdde:

Hello.

This may be a shot in the dark, but I thought it would be worth a try. http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorkomponenter/185866-msi_b8...

That motherboard was delivered to Webhallen this month, and the BIOS update for Haswell refresh was released early 2014. Is there any way to confirm that it's already running the updated BIOS required for Haswell refresh?

I can confirm that the first bios release v10.0 (A00) of the B85M-E45 can already boot Haswell-Refresh CPUs.
It is still wise to update to the latest bios to get the best performance on those new CPUs:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/B85ME45.html#down-bios

Permalänk
Medlem

MSI z97 Gaming 3

Hi, i updated the bios in MSI liveupdater and when i rebooted my computer the screen was totaly black and nothing happens. I tried to use a jumper to reset, did not work. I tried to take out the battery, did not work. So how to i fix this? Fast answer please. Thanks

Permalänk
Skrivet av crabbe98:

Hi, i updated the bios in MSI liveupdater and when i rebooted my computer the screen was totaly black and nothing happens. I tried to use a jumper to reset, did not work. I tried to take out the battery, did not work. So how to i fix this? Fast answer please. Thanks

If you already cleared the CMOS, you can only try to recover the bios with this method:
http://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/TechFAQdetail...

Bios can be found here:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z97-GAMING-3.html#down-bios

If that doesn't help and you still have warranty you should contact the shop for service.

Permalänk
Entusiast

Hello again. I recently got my MSI B85-E45 motherboard which seems to offer great value for the money, however I must say that it's extremely tight between the PCI-e port and the CPU socket and the memory slots. The GPU fits with a millimeters margin to the memory slots, it's completely impossible to remove memory modules without first removing the GPU. While that isn't much of an issue, I'm curious if I will even be able to install coolers such as this one? http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=1008748

Visa signatur

Permalänk

Hello!

Im writing here on behalf of my brother. A little more then a year ago my brother purchased some components att www.inet.se
Including a Msi H87 G43 motherboard and the computer worked like clockwork until one when he was turning on his computer and nothing happend fans start spinning bot nothing happens couldnt even get into bios. My brother called me for my help and I would come over to look at it, my first thought was the psu or something has gone bad or some wiring had got loose on the graphiccard.

I brought with me a psu that i know is still working great and changed it but it was no help. I also cleared the cmos with no luck. I tried taking the battery out to. no sucsess. Tried everything to unplugg everything from the mothearboard and try again still wont work. I took out his cpu home with me and tried it. It was no wrong with the cpu when i tried on a another motherboard that I have. Seems like a corrupt bios or something.

How do I resolve this issue for him, he is really in need of his computer.?

Permalänk
Skrivet av MrAdde:

Hello again. I recently got my MSI B85-E45 motherboard which seems to offer great value for the money, however I must say that it's extremely tight between the PCI-e port and the CPU socket and the memory slots. The GPU fits with a millimeters margin to the memory slots, it's completely impossible to remove memory modules without first removing the GPU. While that isn't much of an issue, I'm curious if I will even be able to install coolers such as this one? http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=1008748

The space on Mircro-ATX boards is of course more limited than full ATX motherboards.
I don't have that exact model Coolermaster cooler but most coolers shouldn't have a problem on this board.
I can only give you the approximate dimensions of the space around the cpu socket.

As you can see the distance to the dimms is the closest. Depending if you use dimms with higher heat spreaders on them this might conflict with the cooler.
(dimms without heat spreaders usually don't interfere with oversized coolers).

Most coolers also are flexible so you can place the fan on either the dimm side or on the rear-I/O side.

Permalänk
Skrivet av TimMy2003:

Hello!

Im writing here on behalf of my brother. A little more then a year ago my brother purchased some components att www.inet.se
Including a Msi H87 G43 motherboard and the computer worked like clockwork until one when he was turning on his computer and nothing happend fans start spinning bot nothing happens couldnt even get into bios. My brother called me for my help and I would come over to look at it, my first thought was the psu or something has gone bad or some wiring had got loose on the graphiccard.

I brought with me a psu that i know is still working great and changed it but it was no help. I also cleared the cmos with no luck. I tried taking the battery out to. no sucsess. Tried everything to unplugg everything from the mothearboard and try again still wont work. I took out his cpu home with me and tried it. It was no wrong with the cpu when i tried on a another motherboard that I have. Seems like a corrupt bios or something.

How do I resolve this issue for him, he is really in need of his computer.?

Sounds like you already ruled out most other options yourself.
I would also say something is wrong with the motherboard.
Better contact Inet for support, if it's a corrupt bios they have the tools to repair it.
Also if there is any other problem they should be able to fix it.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Sounds like you already ruled out most other options yourself.
I would also say something is wrong with the motherboard.
Better contact Inet for support, if it's a corrupt bios they have the tools to repair it.
Also if there is any other problem they should be able to fix it.

Hello!

Inet helped me out and got a new motherboard.
Now i got the H87m with an g3258.

I tried installing the newest bios and even revert to 1.7 update before. But somehow when i adjust the ratio in bios it all revertsback to 32. (3200mhz)
Did u disable overclocking oin the g3258 or whats up with that?

Permalänk
Skrivet av TimMy2003:

Hello!

Inet helped me out and got a new motherboard.
Now i got the H87m with an g3258.

I tried installing the newest bios and even revert to 1.7 update before. But somehow when i adjust the ratio in bios it all revertsback to 32. (3200mhz)
Did u disable overclocking oin the g3258 or whats up with that?

Which H87M motherboard do you have?

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi I bought the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 from Komplett.se as a demo motherboard I got all accessories except the Audio Power Adapter

How can I get one?

Br

Visa signatur

5600X | ROG STRIX X570-F | 4x8Gb Crucial 3600 CL16 | Sapphire Vega56 + Morpheus II | WD Black SN850 1TB | CM Silent Pro Gold 700w

Permalänk
Skrivet av MrTin:

Hi I bought the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 from Komplett.se as a demo motherboard I got all accessories except the Audio Power Adapter

http://techreport.com/r.x/msi-z97gaming7/audio.jpg

How can I get one?

Br

We don't have any spare ones and these are not sold separately. Fortunately the extra power cable isn't absolutely necessary for audio operation, just switch the AUD_SW1 switch to Onboard Power mode.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

We don't have any spare ones and these are not sold separately. Fortunately the extra power cable isn't absolutely necessary for audio operation, just switch the AUD_SW1 switch to Onboard Power mode.

´
Ok so if I want to use the "better" amp I have to mend/manufacturer a cable by myself?

Visa signatur

5600X | ROG STRIX X570-F | 4x8Gb Crucial 3600 CL16 | Sapphire Vega56 + Morpheus II | WD Black SN850 1TB | CM Silent Pro Gold 700w

Permalänk
Skrivet av MrTin:

´
Ok so if I want to use the "better" amp I have to mend/manufacturer a cable by myself?

The audio boost amplifier works in both modes (with or without direct power cable).
With the direct power cable it is possible to deliver a cleaner power to the audio circuitry on the motherboard (depends of course on the PSU in your system).

WIthout the direct power cable (onboard mode) the power goes through the 24pin power connector and through the whole motherboard.
In theory this can add noise but in practice this is negligible.

Soldering a cable might add more noise than the onboard mode.

Permalänk

The other day I bought a MSI X79A-GD45 (MS-7735 VER 1.2) for my Core i7-3820 and I can't get it to work. The computer powers on for about 5seconds, then turn itselfs off and repeat. I've tried changing RAM and PSU but that didn't help. I tried switching between the 2 BIOS, didn't help either. The Debug LED panel displays "FF" but the Manual doesn't mention what that means.
Any Ideas?

Permalänk
Skrivet av Tomtenizze-n00b:

The other day I bought a MSI X79A-GD45 (MS-7735 VER 1.2) for my Core i7-3820 and I can't get it to work. The computer powers on for about 5seconds, then turn itselfs off and repeat. I've tried changing RAM and PSU but that didn't help. I tried switching between the 2 BIOS, didn't help either. The Debug LED panel displays "FF" but the Manual doesn't mention what that means.
Any Ideas?

FF means the bios cannot be started. This can have different causes: Bios corrupt (but you already tried both bioses), CPU socket defective (check for bent pins), Motherboard defective, CPU defective.

CPU socket pins can easily bent and cause problem like this.
After checking the cpu socket pins, try booting it without anything else but the PSU, Motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler. If it still starts and doesn't go past FF, ths system is not going to boot.

If the problem persists and you still have warranty contact the shop for service.

Permalänk
Medlem

Why can't i get OC Genie to work on the setup in my signature?

I have tried it in BIOS/UEFI, i tested the On board button and via the command center software.

Visa signatur

[Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG] [ASUS ROG Strix 850W Vit] [Delidad i7 7700K] [Corsair iCUE Hydro H150i ELITE CAPELLIX Vit] [Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 16GB 3200MHz/CL16 Vit] [ASUS Z270-F] [Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super 8GB GAMING OC Vit] [C:WD Black SSD 256GB M.2, E:Seagate Firecuda 1TB, F:Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, G:Seagate IronWolf 4TB & H:Seagate Momentus XT 7200.1 500]

Permalänk
Skrivet av Ant3:

Why can't i get OC Genie to work on the setup in my signature?

I have tried it in BIOS/UEFI, i tested the On board button and via the command center software.

I can't see any reason why it would not work with that setup.

Maybe earlier bios setting conflict with the OC Genie. You could first try to load the bios defaults (in bios setup press F6) before you attempt OC Genie.
Make sure you are using the latest bios v1.6:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z97M-GAMING.html#down-bios

Memory could be one of the reasons why it doesn't work?
If you use two dimms put them in slot 2 and 4.
First I would try with only one dimms (in slot 2) though.

If that doesn't work you can only find the culprit by replacing parts (PSU, MB, CPU, memory, etc).
Reseating the CPU and reapplying the thermal paste could also help.

You can still try to overclock manually in the bios (adding Memory voltage (up to 1.65V) could help).

And keep in mind that overclocking is never guaranteed to work and you can do at your own risk.

Permalänk
Medlem

970-GAMING on Linux

I have a MSI 970-GAMING motherboard.

How well is the intergrated audio and Killer NIC working on Linux?

Visa signatur

3900X, RX 6700 XT, 32gb RGB RAM.

Permalänk
Skrivet av brainlessbob:

I have a MSI 970-GAMING motherboard.

How well is the intergrated audio and Killer NIC working on Linux?

Killer Networking does not have standard Linux drivers available but there are community drivers that seem to work but it will require some googling.

Audio solution is the widely used Realtek ALC1150, so this should be no problem.
MSI does not test or offer Linux driver support on our website but Realtek does offer Linux audio drivers on their website:
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&...

Permalänk
Medlem

I got a gaming 5 z97. Everything is awesome other than one thing. One of the stocks fan in h440 is connected in the cpu2. And i cant control the rpm on it. I had tried both in the bios and MSI commander and it still do 100%. All other fans and the cpu fan works great and can be controlled as normal. It was a demo product if u need to know.
(sry for bad English)
//Foxmaner
@Ruudt

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

I can't see any reason why it would not work with that setup.

Maybe earlier bios setting conflict with the OC Genie. You could first try to load the bios defaults (in bios setup press F6) before you attempt OC Genie.
Make sure you are using the latest bios v1.6:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z97M-GAMING.html#down-bios

Memory could be one of the reasons why it doesn't work?
If you use two dimms put them in slot 2 and 4.
First I would try with only one dimms (in slot 2) though.

If that doesn't work you can only find the culprit by replacing parts (PSU, MB, CPU, memory, etc).
Reseating the CPU and reapplying the thermal paste could also help.

You can still try to overclock manually in the bios (adding Memory voltage (up to 1.65V) could help).

And keep in mind that overclocking is never guaranteed to work and you can do at your own risk.

'

Well this kind of takes away the easy no hassle part of using the O.C Genie Button.

I might as well just do it manually then.

Visa signatur

[Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG] [ASUS ROG Strix 850W Vit] [Delidad i7 7700K] [Corsair iCUE Hydro H150i ELITE CAPELLIX Vit] [Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 16GB 3200MHz/CL16 Vit] [ASUS Z270-F] [Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super 8GB GAMING OC Vit] [C:WD Black SSD 256GB M.2, E:Seagate Firecuda 1TB, F:Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, G:Seagate IronWolf 4TB & H:Seagate Momentus XT 7200.1 500]