Motherboard related questions

Permalänk
Skrivet av daskedennis:

Hello!

I have a Z68A GD55 G3 Motherboard, that I need to update the bios on.
I use an Intel I5 2500K CPU.

Today I have version 23.2, and I borrowed a friends GPU (asus 7970 maxtrix) to use, since mine broke (Sapphire 7970), but the computer wont boot with it. (I know my friends card works fine)

can I upgrade to the latest BIOS-version directly, even though I use a Sandy Bridge CPU, not Ivy Bridge? Or should I take an earlier BIOS before the ivy bridge, like version 23,7?

Best regards, Dennis

You can update directly to the latest v25.8 bios version:
http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z68AGD55_G3.ht...

Sandy Bridge is supported on both the 23.x and 25.x bios versions (Ivy bridge only on 25.x).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

You can update directly to the latest v25.8 bios version:
http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z68AGD55_G3.ht...

Sandy Bridge is supported on both the 23.x and 25.x bios versions (Ivy bridge only on 25.x).

I tried the 23.7 version first just to be sure, but the computer still wont boot with the new GPU.

However when I try the latest version the BIOS can't find the file on the USB-stick.

Visa signatur

Ducati Streetfighter 848, -2013
Yamaha FZR 1000, -1987

Permalänk
Skrivet av daskedennis:

I tried the 23.7 version first just to be sure, but the computer still wont boot with the new GPU.

However when I try the latest version the BIOS can't find the file on the USB-stick.

Try to update the bios to the latest version using a DOS boot stick.
The easiest way to create a DOS bootable USB stick is to use Rufus:
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Once that is done copy the bios exe file to the root of the USB stick and boot the system to dos. Type the bios exe file name and press enter.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Try to update the bios to the latest version using a DOS boot stick.
The easiest way to create a DOS bootable USB stick is to use Rufus:
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Once that is done copy the bios exe file to the root of the USB stick and boot the system to dos. Type the bios exe file name and press enter.

Hello again! I appreciate all your help!

Unfortunately this doesn't work either.

I do every step as you said, but when I execute the file in DOS I get this errormessage: "The file could only be executed in USB Pen drive. Please copy the file to your USB pen drive and run the file again".

I've tried separate USB-ports, but same thing every time.

Do I have to update to ME8 as well? In that case, how?

I'm clueless.

Regards, Dennis

Visa signatur

Ducati Streetfighter 848, -2013
Yamaha FZR 1000, -1987

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi

Since the recently news about the faulty UEFI implementations in your laptops and possibly even other MSI motherboards how does MSI stand if the motherboard gets bricked because UEFI variables have been unlinked by simple remove command done on OS level or even corrupted because of powerloss.

Is this covered by warranty, and what are the options if the device is out of warranty? Will there be updates that fixes this? Also is there any list of affected devices?

News coverege on this is quite big but here is one article on this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/02/delete_efivars_linux/

Best Regards.

Visa signatur

Arch - Makepkg, not war -||- Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master -||- GSkill 64GiB DDR4 14-14-15-35-1T 3600Mhz -||- AMD 5900x-||- Gigabyte RX6900XT -||- 2x Adata XPG sx8200 Pro 1TB -||- EVGA G2 750W -||- Corsair 570x -||- O2+ODAC-||- Sennheiser HD-650 -|| Boycott EA,2K,Activision,Ubisoft,WB,EGS
Arch Linux, one hell of a distribution.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Ruudt:

I have overlooked a bios option. It is in the bios.
You should go to bios Advanced mode (F7) then go to Settings->Advanced->Power Management-> On board LED Control.
Here you can turn on/off the LEDs on the bottom of the PCB.
http://faenl.msi.com/index.php?dir=Forum/&file=Onboard_led_control.jpg

Hey i solved it. Thing is it worked all the time, however it's so vague that it's barely noticable :/

Visa signatur

Core i7 6700k, Msi Z170m mortar, 16gb Hyperx DDR4, Evga GTX 970 4gb ACX 2.0+ SSC, Corsair hydro H100i , Corsair Carbide Air 240 , Fractal Design Integra M 750w

Permalänk
Medlem

I/O shield for an old motherboard

Hey, is there any way to order an I/O-shield for an old motherboard. The mb is P67A-GD55. I tried to look on the msi webpage but i dont really found anything and there is no support site for Sweden.
Thanx in advance!!

Permalänk
Skrivet av Jompa79:

Hey, is there any way to order an I/O-shield for an old motherboard. The mb is P67A-GD55. I tried to look on the msi webpage but i dont really found anything and there is no support site for Sweden.
Thanx in advance!!

MSI doesn't offer IO shield ordering service.
I have searched my old stash but I couldn't find a suitable IO shield for P67A-GD55.

Even a IO shield shop in Germany is out of stock:
http://io-shield.de/en/io-shields/msi/atx-blende-i-o-shield-m...

Permalänk
Medlem

Help! Stuck in UEFI Shell!

Good morning,

Last night when I started up my computer it suddenly stopped after loading the BIOS in UEFI Shell with the message:

"Shell EFI Version 2.31 [4,651] - Current running fashion 1.1.2
map: can not find required map "

Though, apparently unlike many others, my BIOS works without problems. Mouse and keyboard works, but the BIOS cannot find any hard drives.

I looked around and tested the solutions I could find through Google, for example:

1. CMOS reset by removing the battery

2. Swapped the memories slots

3. Flashed the BIOS

4. Restart the computer (duh!)

5. Disabled Fast Boot (never had it running)

6. Tried to boot without hard drives

7. GPU fast boot switch on my 280x

8. Swapped the SATA ports

9. Swapped the power supply to the disks

My specification:
PSU: Cooler Master G750M
MB: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
CPU: Haswell i5-4670K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x2
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
HDDs: 1 Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB (Primary), 1 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, 1 WD 2TB SATA3

Help much appreciated.

Visa signatur

Cooler Master G750M, MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, Haswell i5-4670K, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x2, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5, 840 EVO 120GB, 850 EVO 250GB

Permalänk
Skrivet av GREBSSOM:

Good morning,

Last night when I started up my computer it suddenly stopped after loading the BIOS in UEFI Shell with the message:

"Shell EFI Version 2.31 [4,651] - Current running fashion 1.1.2
map: can not find required map "

Though, apparently unlike many others, my BIOS works without problems. Mouse and keyboard works, but the BIOS cannot find any hard drives.

I looked around and tested the solutions I could find through Google, for example:

1. CMOS reset by removing the battery

2. Swapped the memories slots

3. Flashed the BIOS

4. Restart the computer (duh!)

5. Disabled Fast Boot (never had it running)

6. Tried to boot without hard drives

7. GPU fast boot switch on my 280x

8. Swapped the SATA ports

9. Swapped the power supply to the disks

My specification:
PSU: Cooler Master G750M
MB: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
CPU: Haswell i5-4670K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x2
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
HDDs: 1 Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB (Primary), 1 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, 1 WD 2TB SATA3

Help much appreciated.

Check if your primary SSD is properly detected in the bios (Bios Setup-> Settings -> Syste Status -> SATA Port).

If that is all right, check if the following setting exists:
Bios setup -> Settings -> BOOT -> UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities
If it does select Boot Option 1 to "Windows Boot Manager".

If it doesn't exist check if the primary harddisk is listed at the fixed Boot Order preferences:
Bios Setup -> Settings -> Boot

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Check if your primary SSD is properly detected in the bios (Bios Setup-> Settings -> Syste Status -> SATA Port).

If that is all right, check if the following setting exists:
Bios setup -> Settings -> BOOT -> UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities
If it does select Boot Option 1 to "Windows Boot Manager".

If it doesn't exist check if the primary harddisk is listed at the fixed Boot Order preferences:
Bios Setup -> Settings -> Boot

BIOS doesn't detect any of my 3 disks and i don't have that Boot Option. I have UEFI + Legacy or UEFI and therefore the Boot order only has the boot options "UEFI Hard" disk or just "Hard disk". None of my drives appear unfortunately.

Visa signatur

Cooler Master G750M, MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, Haswell i5-4670K, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x2, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5, 840 EVO 120GB, 850 EVO 250GB

Permalänk
Skrivet av GREBSSOM:

BIOS doesn't detect any of my 3 disks and i don't have that Boot Option. I have UEFI + Legacy or UEFI and therefore the Boot order only has the boot options "UEFI Hard" disk or just "Hard disk". None of my drives appear unfortunately.

Then I would first try a minimal setup.
Only connect:
PSU+ MB + CPU + CPU Cooler + memory + Primary SSD + Keyboard and mouse and then load Bios defaults to see if it can detect and boot from primary SDD.
(also check power cable to SSD and SATA cable)

If it still doesn't detect and/or boot from the SSD, you could test the SSD in another system to see if it is still all right.
Of course the motherboard could be broken.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi, im planning to upgrade to broadwell-e when they come. Now i found a great deal on a x99s sli plus motherboard. As i dont own a cpu for this socket, i was wondering if flashing bios is possible without a cpu? some other manufacture offers it but i could not find any info on your homepage regarding this.

Visa signatur

Gaming: i7 8700k@4.9Ghz | MSI Z370 Tomahawk | 3080 Tuf oc | Gskill 4X4gb@3Ghz | 1.2 TB med ssd's | Evga 1000 P2

Permalänk

Hi! My X99S ACK 9 Has the message AF-60-55-04, does that mean that my motherboard is dead and needs a rma or is there an easy fix?

Visa signatur

Hej

Permalänk
Skrivet av Milansson:

Hi! My X99S ACK 9 Has the message AF-60-55-04, does that mean that my motherboard is dead and needs a rma or is there an easy fix?

Looks like a memory issue.
First try clearing the bios settings (clearing the CMOS) with the button on the back IO panel.
If that doesn't help try reseating the memories or try only one dimm in Dimm slot 1.

You can also try reseating the CPU and check the cpu socket pins and clean the contact on the cpu.

If that doesn't work you should try different memory (if necessary contact the shop for service).

Permalänk

@Ruudt: Ive done all of that, even tried my RAM and CPU in another motherboard an they worked there.

Visa signatur

Hej

Permalänk
Skrivet av Milansson:

@Ruudt: Ive done all of that, even tried my RAM and CPU in another motherboard an they worked there.

What bios version are you using? We had a memory compatibility issue with Bios v2.6 (the bios has been pulled form the website now).
Can you update to bios v2.7?

(If the first bios doens't boot with your memory, you could try the second bios with BIOS1 switch)

If that doesn't help, you should contact the shop for service.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Ruudt:

What bios version are you using? We had a memory compatibility issue with Bios v2.6 (the bios has been pulled form the website now).
Can you update to bios v2.7?

(If the first bios doens't boot with your memory, you could try the second bios with BIOS1 switch)

If that doesn't help, you should contact the shop for service.

How do I update bios when the PC refuses to stay on for more than 6 seconds? I tried with the bios switch and it didn't work. Ive read about the problem and in some cases the motherboard took the RAM and CPU to its grave aswell....

My CPU and RAM works now but Im scared that if I turn on the PC again it might kill them.

Visa signatur

Hej

Permalänk
Skrivet av Milansson:

How do I update bios when the PC refuses to stay on for more than 6 seconds? I tried with the bios switch and it didn't work. Ive read about the problem and in some cases the motherboard took the RAM and CPU to its grave aswell....

My CPU and RAM works now but Im scared that if I turn on the PC again it might kill them.

You should not believe those horror stories on the internet.
Bios memory timings for some memory sets were set wrongly in bios v2.6, it won't kill your CPU or memory.

If you can't boot your system you can't update the bios.
You can try to borrow other memory modules or contact the shop for service.

Permalänk
Medlem

@Ruudt: Hey! Do you know when the MSI x99a xpower gaming titanium will be available in Sweden. The stores seem to postpone the availability all the time...

Visa signatur

#1: Z370N ITX | i7 8700k | GTX 1080 | 32GiB
#2: P8Z77-M pro | i7 3770k | GTX 1050ti | 16GiB

Server: Z370-G | i5 8600T | 64GiB | UnRAID 6.9.2 | 130TB
Smartphone: Samsung Z Flip 5 | Android 13 | Shure SE535

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi. I recently tried building a computer with an i5 6600k, vengeance 2666mhz 2x8, z170 M7 and corsair RM750x.
The computer powered on then restarted twice and now no longer powers on. XMP_LED is turned on constantly (not blinking, always on) I've tried starting up without RAM, slot 1, slot (1,2), 3, (3,4) and (2,3) but it just won't turn on.
I'm completely stuck. Do you know anything that might help me?

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi @Ruudt, iv'e bought a MSI Z170a Gaming M7 for about 2 months ago and everything worked fine until a couple of days ago when i startet to hear an annoying sound and i located the sound to somewhere around the CPU-socket wich means a tirrible coilwhine. And the thing is that is is't sometimes, it's a constant lowfrequent buzzing noise and it get's worse when i do something that stresses the CPU.

Is that a thing i need to live with or is it a case of RMA that will get me a working motherboard?

Best Regards
Marcus

Visa signatur

🏬: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master 🔲: AMD Ryzen R5 5600X ❄️: Cooler Master Hyper212 BE 🏴: ASUS RX 6700 XT DUAL
🗄️: Fractal Define 7 Compact 🔌: EVGA B5 850W 🎞️: 32GB HyperX Beast 3600Mhz 💾: Crucial 512 GB
🖥️: ROG STRIX XG27WQ 🖱️: Corsair Scimitar RGB Elite ⌨️: K70 RGB TKL CHAMPION SERIES 🎧: Corsair H55 📶: Archer C80

Permalänk
Skrivet av qaaka:

Hi. I recently tried building a computer with an i5 6600k, vengeance 2666mhz 2x8, z170 M7 and corsair RM750x.
The computer powered on then restarted twice and now no longer powers on. XMP_LED is turned on constantly (not blinking, always on) I've tried starting up without RAM, slot 1, slot (1,2), 3, (3,4) and (2,3) but it just won't turn on.
I'm completely stuck. Do you know anything that might help me?

If it doesn't turn on anymore (without dimms) the PSU is probably in over-current protection modus. You should unplug the 240V AC cable a while and try again (first without dimms).

If it was the first time you powered on the system, please first try to clear CMOS wiht the clear CMOS button on the I/O panel.

If that doesn't help, I would try the motherboard outside the case and see if that makes a difference.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Gyhlen:

Hi @Ruudt, iv'e bought a MSI Z170a Gaming M7 for about 2 months ago and everything worked fine until a couple of days ago when i startet to hear an annoying sound and i located the sound to somewhere around the CPU-socket wich means a tirrible coilwhine. And the thing is that is is't sometimes, it's a constant lowfrequent buzzing noise and it get's worse when i do something that stresses the CPU.

Is that a thing i need to live with or is it a case of RMA that will get me a working motherboard?

Best Regards
Marcus

Coil whine is something subjective. Some claim it's loud while other might hardly hear it.
Coil whine should not be annoyingly present, if thatt happens you should be able to get a replacement through RMA via the shop.
This should be judged on per-case situation, so I would suggest to demonstrate the problem to the shop (if possible) and let them judge it.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello @Ruudt and MSI
I purchased a Z170A Carbon Pro, but the I/O Shield-thingie, the little piece of metallic that covers the gap, got destroyed.

Is it possible to purchase a new from you?

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Borked:

Hello @Ruudt and MSI
I purchased a Z170A Carbon Pro, but the I/O Shield-thingie, the little piece of metallic that covers the gap, got destroyed.

Is it possible to purchase a new from you?

Just a few post up this thread:

Skrivet av Ruudt:

MSI doesn't offer IO shield ordering service.
I have searched my old stash but I couldn't find a suitable IO shield for P67A-GD55.

Even a IO shield shop in Germany is out of stock:
http://io-shield.de/en/io-shields/msi/atx-blende-i-o-shield-m...

Visa signatur

Main: 9900k @ 5.0GHz | 16GB @ 3400MHz CL15 | RTX 2080 @ 2100/16200MHz 12378 Time Spy
HTPC: R5 3600 @ 4.2 | 16GB @ 3600MHz CL18 | GTX 1080 @ 2088/11006MHz 8039 Time Spy

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Zunil:

Just a few post up this thread:

Gigabyte did this for their customers.
I'm already regretting buying a new expensive motherboard and a very expensive gpu from msi, should this be the case.

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Permalänk
Administrativ avgift

@Ruudt Hello I needed to flash my motherboard to support my new 3770k and now it wont boot up. Just constant rebooting, is there a way to force it to use 2nd bios chip? (DUal bios) cause right now it doesnt give me any led which say there is no fault on the bios.

Any help will be appreciated. I did the live update with your software I hope you guys can save me

Visa signatur

Loque Raw s1| 7950x3D | B650-i | 2x16GB DDR5 CL30@6000 | 2TB m.2 | 4090 TUF | Samsung G9 49 | Vive Focus 3

Permalänk
Medlem

I emailed msi a few weeks back, and today I got my shiny new I/O shield in the mail.

!!

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Permalänk

MSI 100 Series ready for new processors (?)

Dear MSI

On Thursday 29 of September you officially announced news on your website saying "MSI 100 Series motherboards now fully support Intel next-generation LGA-1151 processors" and you go on to say ... all current MSI 100 series chipset motherboards fully support the next generation LGA 1151 socket processors. Also in the article is included a list of motherboard models: "List of MSI Z170/B150/H110 GAMING models and BIOS version"

My question to you is: Will ALL your Z170 motherboards actually be updated through bios to support next generation LGA 1151 intel cpu:s or is it only the "gaming" labeled models included in your list? What about motherboard like Z170A-G43 PLUS, will you release a bios update for this model?

Thank you in advance!