Permalänk
Medlem

4G directional antenna advice

Hej!

After my mother passed away I inherited her house in the highland forests of middle Sweden.
Since I am from the Netherlands my grasp of the Swedish language is insufficient so I will ask my question in English to prevent any misunderstanding.
My mother had 4G mobile broadband from Teracom (prior Net1) and now Teracom has decided to disband all mobile broadband services to private users.
I therefore had to subscribe to mobile broadband from Tele2 but since Teracom used a lower frequency (450 MHz), I will have to also purchase a new directional antenna to mount on the roof in order to optimize the signal reception.
The Tele2 router operates on the frequencies 800Mhz , 900Mhz,1800Mhz, 2600Mhz so I am looking for an antenna that covers those frequencies.

What I am looking for is advice on which antenna to buy that is best suitable for my situation, since my mother’s house is in the remote woodland hills. Therefore I need the antenna to be very efficient since signals are not strong in this isolated region.
There is only 1 hole for a cable to pass through into the house so I think a double cable Mimo antenna is not a possibility unfortunately (unless there is a cable that unifies 2 cables into one?)
Also if anyone has suggestions on Swedish webshops for 4G antennas that have a good price/quality proportion then please let me know.

Many thanks for any help given!

Permalänk

Can't really contribute as to what antenna to buy, but if you need a double cable antenna why not just drill another hole? I apologize if i missed something obvious

Visa signatur

Min burk: GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Aorus Master, CPU: Ryzen 7 7700X, Moderkort: ASUS TUF B650M, Chassi: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX, Skärm: Gigabyte G34WQC

Permalänk
Medlem

Something to think about is keeping the antenna cables as short as absolutely possible. You could have a super great antenna with 15m of cable perform worse than an average antenna with short cables, due to losses. I'm using a Poynting XPOL2-5G which is sort of a directional antenna, just not a "yagi" type. It does use 2 cables, which in my understanding the most performing antennas do.

Second thing is to get a modem/router with possibilities of changing bands (and preferably configure carrier aggregation). I use a Huawei B535-333. I actually got two of these (one is the earlier -232), however the newer one performs even better than the old one due to a different modem. To configure the modem I use an application called HuaCtrl (android application). It allows me to configure which bands to connect to and it also simplified installation quite a bit. Spent quite some time on the roof adjusting the antenna, using the graphs in the application to aid as where to point it.

I have 4 cell towers to choose from, only one of them gives decent speeds (and happens to be the one furthest away, about 2,5km). I'm using 700MHz band with 2600MHz as CA. Note that usually only one band (the primary) is used for upload only.

Another thing to note is that different towers usually use different frequencies. A year ago or so it was possible to look up the cell tower locations on a map, however due to physical sabotage (IIUC) the carriers removed that information from their publicly available maps.

The Poynting antenna mentioned covers the used frequencies btw + 5G frequencies. I think Dustin sells the modem+antenna as a pack these days, for a discounted price.

Links to what I'm using:
https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5011165791/xpol-2-5g-riktan...
https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5011229706/b535-tradlos-4g-...

Visa signatur

Citera mig för svar.
Arch Linux

Permalänk
Medlem

Is there a reason to why you choose Tele2 and not a operator on Telias network? (Telia usually has a lot better coverage in remote areas)

Visa signatur

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: TUF Gaming X570-PLUS GPU: GTX 980 RAM: 32 GB 3200 MHz Chassi: R4 PSU: Corsair AX860 Hörlurar: SteelSeries 840 Mus: Logitech G502 Lightspeed V.v. nämn eller citera mig för att få svar.

Permalänk
Medlem

Telia will probably have better reception in remote areas.
Search for "täckningskartor"+internet provider for your area. They are usually quite true to reality.

https://www.telia.se/privat/support/tackningskartor

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Dimman:

Something to think about is keeping the antenna cables as short as absolutely possible. You could have a super great antenna with 15m of cable perform worse than an average antenna with short cables, due to losses. I'm using a Poynting XPOL2-5G which is sort of a directional antenna, just not a "yagi" type. It does use 2 cables, which in my understanding the most performing antennas do.

Second thing is to get a modem/router with possibilities of changing bands (and preferably configure carrier aggregation). I use a Huawei B535-333. I actually got two of these (one is the earlier -232), however the newer one performs even better than the old one due to a different modem. To configure the modem I use an application called HuaCtrl (android application). It allows me to configure which bands to connect to and it also simplified installation quite a bit. Spent quite some time on the roof adjusting the antenna, using the graphs in the application to aid as where to point it.

I have 4 cell towers to choose from, only one of them gives decent speeds (and happens to be the one furthest away, about 2,5km). I'm using 700MHz band with 2600MHz as CA. Note that usually only one band (the primary) is used for upload only.

Another thing to note is that different towers usually use different frequencies. A year ago or so it was possible to look up the cell tower locations on a map, however due to physical sabotage (IIUC) the carriers removed that information from their publicly available maps.

The Poynting antenna mentioned covers the used frequencies btw + 5G frequencies. I think Dustin sells the modem+antenna as a pack these days, for a discounted price.

Links to what I'm using:
https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5011165791/xpol-2-5g-riktan...
https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5011229706/b535-tradlos-4g-...

Thank you for your advice and explanation!
Since the top of the roof where the antenna would be installed is quite high, I will have to use at least a 10 meter cable to connect it to inside.

With regard to the Poynting XPOL-2-5G Directional antenna, would it work by connecting only one antenna cable to the router for the time being until I find a solution to bring a second cable into the house next summer?
Also, would you say this is the most efficient and most capable antenna in that price range?

Ah I wondered about the signal towers in my area since a friend of mine tried to look them up but couldn't find them online anymore.
That sucks, now I will have to just try to search for the strongest signal direction myself I guess

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Haptic:

Is there a reason to why you choose Tele2 and not a operator on Telias network? (Telia usually has a lot better coverage in remote areas)

Since I am Dutch and do not earn my income within Sweden, Telia refused my application for a subscription twice on the basis of a credit check and wouldn't take into consideration that my income comes from the Netherlands. So I gave up and went to Tele2, which sucks but hopefully Tele2 signal will be sufficient.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Chibariku:

Telia will probably have better reception in remote areas.
Search for "täckningskartor"+internet provider for your area. They are usually quite true to reality.

https://www.telia.se/privat/support/tackningskartor

Since I am Dutch and do not earn my income within Sweden, Telia refused my application for a subscription twice on the basis of a credit check and wouldn't take into consideration that my income comes from the Netherlands. So I gave up and went to Tele2, which sucks but hopefully the Tele2 4G signal will be sufficient.

Permalänk
Medlem

@Cyberian hmm.

Use your smartphone outside with a prepay card from the two providers (Halebop and Comviq), make sure you get the right sim cards that have some amount of mobile data on them. You can buy the sim cards in different places, coffee shops, gas stations etc. If you are lucky you will get good speeds and might not need a externa antennas. Perhaps it will be good enough by placing the 4G router in a window facing the mobile mast.

You can also use your smartphone when driving around looking for the masts in the area and checking your phone to monitor your smartphone connection. Try to figure out where the masts are and what providers use them. There is no point in getting a 4G router, external antennas and doing all that work before you know how good connection is at your house. You could also get onto the roof to check, not something I would do right now as it is winter and dangerous with all the snow.

Halebop use Telias network
Comviq use Tele2 network

There are other providers that will give you more data for a better price etc. But start with the two above. If they do not work you could try Hallon (Tre network) or Vimla (Telenor network).

https://www.induo.com/s/g/mobilnat/vilka-mobiloperatorer-dela...

https://www.mobilabonnemang.se/

If this does not work you will need some sort of external 4G antenna for better reception. Perhaps something like this is good enough. You could mount it outside close to the window as I am sure you could do some handy work to get that cable inside and connect it to the 4G router.

https://www.kjell.com/se/produkter/natverk/mobilt-bredband/an...

https://www.kjell.com/se/produkter/ljud-bild/antenner-tillbeh...

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Cyberian:

Thank you for your advice and explanation!
Since the top of the roof where the antenna would be installed is quite high, I will have to use at least a 10 meter cable to connect it to inside.

With regard to the Poynting XPOL-2-5G Directional antenna, would it work by connecting only one antenna cable to the router for the time being until I find a solution to bring a second cable into the house next summer?
Also, would you say this is the most efficient and most capable antenna in that price range?

Ah I wondered about the signal towers in my area since a friend of mine tried to look them up but couldn't find them online anymore.
That sucks, now I will have to just try to search for the strongest signal direction myself I guess

I have my 4G modem/router placed in the attic. The linked antenna has 5m coaxial cable permanently attached to it. If you look at the pictures you’ll see that there are two cables. There is a version with two N-type connectors on the antenna instead of a fixed cable. It’s quite a lot cheaper as well, but you’ll need to buy your own high quality cables. Again, I would strongly recommend avoiding anything longer than 5m for antenna cables.

If possible, mount the modem/router as close as possible to the antenna and then run longer network cables.

I don’t know if it’s the best one tbh, but I’m happy with the performance and it works fine for me It’s pretty neat and easy to install.

Visa signatur

Citera mig för svar.
Arch Linux

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Dimman:

I have my 4G modem/router placed in the attic. The linked antenna has 5m coaxial cable permanently attached to it. If you look at the pictures you’ll see that there are two cables. There is a version with two N-type connectors on the antenna instead of a fixed cable. It’s quite a lot cheaper as well, but you’ll need to buy your own high quality cables. Again, I would strongly recommend avoiding anything longer than 5m for antenna cables.

If possible, mount the modem/router as close as possible to the antenna and then run longer network cables.

I don’t know if it’s the best one tbh, but I’m happy with the performance and it works fine for me It’s pretty neat and easy to install.

Ah thanks, I will consider placing my router on the second floor, closest to the roof.
With regard to high quality antenna cables, what specifications to be cognisant of that indicate a higher quality?
Oh, and I couldn't find this info on the webpage but what type of connectors are there on the Huawei B535-333 for the external antennas?
Thanks again for the help!

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Cyberian:

Ah thanks, I will consider placing my router on the second floor, closest to the roof.
With regard to high quality antenna cables, what specifications to be cognisant of that indicate a higher quality?
Oh, and I couldn't find this info on the webpage but what type of connectors are there on the Huawei B535-333 for the external antennas?

It doesn't seem to support external antennas.

https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=5741379#properties

Permalänk
Medlem

My suggestion is to look at a MikroTik solution. https://www.routerboard.se/5glte3g/68-sxt-lte6-kit.html]This[/url] will work good for Your need. Add a Cat 6 network cable for outdoor use and a mid price router.

Visa signatur

Varit med i datorvärlden sedan början på 70 talet. Telegrupp chef i Marinen, Jobbat med Xerox 800 ordbehandlings maskiner när det begav sig. PC-nisse sedan mitten av 80 talet. Raffinaderi inspektör sedan 1980.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av KjellO:

My suggestion is to look at a MikroTik solution. https://www.routerboard.se/5glte3g/68-sxt-lte6-kit.html]This[/url] will work good for Your need. Add a Cat 6 network cable for outdoor use and a mid price router.

VARFÖR har dom monterat "Ethernet 10/100 Ethernet ports 2st" ingen mening med CAT 6 då, nä köp inte detta, det tillhör elektonikskroten

on English:
WHY have they mounted "Ethernet 10/100 Ethernet ports 2pcs" no meaning with CAT 6 then, no do not buy this, it belongs to the electronic scrap

God Jul

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Cyberian:

The basic criteria is as low attenuation as possible per meter. Signals will degrade within the coax cable, usually refered to as signal loss in the cable, measures in dB (just as sound). 3dB loss is basically cutting the signal quality in half. The actuall loss is usually frequency dependent, meaning that the loss differs. Could be like from 0,25dB/m for 900MHz to 0,7dB/m for a couple GHz signal. You see then that using a long antenna cable will degrade your signal a lot, hence why it’s super important to keep them short.

Here’s the antenna with two N-type connectors: https://www.dustin.se/product/5011291035/xpol-2-5g-riktantenn...

Note that the modem takes SMA if I remember correctly, so you’ll need a cable with that in one end and N-type in the other. It’s possible that Poynting sells suiting cables, I’ll leave that for you to check (EDIT: The XPOL-2-5G antenna with fixed cables have 2xSMA male connectors on it and it plugs directly in to the modem/router, so that ’s what you need on one end.)

My recommendation for the Huawei modem (/router) is based solely on the fact that it’s the only one that I know of where its possible to configure frequencies/bands (then it’s a bonus it works reliably and good, from personal experience). If someone else knows of another modem/router where that is possible, I would also very much like to know.

Visa signatur

Citera mig för svar.
Arch Linux

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Dimman:

The basic criteria is as low attenuation as possible per meter. Signals will degrade within the coax cable, usually refered to as signal loss in the cable, measures in dB (just as sound). 3dB loss is basically cutting the signal quality in half. The actuall loss is usually frequency dependent, meaning that the loss differs. Could be like from 0,25dB/m for 900MHz to 0,7dB/m for a couple GHz signal. You see then that using a long antenna cable will degrade your signal a lot, hence why it’s super important to keep them short.

Here’s the antenna with two N-type connectors: https://www.dustin.se/product/5011291035/xpol-2-5g-riktantenn...

Note that the modem takes SMA if I remember correctly, so you’ll need a cable with that in one end and N-type in the other. It’s possible that Poynting sells suiting cables, I’ll leave that for you to check (EDIT: The XPOL-2-5G antenna with fixed cables have 2xSMA male connectors on it and it plugs directly in to the modem/router, so that ’s what you need on one end.)

My recommendation for the Huawei modem (/router) is based solely on the fact that it’s the only one that I know of where its possible to configure frequencies/bands (then it’s a bonus it works reliably and good, from personal experience). If someone else knows of another modem/router where that is possible, I would also very much like to know.

Awesome! I am going for the XPOL-2-5G + Huawei B535-333 with CNT 400 Ultra Low Loss cables.
Thanks again for all your help and wishing you a very merry Gott Jul!

Permalänk
Medlem

@Cyberian there are no issues placing a 4G router (or any router) outside in a cold attic, even during winter. The most important part is that the weather and rain can not get to the device. You will need a 230v outlet for the AC-adapter. This is how I use a mounted AP with two antennas. One is a regular one and the other is connected to a outside 2.4Ghz antenna, the cable is 3m long with a RP-SMA connector to a N-connector. It is possible to connect a outdoor AP directly to the antenna but then i would loose most of the signal inside the house, I wanted a mix of both even if I loose out on some signal strength for the WiFi.

In short, it is best to keep the 4G antenna, cable, 4G router etc as close together a possible. You can always fix the LAN or WiFi side with different tools and gadgets if you need better coverage etc.

Merry Christmas