Notebook and tablet related questions

Permalänk
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

Hi Plasmatic,

It has an TN panel.
It is made from Aluminium/Magnesium alloy.
The backplate is removable to replace/swap parts without voiding warranty.. keep in mind that when you do and the notebook comes in, RMA team will take closer look if the defect is not caused by your upgrade.
Battery is not removable.

BR,
Bart

So I recieved my laptop today, but it is Not maxwell, it is based on GK104, which is Kepler. and according to the retailer, it's model number was GS70 2PC-285NE

But they recently added a new GS70, the GS70 2PC-616NE.

Is that the one you were refering to with Maxwell? It seems to have the exact same specs as the GS70 2PC-285NE only it's more expensive.

Visa signatur

R I P
PSU:XFX PRO750W (tog sitt egna liv tillsammans med moderkortet)
Chassi:Obsidian 550D Moderkort:Asus P8Z68 PRO/GEN3 Processor:Intel i5 2500K 4,3Ghz (kyld av Noctua U12P) Ramminne:16Gb Kingston Hyperx 1600Mhz Grafikkort:MSI Twin Frozr V GTX 970

Permalänk
Skrivet av Plasmatic:

So I recieved my laptop today, but it is Not maxwell, it is based on GK104, which is Kepler. and according to the retailer, it's model number was GS70 2PC-285NE

But they recently added a new GS70, the GS70 2PC-616NE.

Is that the one you were refering to with Maxwell? It seems to have the exact same specs as the GS70 2PC-285NE only it's more expensive.

Hi Plasmatic,

According to our inventory system it should have a maxwell GPU.. can you show me a screenshot then we will investigate.

Thanks in advance.

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

Hi Plasmatic,

According to our inventory system it should have a maxwell GPU.. can you show me a screenshot then we will investigate.

Thanks in advance.

BR,
Bart

It's probably just a case that the retailer mislabeled it.

http://i.imgur.com/62OwfPa.png

Dold text

The site is in Swedish so it might be hard to understand, but I marked the Graphics card and the model number with a black box.

First thing I did when I got home was run GPU-Z on it and it shows the 860m being based on GK104. unfortunately I've already reset the computer to the factory settings in order to be able to return it tomorrow.

If required I could set it up again and get a screenshot of GPU-Z.

I assume it's all just a big misunderstanding and the retailer (komplett.se) has just mislabeled the model number.

But back to my other question, what is the difference between the 2PC 285NE and the 2PC 616NE?

Thank you for your time and quick responses.

EDIT: So, the actual box says 285NE and the computers serial code on the underside say 285NE, but the computer has the Kepler architecture?

Something doesn't add up.

Visa signatur

R I P
Chassi:Obsidian 550D Moderkort:Asus P8Z68 PRO/GEN3 Processor:Intel i5 2500K 4,3Ghz (kyld av Noctua U12P) Ramminne:16Gb Kingston Hyperx 1600Mhz Grafikkort:MSI Twin Frozr V GTX 970

Permalänk
Skrivet av Plasmatic:

It's probably just a case that the retailer mislabeled it.

The site is in Swedish so it might be hard to understand, but I marked the Graphics card and the model number with a black box.

First thing I did when I got home was run GPU-Z on it and it shows the 860m being based on GK104. unfortunately I've already reset the computer to the factory settings in order to be able to return it tomorrow.

If required I could set it up again and get a screenshot of GPU-Z.

I assume it's all just a big misunderstanding and the retailer (komplett.se) has just mislabeled the model number.

But back to my other question, what is the difference between the 2PC 285NE and the 2PC 616NE?

Thank you for your time and quick responses.

EDIT: So, the actual box says 285NE and the computers serial code on the underside say 285NE, but the computer has the Kepler architecture?

Something doesn't add up.

Komplett is listing it correct.. the GS70 2PC-285NE has an 860M .. can you give me the serial number? as as you mentioned something doesn't add up..

Permalänk
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

Komplett is listing it correct.. the GS70 2PC-285NE has an 860M .. can you give me the serial number? as as you mentioned something doesn't add up..

Dold text

That is the label on the side of the box (which I assume is MSI's marking)

It is the same as on the bottom of the laptop.

Visa signatur

R I P

Permalänk

Hi! I'm very interested in the new MSI GE62 Apache, Any info on when it'll be available in Sweden? Also wondering if it has a TN or IPS panel? Or something else?

Visa signatur

/ Tidigare: Dr.Pez /
Stationär:- Lian Li o11 - Asus B450F Gaming II - Ryzen 9 3900X - Kingston HyperX 3200mhz 4x8GB - Corsair RM750x - RX 6900 XT - Custom Loop -
Bärbar: Dell Latitude 5290
Monitor: Acer X34 + Asus PB278Q Lurar: Sennheiser HD599

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi! I have a GE 70 2PE Apache pro that I bought in June.
Lately the screen goes "blurry" from time to time (white / grey disturbance vertically all over) lasting a short while but it's damn annoying.
If you gently "jank" the screen, like closing but very little, most of the time the disturbance stops only to start again short after...
My dad drove down to Infocare (to save time) with it and asked them to fix it(we suspected it to be an easy problem like bad connected cables) but when the technician looked at it he said that the main board (his words) had to be replaced.
Today, a week later, I got it back and according to Infocare they had repaired it and tested it...
I started it up and started a game, LoL in this case, and in matter of minutes the same problem Infocare claimed to have fixed showed is ugly face, even worse then before...
So my question is: What can I do now? The laptop isn't that much used and just 6 months old!
After all its not the cheapest laptop, set me back about 13.000:-, and I expected it to work for at least a few years..
Here's how it looks:
http://1drv.ms/1Bx8qlT

Visa signatur

En såndär datormaskin

Permalänk
Skrivet av tottz00:

Hi! I have a GE 70 2PE Apache pro that I bought in June.
Lately the screen goes "blurry" from time to time (white / grey disturbance vertically all over) lasting a short while but it's damn annoying.
If you gently "jank" the screen, like closing but very little, most of the time the disturbance stops only to start again short after...
My dad drove down to Infocare (to save time) with it and asked them to fix it(we suspected it to be an easy problem like bad connected cables) but when the technician looked at it he said that the main board (his words) had to be replaced.
Today, a week later, I got it back and according to Infocare they had repaired it and tested it...
I started it up and started a game, LoL in this case, and in matter of minutes the same problem Infocare claimed to have fixed showed is ugly face, even worse then before...
So my question is: What can I do now? The laptop isn't that much used and just 6 months old!
After all its not the cheapest laptop, set me back about 13.000:-, and I expected it to work for at least a few years..
Here's how it looks:
http://1drv.ms/1Bx8qlT

Well it's clear that the notebook is not fixed yet.
Please contact Infocare again to fix it properly this time. Please mention it is a second return (then they should look at it extra carefully).

It's unfortunate but it happens. Sometimes it looks like it's an easy repair and you just have to replace one part and then it should be fixed but it could also be a second part that is bad, which doesn't show in the initial tests and then you will end up like this.

I agree with you, it looks like cable problem to me (especially if moving the lid changes the behavior of the screen).

If Infocare is unable to fix it after a couple of tries they need to offer you an alternative.

Permalänk
Medlem

Indeed... It's actually worse then before!
I contacted Infocare again and is waiting for their response.
Another question though: Shouldn't this laptop run most games without problems like low FPS? Even Minecraft is lagging... Tried the Evolve beta but had to play on lowest resolution in order to get somewhat ok flow. (however previous mentioned problem totally killed the experience.. ) I'm starting to suspect it actually might be a graphic card problem too. Did a total factory reset today and I obviously have to send it back for another go thru and hopefully they can fix it this time

Visa signatur

En såndär datormaskin

Permalänk
Skrivet av tottz00:

Indeed... It's actually worse then before!
I contacted Infocare again and is waiting for their response.
Another question though: Shouldn't this laptop run most games without problems like low FPS? Even Minecraft is lagging... Tried the Evolve beta but had to play on lowest resolution in order to get somewhat ok flow. (however previous mentioned problem totally killed the experience.. ) I'm starting to suspect it actually might be a graphic card problem too. Did a total factory reset today and I obviously have to send it back for another go thru and hopefully they can fix it this time

About the gaming performance I don't have first hand experience with Evolve or Minecraft.
Sinde the GE70 2PE supports Nividia Optimus, you should check if the games are picked up by the driver and selects the Nvidia GPU for it.
Go to Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> Select a program to Customize:

Select the game you want to customize or add the game.

For Minecraft I have read that you also need to add Java:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/755275/geforce-mobil...

For Evolve I could only find this benchmark (still Alpha version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY6RRGXwtrE
Seems that this game is too tasking for a GTX 860M at 1080p.

I hope this helps.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

About the gaming performance I don't have first hand experience with Evolve or Minecraft.
Sinde the GE70 2PE supports Nividia Optimus, you should check if the games are picked up by the driver and selects the Nvidia GPU for it.
Go to Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> Select a program to Customize:

Select the game you want to customize or add the game.

For Minecraft I have read that you also need to add Java:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/755275/geforce-mobil...

For Evolve I could only find this benchmark (still Alpha version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY6RRGXwtrE
Seems that this game is too tasking for a GTX 860M at 1080p.

I hope this helps.

I sent it back to Infocare yesterday after explaining the errors to them again, hopefully they are able to fix the problem(s) this time.

Yes, i know Minecraft requires Java, but it should run smooth on this laptop.
Evolve is demanding and is still in testing, however i think it should run smooth on higher resolution then the absolute lowest (which btw didnt help that much)

LoL runs on 20-30fps which is way to low, but when using Razor Cortex i came up to ~130 fps, so something is wrong here...

I'll go thru all settings etc once more when i get it back from Infocare and see if that does the trick.
Do you think f.e MSI Afterburner could be something for me to consider?
Any other tips or tweaks you can recommend?

Last que: is it possible to change GPU on this laptop and if so how much better is gtx 870M?
Worth considering?

Visa signatur

En såndär datormaskin

Permalänk
Skrivet av tottz00:

I sent it back to Infocare yesterday after explaining the errors to them again, hopefully they are able to fix the problem(s) this time.

Yes, i know Minecraft requires Java, but it should run smooth on this laptop.
Evolve is demanding and is still in testing, however i think it should run smooth on higher resolution then the absolute lowest (which btw didnt help that much)

LoL runs on 20-30fps which is way to low, but when using Razor Cortex i came up to ~130 fps, so something is wrong here...

I'll go thru all settings etc once more when i get it back from Infocare and see if that does the trick.
Do you think f.e MSI Afterburner could be something for me to consider?
Any other tips or tweaks you can recommend?

Last que: is it possible to change GPU on this laptop and if so how much better is gtx 870M?
Worth considering?

League of Legends should run 60+fps all the time at 1080p highest settings. 130fps seems to be right. Anything lower than 60fps you are probably running on Intel integrated graphics or you notebook has other issues.
If it runs smoothly with Razer cortex, it probably just sets up the Nvidia Optimus as it should be. So the GPU should be fine.
I would rather use the Geforce Experience for game optimizations. Razer Cortex might interfere with MSI Dragon Gaming Center software.

On a MSI notebook you can tell if the Nvidia GPU is active when the power LED turns from blue to orange (orange =Nvidia GPU, blue=Intel IGP).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

League of Legends should run 60+fps all the time at 1080p highest settings. 130fps seems to be right. Anything lower than 60fps you are probably running on Intel integrated graphics or you notebook has other issues.
If it runs smoothly with Razer cortex, it probably just sets up the Nvidia Optimus as it should be. So the GPU should be fine.
I would rather use the Geforce Experience for game optimizations. Razer Cortex might interfere with MSI Dragon Gaming Center software.

On a MSI notebook you can tell if the Nvidia GPU is active when the power LED turns from blue to orange (orange =Nvidia GPU, blue=Intel IGP).

Now it's back from Infocare and it looks like they solved all the issues!
Finally works like a charm.
Besides the graphic issues they replaced the cooling paste and obviously did some other things too, so now it behaves as expected and the "tingling sensation" I used to feel when touching it is gone too.

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Visa signatur

En såndär datormaskin

Permalänk
Medlem

Hey!
I have an MSI GE70 0NC laptop, and recently the fan started making very loud noices. Since I don't know much about hardware myself, I decided to hand it in to a service center here in Stockholm (not specifically an MSI one) to have them look at it, and they told me that the fan is broken unfortunately. They also told me that they contacted MSI Sweden to order a new one for me, but allegedly they have no fans available in Sweden to my computer.

I will be moving to the US in less than a week, so I was thinking that hopefully they have something there. If I were to send it to the service center in LA, would they be able to fix it for me? A problem is that I bought it slightly over 2 years ago, so I assume that I no longer have the warranty. Do you believe that this kind of service would be expensive and time consuming if I did send it there?
Is there anything else I could do in order to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Permalänk
Hedersmedlem
Skrivet av Andrevbk:

Hey!
I have an MSI GE70 0NC laptop, and recently the fan started making very loud noices. Since I don't know much about hardware myself, I decided to hand it in to a service center here in Stockholm (not specifically an MSI one) to have them look at it, and they told me that the fan is broken unfortunately. They also told me that they contacted MSI Sweden to order a new one for me, but allegedly they have no fans available in Sweden to my computer.

I will be moving to the US in less than a week, so I was thinking that hopefully they have something there. If I were to send it to the service center in LA, would they be able to fix it for me? A problem is that I bought it slightly over 2 years ago, so I assume that I no longer have the warranty. Do you believe that this kind of service would be expensive and time consuming if I did send it there?

Thanks in advance!

Dold text

*Post moved to "Notebook and tablet related questions"*
/moderator

Visa signatur

Danskjävel så krattar som en skrivare...

Permalänk
Skrivet av Andrevbk:

Hey!

Thanks in advance!

In Sweden you could contact a retailer like Inet.se (or other shop) to order the part.
(Inet can order the part from our European Repair Center for you (if ERC has it on stock).

I have no idea how much they charge for a fan.
I also have no idea how they handle this in LA.

If they don't have stock, on Ebay you could find the fan part for around $25
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=E33-08...
Aliexpress around $17
http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-E33%25252d0800413%25252...

Permalänk
Skrivet av Emil Hansson:

Hi! I'm very interested in the new MSI GE62 Apache, Any info on when it'll be available in Sweden? Also wondering if it has a TN or IPS panel? Or something else?

???

Visa signatur

Stationär:- Lian Li o11 - Asus B450F Gaming II - Ryzen 9 3900X - Kingston HyperX 3200mhz 4x8GB - Corsair RM750x - RX 6900 XT - Custom Loop -

Permalänk

GE62

Skrivet av Emil Hansson:

Hi Dr.Pez,

Sorry for the somewhat delayed response.

We will have 2 models coming to Sweden in February. Both are with GTX965 and 4k IPS Screens.

GE62 2QE-030NE SEK 17,490 15.6" 4K IPS/i7-4720HQ / 16GB / 256GB SSD+1TB 7200RPM / Super Multi / GTX965M 2GB DDR5 / W8.1/
GE62 2QE-034NE SEK 15,990 15.6" 4K IPS/i7-4720HQ / 8GB / 128GB SSD+1TB 7200RPM / Super Multi / GTX965M 2GB DDR5 / W8.1/

We have more models incomming in middle of March of the GE62 without 4K unfortunately I cannot tell you much about them as they are still under strict NDA.

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

Hi Dr.Pez,

Sorry for the somewhat delayed response.

We will have 2 models coming to Sweden in February. Both are with GTX965 and 4k IPS Screens.

GE62 2QE-030NE SEK 17,490 15.6" 4K IPS/i7-4720HQ / 16GB / 256GB SSD+1TB 7200RPM / Super Multi / GTX965M 2GB DDR5 / W8.1/
GE62 2QE-034NE SEK 15,990 15.6" 4K IPS/i7-4720HQ / 8GB / 128GB SSD+1TB 7200RPM / Super Multi / GTX965M 2GB DDR5 / W8.1/

We have more models incomming in middle of March of the GE62 without 4K unfortunately I cannot tell you much about them as they are still under strict NDA.

BR,
Bart

Alright that sounds great! Exactly what I'm looking for, Thank you

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi MSI,

I'm looking for a new "gaming" laptop and your GE70 really picked up my attention! However I have one concern after reading up a bit on your models, from what I've seen it seems like you have placed a "warranty void if removed" sticker over the back cover so it's not possible to do for example a RAM upgrade or swapping out the HDD (which most other manufacturers allow).
So my question is if this is correct? Am I not able to change HDD without loosing the warranty?

Lehto

Visa signatur

AMD 1090T // Vulcan 1866MHz 7-10-10-29 // HD6950 2GB // Crucial M4 128GB // Seasonic S12 500w (inköpt 2006)
Laptop Acer 17": Intel 3210M // 8GB Ram // GT640M // Samsung 830 256GB
Laptop MSI 17": Intel 4200H // 8GB Ram // GTX850 // Samsung 830 256GB
Laptop Lenovo: AMD 7640HS // 16GB RAM // RTX4060 // Samsung 960Pro 512GB

Permalänk
Skrivet av Lehto:

Hi MSI,

I'm looking for a new "gaming" laptop and your GE70 really picked up my attention! However I have one concern after reading up a bit on your models, from what I've seen it seems like you have placed a "warranty void if removed" sticker over the back cover so it's not possible to do for example a RAM upgrade or swapping out the HDD (which most other manufacturers allow).
So my question is if this is correct? Am I not able to change HDD without loosing the warranty?

Lehto

In EU MSI users are allowed to void the warranty sticker to upgrade: RAM, HDD, Wireless, etc; and also for cleaning purposes. However, please note that any damages which may occur during mentioned actions will not be covered under manufacturer's warranty.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

In EU MSI users are allowed to void the warranty sticker to upgrade: RAM, HDD, Wireless, etc; and also for cleaning purposes. However, please note that any damages which may occur during mentioned actions will not be covered under manufacturer's warranty.

Alright perfect, I bought a GE70 yesterday actually but with this answere I can unbox it today then Would have returned it otherwise if it wouldn't had been possible to change HDD and upgrade RAM.

Thank you, will be an exciting evening then

Visa signatur

AMD 1090T // Vulcan 1866MHz 7-10-10-29 // HD6950 2GB // Crucial M4 128GB // Seasonic S12 500w (inköpt 2006)
Laptop Acer 17": Intel 3210M // 8GB Ram // GT640M // Samsung 830 256GB
Laptop MSI 17": Intel 4200H // 8GB Ram // GTX850 // Samsung 830 256GB
Laptop Lenovo: AMD 7640HS // 16GB RAM // RTX4060 // Samsung 960Pro 512GB

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello MSI

I have a MSI GT780DXR modell and i was curious as to know why my laptop is randomly shutting down and rebooting durin graphical loads.

I came across a few forums but wanted to double check here if these forums are accurate in the matter, if so i will replace my MXM graphics card and get a new one.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2138278/laptop-msi-g...

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=167368.msg1225283#ms... - Specially this one.

Please do reply as soon as possible

Regards / Stefan

Visa signatur

Intel I7 3770k, MSI G45-Z77A, Corsair Vengenance Low Profile 2x 8GB, Samsung Evo 840 250 GB, Fractal Design Define R4, Cooler Master Evo 212, Corsair HX650 v2, 1 TB Western Digital Green Caviar, Asus Dvd Brännare.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Stefan93:

Hello MSI

I have a MSI GT780DXR modell and i was curious as to know why my laptop is randomly shutting down and rebooting durin graphical loads.

I came across a few forums but wanted to double check here if these forums are accurate in the matter, if so i will replace my MXM graphics card and get a new one.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2138278/laptop-msi-g...

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=167368.msg1225283#ms... - Specially this one.

Please do reply as soon as possible

Regards / Stefan

Most common problem is casued by heat. You can easily monitor the GPU and CPU temperature with utilities like HWInfo64 or HWMonitor.

Especially with older high-end notebooks you can notice two things:
1.) the air vents getting blocked more and more by dust (I would advice you to clean this out when a lot of dust gets built up)
2.) the thermal pads or thermal grease dry out, which decreases the heat dissipation. Repasting the coolers can help resolve this issue. Basically you remove the old thermal interface material from GPU and heatsink and apply new thermal paste.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Most common problem is casued by heat. You can easily monitor the GPU and CPU temperature with utilities like HWInfo64 or HWMonitor.

Especially with older high-end notebooks you can notice two things:
1.) the air vents getting blocked more and more by dust (I would advice you to clean this out when a lot of dust gets built up)
2.) the thermal pads or thermal grease dry out, which decreases the heat dissipation. Repasting the coolers can help resolve this issue. Basically you remove the old thermal interface material from GPU and heatsink and apply new thermal paste.

Hello MSI, i can reassure you it is neither.

1. My warranty is out so it does not matter if i open the laptop and replace the thermal paste (which i have done with Arctic Silver 5)

For reference to me applying the thermal paste i can tell u i have done it several times and i have a Comptia A+ certificate.

However it could be the thermal pads as you say, but is it really such a problem with thermal pads that it causes random shut downs?

If yes, then fine i will replace them and fix it asap.

Visa signatur

Intel I7 3770k, MSI G45-Z77A, Corsair Vengenance Low Profile 2x 8GB, Samsung Evo 840 250 GB, Fractal Design Define R4, Cooler Master Evo 212, Corsair HX650 v2, 1 TB Western Digital Green Caviar, Asus Dvd Brännare.

Permalänk
Medlem

Can thermal pads really cause this issue, i have reapplied the thermal paste.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av Stefan93:

Can thermal pads really cause this issue, i have reapplied the thermal paste.

What are the CPU and GPU temperatures before crashing?

Permalänk
Medlem

I dont know but i will check and see, then get back to you

i bought new thermal pads today and i will apply them later on tonight.

/ Stefan

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem

I have replaced the thermal pads as well on the cpu & gpu both reached around 40 deg celcius and the same thing occured.

This is from another forum where they claim its a GPU issue.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/msi-gt780dxr-char...

"And I have to say, it works and these random shutdowns finally stopped and I am able to play games again, browse internet etc. without any fear of shutting down my system. Apparently that old 570m got fried a little from a small overclocking I sometimes applied through MSI afterburner and this caused some power/heating spikes inside the chip and thus trigging the failswitch shutdowns"

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av Stefan93:

I have replaced the thermal pads as well on the cpu & gpu both reached around 40 deg celcius and the same thing occured.

This is from another forum where they claim its a GPU issue.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/msi-gt780dxr-char...

"And I have to say, it works and these random shutdowns finally stopped and I am able to play games again, browse internet etc. without any fear of shutting down my system. Apparently that old 570m got fried a little from a small overclocking I sometimes applied through MSI afterburner and this caused some power/heating spikes inside the chip and thus trigging the failswitch shutdowns"

Yes, like the person in the other forum says, overclocking GPUs in notebooks can damage the GPU.

The GPU temperature of 40°C is probably in idle.
I would like to know what the temperature is of the GPU (and CPU) before the system crashes.
You can run a freeware tool Unigine Valley in windowed mode to simulate Gameplay and monitor the temperatures with HWInfo64 or HWMonitor in the foreground.