Notebook and tablet related questions

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi Ruudt, i dont really think thou that the person before me that i purchased the computer from overclocked the GPU since the person didnt even know he had to replace thermalpads nor replace the thermal paste when it gets too heated in loads.

Sometimes the computer is relatively stable in such moments where i for example try to run a program like say black ops 2 zombie mode or leauge of legends for hours, but then sometimes when i just boot into windows it reboots out of nowhere.

I will try to run the unigine valley and have hwmonitor in the foreground and tell u how it went.

Visa signatur

Intel I7 3770k, MSI G45-Z77A, Corsair Vengenance Low Profile 2x 8GB, Samsung Evo 840 250 GB, Fractal Design Define R4, Cooler Master Evo 212, Corsair HX650 v2, 1 TB Western Digital Green Caviar, Asus Dvd Brännare.

Permalänk
Medlem

I can say now with ease the gpu and cpu are at approx 40 deg celcius before crashing what is the issue, please help

Visa signatur

Intel I7 3770k, MSI G45-Z77A, Corsair Vengenance Low Profile 2x 8GB, Samsung Evo 840 250 GB, Fractal Design Define R4, Cooler Master Evo 212, Corsair HX650 v2, 1 TB Western Digital Green Caviar, Asus Dvd Brännare.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Stefan93:

I can say now with ease the gpu and cpu are at approx 40 deg celcius before crashing what is the issue, please help

If it crashes also in idle mode or light load the temperature is probably not the cause.
The MXM graphics card can still be the issue but there can be numerous other causes (it's still wise to test with Unigine Valley for stability and load temperatures but first you need to solve the crashing in idle/light loads).
Run memtest86+ to see if the memory is still OK (not a 100% full proof test though).
If you have the possibility you could try other DDR3 SO-DIMM modules as well.
You can also do an OS recovery to exclude software issues.

If nothing helps it might be wise to check with the MSI Notebook Hotline.
Thye can judge if it needs to be sent in for repair (once you send it in and it is out of warranty they will give you a quotation of how much the repair will cost if you decide to have it repaired).

MSI Notebook Hotline in Sweden:
email: service.nordic.erc@msi.com
Toll-Free Number: 020 791053
Regular, Local Number: (+46) 844 685 416

Permalänk
Medlem

Any new versions of the GS70 scheduled to arrive in the near future? Seems kind of stupid that the 15" GS60 has 3K and 4K options and IPS panels but the larger 17" inch only has the FullHD option. What's the logic in that?

Permalänk
Föredetting
Skrivet av improwise:

Any new versions of the GS70 scheduled to arrive in the near future? Seems kind of stupid that the 15" GS60 has 3K and 4K options and IPS panels but the larger 17" inch only has the FullHD option. What's the logic in that?

The issue is availability. 15.6" is the most widely used panel size, meaning the latest advances in panel technology end up in this format. 17.3" is a much, much smaller market. There are simply no 4K panels at 17.3" currently.

Visa signatur

Internet of Things. Translation: Anything that connects to the internet, no matter how useless nor how much of a security risk it poses.

Permalänk
Avstängd

Hi. I bought a GS30 a 2-3 months back. Super happy with it. But now the fan has totally broken down. Sounds like its grinden woodchips or similiar in there.
Before this happened however, i switched out the HDDs in the laptop. Which results in having to brake the "warranty" sticker.

So my question is now. Am i really out of warranty? Since this is clearly a factory error, and I can't imagine you are not allowed to upgrade you laptop?

Is it possible to send it in to you directly for a speedy repair?

Permalänk
Skrivet av bakemonster:

Hi. I bought a GS30 a 2-3 months back. Super happy with it. But now the fan has totally broken down. Sounds like its grinden woodchips or similiar in there.
Before this happened however, i switched out the HDDs in the laptop. Which results in having to brake the "warranty" sticker.

So my question is now. Am i really out of warranty? Since this is clearly a factory error, and I can't imagine you are not allowed to upgrade you laptop?

Is it possible to send it in to you directly for a speedy repair?

Sorry for the late reply I seem to have overlooked this post for two weeks.

In EU MSI users are allowed to break the warranty sticker on notebooks to upgrade: RAM, HDD/SSD, Wireless, etc; and also for cleaning purposes.
However, please note that any damages which may occur during mentioned actions will not be covered under manufacturer's warranty.
If you are unsure about your upgrade skills, you might need to ask the shop for help or one of our repair centers.
Also note that when a warranty sticker is broken and you need to send it to one of our repair centers for service, our engineers will pay extra attention to user damage.

So no you don't loose warranty when breaking the sticker.
If you changed the hdd in the docking and after that it makes a rattling noise, you might want to check if there is no cable touch in the vga card fans in the dock.

If that doesn't solve it you can contact our Service center in Sweden:
InfoCare Consumer Service AB
Address: Arabygatan 9, 352 46 Växjö, Sweden
TEL: +46 470 70 54 00

Permalänk
Medlem

Har köpt en värsting laptop GT72 2QE 1604NE Dominator den nya modellen med G sync...kostade mig ca 25 000 kr och enligt Webhallen skulle den ha Blu-Ray writer inbyggd (vilket det var därför jag ville köpa den)
Vet att många härinne inte använder CD så mycket ..men jag ville kunna använda den som både spelmaskin och spela upp alla mina blu ray filmer ..men vad besviken jag är ju ...vad jag kan se i enhetshanteraren så är det en vanlig DVD-RAM enhet !!

Jag ska ringa till webhallen sedan idag och fråga vad dom håller på med ...eller MSI ...men deras telefonsupport är inte öppen ännu ...

Permalänk
Skrivet av kevin68:

Har köpt en värsting laptop GT72 2QE 1604NE Dominator den nya modellen med G sync...kostade mig ca 25 000 kr och enligt Webhallen skulle den ha Blu-Ray writer inbyggd (vilket det var därför jag ville köpa den)
Vet att många härinne inte använder CD så mycket ..men jag ville kunna använda den som både spelmaskin och spela upp alla mina blu ray filmer ..men vad besviken jag är ju ...vad jag kan se i enhetshanteraren så är det en vanlig DVD-RAM enhet !!

Jag ska ringa till webhallen sedan idag och fråga vad dom håller på med ...eller MSI ...men deras telefonsupport är inte öppen ännu ...

According to our internal system the GT72 2QE(Dominator Pro G)-1604NE (9S7-178131-1604) should have a DVD Super-Multi burner.

Please check with Webhallen what they can do.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello!

My question is related to a MSI GS60 laptop... as I know, there are 2 fans in it, one on the left and one on the right side, but which one is cooling GPU and which one CPU? The trouble is, that the left fan doesn´t seems to work. Don´t even ever heard anything from it and started wondering for some week ago if it´s broken? I don´t play games on it yet, just normal use like checking web, play some music, watch movies.

Permalänk
Skrivet av bl00keRs:

Hello!

My question is related to a MSI GS60 laptop... as I know, there are 2 fans in it, one on the left and one on the right side, but which one is cooling GPU and which one CPU? The trouble is, that the left fan doesn´t seems to work. Don´t even ever heard anything from it and started wondering for some week ago if it´s broken? I don´t play games on it yet, just normal use like checking web, play some music, watch movies.

The left fan is cooling the GPU but if you haven't ran any 3D Game or application the GPU will not become active (Power button led will turn orange when GPU is active). So the left fan doesn't have to cool anything.
In 2D mode it will use the integrated graphics of the cpu (power button led is blue).

Permalänk
Medlem

Will check this Do you know which program is going to show me temperatures of the GPU?
MSI Afterburner, HWMonitor or SpeedFan are not.

Permalänk
Skrivet av bl00keRs:

Will check this Do you know which program is going to show me temperatures of the GPU?
MSI Afterburner, HWMonitor or SpeedFan are not.

In 2D mode (when power button led is blue) there is no GPU active so the programs cannot measure the GPU temperature.
If you run GPU-Z and start the render test (question mark symbol, near PCIe info) then the gpu becomes active (power button led turns orange) and GPU-Z (and other programs) can see GPU temperature and speed.

Permalänk
Medlem

Thank you Everything is as you told

Permalänk
Avstängd

Any idea what speeds the M2 ports runs on the GS30 laptop? First Version.
Is it SATA with M2 interface? Or proper PCIe speeds behind them?

Permalänk
Skrivet av bakemonster:

Any idea what speeds the M2 ports runs on the GS30 laptop? First Version.
Is it SATA with M2 interface? Or proper PCIe speeds behind them?

GS30 has 2x M.2 2280 slots B-Key interface is SATA3.
Information can be found in this FAQ:
http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-1117.html

Permalänk
Avstängd
Skrivet av Ruudt:

GS30 has 2x M.2 2280 slots B-Key interface is SATA3.
Information can be found in this FAQ:
http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-1117.html

Ahh, perfect, just what i was looking for!

Is there any future plans of continuing with this series of laptops? I love mine, it is the perfect fit for me. And i would hate to have to look for something else next time i want to upgrade.

Permalänk
Skrivet av bakemonster:

Ahh, perfect, just what i was looking for!

Is there any future plans of continuing with this series of laptops? I love mine, it is the perfect fit for me. And i would hate to have to look for something else next time i want to upgrade.

We will continue to sell the GS30. I haven't seen new models yet.
The best part about GS30 is that you can easily upgrade your graphics card.

Permalänk
Medlem

Wonder why the battery in my MSI GS60 notebook (since I bought it) is always charging until 98% and show it as "full"?

Permalänk
Medlem

BUMP and how can I set up and connect Miracast to my TV on Windows 10?

Permalänk
Skrivet av bl00keRs:

Wonder why the battery in my MSI GS60 notebook (since I bought it) is always charging until 98% and show it as "full"?

That is normal behavior, the battery will normally charge up to 100% in one take if it was orginally lower than 80% charge.
If you plugin the adapter between 90%-99% the charging mechanism will only trickle charge and might stop before reaching 100%.
http://www.msi.com/faq/detail/C3bE9JIPNUTkQe1a3yXL9DsnLycGI4lpvkjdna4At3-nVlXeb2ruZ6pUxwz03Ex_jDHGVAq5e3HvdrprN0oXQg~~

The smart battery can be re-calibrated by an MSI utility called MSI Battery Cailbration:
http://www.msi.com/product/notebook/support/GS60-6QC-Ghost.html#down-utility&Win10 64

Or you can drain the battery first and charge to 100% (that is also a recalibration).

Permalänk
Skrivet av bl00keRs:

BUMP and how can I set up and connect Miracast to my TV on Windows 10?

I haven't tried it on Win10 yet but for Win8.1 we have a guide online:
http://www.msi.com/faq/detail/p7SqByouCLX2ZYPCN14NMAo6MYkUCZwD1a8PiEMq2gbZCo9GfZWjkQGtGFIwXE2uh2to7R4rDuQkoV53xja3dA~~

Microsoft might also offer some help here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/project-wireless-screen-miracast

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

That is normal behavior, the battery will normally charge up to 100% in one take if it was orginally lower than 80% charge.
If you plugin the adapter between 90%-99% the charging mechanism will only trickle charge and might stop before reaching 100%.
http://www.msi.com/faq/detail/C3bE9JIPNUTkQe1a3yXL9DsnLycGI4lpvkjdna4At3-nVlXeb2ruZ6pUxwz03Ex_jDHGVAq5e3HvdrprN0oXQg~~

The smart battery can be re-calibrated by an MSI utility called MSI Battery Cailbration:
http://www.msi.com/product/notebook/support/GS60-6QC-Ghost.html#down-utility&Win10 64

Or you can drain the battery first and charge to 100% (that is also a recalibration).

The battery normally doesn't charge up to 100%, even if it was lower than 80%. Never seen it to be charged to 100% anyway. Recalibrated the battery yesterday by simple discharge and recharge and it has been charged up to 98%. Used laptop occasionally then, with AC plugged in whole the time since I plugged it in when I started recharge process and now it went down to 97% and is still "full charge" as the Windows 10 indicator and BatteryCare shows.

Permalänk
Skrivet av bl00keRs:

The battery normally doesn't charge up to 100%, even if it was lower than 80%. Never seen it to be charged to 100% anyway. Recalibrated the battery yesterday by simple discharge and recharge and it has been charged up to 98%. Used laptop occasionally then, with AC plugged in whole the time since I plugged it in when I started recharge process and now it went down to 97% and is still "full charge" as the Windows 10 indicator and BatteryCare shows.

What does BatteryCare say about the wearlevel?

If battery wearlevel is high (over 40%) then the battery might be wearing down.
If wearlevel is still below 20% and you still get OK battery life from it I wouldn't worry too much about it.
You could try a couple of re-calibration runs with the MSI utility.

If battery life isn't good you should contact the Notebook Service Hotline.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello!

I've got this laptop gt72-2qe-1604ne and currently with msi gtx 980m 4gb graphic card, I was looking to buy this from ebay, i quote "Promotion Nvidia GeForce GTX980M 8GB DDR5 for Clevo MSI Alienware M17x R4 R5"

Their answer when I asked if it fits my model of gt72 was I quote "hello,
thank you for your order.
the card is Clevo version.and don't work on you GT 72.
you need MSI version,we will send you MSI version GTX 980M.
by the way,MSI GTX 980M is 4GB,you know that?
we are looking forward to your reply."

My reply back was NOT to send the card since I already have the same version on my laptop.

Other information about my laptop:
Motherboard micro-star
Model ms-1781
Chipset haswell
Intel hm87
Intel core I7 4720hq haswell socket 1364 bga
16 gb ram
4 m.2 ssd, (500gb, 128gb, 250gb evo samsung, waiting for sata m.2 adapter.)
Removed cd drive replaced with caddy (1tb 5400 RPM seagate)

Is there anyway to get msi version 8gb 980m? Shipping to sweden.

Thanks alot for your help much apprichiated

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Permalänk
Skrivet av Alexan92:

Hello!

I've got this laptop gt72-2qe-1604ne and currently with msi gtx 980m 4gb graphic card, I was looking to buy this from ebay, i quote "Promotion Nvidia GeForce GTX980M 8GB DDR5 for Clevo MSI Alienware M17x R4 R5"

Their answer when I asked if it fits my model of gt72 was I quote "hello,
thank you for your order.
the card is Clevo version.and don't work on you GT 72.
you need MSI version,we will send you MSI version GTX 980M.
by the way,MSI GTX 980M is 4GB,you know that?
we are looking forward to your reply."

My reply back was NOT to send the card since I already have the same version on my laptop.

Other information about my laptop:
Motherboard micro-star
Model ms-1781
Chipset haswell
Intel hm87
Intel core I7 4720hq haswell socket 1364 bga
16 gb ram
4 m.2 ssd, (500gb, 128gb, 250gb evo samsung, waiting for sata m.2 adapter.)
Removed cd drive replaced with caddy (1tb 5400 RPM seagate)

Is there anyway to get msi version 8gb 980m? Shipping to sweden.

Thanks alot for your help much apprichiated

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

MSI doesn't sell notebook upgrade parts separately in EU (yet). I know there were some MXM upgrade kits (upgrade GTX880M to GTX980M) available in other territories (e.g. Asia) but not in EU as far as I know.
We don't recommend or support other models than the originally parts that were installed by MSI (any damage caused by improper use will not be covered by warranty).

The only way to get an upgrade is if you send it to our repair service and the original part is no longer available and there is a better part that may fit your notebook.

I personally don't think the extra 4GB will make the graphics experience much better than it already is.
I would keep my money in my pocket if I were you.

Permalänk
Medlem

Do this laptop have Hybrid Power functionality? I'm a little bit confused cause as I read here and everywhere else on internet, it shouldn't have it.I downloaded and installed newer version of Dragon Gaming Center from another laptop section from your site, just to be up to date with all applications and there is NOS as you see on the picture below. Haven't had it before, in the older GDC which came preinstalled with my laptop.

Permalänk
Skrivet av bl00keRs:

Do this laptop have Hybrid Power functionality? I'm a little bit confused cause as I read here and everywhere else on internet, it shouldn't have it.I downloaded and installed newer version of Dragon Gaming Center from another laptop section from your site, just to be up to date with all applications and there is NOS as you see on the picture below. Haven't had it before, in the older GDC which came preinstalled with my laptop.

http://i.imgur.com/iAGeQMZ.png

I am still checking with HQ but I haven't got an answer yet.
It's unclear which models should have Hybrid Power.
I will get back to you when I have an answer.

Permalänk
Skrivet av bl00keRs:

http://i.imgur.com/iAGeQMZ.png

Hybrid Power was introduced on the gaming notebooks with GTX800 series and should be available in Dragon Gaming Center on all models with GTX800 or newer.

Hybrid power only works when battery level is higher than 30%.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hey there!
I have a GS70 (the older one with GTX 760m) and my battery seems to have gone bad, really bad.
In fact it's doubled in thickness!
Seeing as my warranty has run out I figured I might aswell swap the battery myself, seems easy enough.
Where can I find replacement batteries?
This is the battery I have:

Another question, am I correct in assuming I can still use the notebook with the power adapter connected?

Visa signatur

Stationär: Core i9 13900k | Asus X790 ROG Strix Gaming-F | 32GB DDR5 | RX 7900 XT | Lian Li PC-O11 dynamic evo
Laptop: Macbook Air | Apple M1