Permalänk
Hedersmedlem

watts vs quality ?

Hi, first of all, great idea with this theme week:) Many thanks to all involved.

In this forum as in many others we often get stuck in discussions on what is most important

A: to choose a PSU with high quality or
B: To get the minimum of x number of watts for your system.

I belong to those who believe that the Watts debate has become somewhat of a total hysteria. Many would say that a system liket that wich i have in my signature should have at least a psu of 600 watts.

I believe that the quality has a greater role both for safety, longer lifetime, and a quiet system. But also that you actually dare to rely on it as in my case, when it says 450w on the psu is also what you get.

Is it not also so that all of the hardware industry do tend to use rather large margins to be on the safe side and avoid complaints if it does not work. For example, Nvidia specifies that I must have "Minimum System Power Requirement (W)" 550W.

What advice would you give to those who will be looking into a new psu?

A: 500W Enermax, B-quiet, Seasonic, Corsair Or
B: 600W Ace, hiper, Codegen, Q-tek

Please explain a bit on how you are reasoning in this matter

Finally, can you give a example of a gamingsystem that would actually need a 1000W psu.

Ones again thanks

Visa signatur

Kontakta mig direkt vid frågor om eller synpunkter på min moderering.
Glöm inte att tala om vilken tråd ditt ärende gäller.
Kontaktvägar: via PM eller via E-post: michaswe@sweclockers.com
Mina System: HePC och Gaming

Permalänk
Medlem

It's very hard to choose a good one sometimes because most sites that test psus dosn't test them properly. That means the have checked if it gives the power it says on the label, they look what capacitors there are, check rippel etc.

A 1000w system for a gamer is i7 OC 4ghz+, 2x HD4870x2 OCed and probably 30-40 harddrives or something like that.

Permalänk
Medlem

This is my personal oppinion.. answer to your questions..

A: to choose a PSU with high quality
A: 500W Enermax, B-quiet, Seasonic, Corsair

PSU's with good quality build will provide clean and stable power and you can trust them to shut down and not damage your components if a power surge/peak hits the PSU. They will also momentarilly deliver higher output of power than rated if your components require it.. without taking damage. I would not trust an el-cheapo Ace PSU to perform in this way.

A system with highest power usage of around 700-800W would need a 1000W PSU. I'd think an overclocked AMD Pheonom II system with quad GPU's, 4 RAM modules, a heap load of harddrives and 6 case/heatsink fans and powering a watercooling pump.. and then some power hungry USB devices like external harddrives and gamecontrollers..

Visa signatur

The burk: FD Define Nano S, 1 FD 140 & 1 Corsair 120 i fronten, 1st FD 120 bak || FD Ion SFX-L 500W || AMD Ryzen 3 3300x m. Wraith || Asrock Fatal1ty B450 gaming-ITX/ac || PowerColor Red Devil 5600XT || Toshiba OCZ RC500 500GB NVMe M.2 || 2*8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz || Asus VE247H LED TN || Ducky Shine II MX-red green LED || Steelseries Sensei mus

Permalänk
Medlem

It’s nice to have some headroom. Less heat, less noise and you won’t have to change PSU if you e.g. Installs a second GPU.
That being said its usually a smarter move to go with a higher quality PSU. But remember there is a limit to what they can do, so don’t cut back on it just because it’s a well known brand. And it never hurts to look up who is the actual manufacturer, don’t always assume a well know brand equals good quality.

Permalänk
Medlem

I aggree with you all.
A. A high quality PSU is worth the extra 100's (10's of €) since they arent that much more expensive.

A 1kW PSU computer ehh? Built in coffeepot or SLI GEFORCE GTX 295, Intel core i7 24 Gb mem and everything OC.
(I have a friend that is looking for a computer that after POST BEEP it'll dimmer an entire cityblock. That's his dream atleast. I'm more of a powersaver than him atleast )

Visa signatur

Homer Simpson: "Internet! Is that thing still around?"

Continuously updating

Permalänk

Hi!

To buy a quality PSU is much better. Good PSU have better components inside which will take care that the lines will be stable inside the ATX-specifications. Cheap PSU sometimes can not hold the stability under load. Even it is 50% load of what they are labeled.
Efficiency of cheap PSU is very bad. this means more warm air (because all "lost" power is transfered to HEAT) and warm or even hot air no PSU likes and also your system don´t like warm air.
Safety functions are very important for the safety of the PSU AND our whole system.
sure, also good PSU can fail after some time, every computer component can fail after some time. But a good PSU will not kill the other components too. A cheap PSU can be like a bomb - "If I die, I will killy you all".
So, there are lots of reasons why to buy a good PSU.
The labeled max. output like 550W you can trust when it is a brand PSU. In Germany some reviewers test if a 110% load is OK for the PSU´s, that´s also a indication if it is good or not. So have 605W load on a 550W and it is still stable and working fine.
Cheap PSU with 550W.....normally don´t reach this. some rech 50% of the labeled output, some 70%, some maybe 90%.

Please add COUGAR to "A"
I totally agree with you all, choose a quality PSU, the investment is good.

Citat:

It's very hard to choose a good one sometimes because most sites that test psus dosn't test them properly. That means the have checked if it gives the power it says on the label, they look what capacitors there are, check rippel etc.

To test a PSU properly is really difficult.
The main point is the test environment. In Germany for example we only have one person which checks them very carefully. He also has the knowledge about PSU like nobody else. As I know, he is preparing an english website now, hope this will be ready soon.
For a good test you need to know everything about it and best is you use some CHROMA 8000 machines, have access to a EMI-shielded room etc.
Then the costs are over 100.000 Euro.
Of course, nearly nobody can afford this just to prepare good reviews.

Citat:

A 1000w system for a gamer is i7 OC 4ghz+, 2x HD4870x2 OCed and probably 30-40 harddrives or something like that.

sounds ok, but 30-40 HDD´s will be a problem for every PSU which is build for private and office use.
When these HDD´s have to start, they need more power in the first miliseconds. I don´t think that this a normal PSU can stand.
For this amount of HDD´s you better have a look on server PSU and/or industrial PSU.
Up to 8-10 HDD´s and a few ODD´s should be no problem.

Citat:

And it never hurts to look up who is the actual manufacturer, don’t always assume a well know brand equals good quality.

that´s right. I already mentioned just some few companies which develope, produce and sell their own products. We are one of them.
Lots of brands on market even use several OEM´s for their PSU, so the quality is not stable. Or they change the OEM and the quality again is different.

If you want to put a 1kW PSU under 100% load, you better use 4 GPU´s, an overclocked i7 CPU and the usual drives. But it is not a good idea to have always 100% load for the PSU when your system is under load.
A 1kW PSU is perfect when you have up to 700-800W as maximum load.
Because in Idle you should keep the 20% (200W for the system) in order to have a good efficiency and less heat. and to reach 200W under IDLE is not that easy to reach.
So, such system should include a i7 OC, 2x 4870 X2 (needs more in Idle than GTX 295), some drives etc.
Then a 1kW PSU would be the perfect choice.