Graphics Card related questions

Permalänk
Skrivet av breakwin:

Is it possible for me to be able to get my hands on a Twin Frozr cooler somehow? I'm running reference cooling on my R9 290 and I really want a aftermarket one. Is it possible to just buy the cooler from you guys without an actual card?

Breakwin, unfortunately it can't be done.
In order to ensure that our users always have the most optimum experience with our advance cooling solution, we insist on only selling the finished goods.

Permalänk

MSI GeForce GTX780 OC 3GB DDR5

Hey, MSI!

I've encountered a problem recently and thought i'd try to reach you here first, I'ts about my "MSI GeForce GTX780 OC 3GB DDR5" (Atleast so I believe)
The other day I was just watching a movie and had to google something, when I started Firefox my computer froze a second, then the screen turned black and the fans ramped up to 100%. I got so afraid i immediately turned it off. When I a couple of minutes later started the computer it instantly went to 100% fan speed. (and not showing any sign of life on my monitor)
I put my monitor in my mobo dvi port (MSI Z87-G45 GAMING) and looked through the device manager but my graphics card didn't show. I started to try and open all graphic card related software only to get a error message that they crashed.

This card has only been overclocked with the already existing MSI Gaming app profiles. Otherwise this card has been lovely, I just hope we can figure out a solution.

Now to my question, what would you have me do? Switching pci slots, putting it in a friends computer, using different ports? etc.
Im working abroad right now but will be home on friday (29/8) and need some tips for what to try out, and what's worth the effort. Maby you already have encountered a similar problem? Maby not, I just want my card back.
If it actually is broken (purchased 2013-12-25) should I contact my supplier www.Netonnet.se or go directly through MSI?

If you want some screenshots I'll be able to provide them during friday.

Many thanks and best regards
Dennis

Visa signatur

Fractal Design Define R4 Grey | MSI Z87-G45 GAMING | Intel Core i5-4670K | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GeForce GTX780 OC 3GB DDR5 | XFX XXX Edition 850W 80+ Bronze

Permalänk
Skrivet av Jesukrist:

Hey, MSI!

I've encountered a problem recently and thought i'd try to reach you here first, I'ts about my "MSI GeForce GTX780 OC 3GB DDR5" (Atleast so I believe)
The other day I was just watching a movie and had to google something, when I started Firefox my computer froze a second, then the screen turned black and the fans ramped up to 100%. I got so afraid i immediately turned it off. When I a couple of minutes later started the computer it instantly went to 100% fan speed. (and not showing any sign of life on my monitor)
I put my monitor in my mobo dvi port (MSI Z87-G45 GAMING) and looked through the device manager but my graphics card didn't show. I started to try and open all graphic card related software only to get a error message that they crashed.

This card has only been overclocked with the already existing MSI Gaming app profiles. Otherwise this card has been lovely, I just hope we can figure out a solution.

Now to my question, what would you have me do? Switching pci slots, putting it in a friends computer, using different ports? etc.
Im working abroad right now but will be home on friday (29/8) and need some tips for what to try out, and what's worth the effort. Maby you already have encountered a similar problem? Maby not, I just want my card back.
If it actually is broken (purchased 2013-12-25) should I contact my supplier www.Netonnet.se or go directly through MSI?

Dennis

Yes, the best way to determine if the vga card is broken, is to put it in another machine.
It if doesn't work send the graphics card to your supplier (MSI doesn't have direct RMA on vga cards).
If the card works in the other machine you might want to test a different graphics card in the Z87-G45 GAMING to see if the motherboard is faulty.

Permalänk
Medlem

3-Way SLI with MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB OC TwinFrozr Gaming possible?

Hi!

How do you connect MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB OC TwinFrozr Gaming in 3-Way SLI? As far as I can find out there are no 3-Way SLI-bridges that would work with the TwinFrozr cooler. All 3-Way bridges I have seen are rigid and would not fit. I have managed to run the cards in SLI with at flexible 2-Way SLI-bridge but what about 3-Way?

Visa signatur

Core i7 5820K @ 4.5GHz | Asus Strix X99 Gaming | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz | Intel® 750 SSD 400GB PCIe, Samsung 840/850 Evo 750GB & 1TB | Asus 12x Blu-Ray Combo | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | 3x Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm + 5x 120mm | Corsair H105 | Corsair AX1200i 1200W | Windows 10 Pro | Asus ROG Swift PG348Q | Audio Pro Addon T12 | Sennheiser HD650 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 MMO

Permalänk
Skrivet av Bascule666:

Hi!

How do you connect MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB OC TwinFrozr Gaming in 3-Way SLI? As far as I can find out there are no 3-Way SLI-bridges that would work with the TwinFrozr cooler. All 3-Way bridges I have seen are rigid and would not fit. I have managed to run the cards in SLI with at flexible 2-Way SLI-bridge but what about 3-Way?

http://imgi.se/image.php?di=SHMH

http://imgi.se/image.php?di=WWSY

You have to use flexible bridges to create a 3-way setup.

The pictures is a bit blurry, but you'll get the idea.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

You have to use flexible bridges to create a 3-way setup.
http://www.jagatreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sli_goo...

The pictures is a bit blurry, but you'll get the idea.

Yes, I have seen that solution but I am afraid it wont be possible to bend the bridges enough to get them to connect to the connectors closest to the center of the card. Have you at MSI tried it out?

Visa signatur

Core i7 5820K @ 4.5GHz | Asus Strix X99 Gaming | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz | Intel® 750 SSD 400GB PCIe, Samsung 840/850 Evo 750GB & 1TB | Asus 12x Blu-Ray Combo | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | 3x Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm + 5x 120mm | Corsair H105 | Corsair AX1200i 1200W | Windows 10 Pro | Asus ROG Swift PG348Q | Audio Pro Addon T12 | Sennheiser HD650 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 MMO

Permalänk
Skrivet av breakwin:

Is it possible for me to be able to get my hands on a Twin Frozr cooler somehow? I'm running reference cooling on my R9 290 and I really want a aftermarket one. Is it possible to just buy the cooler from you guys without an actual card?

A similar question has been answered before. See Ruudt's reply for more details:

Citat:

We have checked with our factory and RMA department in China and I am sorry to inform you but atm it's not possible to supply fans for out of warranty service.

There are some suppliers that offer replacement fans but those are not affiliated with MSI, so we cannot guarantee their quality.
You could search here and here to see if they offer a model that is suitable for you graphics card.
I hope this helps.

P.S.,
For warranty cases, you will need to return the whole graphics card to the shop (returning just the fan isn't enough).

Permalänk
Skrivet av Bascule666:

Yes, I have seen that solution but I am afraid it wont be possible to bend the bridges enough to get them to connect to the connectors closest to the center of the card. Have you at MSI tried it out?

Yes, the flexible bridges fit.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hey. Bought a MSI Radeon 280x Gaming 3GB in February. Now I'm on my third card. And all those cards i got same error. My screen flicker on and off when I was just browsing and gaming. Bought the card via Inet.se have tested two of the cards and found the error So they send out a new 280x Gaming to me and they have done it 2 times now. So now I wonder if you are aware of this problem and why it occurs? I like the cooler and the noise level and that it is good tempraturer even under high load with your MSI card. Now unfortunately, it seems that I may send in my third card so they can test it and they find the errors i have on this card to. So maby i have to unfortunately switch to a 280x from a different manufacture.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

Thank you for your help!

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av Jesukrist:

Hey, MSI!

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I'd recommend to test the card in the second pci-e slot or a different system to determine if the problem is caused by the mainboard or the VGA card, but based on the symptoms it seems the GPU is defect. If the GPU is not longer being displayed is device manager the VGA card needs to be repaired/replaced.
In Sweden warranty on components (mainboards and VGA cards) is handled by your supplier. They'll handle the RMA process for you.

Permalänk
Medlem

When will you release the 970 Lightning?

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi Msi

Is this cooler based on nvidias reference cooler? Or is it actually the same cooler but with a plastic cover instead of the metallic/metallic looking one?

Permalänk
Medlem

I dont know why I ended up here..;) Shouldn't you rename this thread "MSI Graphic Card related questions"? Would make it even easier to find for people who actually own or/and are interested in buying your products...

B.w.

Visa signatur

🖥️:Phanteks Evolv X | Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Noctua nh-d15 chromax.black | 8x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1500 | Gigabyte x470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi | Kingston Renegade 32Gb 3600Mhz | Samsung 990 Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 12Gb | Cougar CM 700W | Acer XB27HU | Mionix Naos QG | CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Blue |

"Bättre bli motbevisad - än förklarad skyldig"

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Mögel:

Hi Msi

Is this cooler based on nvidias reference cooler? Or is it actually the same cooler but with a plastic cover instead of the metallic/metallic looking one?

http://www.inet.se/files/img/max/5411295_0.png

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/msi_to_relea...

Visa signatur

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact - Asus Crosshair 7 Hero - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Noctua NH-D15S Chromax - G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB 3600MHz CL14 - Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 750W - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB -Intel 520 480GB - WD Caviar Black 1TB - Asus RTX 3080TI Strix OC - 2x Asus PG279Q - Logitech G703 - Asus Strix Scope TKL Deluxe - Logitech G840 - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Beyerdynamic Custom Headset Gear

Permalänk

Yes, this is the generic reference Nvidia model.

Permalänk
Skrivet av friskybob:

When will you release the 970 Lightning?

Will there be a 970 Lightning or a 980 Lightning? who doesn't like a little bit mystery.
The truth is that the crafting of a ultimate OC card is a very delicate process.
People are counting on breaking the world record with the next-gen lightning cards.
The stake is too high for us to botch it.
I'm sorry to say this, but we just can't rush it.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hey MSI.

Do you have plans on releasing backplates for GTX970 Gaming card? The Gigabyte counterpart includes a backplate which seems to make the card cooler (according to i.e. Guru3D reviews).

Visa signatur

Stationär: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI | G.Skill 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 Neo RGB | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 & Intel 660P 1TB M.2 | Corsair RM850x v2 White Series | Phanteks P500A D-RGB | Acer X34GS | Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent | Razer Deathadder v.2 | Logitech PRO X 7.1
Laptop: AMD Ryzen 7 6800HS | 16GB 4800MHz DDR5 | RTX 3060 140W | 15,6" 144Hz FHD IPS 16:9

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Jing:

Will there be a 970 Lightning or a 980 Lightning? who doesn't like a little bit mystery.
The truth is that the crafting of a ultimate OC card is a very delicate process.
People are counting on breaking the world record with the next-gen lightning cards.
The stake is too high for us to botch it.
I'm sorry to say this, but we just can't rush it.

I read the below earlier today.. on a pretty popular review sites news..
"MSI is reportedly holding off on launching an overclocking-grade GeForce GTX 980 graphics card that you can ride into record-setting competitions, based on its coveted OC Series Lightning brand. The company probably wants to avoid a repeat of last year, when launch of its GeForce GTX 780 Lightning graphics card was closely trailed by NVIDIA's launch of the inherently faster GeForce GTX 780 Ti, and resulting price-cuts for the GTX 780, throwing MSI's inventories in jeopardy. The year before that, MSI launched the Radeon HD 7970 Lightning just weeks before AMD launched the faster HD 7970 GHz Edition.

MSI could stick to selling its Gaming Series GTX 980, equipped with the new Twin Frozr V cooling solution, even offering factory-overclocked variants of the card. This also leads one to wonder if NVIDIA has a third, high-end graphics card based on the GM204 silicon, on the 'cards,' one with higher clock speeds, or a higher temperature-based clock speed throttle, which is currently at a hair-trigger 80°C on the GTX 980.

"

Visa signatur

The burk: FD Define Nano S, 1 FD 140 & 1 Corsair 120 i fronten, 1st FD 120 bak || FD Ion SFX-L 500W || AMD Ryzen 3 3300x m. Wraith || Asrock Fatal1ty B450 gaming-ITX/ac || PowerColor Red Devil 5600XT || Toshiba OCZ RC500 500GB NVMe M.2 || 2*8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz || Asus VE247H LED TN || Ducky Shine II MX-red green LED || Steelseries Sensei mus

Permalänk
Medlem

MSI another question.

I bought a pair of 970 Gaming cards but when I play less demanding games, GPU1 downclocks to 900MHz while GPU2 stays at normal clocks. Also GPU1 cannot downclock while in Desktop and stays at 899MHz. When I play demanding games, both cards run at max boost speeds which seems normal.

Visa signatur

Stationär: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI | G.Skill 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL30 Trident Z5 Neo RGB | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 & Intel 660P 1TB M.2 | Corsair RM850x v2 White Series | Phanteks P500A D-RGB | Acer X34GS | Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent | Razer Deathadder v.2 | Logitech PRO X 7.1
Laptop: AMD Ryzen 7 6800HS | 16GB 4800MHz DDR5 | RTX 3060 140W | 15,6" 144Hz FHD IPS 16:9

Permalänk
Skrivet av Mocka:

MSI another question.

I bought a pair of 970 Gaming cards but when I play less demanding games, GPU1 downclocks to 900MHz while GPU2 stays at normal clocks. Also GPU1 cannot downclock while in Desktop and stays at 899MHz. When I play demanding games, both cards run at max boost speeds which seems normal.

I have tested two GTX970 GAMING 4G (on a Z77 MPOWER, I didn't have the Z77A-G55 at hand) with low settings on Tomb Raider 2013 and 3D Mark Skydiver but in both cases both GPU clocks ramped up to 1304MHz:

In 2D both GPU clocks dropped to 135MHz.

I used vbios NV316MH.125.
I don't know which vbios you have (depends on serial number). Can you tell me your serial numbers by PM and I will send you the latest vbios.

P.S.,
We will have backplates on the 8GB models but not on the current 4GB models.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

I have tested two GTX970 GAMING 4G (on a Z77 MPOWER, I didn't have the Z77A-G55 at hand) with low settings on Tomb Raider 2013 and 3D Mark Skydiver but in both cases both GPU clocks ramped up to 1304MHz:

In 2D both GPU clocks dropped to 135MHz.

I used vbios NV316MH.125.
I don't know which vbios you have (depends on serial number). Can you tell me your serial numbers by PM and I will send you the latest vbios.

P.S.,
We will have backplates on the 8GB models but not on the current 4GB models.

Hey, thanks so much for answering.

I did a complete reinstallation of the drivers yesterday and the only thing I changed in NVCPL was the setting about "multimonitor" or "singlemonitor" (not sure what it's named in English). I read elsewhere that users with the same problem as me solved the issue by resetting NVCLP to factory defaults so I'll try that tonight.

This is how it looks in Windows.

Also, the thing about GPU1 downclocking, it's only with non-demanding games like WoW, Duke Nukem Forever and Divinity: Original Sin (altough that game made my FPS go down to 40 something when GPU1 downclocked. After a while it went up to speed and my FPS did too.
In Thief, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider or otherwise both GPU clocks are working in tandem.

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello!
I have a question regarding my MSI 970 TWIN FROZR V, More specific the fan-idling. For example when i play Guild Wars 2, the gpu wont work as hard as it should (because my cpu is weak but that's a whole other world )... and therefore the card wont rise in temperature very much, nothing wrong with that... but the thing is that the gpu is always within the threshold temperature where the fan start to spin, and as fast as it spins for like 2 sec, the temp goes under the treshold again.... this means the fans will start, stops, starts, stops, start...in an eternal loop :/....

I wonder if this should in the long run make the fan lose it´s life-span fast?

Well, a picture shows more than a thousand word, as you all know ;)..

this phenomenon happens when I am running around were there are a lot of ppl around (I think. look at the fan speed rpm):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/219096/gpu_fan.gif

and sometime this occurs too (look at the fan speed rpm):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/athe33x2sautn5j/Sk%C3%A4rmdump%2020...

Visa signatur

Dator: ASRock B650i, AMD Ryzen 7600, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5, Corsair H115i Elite, INNO3D RTX 4060Ti 8GB TWINX2, SSUPD Meshlicious, Corsair SF850L skärm: Asus PB238Q, DELL U2211H kringutrustning: Corsair k70 TKL RGB, Logitech 603, SMSL SA 300, Magic S-4 EX

Permalänk

Having serious with my MSI GTX 970. Core clock wont go above 405MHz no matter which game, getting lags since it wont move over it.
Running 344.16 drivers. I´ve tried running in different modes in the MSI Gamin App; OC Mode, Gaming mode, Silent mode. It doesent matter, it´s severly throttled.

Visa signatur

🎮 → 7800X3D • EVGA RTX 2080s • 64GB DDR5 • Asus B650 • Corsair HX1000i
🖥️ → Skärm: Iiyama G-Master GB3461 - 34" 21:9 144hz • 🥽 → VR: Oculus Quest 2
🎧 → Logitech G933 🖱️ → Corsair Sabre RGB | ⌨️ → Corsair K70 Lux

Permalänk
Skrivet av pjuppi:

Hello!
I have a question regarding my MSI 970 TWIN FROZR V, More specific the fan-idling. For example when i play Guild Wars 2, the gpu wont work as hard as it should (because my cpu is weak but that's a whole other world )... and therefore the card wont rise in temperature very much, nothing wrong with that... but the thing is that the gpu is always within the threshold temperature where the fan start to spin, and as fast as it spins for like 2 sec, the temp goes under the treshold again.... this means the fans will start, stops, starts, stops, start...in an eternal loop :/....

I wonder if this should in the long run make the fan lose it´s life-span fast?

Well, a picture shows more than a thousand word, as you all know ;)..

this phenomenon happens when I am running around were there are a lot of ppl around (I think. look at the fan speed rpm):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/219096/gpu_fan.gif

and sometime this occurs too (look at the fan speed rpm):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/athe33x2sautn5j/Sk%C3%A4rmdump%2020...

The fan's lifespan should be fine and the noise should be low as well.
If you want you can setup a custom fan profile in Afterburner v4.0.0.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Emomilol1213:

Having serious with my MSI GTX 970. Core clock wont go above 405MHz no matter which game, getting lags since it wont move over it.
Running 344.16 drivers. I´ve tried running in different modes in the MSI Gamin App; OC Mode, Gaming mode, Silent mode. It doesent matter, it´s severly throttled.

This should only happen when the GPU gets too hot (Temperature limiter) or if the GPU draws too much power (Power limiter). Or in 2D operation.
Do you have a power supply unit (PSU) that is powerful enough (500W is the minimum but I recommend 650W or higher to be on the safe side).

Maybe your GPU gest too hot? You can check the GPU temperature (and if limiters are activated) with Afterburner v4.0.0 in the monitoring pane.

Afterbuner can also monitor the GPU core clock over time, so you can monitor the GPU more detailed.

If it still doesn't go higher than 405MHz, you should try the card in another system to double check (or contact the shop to do it for you).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

The fan's lifespan should be fine and the noise should be low as well.
If you want you can setup a custom fan profile in Afterburner v4.0.0.

Okey, so you dont think i should worry about it?
I frankly can´t hear the fans at all, but i haven´t actually stress test it very much yet ^^
Sure i can use the afterburner, but would´ve rather not actually, because of the extra MB ram that´s used... but i might do it either way

Visa signatur

Dator: ASRock B650i, AMD Ryzen 7600, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5, Corsair H115i Elite, INNO3D RTX 4060Ti 8GB TWINX2, SSUPD Meshlicious, Corsair SF850L skärm: Asus PB238Q, DELL U2211H kringutrustning: Corsair k70 TKL RGB, Logitech 603, SMSL SA 300, Magic S-4 EX

Permalänk
Avstängd

MSI:

Why, and i really mean WHY! didnt you put a backplate on your MSI GTX 980 Gaming??
Almost every manufacturer has it. Damn, i would have bought it directly if it had a backplate.
Cant cost much. ANd i belive the sales has dubbled, because most people who are enthusiasts want it nice and clean.
Not a damn naked pcb..sorry but im getting frustated. PLEASE RELEASE A BACKPLATE

Permalänk
Avstängd
Skrivet av makn:

MSI:

Why, and i really mean WHY! didnt you put a backplate on your MSI GTX 980 Gaming??
Almost every manufacturer has it. Damn, i would have bought it directly if it had a backplate.
Cant cost much. ANd i belive the sales has dubbled, because most people who are enthusiasts want it nice and clean.
Not a damn naked pcb..sorry but im getting frustated. PLEASE RELEASE A BACKPLATE

I think when people buying gpus today it's not all about performance. The looks is in many cases the most important thing, in my opinion.
You have a backplate on your 290x version. Looks really good

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Ruudt:

Hello there! I've had a GTX 780 gaming now for 6 months, and 2 days ago when i played a game my computer makes the sound of a small exploision and the computer shuts down. I immediately pull out all of the connections to the computer and notice that my graphic card smells burned. I remove all the graphic card just to test that all other components in the computer is intact. And as lucky as i am, they are. It's just the graphic card that broke down (tried another graphic card and it worked fine)

Does this cover my warranty? Still got 2.5 years left on it. I've never had any problems before and it was no outage or thunderstorm or what so ever. And my graphic card has been running for like 68'C on full load, so no problem on the cooling either. I've heard that the has been previous problems with VRM-cooling on the 780 gaming cards, is that true?

Visa signatur

Qnix 2560x1440p @ 120hz - MSI GTX 980 Gaming - Intel i7-2600K @ 4.4GHZ
Fractal Design Define R3 - MSI Z68A-GD65 - Sennheiser 598 + Modmic

Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB - Intel SSD 330 180gb - 5TB HDD - Noctua NH-U14S - Corsair TX 850W

Citera för svar!