Mix RAM CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 with CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

Permalänk
Medlem

Mix RAM CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 with CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

I know you are not supposed to mix RAM-memory. But the ones i have are not for sale any longer (CMD4GX3M2A1600C8). I have 4 GB but want to add more cause Adobe Lightroom eats up almost all my memory when i'm editing multiple raw-files. The ones i'm considering buying have the same specs as the ones i have but they have a different art. nr. (CMX4GX3M2A1600C8). The only difference i can find is that the latter are not Dominator.

Can i mix these without any trouble or performance decrease?

Thanks!

Visa signatur

i5 750 @ 3,8GHz/Coolermaster hyper 212+/Asus P7P55D/Corsair Dominator 2x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3/XFX 4770/Samsung spinpoint 1TB F3/Coolermaster silent pro 700W/Dell 2209 WA

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av babeloba:

I know you are not supposed to mix RAM-memory. But the ones i have are not for sale any longer (CMD4GX3M2A1600C8). I have 4 GB but want to add more cause Adobe Lightroom eats up almost all my memory when i'm editing multiple raw-files. The ones i'm considering buying have the same specs as the ones i have but they have a different art. nr. (CMX4GX3M2A1600C8). The only difference i can find is that the latter are not Dominator.

Can i mix these without any trouble or performance decrease?

Thanks!

I think you can mix them without having any problems. They are both running at the same speed 1600mhz and they have the same latencies, so you shouldn't get any performance decrease.

Why are we speaking english?

Visa signatur

Speldator: i7 2600k @ stock/ corsair vengeance 1600Mhz 2*4GB/ gigabyte 6950 2GB
Kontorsdator: AMD athlon 64 3800+ 2.4Ghz/ ram 776MB

Permalänk
Medlem

Thanks. He he, we are speaking English because this thread is where Corsair representatives answer questions. Don't think they know Swedish very well.

Visa signatur

i5 750 @ 3,8GHz/Coolermaster hyper 212+/Asus P7P55D/Corsair Dominator 2x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3/XFX 4770/Samsung spinpoint 1TB F3/Coolermaster silent pro 700W/Dell 2209 WA

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av babeloba:

Thanks. He he, we are speaking English because this thread is where Corsair representatives answer questions. Don't think they know Swedish very well.

Ohh well I'm not from corsair as you might have understood. I think you should wait for someone from corsair to answer. Because I'm not entirely sure you can mix them. I think you can but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Visa signatur

Speldator: i7 2600k @ stock/ corsair vengeance 1600Mhz 2*4GB/ gigabyte 6950 2GB
Kontorsdator: AMD athlon 64 3800+ 2.4Ghz/ ram 776MB

Permalänk
Corsair

The replacement for your kit is CMP4GX3M2A1600C8, which is the same regular black Dominator, but with the parametric data connector to support Corsair Link.

As you're going from two DIMMs to four DIMMs, you may run into some problems as the memory controller will be addressing twice as many ranks. We test and qualify specific 4 and 6 modules kits so that the modules work together, and so it's possible that using two different dual-channel kits won't work so well together. This would be complicated by the fact the new kit may use different ICs to your initial kit, since it's newer.

That said, it won't necessarily not work either, and you'd really have to try it and see. It's certainly possible they will work perfectly without you needing to do anything. Just make sure the memory timings and voltage are set correctly. If you do hit problems, you can trying increasing the voltage to the memory controller slightly, or reduce the speed from 1600MHz to 1333MHz, as this puts let strain on the MCH and should allow them to work.

The alternative is to go for a dedicated 8GB or 16GB kit, using 4GB DIMMs.

Visa signatur