VAT rates in sweden

Permalänk
Medlem

VAT rates in sweden

Hey guys,
Sorry for my english, I recently moved to sweden and still learning the language. I was just curious what your VAT rates are on hardware purchases? I see skatteverket lists most rates at 25% but I just paid 20% on a new case on webhallen, so I'm a bit confused as I dont see that figure listed anywhere. I am planning on buying more parts eventually so it would be great if I knew what I was paying for.

Thanks!

Permalänk
Medlem

The Swedish Tax Agency: VAT rates on goods and services

Visa signatur

“The dollar is our currency, but it's your problem.” -John Connally, President Nixon's Treasury Secretary to a group of European finance minsters
"Keep the Russians out, the Americans in, and the Germans down" -NATO Secretary General, Lord Ismay

Permalänk
Medlem

20% of the total price is VAT.

If your case cost 800 SEK and 25% VAT is added, you pay 1000 SEK, of which 20% is VAT. It’s just a common way to express it on a consumer receipt, as only consumers pay VAT.

Unfortunately 25% is the most common tax rate for everything that isn’t food, certain printed publications and so on.

Permalänk
Medlem

VAT is included, so for:

125 SEK purchase price it's 100 SEK excluding VAT and 100 * 1,25 is 125, or if you count from the other way it's 125 / 1,25 or 0,2 * 125.

If you had paid 25% of the amount then the tax would be 33 ⅓%.

The invoice will have the sum excluding VAT and it will say 25% (for a computer case) and the amount in SEK.

@Sveklockarn: Businesses do pay VAT, it's just that most businesses can offset the VAT from what they buy and sell.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Petterk:

@Sveklockarn: Businesses do pay VAT, it's just that most businesses can offset the VAT from what they buy and sell.

You are technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Sveklockarn:

You are technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Skatteverket will be fairly annoyed with your business if you do not pay VAT and account for it correctly, in a very practical sense.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av ffup:

Hey guys,
Sorry for my english, I recently moved to sweden and still learning the language. I was just curious what your VAT rates are on hardware purchases? I see skatteverket lists most rates at 25% but I just paid 20% on a new case on webhallen, so I'm a bit confused as I dont see that figure listed anywhere. I am planning on buying more parts eventually so it would be great if I knew what I was paying for.

Thanks!

As pointed out, the standard rate is 25 %, but that becomes 20 % if you divide the VAT by the total price. You'll get the price without VAT if you divide the total price by 1,25 instead. Do note that prices shall be given including VAT to consumers, ie it's not like the US where the sales tax (which conceptually is different) surfaces later. Sometimes you can choose online, since businesses are more interested in the price without VAT. They do pay VAT, but what they actually pay is usually the difference between what others have paid them and what they've paid others, the added value. Then there are complications to this like "omvänd moms" but that seems like outside the scope of the question...

There are also the lower rates of 6 and 12 %, where for example books are 6 and food is 12 %, but most goods are at 25 % which will include all computer parts.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av KAD:

Skatteverket will be fairly annoyed with your business if you do not pay VAT and account for it correctly, in a very practical sense.

There are some things that are not subject to VAT though, for example most insurance premiums. But in general you're correct, of course.

Permalänk
Inofficiell ambassadör
Skrivet av ffup:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Both numbers are correct at the same time The VAT on most goods and services are 25%. That means that of the total sticker price you see 20% is VAT.

100:- without VAT + 25% VAT = 125:-

125:- inc. VAT , 20% of that 125:- (i.e. 25:-) is VAT.

The cause of confusion here might be that all sticker prices in Sweden include the VAT-amount. Depending on where you're from you might be accustomed to the VAT being added at the register, on top of the listed sales price. No need to worry about that here, all prices listed for consumers always include VAT.

Visa signatur

Mobo Aorus B550 Pro V2 CPU Ryzen 5600X RAM Corsair Vengance 16GB @ 36000 MHZ
GPU MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X Skärm Acer X34A

Permalänk
Medlem

I feel like I should have figured this out on my own but it was late and the week has been long aha. Thanks so much for the info!

Permalänk
Avstängd

Exemptions are food (at stores or restaurants), hotels and similar things, where the tax is 12%, and "culture" where it's 6%, things like newspapers, books, magazines but also concert tickets and such, although not all concerts are deemed "culture" so some are taxed 25%. 6% also applies to most forms of public transport, bus, plane or train tickets, taxi fares and such. No VAT at all for education, bank services, insurance and such.