Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

[Completed] MetallicAcid's Fractal Effect 304

MetallicAcid's 3rd project - Fractal Effect 304
(Customer build)

Named forbes.com 1 of 3 most incredible PC's of 2014

Sponsored by:

Hello once again! I would like to present to you a build log that I am working on for a friend of mine.

My friend Henrik approached me just a couple of weeks ago and asked for me to build a computer for him, at which I jumped at the opportunity! After some spitballing about design options, Henrik decided that he really wanted his PC to have a design which was based upon Electronic Arts Mass Effect series... Henrik's most favorite gaming series ever!

Henrik gave me a couple of base guidelines to follow in the design and building of his new PC. These guidelines are as follows:
Simple
Compact
White
Hardware to be able to edit films
Play current games on high/ultra settings
One of a kind
Completed before end of December

With these points in mind, I then introduced him to the Fractal Design Node 304 to which he fell in love with right away. From these points, I came up with a design based up an armor found in game. These following pictures were used as inspiration, and a base of his design:

I present to you the design which was created in Sketchup, and rendered in Indigo Render.

A Quick hardware and shopping list:
Case - Fractal Design Node 304 (Bought)
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe (Bought)
CPU - Intel Core i7 2700K (Bought)
GPU - Nvidia ASUS GTX770 DCII 2GB (Bought)
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1866mhz 8GB (2x4GB) (Bought)
PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 600W (Bought)
SSD - Samsung EVO 250GB (Bought)
OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1

A small list of mods that will be performed:
Custom GPU Shroud
Sleeved cables
Cut aluminum panels for top of case
Custom LED lighting

Table of contents:
Update 1 (This post) - Concept and introduction
Update 2 - Cutting begins!
Update 3 - Wild Bitfenix appears!
Update 4 - Filing, fitting, fixing.
Update 5 - The Node 304 arrives to steal the show.
Update 6 - Proud sponsor #2 MSCB.se
Update 7 - Warranty? Pfft, that's for losers and pussies (Part1)
Update 8 - Dat chestplate!
Update 9 - The PSU shroud. I am so proud! I'm floating on the 9th cloud. I hope you're WOWed! (part 1)
Update 10 - Look!! Mum look!! I sleeved my USB 3.0 cable!! (and IO panel cables )
Update 11 - Warranty? Pfft, that's for losers and pussies (Part2)
Update 12 - I would like to introduce to you my biggest fans!
Update 13 - Size (length) matters!
Update 14 - The building begins!
Update 15 - Cool thrills, and Speed kills! (H80i and SSD installed)
Update 16 - The PSU shroud. I am so proud! I'm floating on the 9th cloud. I hope you're WOWed! (part 2)
Update 17 - Put on your armour soldier - We're going to battle!
Update 18 - The badge of honour.
Update 19 - Awwwww yissssss. Breadcrumbs. (Plexiglass window and final pictures)
Update 20 - Forbes.com has declaired Fractal Effect as one of the most incredible PC's of 2014

Final Pictures

Best regards,
MetallicAcid / Justin.

Permalänk

Ser riktigt snyggt ut! skall följas.

Visa signatur

Define C, GTX 1070, R5 1600, ROG STRIX B350-F, AX860
Logitech G533, Logitech G502, QPAD MK 80

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, Synology DS218+ 8TB, AKRACING GaMiNGl33t-stol, Lenovo Yoga 710

Permalänk
Permalänk

Awesome work MetallicAcid!

I wish you the best luck!

Visa signatur

Nils-Julius

Permalänk
Permalänk
Medlem

I'am sure you will do a awesome work! Will defently follow.

Visa signatur

HDD 1: Surface Book 2 15" (W10 Enterprise)
HDD 2: RYZEN 5900X, 64GiB, 2TB SSD, 2080 Super (W10 Enterprise)
Colo: 3 x Dell R710 (proxmox)

Permalänk
Medlem

Looks really nice with the color theme! Looking forward to further updates.

Visa signatur

Intel Core i7 6700K | Asus Strix 980 Ti | Asus Maximus VIII Gene | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 32GB | WD Green 3TB | Samsung M.2 256GB

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av upl8447:

I'am sure you will do a awesome work! Will defently follow.

Skrivet av Marelix:

Looks really nice with the color theme! Looking forward to further updates.

Thanks guys! I have an update coming up soon

MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Medlem

Followed!

Visa signatur

Chassi Phanteks Enthoo Evolv. MB Gigabyte GA-z97M-D3H. CPU Intel Core i5-4670K@4.3GHz. Kylning Phanteks PH-TC14PE BLUE. SSD OCZ-Agility 3 120GB. GPU Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz @1440MHz. RAM 16GB Kingston HyperX blu 1600mhz. PSU Antec High Current Pro 1200W.
Laptop ASUS K55VM, Intel Core i5-3210M, Nvidia GT630M 2GB. 6GB RAM. Samsung 840 250GB SSD.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MetallicAcid:

Thanks guys! I have an update coming up soon

MetallicAcid

Looking forward to see your work, probably not as much as the guy it's for though.

You're doing doing great with Swedish but warn people beforehand, caught me off guard!

Visa signatur

Falling In Reverse - Game Over

"Midway upon the journey of our life I found myself within a forest dark, For the straightforward pathway had been lost."

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av nccish:

Followed!

*Insert submarine picture here*

Skrivet av Curemylife:

Looking forward to see your work, probably not as much as the guy it's for though.

You're doing doing great with Swedish but warn people beforehand, caught me off guard!

Haha! I usually do, I thought you already knew for some reason

Thanks guys for subbing, and I hope not to disappoint!
MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Update 2
Cutting begins!

Welcome to the 2nd update of this fantastic customer build, pegged to take no more than the end of December to complete.

In this chapter I would like to introduce everyone to the alimunium armour pieces that I have cut out, that will be attached to the top of the Fractal Design Node 304. I have just two pictures to show this update, as these cuts were done during the week at work on my lunch break each day. These panels were created from setting up sketchup to print off the design in 1:1 ratio, and then just cut around the lines... Childs play!

I am sorry for the crappy pictures and unprofessional lighting, but I thought the importance to document this step took precedence over a photo shoot.. Once I have the panels glued and filed, I will set the old photobooth and get some glory shots for you guys!

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think so far of the build
MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Update 3
Wild Bitfenix appears!

I am proud to announce Bitfenix as a partner for this pocket rocket of a PC mod for Henrik. They have generously supplied me with 2 Spectre Pro PWM 120mm fans, and 6 120mm LED strips. I will put these to good use! Here is a couple of pictures to show the items up close.

Thank you Bitfenix for supplying this build with your fans and LEDs. This will help to make this build even more one of a kind!

As a mini text update, I am taking a half day from work to work exclusively with the mod. Expect some more progress very soon
MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Update 4
Filing, fitting, fixing.

Welcome to the 4th update of this Fractal Design Node 304 mITX build. Can anyone suggest a better name than Fractal Effect 304 for me?? I swear I am the worst person in the world to think of PC names!!

Anyways, within this update, I want to share my progress after todays work on the plates which will sit on top of this Node 304 case. I have come a long way with the cutting - filing and fitting them together, and would like to share with you some before and after shots. They still are not 100% complete though, and you might see some unstraight lines in the pictures... The final filing and sizing happens when I have the plates sitting on the case I have also started sanding in preparation for painting.

Before:

After:

That is it for this update and always, any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Best regards,
MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Skrivet av MetallicAcid:

Update 4

Welcome to the 4th update of this Fractal Design Node 304 mITX build. Can anyone suggest a better name than Fractal Effect 304 for me?? I swear I am the worst person in the world to think of PC names!!

Anyways, within this update, I want to share my progress after todays work on the plates which will sit on top of this Node 304 case. I have come a long way with the cutting - filing and fitting them together, and would like to share with you some before and after shots. They still are not 100% complete though, and you might see some unstraight lines in the pictures... The final filing and sizing happens when I have the plates sitting on the case I have also started sanding in preparation for painting.

Before:

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q771/Justin_Ohlsen/Henrik...

After:

That is it for this update and always, any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Best regards,
MetallicAcid

Looks very nice as always m8.
Just one question, how much time do you put into your builds? Im interested in putting up the same quality, but with two kids its a bit hard

And what is going on with your own build, very interested in that one.

Visa signatur

Lian Li O11 Dynamic | i9 9900KS @5GHz | Aorus Master Z390 | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB LED Pro 3200MHz | NZXT Kraken X72 | Gigabyte RTX 3080 OC | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000w | Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB | Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Asus Swift PG279Q IPS G-Sync | Ducky One 2 SF MX Red RGB | Philips Fidelio X1 | V-MODA BoomPro | Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av xxxPaladinxxx:

Looks very nice as always m8.
Just one question, how much time do you put into your builds? Im interested in putting up the same quality, but with two kids its a bit hard

And what is going on with your own build, very interested in that one.

This is going very quickly actually. All in all, with the planning, research, buying, setting up for render, and the physical modding, it has taken now total 14 hours (I am keeping a log) over a period of 3 weeks. But this said, I am working on it during my lunch breaks at work, and when we have down time between conferences and events. I am currently juggling full time work, spending time with my wife, entertaining and helping my 6 month old daughter, and part time 50% study.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Just have to find the balance and make sure that the family is first happy, then most other things fall into place.

Good luck with your own build, and keep your eyes peeled for more updates

MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Medlem

Ser ut att bli intressant! Blir kul att följa!

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Cheers Johnny!

Awesome to see your build is almost finished! It looks spectacular

MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Update 5
The Node 304 arrives to steal the show.

Hey guys and girls!

Today was all about the Fractal Design Node 304. I would like to give you a photo tour of this case, and give you my first impressions with working on this case. I can start off by saying that I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of this case, and I now want one for myself! Anyways, on with the tour!

Packaging:
The Fractal Design Node 304 was well packaged with a thick cardboard box protecting the precious cargo inside. The Node 304 had a plastic bag around the case to protect it from dust and debris. Outside of this plastic protection was a styrofoam packing on all four sides holding the case securely in the middle. Nothing to fault at all.

Outside:
If I had to sum up the Node 304 in 1 word, it would be "Quality". The paint work on this case is fantastic. The whole case felt solid, like a bomb shelter, when I think back and compare it the Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E which I own and used in my previous mod. The only 1 gripe that I had with this Node 304 though was that the screws were overtightened from the factory. I stripped one screw trying to remove the HDD/SSD bracket, and then drilled the rest of it out as the "rubber band trick" did not work.

Inside:
This case is fairly roomy inside once I took out the HDD/SSD holders. I can understand that it gets cramped if someone is to use this case as a media server/NAS and trying to fit in 200+ storage devices (OK, I am maybe exaggerating... A little). But I am going for a pure gaming rig here, so those big and bulky things have gots to go!!

Until next time guys!
MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Update 6
Proud sponsor #2 MSCB.se

Welcome to another installment of the Mass Effect inspired Node 304 from Fractal Design! I would like to announce MSCB.se as sponsor for all of my cable sleeving needs!

MSCB is a locally run small business here in Sweden, run by a young man named Mikael Svensson. He is single handedly fighting to bring independant sleeving to Sweden by importing and distributing high quality sleeving at a fraction of the cost of his market competition. I wish him the best of luck and give him support by highlighting his product in my latest project.

I have snapped a couple of quick shots of the sleeving, but I am afraid that my unprofessional photography skills do not do the sleeving justice.

In a mini text update, I have finished the filing, sanding, cleaning, gluing for the aluminium panels. I have even painted the base colour, and just finished the last coats of white for them, and will be masking off and filling in the edges with a half dark gray. Completed photos should be coming in by the end of the weekend. I have also made the decision that I will make a PSU shroud with some lines/design cut into it, and lit from underneath very much like in my ROG V Gene TJ08-E build. Imagine a white painted panel with orange and white LEDs shining from underneath This shroud also provides a platform for attaching P-clips for the 24pin and 8pin cables.

Oh yeahhhh..... This is going to be F*****G AWESOME when finished! I just might not let Henrik have it back...

Until next time,
MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Update 7
Warranty? Pfft, that's for losers and pussies (Part1)

Welcome to Justin's mad house of defouling electronics' warranties in the pursuit of beautification and functionality! In this update I would like to present to you the Fractal Design Newton R3 600W semi-modular PSU, and how in total disregard for its "Void warranty if removed" sticker - removed the top, and took around inside. No work has been done just yet though, but at least I know what I am dealing with now Here is what I seen:

I would like to get your opinions on which type of sleeving option would be the most aesthetically pleasing. I made a copy of mockups and pumped out a render to try and show in better detail what the 24pin could look like.

Please let me what you think about this project. I really want to hear what you are thinking, and what I can improve on. I want to build the best PC I can for Henrik, and any feedback from you guys would be greatly appreaciated!

Best regards,
MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Medlem

Nice build!

I prefer any one of the sleeving options to the left. I think those are the most Mass effect looking. I see a resemblance with the patterns on the armor in this picture:

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Permalänk

Great going with the project justin!

And by the way... PSU warranty? What's that?

Best regards
Mikael
MSCB

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av twk:

Nice build!

I prefer any one of the sleeving options to the left. I think those are the most Mass effect looking. I see a resemblance with the patterns on the armor in this picture: http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q771/Justin_Ohlsen/Henrik...

Thanks for the input twk. This was exactly what I was aiming for when designing those particular 24pin designs

Skrivet av MSCB:

Great going with the project justin!

And by the way... PSU warranty? What's that?

Best regards
Mikael
MSCB

Thanks Mikael Home insurance always wins, so store bought warranty is basically useless these days

MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Update 8
Dat chestplate!

Hello there!

In update 8 of this Mass Effect Node 304 build log I would like to present to you the completed chest piece which will be sitting on the very top face of this case. The white has a matte finish, and the grey has a blank/shiny finish. It looks awesome IRL but the pictures do not show. Once the plates are glued on, I will take more shots of it with the case and show it off! I do not have much else to say in this update other than I hope you guys like it

In a mini text update, I have finished sleeving the 24pin, and will soon start on the 8pin and GPU cables. I will also have to make the hole a little bigger as everything doesn't fit, and cramming everything in just doesn't work

MetallicAcid

Permalänk
Medlem

Looks fantastic!

Permalänk
Medlem

Nice!! Ser fram imot fler uppdateringar!!

Visa signatur

Dell U2311H / MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD
[ FD 7 Black TG Dark ][ MSI Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4][ I7 12700K ][ Noctau NH-D15 Black ][ Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 DDR4][ WD Blue M2 1TB][ Samsung 860 500 GB ][ WD Caviar Green (EZRX) 1TB ][ Corsair RM850x v3 ][ MSI GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB ][ Backup WD Caviar Green (EARX) 2TB ] [ Backup Seagate BarraCuda (ST2000DM006) 2TB ]
[ Qpad MK-50 ][ SteelSeries Sensei Ten ]

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av DDemis:

Looks fantastic!

Thanks Demis!! You always say just the right things

Skrivet av NightFred:

Nice!! Ser fram imot fler uppdateringar!!

Welcome nightfred to the build log!! I hope you enjoy future updates just as much!:)

MetallicAcid

Permalänk

Obviously I had to make an appearance in this thread. I'm the proud future owner of this build and I'm very exited about it!
At first I was worried it might be a little to much, with the omnitool-mod on the graphic card, the chest plate, logos (to come! ) and lighting. I've literally had to come to terms with my nerdiness, and have embraced it once more. What I've also learned from previous experience, is to trust the artist, and to give as free reins as possible.

About the color-scheme, I can't even remember if it was me or Justin who decided on white, grey and blue but the main reasons for this are:
- White looks better than black, especially on this beautiful node, so since the node is white it made more sense for white to be predominant.
- What makes Mass Effect so visually pleasing is the design and not necessarily the colors. The fact that I've always played a white and blue armor is just a happy coincidence!

Keep up the good work, good times a'coming!

/ Henrik

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av heatseek3r:

Obviously I had to make an appearance in this thread. I'm the proud future owner of this build and I'm very exited about it!
At first I was worried it might be a little to much, with the omnitool-mod on the graphic card, the chest plate, logos (to come! ) and lighting. I've literally had to come to terms with my nerdiness, and have embraced it once more. What I've also learned from previous experience, is to trust the artist, and to give as free reins as possible.

About the color-scheme, I can't even remember if it was me or Justin who decided on white, grey and blue but the main reasons for this are:
- White looks better than black, especially on this beautiful node, so since the node is white it made more sense for white to be predominant.
- What makes Mass Effect so visually pleasing is the design and not necessarily the colors. The fact that I've always played a white and blue armor is just a happy coincidence!

Keep up the good work, good times a'coming!

/ Henrik

Gday Henrik!!!! Great to see that you have joined the forum! Hopefully you become an involved member within in this awesome community See you are work later today

As a mini text update for everyone, I have now sleeved the 24pin and 8pin on my power supply, with the GPU cable hopefully finished by end of the weekend. I also have started work on a PSU shroud... It has been cut, bent, and a design being drilled/cut/filed as we speak. This will then be sanded and painted, and should be completed within the end of next week. A concept render and PSU progress will be posted very soon!

Peace!
MetallicAcid