Spelvärldens gamlingar. "Det var bättre förr".

Permalänk

Spelvärldens gamlingar. "Det var bättre förr".

The Escapist : Publisher Note 10: E for Everyone, Except Me

Citat:

Everyone is excited about E3 this year, it seems: Everyone except me. Every E3, I feel a bit more like a grognard, part of the old guard, a grumbler who talks about old wars. I find myself unmoved by new videogames in a way that would have been impossible for me to imagine in 2000, when I afflicted myself with carpal tunnel syndrome playing Asheron's Call, or in college in the 1990s when I skipped classes on a regular basis to play Master of Orion 2 and X-Com: UFO Defense.

It isn't that I don't like games anymore, or don't have time to play them. There's no pack of young children demanding my attention. I don't have any hobbies other than gaming, really. I still play tabletop role-playing games regularly, as I have since 1981. I recently played Magic: The Gathering and enjoyed it even more than I did when I was in high school. I have an Xbox 360 and a Wii and a gaming PC. So it's not that I've left videogames behind - videogames have left me behind. They've evolved, and I haven't.

I'm the first to admit that I have very distinct taste in games. I stopped playing the X-Com franchise when it became real-time, for instance. I still cherish the dream that MMOGs could be simulations like Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies, and not massively multiplayer amusement parks like World of Warcraft. I liked Baldur's Gate more than Mass Effect. I thought Bethesda evolved their designs in the wrong direction when they made the world smaller in Oblivion than it was in Morrowind and Daggerfall.

Indeed, it's hard not to feel like every facet of game design has evolved away from my tastes. It used to be that dozens of high-end games were released to my liking every year. Now there is or are maybe one or two. I know that there are hundreds of thousands of people who think like me, and who have their own quirky sub-set of tastes. Why don't we matter to the game industry anymore?

As with everything, economics is the answer.

All game developers, and even most gamers, are aware that it costs more to create a videogame for the latest generation of consoles than it took for prior generations. But how much more? While hard data is hard to come by, a variety of estimates are available on the web that support the following approximations:
1994: 4th generation premium videogames cost $200,000 to develop and retailed for $60-$80
1999: 5th generation premium videogames cost $1,000,000 to develop and retailed for $40-$60
2004: 6th generation premium videogames cost $5,000,000 to develop and retailed for $40-$60
2009: 7th generation premium videogames cost $25,000,000 to develop and retailed for $60-$80

We thus see a long-term trend analogous to Moore's Law, in which the development cost of videogames has quintupled every five years. Meanwhile, the retail price of games has hardly moved - indeed, it shifted downward for the better part of a decade, as CDs and DVDs replaced cartridges, only to return to $60 price points in the seventh generation.

Let's assume that the publisher has a net margin of 20% of the retail price, after paying the developer, console manufacturer and retailer their cuts. Let's also assume that the marketing budget of a game is always equal to the development budget, and assume an average $50 price point over the life of a game. What results?

1994: 4th gen videogames had to sell to 16,000 customers to break even
1999: 5th gen videogames had to sell to 80,000 customers to break even
2004: 6th gen videogames had to sell to 400,000 customers to break even
2009: 7th gen videogames had to sell to 2,000,000 customers to break even

This isn't rocket science, of course. Given exponentially increasing development cost and a fixed retail price, a game mathematically must reach more consumers to be profitable. The math is simple but the implications are not.

What does it mean to say that in 1999 a videogame only needed to reach 80,000 customers to break even? It means that videogames once had economics similar to book publishing or music publishing. A low cost of production relative to retail price point creates a low breakeven point that incentivizes publishers to invest in top-quality genres that cater to specific niches. They can capture every consumer's taste, no matter how obscure, with something great. This is why Barnes & Noble has a separate section for "World War II History books" as distinct from "American Civil War history books" and it's why record stores carry bands that are pretty underground.

And it's why a publisher like Talonsoft used to be able to profitably publish premium games with cutting-edge graphics aimed at a niche audience. When Age of Sail was published in 1996, it was a premium title on retail storefronts within the mainstream genre of strategy simulations. It was competing against two other games at retail, Wooden Ships and Iron Men and Admiral Sea Battles, within the 19th century naval simulation genre alone!

Of course, this is not to say that the best-selling titles of the past were developed for niche segments. The best-selling games of the 1990s were all broadly accessible games such as Pokémon, Super Mario World, and Sonic the Hedgehog. Best-selling product is always accessible to large audiences: That's what makes it best-selling. That doesn't change for any medium or genre, whether that's fantasy books like Lord of the Rings, historical movies like Gone with the Wind, or whatever it is that Mario Kart 64 is.

Best-sellers notwithstanding, videogames once had economics similar to book publishing or music publishing, and now they don't. Now they have economics similar to movie publishing, where you have "blockbusters" aimed at mass audiences, and "made for TV" and "B" movies aimed at niches. The result is that the number of genres that can be supported with high-end product collapses. If you want to make specific niches, you can't develop high-end games. If you want to make high-end games, you have to develop for the widest possible audience.

This is harmful to our industry, of course, because the ability to target niches goes hand in hand with the ability to take creative risks, while the demand for wide audiences leads to stultification and decay. But the industry has found ways to still innovate: The burgeoning indie games movement, for instance, provides continuous new innovation. But niche consumers who used to enjoy premium content still lose out. Indie games, no matter how innovative, can no more satisfy my tastes than YouTube videos about cowboys can satisfy those who want Hollywood to do blockbuster Westerns again.

Consider two examples that demonstrate this evolution in a genre I care about: Talonsoft's successor is Matrix Games. Matrix Games continues to release amazing wargames, but the graphics are no longer state of the art, the price points are lower, and the games are exclusively available via digital distribution because strategy simulation titles don't move enough units compared to other genres to command retail shelf space. The games that Matrix Games releases today are, of course, as good as or better than those released by Talonsoft - but they are not premium games for their platform.

Creative Assembly, on the other hand, took the other path. CA, which won my heart with Shogun: Total War, has sustained the highest levels of production value in their Total War games, but each generation has had a faster pace and less authentic historical feel. Rome Total War was the turning point when troops were sped up to hyper-kinetic rates and the Egyptians were equipped with ahistorical arms and armor to sustain pop sensibilities. The most recent games feel more like Civilization meets Warcraft than anything a company like Talonsoft would produce.

I still buy games from both companies, all the while wishing that CA's games were more historical, and Matrix's more beautiful. I don't blame Creative Assembly or Matrix for adapting to the new ecological realities. They needed to in order to survive. I'm the one who hasn't evolved.

So at E3 this year, I'll be prowling around like some sort of saber-toothed tiger of videogaming. My food supply has grown scarce; my days as an apex consumer are limited. I'm rated E for Endangered.

Alexander Macris is co-founder and publisher of The Escapist, as well as president and CEO of its parent company, Themis Media. He has also written two tabletop wargames, conceived and edited the book "MMORPGs for Dummies," and designed the award-winning web game "Heroes Mini." After hours, he serves as president of Triangle Game Initiative, the Raleigh-Durham area's game industry association, and runs a weekly tabletop roleplaying game campaign of concentrated awesomeness.

Så vad säger ni som kan relatera till artikeln. Är vi så utdöende? Kommer vi vara tvungen att sitta kvar med samma spel tillslut då de nyare spelen driver mer och mer bort från våra smaker.

Visa signatur

Asus Maximus II formula, E8400 @ 3.9GHz, 4GB Dominator DDR2, Radeon HD4850.

Permalänk
Medlem

Lite läskigt att läsa men intressant, framtiden får se. Vågar inte gissa
Dock håller jag med ganska mycket

Visa signatur

| CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K | Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65 ATX | Ram: Corsair 16GB (4x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE | GFX: Gigabyte HD7970 OC 3GB | SSD: Corsair Force 3 120GB | HDD: Diverse Mekaniska 4TB | Chassi: Corsair 800D | PSU: Corsair AX 850W 80+ Gold Modulär | CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 |
Citera mig så hittar jag tillbaka hit :)

Permalänk
Medlem

Jag tror (hoppas kanske är ett bättre ord) på att indiespel kommer kunna ta in lite på högbudgetspel framöver i takt med att verktyg som Unreal Development Kit och Unity3D blir bättre och mer lättillgängliga. Det som tar mest tid antar jag är att bygga snygga 3D-modeller att använda i de världar man bygger med nyss nämnda verktyg men om man tränar tillräckligt många chimpanser att använda 3D Studio Max kanske det funkar. Iofs är det väl bara stora spelföretag som har råd att skaffa chimpanser...

I guess we're doomed.

Permalänk

Det som är "läskigast" är att jag som (snart) artonåring känner nästan likadant...

Permalänk
Sötast
Skrivet av Lilleputten:

Det som är "läskigast" är att jag som (snart) artonåring känner nästan likadant...

Det blir snabbt så, själv är jag snart 25 och har kännt så i flera år.

Det märks t.ex när folk lovordar spel som "Modern Warfare 2"

Ett spel som inte tillför något till marknaden, utan faktiskt tar flera steg tillbaka i utvecklingen.

Vi äldre/gamers skriker och flåsar om hur dåligt det är och undrar vad fan de gör och hur folk kan spela det.

På exakt samma gång så skriker folk och kan inte andas, för att de tycker spelet är det bästa som släppts bara just för att de inte har upplevt bättre.

Är en ond cirkel som nog aldrig kommer ta slut.

95% av alla spel kommer säljas till den yngre/mindre erfarna publiken, och vi andra får sitta och vänta på ett guldkorn som kommer då och då.

_

Det kommer aldrig bli som förr, då spelen såldes till gamers, för de hade helt enkelt inget annat val.
Och det handlade inte heller bara om att ha ett val, de flesta företagen som gjorde spel älskade själva spel, de var själva gamers och strävade efter perfektionism och ett underbart äventyr.
De sålde spelen till oss, som älskade spelen på samma gång som vi krävde väldigt mycket av dem.

Det var ett mycket trevligt förhållande man hade.
Idag är det ju något helt annat.

EA games - Pengar, inget annat än pengar. Spel vad är det? Ja juste, det är vår produkt. Den säljer, det är bra. Resten det kan vi skita i! Vi har ju svensson där hemma med sin Xbox 360.

Det värsta är att för 5-10 år sen kunde man ju skylla nästan alla dåliga spel på EA games, men idag så är det mer regel än undantag att det bara är pengarna man är ute efter oavsett företag.

Välkommen på listan - Blizzard.

Permalänk

vill ni ha ett spel som förr, ett guldkorn och vad ni nu snackar om. spela darkfall. det är coolt. det är svårt.

Permalänk
Sötast
Skrivet av grontoankan:

vill ni ha ett spel som förr, ett guldkorn och vad ni nu snackar om. spela darkfall. det är coolt. det är svårt.

Darkfall har inte ens 10% av det som krävs för att kunna klassas som ett oldschool guldkorn.

Permalänk
Medlem

Det är precis som på Högskolan, "Det var bättre förr!"

Visa signatur

[ Corsair 460X ] [ Corsair HX750i ] [ AMD Ryzen 5800X ] [ Zotac RTX3080 Trinity OC] [ Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming]
[ 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3800Mhz DDR4 ] [ Samsung 980 Pro 500GB + 960 EVO 500GB ] [ Logitech PRO X 2 ] [ Corsair H115i ] [ Win11 ] [Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ]

Permalänk

En annan bra artikel, om än lite mer satirisk:

The Day the Gaming Industry Died: Impressions from E3 2010 | Cracked.com

Annars kan jag bara ta och hålla med, nånstans där inne intalar jag mig själv att spelen blir sämre men samtidigt är det något som säger att det är bara jag som har blivit äldre, man uppskattar inte spel lika mycket nu som när man var en barnslig 8:a åring.

Hursomhelst så verkar det som spelmarknaden börjar lida av samma problem som musikindustrin, man skiter ur sig några artister som man hypar som fan, sen mjölkar man dem tills öronen blöder. Man bör inte räkna med att spelgiganter som Activision och EA kommer försöka göra innovativa spel, dom kommer köra på säkra kort och fortsätta mjölka WoW, CoD och sen försöka hitta nästa guldkort att mjölka pengar ur.

Om 10-15 år kommer kanske dagens 'gamers' gnälla om hur det var bättre förr med MW2, WoW osv.

Visa signatur

"Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly"

Permalänk
Medlem

Tror en stor del av problemet ligger i att många människor i branschen alltifrån journalister, utvecklare, utgivare till gamers underskattar den mer "nischade" marknaden och överskattar mainstream marknaden en hel del. Väldigt få spel säljer så pass bra som tex Modern Warfare, Mario och Halo spelen och faktum är att relativt få titlar idag lyckas ta sig över 1 miljon sålda exemplar. Ändå finns det spel gjorda av mindre utvecklare som lyckas komma nära eller tom över dessa siffror som tex The Witcher, Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl och Sins of the Solar Empire. Nya ip:n som bara släpps på en plattform men tack vare goda betyg och en entusiastisk community ändå lyckas väldigt bra.

Marknaden för storsäljande spel som Modern Warfare 2 är däremot väldigt begränsad pga flertalet som köper sådana titlar är yngre människor med en begränsad budget och väljer därför det spel som är populärast just då och kompisarna spelar. Dessutom spenderar vissa företag oerhörda summor på marknadsföring också, 200 miljoner dollar lade Microsoft ut att marknadsföra Halo 3, dvs tillsammans med dem 55 miljoner som spelet kostade att utveckla (dem åt väl mycket glass eller nått ) krävdes alltså en försäljning på ca 4-5 miljoner för att spelet skulle gå runt. I det fallet räknade troligtvis Microsoft även med att spelet säljer en hel del xbox 360 också men ändå. Tror ni tex Killzone 2 som kostade 45 miljoner dollar att utveckla plus x antal miljoner i marknadsföring har gått med stor vinst med sina 2 miljoner sålda exemplar?

Har man inte en omfattande marknadsföringsmaskin och tillräckligt känt märke tror jag det är betydligt bättre att hålla sig till en mindre mer nischad marknad med en trogen fanbase istället för att ha den guldgrävare mentaliteten som allt för utgivare/utvecklare har idag.