Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

MetallicAcid's Monolith FT03

Hello guys and girls of modding and welcome to my project build log!

The introduction
I am about to kick off another project that I have been designing for roughly 2 months now. I have this perfect opportunity to work on this project whilst I wait for PC components to come in for my ongoing black and gold Silverstone TJ07 project. The TJ07 project has been put on hold for 2 months, so the end of July is my deadline to finish this Silverstone FT03 project. This will be my fourth project since May 2013.

The project
This project is primarily a simple upgrade for my personal gaming rig, to turn it more into a design capable PC with boosted CPU power and looks to kill. This PC will have an upgraded CPU coming from an i5 2500k to an i7 4770k. I will also have a fully upgraded watercooling loop which will also include the GPU this time. The radiator will be no less than an 85mm thick MONSTA Phobya 400x200mm radiator sitting on the back of the FT03 case like a backpack of sorts. lastly, this project will feature aluminium "armour" panels to give it a unique look and make the external rad tie into the overall design.

The hardware
Silverstone Fortress FT03
Intel Core i7 4770K @4.8ghz 1.4v
ASUS Gryphon mATX Z87 + Armor Kit
Corsair Vengeance Pro 4x4GB @ 2133mhz
Silverstone Strider ST85F-P 850W PSU
ASUS GTX780 3GB SLI
Phobya Xtreme 400x200x85mm radiator
Phobya G-Silent 818 180mm fan x2
Be Quiet! SilentWings 2, 80mm PWM x2
Swiftech Apogee Drive II CPU/pump combo
EK-RES X3 110 reservior
EK-FC780 GTX Ti - Acetal+Nickel x2
EK-FC780 GTX Ti Backplate - Black x2
Icemodz RGB LED strips

The Renders

The conclusion
So to round things up, this project is going to be (hopefully) short and sweet. The custom aluminium panels I will have CNC milled as I have learnt a CAD program and created all the necessary files. All of the hardware I already own and am currently running as of writing this first post. And lastly I have had a great time designing this project first in SketchUp and learning a professional CAD software (Autodesk Inventor). I can safely say that modding is my passion, and I really hope to make it my profession!

The sponsors
I would like to thank Aquatuning.se for sponsoring the following items to help make this project become more than renders and 3D models:

Phobya Xtreme 400
Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm Slim black
Vandal proof Power button 16mm White
Alphacool bulkhead fitting G1/4 - deep black
Phobya ATX-bridging plug (24 Pin) - black

Thank you to Mundi at Icemodz.com, who has given the following products to make the inside of my project look as nice as it possibly could.

Be Quiet SilentWings 2, 80mm PWM

Thank you to Marie at Silverstone for suppliing the project with the following items.

Silverstone Strider ST85F-P 850w PSU
Silverstone Short cable kit PP05

Thank you to Karolina at Caseking.de for sponsoring some coolant and a flexible short cable kit for the Silverstone PSU.

Mayhems Pastel Raspberry Purple coolant
Silverstone Flexible Short cable kit PP05-E

Thank you to Peter at EK Water Blocks which supplied the best in watercooling gear.

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Final Photos

Kind regards,
Justin "MetallicAcid" Ohlsen

Permalänk
Medlem

Seems like a very interesting project

Visa signatur

Moderkort: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H CPU: Intel i5 4690k GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600mhz

Permalänk
Medlem

I don't know what to say...
Too cool to be true

Visa signatur

2600k @ STOCK <|> GTX 970 Omega!<|> Nån samsung 500gb ssd <|> 16 GB Kingston Hyper X <|> BenQ XL2420t
"Det finns inget skrot, bara gamla delar som kan användas på nya sätt" - Mulle Meck

Permalänk
Medlem

Ser onekligen coolt ut, ska bli kul att följa.

Visa signatur

Alla mina leksaker får inte plats här, så här jag listar istället mina favoritinlägg:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Utelåst hobbymoderator

Permalänk
Medlem

Pure awesomeness man, pure!

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av Timelord Sloth:

Seems like a very interesting project

Awesome to hear! I am really pumped to see it happen.

Skrivet av elklazor:

I don't know what to say...
Too cool to be true

thank man! Seems I am on the right path

Skrivet av Bakgrund:

Ser onekligen coolt ut, ska bli kul att följa.

Thanks Background! I hope to hear some feedback in the upcoming updates on how this project can be better.

Skrivet av iSw3de:

Pure awesomeness man, pure!

Hey dude!! Thanks Great to see you joining up!

What awesome feedback already from you guys! Can't wait to post the next update

Best regards,
Justin

Permalänk
Medlem

Ser riktigt snyggt ut. Svart och lila går riktigt bra ihop (om det är det du tänkt använda i projektet).

Visa signatur

Har en förkärlek för alternativa standarder och trä; Trädator, Trätangentbord.

Permalänk

Fan. Vad. Snyggt.

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av hag.com:

Ser riktigt snyggt ut. Svart och lila går riktigt bra ihop (om det är det du tänkt använda i projektet).

Skrivet av xGreenRed:

Fan. Vad. Snyggt.

Cheers guys! Purple is the main colour that I will have, but I am considering using a white pastel and having the RGB LED set the colour theme. This way I can have any colour I want! What do you think @hag.com?

/Justin

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Welcome to the first update!

Welcome to the first update

With this update, I am very pleased to announce Aquatuning.se as a sponsor to this project. I would just like to thank Andreas for his help and hope that he enjoys following this project. The care package from Aquatuning contained the following items:
Phobya Xtreme 400
Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm Slim black
Vandal proof Power button 16mm White
Alphacool bulkhead fitting G1/4 - deep black
Phobya ATX-bridging plug (24 Pin) - black

And here a couple of photos of what came in the care package:

I have to say that this rad is certainly overkill - My wife just looked at the rad, shook her head and walk away. That feeling of satisfaction that overcame was simply divine! It is seriously heavy, and it has made me rethink the mounting method I had previously planned. It's an easy fix which involves aluminium U channel, screws, cutting, filing and painting. I will pick up the materials tomorrow and hopefully have the rad attached to the case by Tuesday night. I would do it sooner, but the latest episode of Game Of Thrones will be on tomorrow

In other news, I have repainted all of the case in a matt carbon black tone, and my does it look great! The front panel in the above picture is already sporting the new awesome blackness!

I hope you have enjoyed this waffle-free update!

Permalänk
Medlem

One of my favourite chassis of all time, my former rig was a mATX one within this case and was running a i5 2500K @ 4,8Ghz with 2 7970 CF while being really quiet and cool running.
One thing to remember is not to run 7200rpm drives in it, as they tend to run a bit hot with the design with them mounted behind the motherboard tray...

Visa signatur

Riggen:ASRock X570M Pro4 - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Corsair 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Corsair MP510 960Gb NVME - EVGA 1080ti SC2 - 3x Samsung 840 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650W - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini Dark TG
NAS: FreeNAS @ HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 - Xeon E3-1230 V2 - 16Gb Kingston ECC RAM - Intel 530 120Gb - IBM m1015/LSI 9220-8i - 4x WD Red 3Tb

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av skogsvilden:

One of my favourite chassis of all time, my former rig was a mATX one within this case and was running a i5 2500K @ 4,8Ghz with 2 7970 CF while being really quiet and cool running.
One thing to remember is not to run 7200rpm drives in it, as they tend to run a bit hot with the design with them mounted behind the motherboard tray...

I kind of suspected as much. Luckily for me I do not own a 3.5" HDD

/Justin

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MetallicAcid:

Cheers guys! Purple is the main colour that I will have, but I am considering using a white pastel and having the RGB LED set the colour theme. This way I can have any colour I want! What do you think @hag.com?

/Justin

Med en rgb slipper man ju välja tills det är klart och man kan se efter vad som blir snyggast, så det är väl bara positivt. Hoppas dock personligen på att det kombineras med svart och inte vitt om det blir ett lila tema... Andra färger passar väl till vitt men just lila/svart är som sagt en riktigt bra kombination.
Eller missförstår jag? White pastel som i typ en glowbox med rgb? Det hade kunnat bli awesome i så fall. Mina engelskakunskaper är väl inte så bra som de hade kunnat vara...

Visa signatur

Har en förkärlek för alternativa standarder och trä; Trädator, Trätangentbord.

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

Hey guys!

I don't have so much of a big update but rather that I have just finished painting the panels in a matt carbon black colour. The reason why I have done this is because the anodizing was sun damaged and started to turn a gold/pink colour. So I just gave all of the panels a nice sanding, thorough clean then a few coats of the paint, and finally a clear coat.
They turned out very nice

In other news, I went to the hardware store to get the U-profile aluminium, but the stores' personnel could not find it. I have one on back order, and it should arrive in a few days. I also ordered the ASUS Armor Kit for the Z87 Gryphon motherboard today, and that too should arrive this week.

That is it from me for now. Take care
Justin.

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

[B]Welcome to the latest update!

[/B]

Welcome again to another update

Today I would like to report on progress made with making a paper prototype of the top plate, where the tubing will go through into the PC. I do not like the original plate as I think that there is too much going on which takes away from the clean look that I am aiming for. Here is what it looks like "stock":

Here is the first prototype that I had made and printed from SketchUp. I thought it was missing something...

And the last prototype. This one I am most happy with. To get a start on the tube routing, I might have to make this panel by hand instead of waiting for the CNC mill to be repaired.

And here is the associated render to show what I am aiming for. I am currently debating if I should have the front IO panel or not. I do not need it, and plan on installing a vandal switch somewhere else, so it might just go.

I will be picking up the U-channel which came in just today at my local hardware store, so I hope to have it cut, ready to be painted with the rad installed.

Have a good one!
[/size]

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

[/B]

Hey guys!

Today's update is featuring some Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 16GB RAM that I modified with giving it a lick of Carbon Black paint. I am planning on doing something with the stickers at a later time, like creating my own or covering them with vinyl. There isn't much more to write about, so enjoy the pics

Bonus photo: A nice way to have them cure faster There is plenty of warmth coming from this Dell Ultrasharp 27U11 to help with this normally long procces.

Thanks for coming along and reading once again!
Best regards,

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

[/B]

Hi again guys and girls!

Today's update is featuring the rad brackets which I have fabricated from 40x40x4mm aluminium U-channel. They will support the radiator whilst it is hanging from the back panel of the FT03 case. The process involved drilling a whole lot of holes, then sawing the holes which are on an angle, and then to bend up the flap like it was a can of goulasch. And a lot of filing of course!

My workshop this time was on my shitty little balcony. It is always nice with some fresh air, and to keep our apartment free of aluminium chips.

In the coming pictures, I try to show how the fans+rad+ bracket is held together. I tapped holes into the aluminium profile so that when the screws go through the aluminium, then then continue into the holes of the radiator bracket, holding everything in place.

In other news, I am just wrapping up painting the rad brackets, and will have some pictures coming up within a day or so! Thanks for once again reading my project log

Best regards,

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MetallicAcid:

This is one sick build. Loving the design and color combo

Quick question, the fans are going to blow air right on to the back panel of the case, is that going to affect the performance of the radiator? How big is the gap between the fan and the case? Or are you going to make some holes to get some airflow in to the case?

Visa signatur
Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av BennyZ:

This is one sick build. Loving the design and color combo

Quick question, the fans are going to blow air right on to the back panel of the case, is that going to affect the performance of the radiator? How big is the gap between the fan and the case? Or are you going to make some holes to get some airflow in to the case?

Thanks mate!

The orientation of the fans are not yet decided. I am thinking of having them suck in air from between the case panel pushing through the rad. I will also be sealing up the gap between the fan and rad with some rubber gasket. The gap is around 11mm. I do want the rad and fans to be a separate zone to the case, so I have not considered creating any holes in that back panel. I hope I got all the questions!

Best regards,
Justin.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MetallicAcid:

Thanks mate!

The orientation of the fans are not yet decided. I am thinking of having them suck in air from between the case panel pushing through the rad. I will also be sealing up the gap between the fan and rad with some rubber gasket. The gap is around 11mm. I do want the rad and fans to be a separate zone to the case, so I have not considered creating any holes in that back panel. I hope I got all the questions!

Best regards,
Justin.

Yes you did 11mm should work, I think my NZXT H440 has 15mm gap for the intake on the front panel and it seems to be supplying my case with enough airflow.

Visa signatur
Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av BennyZ:

Yes you did 11mm should work, I think my NZXT H440 has 15mm gap for the intake on the front panel and it seems to be supplying my case with enough airflow.

Fantastic to hear! If there is a shortage or air supply, I can always screw on a set of 200mm fans to have a push/pull config. That would sort it out me thinks

Best regards,
Justin

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MetallicAcid:

Today I would like to report on progress made with making a paper prototype of the top plate, where the tubing will go through into the PC. I do not like the original plate as I think that there is too much going on which takes away from the clean look that I am aiming for.
...And here is the associated render to show what I am aiming for.

Neat, but isnt there any need for airflow through the case for the stuff that isnt watercooled?
(It seems to me there's not much room for ventilation, but then it might not need it either?)

Visa signatur

A modest man is usually admired, if people ever hear of him.

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

[/B]

Welcome again to another update

With this update I would like to thank Icemodz.com for supplying this project with all that I could possibly need to make sure that my sleeving is beautiful and that the case has LED lighting, plus everyting else in between!

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

[/B]

It is update time again folks

I have created a nice little walkthrough for your viewing pleasure after a certain mod has been completed. A photo update is soon to follow
Without further adue, here comes the video:

Thanks for once again joining my project in it's latest update, and hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,
Justin "MetallicAcid" Ohslen

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare

[/B]

Hi and welcome to another one of my updates!

This update is all about painting, and the completion of the radiator being mounted onto the back of the case, as seen in the video in the previous update. So far I am really happy with the progress that I have made and the end result of the mod.

The coming photos are in no real order, but I have tried to show kind of like "Before-After" shots of the various parts. I ended up painting the entire frame, all panels, the rad bracket and radiator itself. I also wanted to get rid of all silver inside of the case, so I even painted the screws and pop rivets. I must say that it is looking mighty sexy!

Now that this is completed I will start work on the top panel if time permits so that I can get a start on the watercooling. This panel will be a second priority though as I have some parts rolling in now for my Silverstone TJ07 project, so my focus will then be on completing that project with any free time going into this one.

So with that said, I would like to thank you for once again reading another one of my updates! Please let me know what you think!

Best regards,

Permalänk
Medlem

ojoj, du är helt galen!
Underbart projekt, riktigt roligt att följa.
Blir riktigt bra som det ser ut nu!

Permalänk
Medlem

Damn it looks nice in all black. Just like I did with my build, only better in every way!

What kind of paint are you using?

Permalänk
Proffsmoddare
Skrivet av ragequit:

ojoj, du är helt galen!
Underbart projekt, riktigt roligt att följa.
Blir riktigt bra som det ser ut nu!

Thank you Rage! I am happy with how it turned out I am almost ready to move the PC parts from my TJ08B-E case to this one, but still run it on air until I get in the water cooling parts See you in the next update!

Skrivet av biorrith:

Damn it looks nice in all black. Just like I did with my build, only better in every way!

What kind of paint are you using?

And thank you Bio! I am using Liquitex Professional carbon black, and finished it with 3 coats clearcoat. The paint is bought from Clas Ohlson.. But is not shit quality as far as I can tell. It has held up against scratching and me being careless with it.

Best regards,
Justin.

Permalänk
Medlem

Wow! Häftigt bygge, kommer följa