Corsair DDR3 memory for Rampage IV Black Edition.

Permalänk
Medlem

Corsair DDR3 memory for Rampage IV Black Edition.

Hello Corsair,

Thank You for creating so many wonderful professional products for us enthusiasts.

I have a question regarding Corsair DDR3 memory for my motherboard that I was hoping you could help me with.

I have recently bought a Rampage IV Black Edition motherboard (http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/) and I am looking for the best Corsair memory configuration for this motherboard. I have used Corsair memory before with good results.

I have tried to read up on which Corsair memory/memory configuration would suit my needs best and also is supported by the motherboard but I must admit I am at a loss.

I am trying to achieve the following:

I would like (if possible) to have 64GB of memory in my system.
I am looking for best possible performance.
I am not looking to overclock.
I would like to take advantage (if possible) of the Quad Channel Memory Architecture of the motherboard.
Cost is not an issue.

I have been researching information about your Dominator Platinum series and Dominator GT series but I have not been able to determine the best option for my needs based on memory speed and dual/quad capacity. Or maybe I should be looking into another memory series?

What memory configuration would you recommend would be the ideal solution for my needs?
If you could also provide part nr for your memory suggestions it would greatly help me locating the memory when searching resellers inventory.

Best Regards & Thank You in advance,
/Carl Axelius

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av CarlAx:

Just buy 8x8GB ram and you will get 64GB of memory, your motherboard supports it.

Skrivet av CarlAx:

The performance/price scaling is pretty horrible when it comes to memory, I think that the best you can get is Corsair Platinum 2400MHz CL10 but thats pretty stupid imo and extremly expensive if you need 64GB. Get something like 4x Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz CL9 2x8GB or 2400MHz CL11 if you need the speed. You could get platinum but you are paying for the looks, especially if your not going to overclock. The real life performance gain over 1866MHz CL9 is pretty small, its more for benchmarks, e-penis and overclock extravaganza.

Skrivet av CarlAx:

I would like to take advantage (if possible) of the Quad Channel Memory Architecture of the motherboard.

There are no special quad channel memory, if you put in four memory sticks in the right dimms you will get quad channel.

Permalänk
Medlem

What pokes my curiosity the most is what you need 64GB of RAM for. That's a quite hefty setup. I'm assuming you're using your machine for something else than gaming because surely 8GB should be more than enough for just about any game still?

Visa signatur

..:: trickeh2k ::..
Windows 11 Pro - Ryzen 7 7800X3D - ASUS TUF B650-PLUS - Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 64GB CL36 - MSI MAG A850GL - MSI RTX 4080 VENTUS 3X OC - Acer Predator XB271HU - ASUS VG248QE - QPAD MK-85 (MX-Brown)/Logitech G PRO Wireless - Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 860 500GB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB - Steelseries Arctic 5 - Cooler Master Masterbox TD500 Mesh V2

Permalänk
Corsair
Skrivet av CarlAx:

I am trying to achieve the following:

I am not looking to overclock.
Cost is not an issue.

Hello CarlAx,

Well, based on that info you've provided, it's really hard to recommend a RAM if we don't know what the system is going to be used for. Assuming that you just want the best of the best, then go with the 64GB Dominator Platinum 2133 pr 2400, which are insanely expensive, and like what sKRUVARN said, you probably wont see the benefit in real world application when running 1866 vs 2400. Plus, you've mentioned that no overclock - If you are not going to OC, then it may be best to hover around 1866Mhz speed grade. Also, reconsider a 32GB kit over 64GB, I know cost is not an issue, but you can use the extra dough for something else.

Regarding the quad channel, your memory controller will run it at quad as soon that you put in 4 sticks to the correct DIMM slots.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av sKRUVARN:

Just buy 8x8GB ram and you will get 64GB of memory, your motherboard supports it.
The performance/price scaling is pretty horrible when it comes to memory, I think that the best you can get is Corsair Platinum 2400MHz CL10 but thats pretty stupid imo and extremly expensive if you need 64GB. Get something like 4x Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz CL9 2x8GB or 2400MHz CL11 if you need the speed. You could get platinum but you are paying for the looks, especially if your not going to overclock. The real life performance gain over 1866MHz CL9 is pretty small, its more for benchmarks, e-penis and overclock extravaganza.

There are no special quad channel memory, if you put in four memory sticks in the right dimms you will get quad channel.

Many thanks for your detailed answer and for pointing out
the pros and cons regarding the different memory speeds/CL.
I continued to read up on the technical aspects of this
and I think I understand it a little better now.

As you say, and from the information I have found, the normal real life noticible difference between Mhz speed and the difference in CL seems to be minimal.

Again, many thanks for clearifying this for me :).

/Carl

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av trickysaer:

What pokes my curiosity the most is what you need 64GB of RAM for. That's a quite hefty setup. I'm assuming you're using your machine for something else than gaming because surely 8GB should be more than enough for just about any game still?

I know what you mean.
I am primary building the computer for gaming.
And for that purpose 64GB of RAM would be overkill.

However I will also be running (hopefully if all goes well)
a virtual test lab on the same computer. I recently changed jobs
and then I had to return the servers I had borrowed which I ran
the virtual test lab. Which means that at the moment I will only have
one hardware to run multible functions at home (not ideal I know, but it is the best I can do right now).

I will be running some multiple memory heavy applications/systems (SQL, Exchange, SystemCenter, WSUS, PDM) which could take advantage of the extra RAM.

/Carl

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Greybeard:

Hello CarlAx,

Well, based on that info you've provided, it's really hard to recommend a RAM if we don't know what the system is going to be used for. Assuming that you just want the best of the best, then go with the 64GB Dominator Platinum 2133 pr 2400, which are insanely expensive, and like what sKRUVARN said, you probably wont see the benefit in real world application when running 1866 vs 2400. Plus, you've mentioned that no overclock - If you are not going to OC, then it may be best to hover around 1866Mhz speed grade. Also, reconsider a 32GB kit over 64GB, I know cost is not an issue, but you can use the extra dough for something else.

Regarding the quad channel, your memory controller will run it at quad as soon that you put in 4 sticks to the correct DIMM slots.

Hello Greybeard,

Thank You for taking the time to help me. I greatly appreciate it.
Sorry about not including what I am going to use the system for, I missed that. I will be using it for gaming and as a virtual test lab environment.

Ok, thanks for confirming that the Dominator Platinum 2100 or 2400 would be the best but most expensive solution. And for clearifying that 1866Mhz would suffice for most usage and that quad channel will be activated automatically when using the correct configuration. All the answers I was looking for :).

I will be looking more into Vengeance Pro 1866MHz vs Dominator Platinum 2100Mhz/2400Mhz in more detail and try to make a decision next week so I can move forward in my build.

Best Regards,
/Carl