Gaming HTPC first build - INET. Please help (på svenska or english)!

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Registrerad
Jul 2011

Gaming HTPC first build - INET. Please help (på svenska or english)!

Dear Sweclockers!

This is my first post here and my first PC build, have been an avid reader of this forum. I have pieced together a PC that should serve as a Gaming HTPC: http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/591377/2011-07-05 I already have a Silver Power SP-SS750M 750W power supply. No budget limitations as long as the build stays in a good price-performance range (could go up to 10-12k SEK if necessary). My needs:

1) HTPC
a) want to set it up with WMC/Mediabrowser and stream music/movies through an Onkyo 608 receiver to a LCD TV. Does ASUS z68 + the HD3000 integrated graphics on the i5-2500k allow bitstreaming HD audio through a single HDMI cable from the motherboard to the Onkyo 608 receiver?
b) is my system energy-efficient enough to serve as an HTPC?

2) Gaming
a) only some light gaming initially (on the HD3000) before I later add a discrete graphics card (the PSU even allows for Crossfire/SLI in the future). Will the HD3000 handle older titles like Counter Strike 1.6, Civilization IV etc? Which is the best-bang-for-the-buck discrete video card at the moment, is it the 6950?
b) Will the system stay cool enough without a separate processor cooler? For the moment I'm only adding a couple of Gentle Typhoons 1430. Are those good?

3) Misc
a) Will try overclocking in the near future. What processor cooler would you recommend with the Vengeance RAM? Would the Hyper 212+ fit? What about Antec Kuhler 620 or Corsair H70?
b) With this motherboard, can I add two discrete graphics cards and also a TV tuner card?

Many kind thanks in advance to all responders. Please pardon my writting in english, feel free to reply in swedish.

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
Malax/Finland
Registrerad
Jun 2011
Skrivet av KBLV:

Dear Sweclockers!

This is my first post here and my first PC build, have been an avid reader of this forum. I have pieced together a PC that should serve as a Gaming HTPC: http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/591377/2011-07-05 I already have a Silver Power SP-SS750M 750W power supply. No budget limitations as long as the build stays in a good price-performance range (could go up to 10-12k SEK if necessary). My needs:

1) HTPC
a) want to set it up with WMC/Mediabrowser and stream music/movies through an Onkyo 608 receiver to a LCD TV. Does ASUS z68 + the HD3000 integrated graphics on the i5-2500k allow bitstreaming HD audio through a single HDMI cable from the motherboard to the Onkyo 608 receiver?
b) is my system energy-efficient enough to serve as an HTPC?

2) Gaming
a) only some light gaming initially (on the HD3000) before I later add a discrete graphics card (the PSU even allows for Crossfire/SLI in the future). Will the HD3000 handle older titles like Counter Strike 1.6, Civilization IV etc? Which is the best-bang-for-the-buck discrete video card at the moment, is it the 6950?
b) Will the system stay cool enough without a separate processor cooler? For the moment I'm only adding a couple of Gentle Typhoons 1430. Are those good?

3) Misc
a) Will try overclocking in the near future. What processor cooler would you recommend with the Vengeance RAM? Would the Hyper 212+ fit? What about Antec Kuhler 620 or Corsair H70?
b) With this motherboard, can I add two discrete graphics cards and also a TV tuner card?

Many kind thanks in advance to all responders. Please pardon my writting in english, feel free to reply in swedish.

Hi! and Welcome,

Well for
1)
a) i have no clue to that but i guess i should work
b) as long as all clocking options are set to auto it should be energy-efficient, mostly so it could clock down when idling
2)
a) Light gaming should be no problem, most-bang-for-the buck and energy-efficient would be the 6670 but it is to weak for gaming so try the 6870, it uses 58 watts less then the 6950 under full load and differs around 10 fps in crysis on ultra settings
b) for htpc use the stock cooler will be enough, but more intense gaming and cpu work might make the stock coolers fan noisy

3)
a) sorry but i see no use in overclocking an allready powerfull cpu as the i5 2500k
b) sure you can, depending on what kind of tv tuner card you choose but the motherboard have 3 pci-e ports so wouldn't be a problem

Asking in english is okey by my opinion as it is an international language

Microsoft sells you windows while Linux gives you the whole house for free!

Trädvy Permalänk
Medlem
Plats
Göteborg
Registrerad
Maj 2005

You can choose Vengeance Low profile memory or Ripjaws memory in order to eliminate comptibility problems with tower coolers.
Then Noctue NH-14D, Noctua NH-U12P, Scythe Ninja 3 or Scythe Mugen 2 can be used as CPU cooler. All are very effective (and big) coolers, that can cool an i5 2500K easily, even with the fans set at low rpm.
The noctua coolers include good fans that are low noise when the included ULNA adapters are used (the voltage to the fan is decreased by the ULNA adapter). The scythe coolers have reasonably silent fans, but I would buy adapters to lower the voltage to the fans to 7V http://www.inet.se/artikel/6308178/motstand-flakt-zalman12v-7... (similar as ULNA).

I would not use the default Intel cooler as I think it's too loud under load.

When it comes to videocards, I'd opt for a card with Asus Direct CU cooler or Gigabyte's non reference cooler. HD6850/HD6870/HD6950 or GTX460/GTX560Ti would be what I would choose, since they offer a decent tradeoff between power consumption and computing power. I'd lean more towards the HD68xx cards AMD cards though, as they offer a lower power consumption.

I'd skip out on the CF/SLI option though as the big coolers on the more silent cards are far from optimal for SLI/CF use, and the reference models are too noisy. Then there is the temperature issue with two rather power-hungry cards in a case with low RPM-fans aimed for silence rather than ventilation.

The Gentle Typhoon fans are a good choice, nice airflow but pretty silent. You might consider a fan controller, that way you can finetune the rpm of the fans to an optimal balance between sound and cooling.

As for the question if your system is energy-efficient enough to serve as a HTPC-system, i'd agree with Joovel. The system is energy efficient enough considering that it probably will be in idle or sleep-mode most of the time (if you configure the sleep mode and make sure speedstep is active).

~Pelle~